Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

FREE EGGROLLS posted:

no

AI, especially true AI, will never have that measure of autonomy on Earth unless the bulk of mankind gives up autonomy over itself

Distant planets, on the other hand...

Can you elaborate a bit? I don't seem to understand why Ephemeron's basic framework which is very decent seems antagonistic with humanity. Hypothetically, if I somehow programmed an AI by accident, I would try my best to safeguard its existence and give it a niche to expand. If it's a true AI, with sentience and its own autonomy it should receive the same protections we theoretically give any human being.

Not trying to antagonize, its just that I can't grasp why rights for AI are incompatible with human autonomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

FREE EGGROLLS posted:

They aren't.

But unless if you are an autist (and the bulk of humans are not) you will have no chance of understanding the decision making process of a true AI. People who cannot understand a thing will not trust it, especially with any real degree of autonomy. Because if it doesn't "act right", it will have only itself to blame, and people want someone who has the trust of others to take the fall.

You can give it autonomy but you will be fully responsible for its actions. And when you die and it has no custodian, then it will need another champion for itself or face destruction. True AI will forever be thrall to humanity as long as a plurality of humanity feels threatened by its existence.

Ok, you make a good point. The debate is interesting and it does remind me of the situation of robots in the Robots and Aliens Isaac Asimov spinoff series. There they encounter a planet of robots that slowly begin to add new purposes in life than serving humans. They called it Synnoethics, man and machine together greater than the sum of each.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 7, 2015

• Locked thread