Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The way grogs talk about games, I can't possibly imagine they actually play them. They sit around dreaming up economies ran by wizards and scummy slavery fantasies and quibbling over use of words like "mileau" or "simulation" but I've never seen them talk about games they've actually run or things their players did. Just hypotheticals. If they've ever played with human loving beings I'd be surprised, and I'd be honestly amazed if those people didn't leave partway through session one.

ProfessorCirno posted:

That loving guy! He also has a severe allergic reaction to the word "story."

"I'm not wrong, you're just dumb and uneducated!" God, what a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I still don't get this whole "STORY GAMES AND RPGS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RPGS AREN'T STORY GAMES AND STORY GAMES AREN'T RPGS"

I don't play a lot of RPGs,though, I have literally only played a few different D20 games, World of Darkness, one session of Shadowrun, a couple sessions of Serenity, and a couple sessions of that old Marvel RPG with the stones instead of dice, so maybe I'm the one who's missing something.

Here's a clue - there's no difference. Games like Apocalypse World, Dog Eat Dog and Dread are as much RPGs as D20 stuff and "storygame" is a bullshit smokescreen used by grogs to define What They Like from Things That Are Bad And Wrong.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It has a use. Someone, I'm pretty certain it was Avery McDaldno, said that when she tried to tell a lot of people about RPGs, their eyes just glazed over and they lost interest because they assumed it meant video games or stinky nerd poo poo about titty witches riding dick dragons. But storygames? You can get well-adjusted people who aren't Gamergaters to play that.

I love Avery McDalno's stuff but she cannot have been explaining it right. I've managed to get a guy who has never played RPG's before playing a dwarf with 47 kids in 13th Age, abusing his network of family contacts to get poo poo done. It really depends where you put the emphasis in your explaination and I agree that if you don't do it right then it is gonna be dismissed as nerd shite, but if you boil it to basics then people are willing to at least try.

Plague of Hats posted:

I even would really like some industry-wide formalized language to emerge around these subjects, but the weird hatred for "narrative" means the well may be hopelessly poisoned.

Yeah, I'd love more codified language for rpg mechanics and approaches because it would make my hobby as unfinished rpg writer a lot easier. But when people are using "story-game" as both a pedestal and a swear word then nothing's gonna get done.

I also don't get how Vince Baker's so villified for Apocalypse World or whatever when he also made Mechaton, a game about making little lego mecha blow each other up and screaming about orange glowy chainsaws.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So nobody worth listening to gives a poo poo about Poison'd anymore. Good to know!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

GM: "So, I'm planning to introduce elements of X and Y to upcoming adventure. Oh, and you know what? I came up with a peculiar idea just now. It's about Z. How about that guys?"

#1: "Uuuuuuhmmm, nope, I'm not interested in that."
#2: "Sounds fun".
#3: "I'm not sure whether it's kosher according to my paradigm, so no".

GM: "Hmmm, ok... Well... That makes my scenario impossible to run and I really wanted to run it. So... I don't know, what do you want to play?"

Players unisono: "Yet another boring, predictable, safe thing, yaaaaaaaay!"

GM: "I hate my life".

SO. loving. CLOSE.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I am really appreciating the SJW to skeleton plugin right now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
John Wick continues to be an idiot, sky remains blue, birds fly.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

quote:

Its kinda like when every racial group in the world claimed the trade federation aliens in Episode One sounded like them. I heard Native Americans say it, I heard Chinese say it, I heard Japanese say it.
Funny. No one said they sounded Irish.

(Maybe that's because nobody wants to sound Irish? One never can tell.)
What the gently caress does this even mean, you goddamn insufferable shithead? The reason nobody said the racist comedy aliens in Star Wars sounded Irish was because they didn't loving sound Irish! What stupid GBS-level "makes u think" bullshit are you trying to pull?

quote:

4. It is a rulebook comprised completely of rules.
It's a RULEBOOK. You know, with RULES. The rest is fluff and can be loving ignored. Hell, 13th Age has an entire cosmology and backstory, and my group's basically only taken bits of it besides the required Icon stuff. If a RULEBOOK wasn't mostly composed of RULES TO PLAY A GAME I'd demand a refund!

quote:

And, my friends, that was only the second time in recorded history John Wick couldn't think of anything to say.
Judging by the zepplin-levels of hot air in this blog post, I can believe it.

