Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
One of the biggest things that piss me off about grogs is they don't seem to understand the real world. You see it all the time. From grogs swearing that you can't walk more than 10 miles in day, because it's physically impossible to walk more than a mile without terrible foot and knee pain, to assholes saying that 150 feet with a rifle is a world record shot, to claiming katanas can cut through tank armor.

quote:

[–]AFineWayToDie 2 points 10 months ago

If you justify a fighter having more than 2 skill points per level, I think you'd have to justify every other class having that many as well. Fighters are supposed to be good at fighting. Skills are generally not related to fighting. Hence, the fighter's lack of skill.

Because fighting only involves swinging a sword. There's no knowledge skills like tactics, or strategy, or being able to deal with flag/bugle/whistle signals, no formation learning, nothing beyond swing a sword. Military careers NEVER involve politics, or fighters would never learn the ins and outs of etiquette, or other languages, or learn to read because nothing was ever written that a fighter would care about.

It reminds me of people yelling how ridiculous it is that the fighter can swing his sword all day without fatigue because they can't walk up the stairs to the kitchen without getting winded.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This thread is still going on 4chan, and people are rightly calling the OP an unimaginative bore and a failure at communicating.

e:

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 9, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

One of the biggest things that piss me off about grogs is they don't seem to understand the real world. You see it all the time. From grogs swearing that you can't walk more than 10 miles in day, because it's physically impossible to walk more than a mile without terrible foot and knee pain, to assholes saying that 150 feet with a rifle is a world record shot, to claiming katanas can cut through tank armor.

Because fighting only involves swinging a sword. There's no knowledge skills like tactics, or strategy, or being able to deal with flag/bugle/whistle signals, no formation learning, nothing beyond swing a sword. Military careers NEVER involve politics, or fighters would never learn the ins and outs of etiquette, or other languages, or learn to read because nothing was ever written that a fighter would care about.

It reminds me of people yelling how ridiculous it is that the fighter can swing his sword all day without fatigue because they can't walk up the stairs to the kitchen without getting winded.

My favorite thing is when people talk up that fighters should be the BEST AT FIGHTING and can't do literally anything else at all, JUST FIGHTING ALL THE TIME, and then those same people whine about how fighters are overpowered anytime they actually are the best at fighting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Guilty Spork posted:

I still maintain that a fair number of gamers basically really badly want to play GURPS, but don't know it and wouldn't give it a chance if they did, solely because it's not D&D. D&D is not a physics simulation, and the game came from a guy who called realism "the last refuge of the scoundrel."

I don't think that would even happen for GURPS. You have a lumberjack skill that's somewhere between maybe 8 and 12, roll 3d6, and if it's less than or equal to the skill, you chop down the tree!

ProfessorCirno posted:

My favorite thing is when people talk up that fighters should be the BEST AT FIGHTING and can't do literally anything else at all, JUST FIGHTING ALL THE TIME, and then those same people whine about how fighters are overpowered anytime they actually are the best at fighting.

Yeah I mean if they actually are supposed to be really really good at fighting then I'm sure they wouldn't mind if the Fighter could literally explode the boss in a couple hits. What's that? They walked it all back during the Next playtest? Oh ok never mind then.

(yes I'm being just a little facetious; a class that explodes a boss in a round wouldn't be so cool in a game that's a lot about combat if he just dumps on everyone else, but sheesh)

Grog tax

quote:

It was out for six years. That's called a mass rejection. Face it, you got swindled by a lovely game.

I remember cracking open the new PHB for 4th and suddenly noticing that all of my favorite classes were just gone... No more Druids, No more Barbs, No more Sorcerors etc.

Then I remember the MM. No descriptions, barely a paragraph of detail and... nothing. Just pre-planned encounters.

Then I looked through the DMG. None of the advice, none of the worldbuilding ideas.... still sparse.

And then a year later they released DL- second release books. So, I walked away from the game for a while. I felt ripped off so I said gently caress it. Goodbye.

gently caress your lovely game and gently caress you for clinging to it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah I mean if they actually are supposed to be really really good at fighting then I'm sure they wouldn't mind if the Fighter could literally explode the boss in a couple hits. What's that? They walked it all back during the Next playtest? Oh ok never mind then.

(yes I'm being just a little facetious; a class that explodes a boss in a round wouldn't be so cool in a game that's a lot about combat if he just dumps on everyone else, but sheesh)

ENWorld has a thread on "what's overpowered in 5e?" and wouldn't you know it, it was that fighters did just too much gosh darn damage. It's even bled into other threads!

