Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ningyou posted:

HOW CAN I GET THE TOP SCORE IN THE RAINBONER ROAD TIME TRIAL

This is a terrible and sad situation, but I just wanted you to know I broke down laughing at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

To be fair I can see the reasonable objection "If the kingdom is good and basically everything works fine where's the room to justify people who go around invading monster castles and looting them?". In a kingdom where you're not ostracised, economically disadvantaged, at any great threat, etc, becoming an adventurer seems a suboptimal life choice. That said, it's hardly a slam dunk, given I'm aware you have some kind of creeping Chaos-like encroachment on reality or something?

Equally, I'm fully aware nobody's actually saying "It's difficult for me to see someone deciding to be an adventurer" rather than "GOOD??? PEOPLE???? HOW???????".

There's like four pages in the book itself (pp. 38-41) that are "here's your major threats to Aldis HTH" and several of them stem from Aldis being built basically in the ruins of the Evil Empire. Well, more accurately, some of the domains of the ancient and fell Sorceror-Kings, which is like ten evil empires all grabbing each others' throats. So if the actual holdout Sorceror Kings in the far frozen desolate north aren't enough monster castle for you, here's something:

The Sorceror-Kings were always building secret portals into each others' domains where they'd walk outside the world into mad nothingness and then pop back up for an ambush with acceptable losses, and we don't know how they work. We don't dare disassemble them after the Earthberg Incident and trying to understand them is just going to make another Tevyn the Empty, so by and large we try to build around their ideal geographic locations and hope really really hard that some awakening psyker doesn't sneeze three times while walking backwards or whatever those things are willing to accept as a portkey.

So yeah, a village built in a big curve around one of these gates has suddenly vanished, replaced with a dark stone castle mottled in impossible colors. It swallowed up our guardposts and the only reason we know about it is that a Roamer girl went into the woods to pick wildflowers and turned around to get a face full of nightmare. She and her rhy-horse are on their second food troughs in the solarium and as soon as they've found their courage you are all headed out there to explore an impossible castle, face unknown threats from beyond the lands we know, and save as many people as you can. Ride well, Knights of the Blue Rose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Achmed Jones posted:

Just to be clear, 'romantic fantasy' in the context of Blue Rose means a different tone than standard fantasy, not 'my characters are going to spend all their time wooing and courting and politicking,' right? 'Cause the setting sounds awesome, but I really have no desire to run a primarily political game, and a strong distaste for love story/soap operas in tabletop RPGs.

"Romantic fantasy" is about adventuring to come together rather than to set yourself apart.

If you're familiar with Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces you know that a big part of what he calls the Hero's Journey is going to a separated place, crossing a threshhold, entering another world, seeing and doing wonders, and then coming back to the ordinary world with the wonders a far-off memory.

Romantic fantasy is adventure from, in, and for the wondrous world. Magic, for example, is not some esoteric discipline secluded in a tower, but the stuff you watched Uncle Vasha do at the forge growing up. There can be those sorts of sequestered magics but generally they're the baddies because their powers are trying to invade the wondrous world.

And often what motivates people to adventure is their desire to find their own place in this wondrous world and protect it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Darwinism posted:

It's funny and depressing at the same time. Is there some specific German word for this?

Weltschmerzfreude?

Granted, my understanding of German is that you just keep piling on vaguely related words until they're all in the word sandwich.

• Locked thread