Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

quote:

Finally, when it comes to game mechanics, I don’t buy into systems that treat PCs differently than the rest of the world. Suspension of disbelief plays a large part in this, because such a mechanic is antithetical to the world view of my faith. Christ gave eternal life to all of humanity when He went to the cross and rose from the dead.

Edit: For context, this is capstone of an argument about why 1 GP = 1 XP is the best XP system and that said XP system should apply to every single sentient creature in a game universe.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

quote:

The alignment system is born of the idealized unity of the cosmic, political and personal in Judeo-Christianity.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

redditor 1 posted:

I've only played a little bit of GURPS at conventions, and both times the GMs avoided fighting and focused on skill rolls.
So what's it like? Is it no fun? Too complicated? Unbalanced? Totally awesome?

redditor 2 posted:

Gurps combat is great. Its got hit points which are the best way of tracking wounds. Extremely simple and everyone knows how they work (a default iq roll for citizens of 21st century 1st world countries). It does not have escalating hit points like the worlds most popular rpg so there is always some tension even for the big heroes. You don't jump off a cliff in RAW gurps because you very well could die. High skill is demonstrated by defense rolls. So your big hero is probably not going to get hit a lot. This presupposes that your big hero can perceive the attack. If not, no defense roll. This means that surprise and ambush are terrifying in Gurps, since in such situations you probably will be hit and you probably have less than 15 hit points. In addition, you have a very limited number of defenses so taking on multiple foes is really, really dangerous even if you are a big hero. This means ganging up is crucial in gurps combat. Most combats that seem to take too long are because the gm / players are not properly saturating defenses. If you insist on 1 vs 1, and you are the big hero with high skill, you can use the deceptive attack or rapid attack options to score a hit even through a prepared low skill enemy is defending. Even if you can't do this, your GM should be having low skill mooks all out attack (determined) which means they get no defense rolls. As a consequence of this proper use of mooks, they should be dropping like flies. Finally, Gurps has rules that put the combat on the hex grid and also tracks facing. This turns Gurps combat into a chess match. Position range and facing are everything and can provide opportunities to bypass defenses, reduce defenses and allow attackers who are safely out of range to try all out attacks. If that wasn't enough gurps has optional rules for such cool stuff like hit locations, bleeding, striking at weapons and shields, critical hits and fumbles. Its awesome but you need to understand the nature of the defense roll which is the heart of the system and the gm needs to run combats accordingly.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

Redditor 1 posted:

I've published a few Pathfinder modules, and I've tried to include the possibility for non-combat solutions to encounters. However, it occurred to me that there aren't many modules out there designed specifically to cater to RP-focused players.

So here's the question: How would you go about designing an RP-focused module? Can it be done?

Redditor 2 posted:

Exploration would be good. Your party is tasked with delivering some important MacGuffin across the deadly Frost Peak mountains.

Redditor 1 posted:

You're describing an exploration module. I've never actually read one. You'd have to figure it exists though, and I'd love to get my hands on an example for comparison.

:confused:

Redditor 3 posted:

Aside from more narrative approaches, if it's in Pathfinder you can always fall back on my favorite: old-school dungeon crawls with no combat. Just one-huge trap-filled gauntlet.

:allears:

Redditor 4 posted:

Maybe some sort of Vancian type of system for social techniques

:psyboom:

• Locked thread