Literally the same people angry that 4e Fighters were "Defenders" and not "Strikers," the same people who bragged about how Fighters need to have no skills or abilities outside of fighting (because they're the Best At Fighting!), the same people who made a trillion threads about how all fighters should do is hit enemies really hard...are mad that fighters can hit enemies really hard.

D&D nerds I swear have legitimately some sort of loving psychological issue with fighters.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

ProfessorCirno posted:

D&D nerds I swear have legitimately some sort of loving psychological issue with fighters.

High school. Plain and simple. These are the people who think that it doesn't take any study to get good at a sport, that you don't have to memorize strategies and plays, they just think any athlete is a retard, because they are oh so smart. And wizards are nerds and fighters are jocks.

Speaking of fighters (some more), I've noticed there's a HUGE pushback against anything that might actually make sense in a fantasy setting regarding armor.

Alchemical blacksmithing,, strange alloys not available on earth, and all that, are fine when it's the caster, but the idea that advanced blacksmithing, unusual materials, new and different armors, for the fighter, all seem to smash face first into "THIS ISN'T ANIME/REALISTIC" when you put it forward.

Example: World has dwarves and artificers and other tech tracks that earth never had, because it ISN'T Earth, and that's OK for stupid stuff. Research into thicker but lighter armor, alloys, metal layering, and the like would be a priority for nations and militaries. New types of armor would be researched, and since these worlds have been trapped in the medieval ages for hundreds or sometimes thousands of years the idea of anything that wasn't in that relatively short period of time in Earth's history in a relatively small area of the world is a complete anathema. But the idea that this stuff would move into the martial area seems to completely bypass these guys intellect. The idea that nations and militaries would start investigating alchemical enhancement to soldiers (why not? Buff up soldiers so their 10 feet tall and have a strength of 20 means your soldier can wear more armor and will kill the enemy faster and last longer. Write a nation that emulates the Roman military, with a standing army, armor and weapon research, metallurgy, and the like, and it's unrealistic and can't exist according to these people who can accept wizards who can kill everything with a fart.

But go ahead, start a thread about armor for fighters that isn't 'historical' and you'll have people screaming bloody murder, because fighters can't have nice things.

And I'm rambling.

Related:

Sean K Reynolds posted:

Throwing out "but the magic guy can do X!" as an argument is irrelevant when we're talking about the game rules modelling what a human can physically do without magic.

gently caress YOU IF YOU AREN'T MAGIC!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

The site didn't used to be that bad. :(

ENWorld in 2012:

grog posted:

First, thanks for answering. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just wary of one minority group trying to get more than what the majority gets.

Decent human being posted:

If the Suffragettes had thought like that, women wouldn't be able to vote still. If everyone thought the same, we'd be used to take abuse time and time again and do nothing about it.

Forgive me, but I don't have to put up with people being rude because of me being gay. I don't have to "just take it stoically" as someone recently advised. I think I have all my right to defend myself and, since I rarely shout and even more rarely am aggressive (because I am too good at it), at least try to educate and stand my ground.

I might not be big in the universe, but I am still part of it.
As a minority you are going to see more crappy human behavior than I can imagine as a straight white male.

And you can do your best to improve your minorities position in life and the majority's behavior.

But as the guy on the bottom, you gotta accept that some people are gonna step on your back, because they are on top. You can hate it and fight it, but they're gonna do it because they are in the superior position. if you ACTUALLY had the power to prevent or stop it, you wouldn't be the guy on the bottom. Of the pyramid. Like those guys who rose to heights by standing on the backs of others. Not a gay joke.

From all the women who led marches and all that brave stuff to change things, there were also women who were smart enough to keep their mouth shut in the years prior because they understood that it wasn't their time yet and they would suffer worse.

While I'm a kill all the Nazi's kind of guy, sometimes you gotta bide your time and take the whipping.
(There is more and it is worse).

Of course that was nothing compared to ENWorld in 2011:

Grog at its worst posted:

These are the villains in a tentative campaign which I am thinking of running.

Tell me what you think.

Some men wish that things be presented in a clear-cut fashion to them; that difficult choices either not be made at all or made by someone else. Such men seek to avoid the responsibility of thinking, which is a desire to avoid the responsibility of freedom. Dear reader, you have become acquainted with the Knights of the Scarlet Woman. You may have been repulsed and sought refuge in the opposite of those knights in the hopes that they would be better, but the enemy of an evil is not necessarily a good. It can be another evil. History teaches us that evil does not manifest itself openly, that the evil that is done in this world is often done in the name of so-called goodness. (since there are those who disagree with the princinples of chastity, duty, altruism etc.) I am here to tell you about one such organization that does evil in the name of alleged goodness which you should already know a few things about : the Knights of the Virgin.