Christ, what a blowhard. And this dude wrote a book about how to make your players get up and leave the table via GM dickery too.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty much. History has proven Wick right on a lot of his broad points, even if some of his specific points are still wrong. But his style of argument sure makes it hard to agree with him, doesn't it? Granted, a lot of it for him was personal with Dancey, and knowing Dancey as we do now, it's not hard to see why why might be so angry. I wouldn't transpose Wick from 2000 too hard onto his current material, not that he's stopped being who he is, but he's less temperamental. These days he's written a fair amount of d20 material, though none of it managed to overshadow WotC's material as he once hoped.

He wrote a book on how to aggressively gently caress over your players.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
He kickstarted a sequel to the book on aggressively screwing over your players.

Like I don't understand why Alien Rope Burn feels the need to defend him. Sure, he's not a transphobic slime or regressive corpsemonster like some of the people featured here, but he's a rear end-backwards, passive-aggressive douche who rides on the coattails of two thematic but deeply flawed RPGs he was involved in. He's got all the nerd failings like having super-cool mary sue characters and factions and inserting his wife as the hottest character, nd he admits to making his daughter (iirc, probably don't, correct me please) cry during a game session. If you're trying to make me feel sympathy for him, Sisyphus has got a boulder he wants help pushing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

I don't think ARB is defending Wick, just illustrating some points about him and clearing up any potential confusion related to the titles he's worked on.

Okay, that's fair enough.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
ARB, I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before, and it's probably not going to go anywhere this time either. I'm going to step away from it because I just end up annoyed whenever John Wick materializes.

Pfox posted:

"You can roleplay or 'roll-play' in any system, and if you roll-play, you're not doing it right and are a bad gamer."

"You cannot roleplay in 4e."

???
Grogs need every aspect of the world described to them or they cannot attempt roleplay in any significant manner. Obviously 4e's mechanics mean it's not going to be feasible to reskin it as, say, a mecha game, but you can use your goddamn imagination to describe HOW your wizard casts magic missile, or what appearance or shape your psionic's powers manifest as. My Revenant Battlemind is a skeleton, so when he uses Nightmare Vortex is call it the BONE ZONE and describe a whirling rift of death and skeleton parts.

Someone remind me, because I don't have the books to hand - does 4e have any mention on using powers outside of combat?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

spectralent posted:

It not only mentions how to adjudicate it (5 minutes of time for an encounter power to recharge) it also has a class of utilities that're basically only useful outside of combat or in skill challenges and had the entire Ritual system which let anyone, not just wizards, use utility spells like Tenser's Floating Disk or Talk To Animals or whatever.

Also 4e mecha isn't completely ridiculous and I've commonly considered running it as such.

Well there you go then. I saw someone try and run the 4e mecha game once but it didn't get off the ground very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Serf posted:

Yeah, this is what I don't get about these arguments. Wouldn't the fun of playing your character only be enhanced by actually being effective at doing stuff? I can't see how balanced combat capabilities for classes could possibly detract from the fun of the game.

I think it's part of the social aspect of RPGs. Most people don't realize what aspects of a game are bad design. If they're having fun being a boar-riding hobbit, they might not necessarily notice that they're being outshone by the wizard unless something really egregious happens. Hell, my 13th Age games is solely martial classes, and their relative ineffectiveness gels with the comedic tone of the campaign, so the players would probably give me funny looks if I started discussing why the fighter and barbarian aren't necessarily good. It's not their fault! It's just that it can be hard to separate the experience felt at the table with the mechanical aspects of the game unless you're willing to step back and evaluate things more objectively.

Grogs aren't willing to do that. Suggesting that the classes you're playing as is ineffective mechanically seems to tell grogs that they're not having fun right, or something.They're very invested in concepts and ideas but can't separate it from mechanics, which is why "narrate harder" is a common response to the DnD problem of martial needing to play Dm-May-I and use skills as opposed to the Wizard's "Do A Thing" buttons. After all, it's a narrative! Just narrate harder and you'll do cool poo poo!

I suspect there's dissonance with that and the general lack of tracking wizard components, but I'm typing too many words already.

• Locked thread