Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ningyou posted:

i just

golly, i can't imagine why anyone would think the roll 20 dot whatever community has a problem with women

What particularly amused me about all of that was the sheer amount of Doublespeak that guy used. "Oh no, it's not PUA stuff - that's bad - what we use is the Direct and Natural approach. It's nothing like PUA stuff because it's got a different name, you see? What? You're saying the techniques are the same? No, they're more Direct and Natural, not at all like negging."

I'm in a fraternity. When I was in undergrad, they were a lot of very socially awkward men in the fraternity due to the fact that they recruited from the engineering department (I was an exception). This fraternity also has a lot of MtG and P&P RPG players, so they're basically the target audience for these con-men. I'd been a bit of a socially awkward puke back when I was 18/19, so I understood and empathized with my brothers.

At a Christmas party, one brother asked me "How do you talk to women?"

My response was simple.

"Like any other person."

It's really weird for me as I grow older and start to notice how the hobby, whether it's through gendered marketing or the industry being a good ol' boys club full of :biotruths:ers, really seems to believe that men and women are two separate species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ocrumsprug posted:

It's just the continuation of Pathfinder's marketing strategy.

I like how blame is placed on 4e fracturing the base and not, uh, Pathfinder basically lifting 3.5e's rules for the low, low price of free and deliberately engaging in edition warring to drive their sales.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ronwayne posted:

Given nonsensical population demographics re: hive worlds and whatnot I'm assuming humans also reproduce by sporing.

Actually it's spontaneous generation. The number of humans on any given world is roughly proportional to the amount of trash on said world. Trash is the primary molecular component needed to generate new humans.

Shadow Isaac posted:

Grog Post? I mean, half the time this stuff is kind of ironic but not in a good way.

"Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk. And if there are any girls there, I want to DO. THEM."

Effectronica posted:

it's fun to see people dancing around the fact that 40k is fascist on sex

Fixed that for you. Yeah, it's really hard to notice that 40K takes place in a future fascist grimdark hellscape and is fascist about pretty much everything. I think the posters above are just glad that regardless of what's been written before by GW and fanboys, the WH40K RPGs deliberately avoid extremely skeevy territory. They're probably the best introduction to 40K, and definitely the least expensive.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2015

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bieeardo posted:

Pretentiousness.
Blogs.
Freedom of speech.
*flounce*

With the free square, I think that's bingo.

I'll just leave this here:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The DM judges the moment, chooses 2d6, decides that no matter what he's closing the book and leaving the table.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand why BRP is so beloved by its cult audience. (I mean, I know that's the nature of a cult audience, but...) I'm sure BRP was a breath of fresh air when it was a relatively simple, intuitive alternative to AD&D, which was a hash of various wargaming rules. But there are other systems that are even simpler and more intuitive; it's just one of several percentile systems out there. I have nothing bad to say about it, much as I have nothing bad to say about plain oatmeal and blank printer paper.

RPGsite. I expected the "everything is poo poo now because a change happened!" but I didn't expect the storygames conspiracy theory to rear its ugly head in this case.

The "storygame" mechanics they're making GBS threads their pants over is...the ability to spend Luck to improve die rolls. The Luck stat has been a part of CoC for decades. Oh, and a "push" rule that lets you repeat a failed roll with a risk of critical failure, that prevents you from rolling the same test over and over until you succeed.

It's probably because it's practically synonymous with CoC at this point and there have been relatively few changes to it. I mean, people probably genuinely expected that 7e CoC would literally be a reprint of 6e with better art given the trend of changes made to it over the years.

Given that it's got a groggy audience, I can't say that I'm surprised that they're complaining about big Quality of Life improvements that speed play. The Resistance Table is a godawful relic from the 80s and it's nice to know that players are no longer expected to carry around a massive inventory of flashlights, mirrors, and 10 foot poles. The move to "if it makes sense for the character to have it, roll Luck and you have it" is great, in my opinion.

At which point, a more clever person might tell me to play Trail of Cthulhu. In which case, that's going to be one of my pick-ups at Gen Con this year.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darwinism posted:

I think this is my favorite completely bullshit line

What are you talking about? The tech sector won - we're all just the wizard-nerd's helpers. The real world and the fantasy world have collided.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

alg posted:

Or are you happy because the picture is so androgynous and the skin tone is so ambiguous, that I cannot tell whether the person is male, female, or whatever their skin tone is, thus representing an androgyne of any race? because I honestly can't. Its like I'm looking at the 404 error of identifying features here.