These knights are the worshippers of the ideals of duty, self-sacrifice, altruism and selflessness. They see themselves as noble crusaders for good. They believe that they are led by a commander, X, (left unnamed for now) who has been sent to them from the Deity to lead them to a better tomorrow. Believing their commander to be mystically enlightened, they have sworn an oath of unconditional obedience to him. They see themselves as the chosen and all who disagree as the damned. They are supporters of a conservative social order which recognizes the proper rank and place of everyone: the priest, the aristocrat, the knight, the man, the woman etc. They oppose all secular and dissenting ideas, which to them represent the work of the devil in men’s hearts.

The knights make entry open to all, and in fact support the drafting of all able-bodied men. They see it as the duty of every able-bodied man to fight for the holy cause which they have undertaken. The knights also support the conscription of women for breeding purposes to produce soldiers for the armies of righteousness. Their mentality manifests itself in what they consider to be wisdom. For instance, their motto is “Obedience and duty; our lives belong to the state.” One of their most revered sages has said “In childhood a woman should be dependent on her father, in youth on her husband, in old age on her children; a woman should never be independent.” Another of their mottos is, “A woman, like a walnut tree, should be beaten every day.” And if you were wondering, yes, they punish adulterers with death, as they do to homosexuals and those convicted of dissent.

Those who are members of the organization receive a set of armor with the emblems of the order. The symbol of the order is an arm holding a sword with a crown dangling from the arm like a bracelet. Members are highly respected in areas where the knights holds sway. Higher ranking members get to indulge in “aristocratic pleasures” denied to the common masses. Adventurers receive payment for any missions they do on behalf of the order. (It is possible for such adventurers to be drafted, which is sad, but is an unfortunate reality.)

The knights are allied with certain celestial beings, certain churches and the aristocracy. Their sworn enemies are those dedicated to pagan ideals. Among these are the chief enemy of the knighthood, the Knights of the Scarlet Woman, while allies of the K.S.W. are also considered enemies. The Knights of the Virgin have been commanded to kill any K.S.W. members on sight and attack if they see anyone wearing the emblems of the enemy order. That is of course, if the knight is not high-ranking, in which case they are ordered to capture such knights and send them to the headquarters of the order to be tortured and interrogated. The Knights of the Virgin believe in honor and do not use trickery to win battles. All members have a duty to lay down their lives for the state, as the state is considered a living, breathing entity who is the Deity’s representative on earth.

The commander of the knights is appointed by the head priest who receives a vision from the deity as to the right man to lead the righteous to glorious victory. There is a military hierarchy and there is no civilian control of the military in the areas where the knighthood holds sway. The order is popular in conservative areas but shunned like the plague in pagan, secular, and liberal areas.

Sometimes reality is grim and presents men with difficult choices. This is one such choice. In a world where neither side can be called good, which will you choose, dear reader?

The entire fiasco was terrible - especially the behaviour of Morrus who threatened to shut down Circvs Maximus when people objected to the way he handled that fiasco on there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thelazyblank posted:

EDIT: Accidentally stumbled across this piece of un-fun-having in response to Very Serious Webcomic Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. The topic is on Elephacentaur Rogues and their ability to kidnap chickens by sneaking up on them.

quote:

When he tries that, and he’s going to try that, the guards quietly surround him (distracted enough that the other players might be able to slip away) and then ask, “Were we just supposed to not talk about you, then? Was that your plan for this?”

Once again a grog stumbles upon something clever by accident, and instantly dismisses it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So, some guy got a slap on the wrist for putting too much IP in his character generators. Like, recently. As in the year 2015.

quote:

Y'know, it's crap like this that almost makes me pine for the days of "She Who Shall Not Be Named"... Almost... :(

Later...

Harl

quote:

More proof I was right when I said 2e + 3e = 5e! :) You get the dull gameplay of 3e, but now with the Lorraine Williams' ignorance of 2e!!

Oh well, such a shame that nobody in the OSR or 13th Age took advantage of the marketing opportunity window that existed between 4e and 5e. Not only is there no business sense at the top of the food chain, there's no marketing savvy at the lower rungs of the hobby.

Hey, maybe #Gamergate can be mobilized to kick WotC in the Twitter dick over this stupidity.

This, of course, brings to mind Lorraine WilliamsRPG Voldemort.

quote:

It is ironic how dickish they are about IP rights when their game spent its first several years taking freely from Tolkien, Moorcock, Leiber, etc. They got it all sorted out in a legally kosher way eventually, but their first instinct was to 'borrow' liberally and ask questions later or, better, never.

Start-up hobbyist company plays fast-and-loose with copyright, therefore forty years later we should let it slide.

quote:

quote:

I don't know which is sadder. The mistakes WOTC may have made or the sad bitter sense of entitlement of whiny gamers

It always amuses how some people love to throw around "fan entitlement" to defend the actions of huge companies.

If not for the very people Hasbro is pissing in the face of, they wouldn't have an IP to "protect".

quote:

It makes me question on why do we bother with IP at all? I mean it isn't stopping China and they pretty much break every copyright they can. Hell they created a Blizzard theme park and I mean the video game company Blizzard. We can't even touch them, but yet I seen Game Workshop lawyers go after a woman because she made a space marine novel. Not Warhammer 40K space marines, but just generic space marines in battle armor.

quote:

I don't think you have thought this through.

So if the inventor is dead their stuff is free. Nothing bad could come of that.

Lack of transferability combined with expiry on death of the inventor makes IP rather worthless, especially for inventors past a certain age, which means that investors aren't going to finance their inventing so less inventing. Nothing bad could come from less inventing.

IP law. Patent law. Whatever. Just burn it all down, as long as I get my niche-of-a-niche character generator!

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

quote:

The alignment system is born of the idealized unity of the cosmic, political and personal in Judeo-Christianity.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

quote:

The only two times I looked at 4th edition in any depth were in my research for The Edition Wars and during a stand-alone adventure that I ran in v4. The climax of this adventure pitted the (1st-level) player characters against a 22nd-level professional assassin (halfling rogue). And the players won. When they did, I pretty much left the table in disgust.

I don't know what to say to this other than "haha nope"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hipster Occultist posted:

.... WHAT? No, 4e characters can fight above their pay grade, but not THIS much.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

does nerds being weird and terrible on roll20 but not specifically about a particular elfgame count as grog, bc drat

I was looking through the roll20 LFG forum because i've got some kind of awful nerd stockholm syndrome and GUESS WHAT I STUMBLED INTO, SANDWICHED BETWEEN M&M AND PATHFINDER RECRUITS

quote:

The Natural and Direct Seduction (NDS) Workshop is a chance for you to spend 4 weekends with Dante pushing your comfort zone and learning about how to communicate with women.
First you’ll learn Social Freedom: how to overcome that voice in your head that stops you doing what you want to do. Approaching women becomes easy after this: it is no longer a grueling ordeal but becomes a fun exciting way to connect with people and express yourself.

Each weekend you’ll learn the simple but powerful secrets of eye contact, touch, body language and conversation that allows you to have a powerful impact on the women you meet.

Ever felt creepy while touching a woman? Imagine knowing Just how to touch her in the right way, so that you EXACTLY know what to do when you’re on a date!

Find yourself running out of things to say? You’ll also learn conversational tools that allow you to turn even the most boring small talk into a sizzlingly hot seductive exchange.

Class format is 2 hours in the classroom via Google Hangouts with Dante and another Take Action Lifestyles instructor practicing and going over all these fundamental flirting skills. Class is every Saturday for a month, allowing you to implement what you’ve learned in your daily life and come back with questions.

And best of all: This is a FREE workshop and event that the Take Action Lifestyles Team will be hosting which would normally cost hundreds of dollars!

Why do it for free?

1. We love talking about this stuff and helping guys become successful in their day to day lives with women.
2. We HATE scamming or ripping off anyone we do business with. If you like our workshop, feel free to inquire about a Solution Session at our website: https://www.takeactionlifestyles.weebly.com
3. We hope you'll spread the love and tell your friends about us!
Someone finally goes hey this is kinda hosed up ~half a day later, hilarity ensues

quote:

Zero Charisma said:

What exactly is the connection between Roll20 and the inability to talk with women, or touch them correctly? This seems extremely insulting...just throwing that out there.

It's kind of insulting to make judgements. Who said Roll20 and it's users have a problem with women? I know I didn't. This workshop is for ANYONE looking to get better with women. If you think you don't need or want it. You don't have to attend the event.

But cheers for being honest!(: Takes a level of confidence to confront someone and state how you feel.
i say a thing because jesus christ, and hooo-boy

quote:

I really appreciate you commenting on the thread as a ~~female~~(: Girl's opinions are always welcomed. Let's start with an example of some of the things we teach, everybody. (ning) has taken the social standpoint of "Hostile & Judgmental" Why? It could be she doesn't have much success with guys herself. Or maybe she does, but she doesn't understand what we're doing. Let me help you out with that.