My fiancee saw that picture at Gen Con in FFG's booth and was super-excited that there was a picture of a woman being a badass Jedi with nary a boob popping out of her blouse.

Also, saw some more drow there in blackface this year. But I did not see the really bad blackface on a white guy trying to be Blankman, so improvements!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ettin saved RPGNet.

There, I said it.

Anyways, that Dead Level Grog. Maybe it's because we're all kids and babbies these days and we need our constant rewards, but eliminating dead levels is Good Design (tm). Eliminating levels is probably Better Design altogether though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

spectralent posted:

Levels do some things well, particularly if you want people with comparable abilities in a single field the game focuses on, such as combat.

Yeah, I can definitely dig that. The shame is, the game that is so insistent upon levels (D&D) does not in any way make people's abilities comparable across levels (though 4e tried to solve that).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

"3E was a natural evolution of 2E, it even had a conversion guide!" is probably the biggest bullshit argument someone has actually pulled on me during one of those conversations.

Wait, where was this guide in the core rulebooks? Because I don't remember ever reading it or knowing that it existed, and even if it did it wouldn't work all that well.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheTatteredKing posted:

So they phone it in with 5 until all those idiots die or get bored. Then "6th" comes out that's reskinned 4. Brilliant!

If only - it will most likely be 5.5, which will be designed by the Only Two People with a true vision of what Gary Gygax intended for D&D!

Currently Smoking: My own poop wrapped in burnt maple leaves I found on the ground.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

LatwPIAT posted:

And then there's the guy that came up and simply said, "But why do you have the bad edition of Dungeons and Dragons?"

Immediately ask "Why is it bad?" See if they hit grog bingo when it comes to 4e, which include any of the terms "MMO" "WoW-like" and many others!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, there was someone that posted a thread about how he was homebrewing a new combat system and was asking for input about this idea he had:

The attacker rolls to attack, but the defender also rolls to defend. If the defender is successful at their roll, the attacker can still miss even if they passed the attack roll.

What do you think, guys?

I don't think anyone has ever done that in an RPG ever. It'd be a totally revolutionary mechanic for RPGs in general if he could just figure out the math and make it tight.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I've started calling this particular kind of thinking "oatmeal logic", after Larry Wilmore had a line on his show where he explained that for nerds, a thing is only a thing if it's exactly like the first time the nerd experienced it. So if a nerd eats oatmeal for the first time, and the oatmeal has maple syrup in it, any subsequent oatmeal without maple syrup in it isn't oatmeal. I've seen behavior like this across the nerd spectrum; it's completely irrational, but it's how grognards' minds work.

That's it! They've got 'oatmeal brain'.

Oatmeal logic is probably a better term as it has less potential to be offensive.

Plague of Hats posted:

I wish it were easier to find "+2 bribery for a barrel of mackerel in a port city makes me angry" grog. Sadly, insane sexism and racism seems much easier to find.

Why does my DM keep telling me I can't find holy water in the church?! I should be able to get as much as I want for free because I'm a Paladin! Honestly, he's just an rear end in a top hat atheist DM for doing this to me, of all people!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

That's really all that needed to be said.

I loved it when that grog said "this doesn't have anything to do with my interpretation of hp" when it has everything to do with his interpretation of hit points.

Like, yelling someone's arm back on would matter in a system like WH40K RPG where wounds are distinctly tied to physical integrity and the loss of them results in the loss of arms, legs, heads, etc. but as the thread has said, hit points are meant to be an extremely abstract measure that has no impact on the game until you hit 0. I think Pillars of Eternity and 4e nailed down hit points as a resource instead of something that people imagine latching a whole buncha' crunch on to. Warlord just gives you a way to replenish an abstract resource in the most awesome ways. Someone posted the Muscle Warlord somewhere a while back, and the concept is awesome in getting swole, having an intimidating flex, etc.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

senrath posted:

Oh, tons. Mostly from people who only have experience with pre-3.5 Psionics and refused to accept that things changed.

I had a player who cheated viciously at the table (his favorite thing was to roll his d20, pick it up right after it settled, and give me a number in the 15-20 range) so I did not let him play psionics in my game because I knew he would never subtract his power points, or at the very least he would subtract numbers way under the total power point cost.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FMguru posted:

Oh man...

Yes, that's actually McCracken's business card.