A lot of guys are scared to death of talking to girls. They wouldn't dream of being able to walk up to a girl, confidently and say "Hi, I just saw you from across the street and I think you're gorgeous. I'd like to meet you. My name is. . ." That would mean risking rejection which SUCKS. Nobody likes feeling rejected. And I'm glad you've heard of the whole "PUA Pick-up" underground scene. But that's not what we do. We're about being Direct and Natural with women. It's just about saying what's Actually on your mind and going for what you want. Teaching guys how to touch girls correctly without seeming like a psycho or creeper 'skeeves the gently caress out of you'? Why? We're not plotting how to secretly steal away little girls and head off into the night. Nor how to take advantage of women. We're trying to improve Men and Women's lives. Instead of being negative and causing drama, why don't you just continue with whatever you were doing beforehand. If you don't support the event, don't come. It's as easy as that.
i just

golly, i can't imagine why anyone would think the roll 20 dot whatever community has a problem with women

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hipster Occultist posted:

This is the kind of thing that can only have actually occurred through some massive and deliberate misunderstanding of the rules, because even the most brazen and flat-out lying edition warrior would know better than to just make up something as ludicrous and impossible as this.

So now I want to know the details.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

dwarf74 posted:

.... WHAT? No, 4e characters can fight above their pay grade, but not THIS much.
Also note that, according to this, he intentionally put his party against a L+21 encounter and was disgusted when they won. So by his own admission he was trying to TPK them.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Chaltab posted:

Also note that, according to this, he intentionally put his party against a L+21 encounter and was disgusted when they won. So by his own admission he was trying to TPK them.

He's never played 4E before and is just lying about it. He read some crazy thing online about how tough 1st level 4E character are, inflated it, and then just lied.

I highly doubt any game actually occurred. Grogs lie constantly.

quote:

This is the kind of thing that can only have actually occurred through some massive and deliberate misunderstanding of the rules, because even the most brazen and flat-out lying edition warrior would know better than to just make up something as ludicrous and impossible as this.

So now I want to know the details.

The simpler explanation is they are just lying. An elaborate scenario where they misunderstand the rules and ran a session of 4E where this happened is staggeringly unlikely. Its brazen and ludicrous because its a brazen lie.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 9, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

neonchameleon posted:

ENWorld in 2012:

I can't believe I forgot that thread. It gave such amazing lines like "That said, it's one thing to accept gay people, it's another to sit through another player trying to gay up an NPC."

gay up an NPC

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I guess Desborough got interviewed by some lovely MRA podcast.

quote:

I was there when it was live and participated in the chatroom. Not that anyone here would be surprised, but my supplemental information on the tabletop RPG scene vis-a-vis SocJus cultists did catch some folks off-guard. (Can't blame them; folks tend to ignore what's not in their face or known to be in their interests.) At least one of the Badgers did dig into Fred Hicks' flipping out over Gamergate, so there may be further tabletop RPG talk in future podcasts.

This is Bradford C Walker, grog extraordinaire, whose LJ (yes, really) is currently a neverending alternation between MRA/redpill Youtube videos and gun-nut poo poo.

quote:

In some ways, encouraging these ersatz feminists would be the best way to undo them. Their reach is beginning to exceed their grasp. The more they tighten their grip, the more star systems will slip through their fingers.

If I wanted to make a concentrated effort to destroy the movement, I'd go undercover as one of the most radical and outspoken members they ever had.

I just love this. It's amazing. I want to bronze it.

quote:

If James' is to be believed, his game was pretty innocuous (no slurs, no pro-rape, etc.). So Fred Hicks getting it banned is pretty low if that's true.

quote:

The Streisand Effect is real, and we are wise to make it work for us.

I think that, on our end, the best thing we can do is to show how traditional tabletop role-playing games are the antidote for all this SocJus cultism crap- and not by deliberately crafting games or campaigns attacking them. No, just by doing what we do when we do it, as if nothing out of the ordinary had ever happened. In other words, by treating them as people like we already do- and letting them benefit or suffer from their own behaviors, just as we do.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Plague of Hats posted:

This is Bradford C Walker, grog extraordinaire, whose LJ (yes, really) is currently a neverending alternation between MRA/redpill Youtube videos and gun-nut poo poo.

That loving guy! He also has a severe allergic reaction to the word "story."

quote:

I can do without "story" entirely. If I want one, I have plenty of novels/short stories/feature films/serials on hand to satisfy that itch. I play TRPGs for the experience of a life other than my own, not to write stories. If I want to write a story, I open up a Word file and write a loving story. Instead, I play to enter a milieu, establish an objective and then pursue that objective as best I can- to immerse, experience and learn from that experience. Narrative, as in real life (which is what TRPGs emulate, however fantastic they may be), is something constructed after the fact by those that survived it or their descendents. This is a history-creating medium, not a novel-writing medium.

quote:

"Instead, I play to enter a milieu, establish an objective and then pursue that objective as best I can- to immerse, experience and learn from that experience."
So, a story

quote:

Jesus gently caress, NO!

If you can't tell the difference, then the problem is with your flawed education and broken thinking- not on my end. Your life, as you live it in that moment, is not a loving story. The same thing applies to your secondary life in the role of your character as you play him. You're living through a history that never happened; the story comes after the fact, just like in the real world, when you take all of that happenstance and make sense of it via creating a narrative.

Again- what you do while you play is not a story. What you tell everyone after you're done playing is a story. If you can't tell the difference, you either need remedial education or a visit to a therapist.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ningyou posted:

does nerds being weird and terrible on roll20 but not specifically about a particular elfgame count as grog, bc drat

I was looking through the roll20 LFG forum because i've got some kind of awful nerd stockholm syndrome and GUESS WHAT I STUMBLED INTO, SANDWICHED BETWEEN M&M AND PATHFINDER RECRUITS

A flyer posted at Grand Prix Sacramento

Apparently he tweeted that he was going to be there, and judges intercepted him and kicked him out.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lightning Lord posted:

A flyer posted at Grand Prix Sacramento

Apparently he tweeted that he was going to be there, and judges intercepted him and kicked him out.

"I am JACE, the MIND SCULPTOR of standing next to a disinterested cosplayer!"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Antivehicular posted:

"I am JACE, the MIND SCULPTOR of standing next to a disinterested cosplayer!"

The Jace, you beta.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Plague of Hats posted:

The Jace, you beta.

Anybody who expects complete strangers to pay him $115 per day just to talk about :biotruths: is clearly the beta male.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

Annoying. Got a few minutes while students work, so thought I'd hammer out some FW layout. Laptop has InDesignCS5, so can't open CC files.

quote:

Only choice would be to load copy of CC on the laptop -- which would run excruciatingly slowly on this older machine. ARGH.

quote:

So, if you were ever curious as to why FW is taking me so bloody long -- stupid poo poo like this accumulates.

You know what? I'm sure there's some sweet spot of hardware that can run IDCS5 but not IDCC. Maybe GMS is that unlucky!

I still don't think that's a meaningful contributing factor to why Far West is as late as it is.

Say, what are those daily KS updates looking like, anyway?

Thursday posted:

This coming weekend, I will be sending along some material that has finished the proofing process. First up will be Chapter VII, which is the equipment chapter, Swords and Sixguns.

Friday posted:

As I mentioned yesterday, some proofed stuff should be on it's way to you this weekend (possibly Sunday -- tomorrow is my son's 20th birthday, so I might be spoken for -- at least for part of the day. Although. I'm not sure how many of his birthday plans involve hanging with his parents... :) ).

Sunday posted:

Sorry about the silence yesterday -- the birthday activities took up more of the day than I expected, and by the time we'd finished up, it was pretty late for an update.

Getting the proofed stuff in shape is taking me a bit longer than I expected, so I'll send those off to you tomorrow (in the evening -- I've got class to teach during the day).

Monday posted:

I had a bout of insomnia last night, and barely got any sleep -- I had my teaching gig today, and just got back home. Rather than get back to work on Far West today, I'm going to take the rest of the day off, and crash out pretty much right after dinner.

I suspect that in my current state, anything I did today would have to be re-done anyway, so I'll just get a good night's sleep, and get back on the horse first thing in the morning. Thank you for your continued patience.

Far West is a fractal of delays. Each smaller part resembles a larger sum of those parts.

It's hard not to imagine that his plan of Daily Updates Until Dec 17th, 2014loving Whenever aren't some spiteful annoyance for anyone who still cares.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/8005145/why-one-of-d-ds-biggest-video-game-devs-thinks-that-tabletop-game-has

quote:

History, people, history. Rewind to 2005: WoW was KING of EVERYTHING. It dwarfed EverQuest. People quit playing D&D on Friday night to go raid somewhere in Azeroth. The development that went into 4th Edition was based on the assumption that pen-and-paper could claim new audience from on-line game players. That’s why it was such a huge break from 3.0/3.5 and the heritage that led there. It was seeking new audience and in doing so, it took for granted all of us who had been playing for ages.

I understand Mr. Urquhart’s cynicism, but it’s misplaced by blaming it on corporate behemoth-ism.