But why isn't his quote "I created the World of Synnibar"?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

You go to order a hot dog. A man beckons you into what appears to be a hot dog store. When you enter, your eyes glaze over. There's all kinds of spices and ingredients from what appears to be everywhere the world over. Upon closer inspection, however (and under the gaze of the eerily smiling proprietor), these ingredients appear to be what the proprietor thinks the ingredients actually are. The Ghost Pepper jar is empty, with the owner telling you that there is literally the ghost of a pepper in the jar, which is sitting next to a bag with whitish bits in it called "God's Teeth" which are really just mint Chiclets. You pass on the ominously titled "future spices". He attempts to sell you all manner of fake sausages, from smoked raccoon (it looks like a hot dog) to centaur burgers (wait a minute, is this actually a veggie burger?) His smile never leaves his face, not even upon encountering your now-bewildered countenance. You ask him to just make you a hot dog, but then he asks "What kind do you want?" You look for a menu, but can't see one. "What kinds are there?" you ask foolishly. He laughs, smiling even bigger. "Why, anything you imagine, you reckless dreamer!" He attempts to offer you one whose recipe he claims to have gained from a robot-chick riding a space-cycle shooting a Kamehameha at a dragon. You decline, and ask for a basic hot dog.

There are no hot dog buns.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

My best guess is World of Synnibarr, but the hot dog vendor needs to claim he's a polymath genius and a martial arts master.

If I do that, then I need to add Jedi to the list of qualifications as well.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Paizo's dev team seems to have had a vendetta against combat maneuvers. For reasons that I can only assume included the words verisimilitude, mouse cord, and huffing our own farts. The first big blow came from splitting up all of the feats meant to make you good at combat maneuvers into two feats. In 3.5 improved trip meant you could trip without penalty, got a +4 on the check, and could hit anyone you tripped with another free attack. In pathfinder improved trip gives you a +2 to trip and just means you can do it without penalty. To get the other +2 and free hit you need to take the new feat called "greater trip". This pattern held true for all combat maneuvers.

The size bonuses/penalties were actually drastically altered from 3.5's. In 3.5 the combat maneuver bonus/penalty was 4 per difference in size category while in pathfinder it's flat based on your size without caring what size your opponent is going from human size at +0, to +1 at ogre size, then +2, +4, and finally +8 at the largest size of colossal. So if size was the only thing changed and you remained human size pathfinder would have made it easier to perform combat manuevers. So say if you wanted to grapple the Tarrasque in 3.5 he'd have a +16 bonus against you while in pathfinder it's only +8. Unfortunately one of the things to consider is that the main way people got good grapple/tripe/etc checks in 3.5 was through shapeshifting magic to make themselves gigantic. So when the size bonuses were nerfed without changing any of the other math or target numbers this made actually making a good grappler much harder. It ends up that grappling normal dudes is harder than before but still mostly manageable assuming the enemy is not specifically building to counter grapples. Yeah you probably have a tentacle grafted onto your body, a pet octopus, and weird body spikes but you can manage.

More stupid were the changes to trip. 3.5 had a generic rule for more stable creatures such as those with many legs getting +4 bonus on checks against trip. Pathfinder expanded this to +2 defense against trip attempts per leg past 2 you had. This runs into issues that should be obvious where things like a centipede or giant spider are impossible to trip in almost all cases. Additionally immunity to trip was handed out like candy. In 3.5 the only creatures immune to trip were incorporeal creatures, swarms, and like 2 slug monsters. In Pathfinder this immunity has been extended to anything without legs, all oozes, most aquatic creatures, and all flying creatures. The last one is the kicker that basically makes tripping worthless past early levels. The last and most non-nonsensical nerf was saying you weren't allowed to trip someone as they got up if they provoked an attack of opportunity.

If he hadn't stopped playing RPGs and did not have a very good job in the Pacific Northwest, I would swear that these rules were made by a GM friend of mine who had a vendetta against me and another friend. We played an evil rogue and monk, and we basically tumbled from person to person in combat with the monk tripping them (via improved trip) and both characters would start elbow-dropping the poor bastard on the ground. Remember - rogues get their bonus sneak attack damage against tripped targets. I think we gave him PTSD when he had a L9 Warpriest and his two henchmen get People's Elbow'd to death without landing a single hit against the two of us (we were at the minimum level for the monk to get improved trip automatically, by the way). Hulkamania was running wild in that campaign!

What I'm saying is tripping people is awesome as hell and the hate-on that Pathfinder's devs have for tripping is strictly anti-fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's one of the dumbest changes from 3.5 and there's a reason I just choose to ignore it. Also tumble was radically nerfed as well.

Sounds like the Monk/Rogue combo pissed in some Wizard's coffee and they decided that only 'magical' classes were allowed to have narrative control/fun.

• Locked thread