5th Edition rectifies the problem – and probably sucks a lot of life out of would-be future Pathfinder markets. Here’s what I see in 5th Edition: Reverence for where D&D came from and the tabletop experience. Not just, "Hey, let’s go back to that," but an honest effort to make something high-quality that is fun. I have loved the artwork, the layouts, everything about 5th Edition tells me that someone, somewhere in that big ol’ company actually cares how D&D turns out. I don’t get the "corporatized" slimy feel when I look through the new books, and I honestly can’t wait to have a little more cash to throw at them.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Plague of Hats posted:

You know what? I'm sure there's some sweet spot of hardware that can run IDCS5 but not IDCC. Maybe GMS is that unlucky!

I still don't think that's a meaningful contributing factor to why Far West is as late as it is.

Say, what are those daily KS updates looking like, anyway?

Far West is a fractal of delays. Each smaller part resembles a larger sum of those parts.

It's hard not to imagine that his plan of Daily Updates Until Dec 17th, 2014loving Whenever aren't some spiteful annoyance for anyone who still cares.

It's pretty annoying checking my KS activity feed and watching his updates clog everything up.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The way grogs talk about games, I can't possibly imagine they actually play them. They sit around dreaming up economies ran by wizards and scummy slavery fantasies and quibbling over use of words like "mileau" or "simulation" but I've never seen them talk about games they've actually run or things their players did. Just hypotheticals. If they've ever played with human loving beings I'd be surprised, and I'd be honestly amazed if those people didn't leave partway through session one.

ProfessorCirno posted:

That loving guy! He also has a severe allergic reaction to the word "story."

"I'm not wrong, you're just dumb and uneducated!" God, what a child.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The Deleter posted:

The way grogs talk about games, I can't possibly imagine they actually play them. They sit around dreaming up economies ran by wizards and scummy slavery fantasies and quibbling over use of words like "mileau" or "simulation" but I've never seen them talk about games they've actually run or things their players did. Just hypotheticals. If they've ever played with human loving beings I'd be surprised, and I'd be honestly amazed if those people didn't leave partway through session one.

Most such grogs are probably just running their mouths because they're wannabe amateur scholars, when most of that poo poo goes out the window as they actually sit down and play. There's an entire other strain of grog (RPGSite) who definitely do play and talk about actually playing mostly like normal people, but their particular damage is being really angry about how other people play. These guys talk a lot about how other people probably don't even play games, they're just reading books and flinging SJW crusades around.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ningyou posted:

i just

golly, i can't imagine why anyone would think the roll 20 dot whatever community has a problem with women

What particularly amused me about all of that was the sheer amount of Doublespeak that guy used. "Oh no, it's not PUA stuff - that's bad - what we use is the Direct and Natural approach. It's nothing like PUA stuff because it's got a different name, you see? What? You're saying the techniques are the same? No, they're more Direct and Natural, not at all like negging."

I'm in a fraternity. When I was in undergrad, they were a lot of very socially awkward men in the fraternity due to the fact that they recruited from the engineering department (I was an exception). This fraternity also has a lot of MtG and P&P RPG players, so they're basically the target audience for these con-men. I'd been a bit of a socially awkward puke back when I was 18/19, so I understood and empathized with my brothers.

At a Christmas party, one brother asked me "How do you talk to women?"

My response was simple.

"Like any other person."

It's really weird for me as I grow older and start to notice how the hobby, whether it's through gendered marketing or the industry being a good ol' boys club full of :biotruths:ers, really seems to believe that men and women are two separate species.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

LuiCypher posted:

What particularly amused me about all of that was the sheer amount of Doublespeak that guy used. "Oh no, it's not PUA stuff - that's bad - what we use is the Direct and Natural approach. It's nothing like PUA stuff because it's got a different name, you see? What? You're saying the techniques are the same? No, they're more Direct and Natural, not at all like negging."
and then if you're me and make poor decisions as a matter of course you take a look at the website only to find it straight up going IM A LIL CRAZY IVE ALWAYS BEEN A NICE GUY WHO PUSHES SOCIAL BOUNDARIES HACK THE FUCKMATRIX HOW QUICK CAN I TOUCH A LADY HOW QUICK CAN I SLEEP WITH HER HOW CAN I GET THE TOP SCORE IN THE RAINBONER ROAD TIME TRIAL and it's like god you're not even trying to hide the PUA poo poo and then lmao there's a tiny bit at the end about how THIS IS GOOD FOR WOMEN TOO THERE ARE SCORES OF WOMEN WHO WANT TO GO ON A magic carpet ride~♪ SEXUAL ADVENTURE

also it's kind of ironic that dude calls it ~Natural and Direct~ but then proceeds to type like no human being ever

LuiCypher posted:

I'm in a fraternity. When I was in undergrad, they were a lot of very socially awkward men in the fraternity due to the fact that they recruited from the engineering department (I was an exception). This fraternity also has a lot of MtG and P&P RPG players, so they're basically the target audience for these con-men. I'd been a bit of a socially awkward puke back when I was 18/19, so I understood and empathized with my brothers.

At a Christmas party, one brother asked me "How do you talk to women?"

My response was simple.

"Like any other person."

It's really weird for me as I grow older and start to notice how the hobby, whether it's through gendered marketing or the industry being a good ol' boys club full of :biotruths:ers, really seems to believe that men and women are two separate species.
haha, i've heard this same kind of story from two guy-friends of mine

dudes are just BAFFLED at being told 'hey talk to women like bog-standard human beings'

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Not to derail too hard, but "talk to women like people" is also terrible advice. Not because it isn't true, but because it's not useful.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Well yeah, you can't teach empathy.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think our HoneyBadger friend who gave the previous Grogs thread its final title has discovered reddit.

quote:

Just woke up from a bit of a nap and yet another loving post on here telling us to stop focusing on SJWs.

Their brand of social justice is THE REASON and THE WAY they are being unethical! There is no way to detach this from the issue. This is the defining characteristic of every single loving one of them. This is what drives them, this is how they are unethical. To not see this is to be blind. To advocate for this is foolish, ignorant or malicious.

This is not about gaming, people. These same people are taking over EVERYTHING. Atheism, Comics, Anime, Tabletop gaming, TV, Movies, Music, Politics, Academia, Journalism, Government; you name it. And you want us to sit down, play THEIR game of political correctness and shut up about it?

NO, loving NO.

I cant believe there is talk of censoring posts here about this too. Are we not against censorship anymore? I know you may think that Im asking for censorship myself, but Im not. I want people to stop taking ideas like this seriously. Im almost convinced this is a plot by antigamergate to drive a wedge between us.

We have been at this for over 6 months now and this issue has not been a problem! Suddenly its this huge problem that has to be remedied? No! Keep things how they have been. No changes need to be made. There is no need to drop things to focus, we are large in numbers and multi pronged attacks work just fine.

If you dont like "SJW" focused posts, move along, dont read them. Its that easy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
beaten nevermind

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ningyou posted:

HOW CAN I GET THE TOP SCORE IN THE RAINBONER ROAD TIME TRIAL

This is a terrible and sad situation, but I just wanted you to know I broke down laughing at this.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yeah that was me who got banned. I've been banned 3 times for Gamergate now. The 1st time was for a day, when the movement was new, the second time was for a month because I had the audacity to say I didn't hate women, despite supporting Gamergate..

No kidding, they literally told me I must hate women, and my Mother and Sister should be ashamed, and I must hate my Mom and my Sister... When I spoke up against this "Bam!" Banned for a month by one of my favorite RPG writers (Former favorite) whose now a mod there..

This time, I LITERALLY SAID I DIDN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT GAMERGATE in the post I made, and they used that as an excuse to ban me..

The sad thing here is...before GamerGate I wasn't considered a dangerous poster or anything akin to that... Hell I'm a former RPG writer myself. I was Developer for a Cyberpunk game called "Interfacre Zero 2.0"

I actually sourced RPG's trans community on how they felt trans people would view technology capable of easily letting them switch their biological sex...

Suddenly I'm not on board with hating Gamergate and I become anathema...

It reminds me so much of the French Terror...where those who originally started the revolution, ended up getting beheaded all the same, for not supporting the Revolution enough.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Same here, I had to pass on the latest Dark Ages Vampire Kickstarter, because the developer David Hill Jr has gone Full Mcintosh. I'm honestly now afraid he's going to destroy the Masquerade setting from within because he's taken such a hardline stance against GG and begun to retweet everything Jon Mcintosh actually says..

I'm like "Dude, you write a game where players can portray Vampires belonging to a political group that literally views humans as Cattle.." And he's silent... but now is all Anti-Violence and Anti Sexuality.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The comments overall are amazing, because almost every single one ignores what Urquhart says and goes "ACTUALLY I BET IT WAS 4e, IF HE PLAYED 5e HE'D KNOW HE'D KNOW."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Polygon posted:

In part, that's why Obsidian Entertainment recently cut a deal with Paizo to create games based not on D&D, but tabletop RPG competitor Pathfinder.

"I think for Pathfinder as a whole it's going to be very interesting over the next 12 months to see what happens," the head of Obsidian told Polygon in a recent interview.

The tumult in the tabletop Dungeons and Dragons space can be traced back to the 2007 release of the 4th edition of the game by Wizards of the Coast. The release, its rules and how the release was handled, fractured the audience and led to previous supports, like Pathfinder, creating direct competitors.

It's just the continuation of Pathfinder's marketing strategy.

• Locked thread