Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I read with a little irritation the recent thread about the trend toward humanising orcs in TRPGs, by a refusal to accept orcs as naturally or irredeemably evil. Instead, according to this trendy view, they must be human in monster drag with comprehensible human motivations, with perhaps some psychological window dressing. I wonder at this trend. Enlighten me: is it part of a general trend in fantasy games to humanise all monsters, so that no monster can simply be evil, but must essentially be a human and find its evilness in terms of its humanity? Is this a robust trend or a probably short-lived one? How much of this trend existed in original/old school TRPG participants and was perhaps overlooked?

----

Some will always want to humanize everything. That is just how some people are. It's not a trend, but there are more of them here on the boards then the people that think otherwise, because reasons.

Old School players are of a different mindset. There is no middle ground between the two.

--(discussion re: racism)--
Perhaps, but that is an ABSURD parallel to draw. Christ, way too many people taking things way too seriously in this thread.

I think people feel that they need to humanize monsters because of:

1. Intense narcissism manifested by assuming just because creatures share some traits with us (intelligence/sentience/sapience) they necessarily share all of our traits/values/behaviors. Just because you can't imagine them being different just because they share a few traits with us doesn't mean they cant be radically different, that's simply a failure of your imagination.

2. Taking things at the table WAY too seriously; really, leave this stodgy philosophical crap for real life.

Strongly agree with the OP. This is an obnoxious trend; one that thankfully has remained on the forums and out of most games I play in.

----

Come down off the high horse and stop irresponsibly injecting controversy where there is none.

The behavior you describe is an inextricable facet of human biology, a trait passed on due to its usefulness in helping previous generations survive and reproduce. We are a species that relied on visual input and rapid processing/decision-making to carve out our evolutionary niche...and it still serves important purposes today.

Not that such a thing really has anything to do with the OP's point, but people in this thread have stretched it out into an absurd exaggeration that needs deflating.

----

The issue here then seems to not be an inherent problem with the idea of irredeemably "evil" races/species/etc. Instead, lack of thought and bad world-building leading to unfortunate implications.

One of the reasons racist sterotypes were so effective is because they tapped into pre-existing fears and ideas that grabbed the imagination. The idea of savagery and bestial urges lurking beneath a veneer of civilisation were still there before racism came into the picture. People just tapped into that and turned it into a weapon of hate by applying it to actual people instead of supernatural monsters (like werewolves for example).

I think that the idea of personfying these fears to use in a story is still a valid literary tool and can be done without reinforcing racism. Like...take Pathfinders Africa-pastiche in their campaign world Golarion. There is a ape-man demon lord that sends out chattering ape-men minions to do horrible things to the surrounding people...who are black tribespeople. They fight against the ape-people and are just as good and intelligent as the people in the europe/amerca/etc countries. Are the ape-men racist? They certainly make use of imagery that could be quite racist. But I think there's a very clear dividing line that stops the unfortunate implications.

----

Every time I see threads like this my stomach clenches up. The debate swiftly becomes a litmus test for real-world racial beliefs and a competition to prove who is the most enlightened. Some few attempt to bring reason to an emotion fight and suffer a predictable backlash, and after a fairly short time the outrage- Outrage, I tell you!- wanes until the next time someone raises the topic, when it flares up just as brightly as it did before.

So let me ask you all this: How many times, and I want examples, have you personally encountered these kind of situations in games you've played in? What was the average age of the players involved? Can you cite proof or even circumstantial evidence that the GM or the other players were deliberately inserting or attributing characteristics to the 'Orcs' of your game that were stereotyped insults directed at you, your background, or your beliefs? Most importantly, has this been the predominant theme in your gaming experience so far?

If not, then please stop arguing that fantastic simplification automatically equates to real racism.

This has to stop. Posts that insist this have to stop. Threads that raise this have to stop. I can't tell you how utterly wearying it is to read smug, sanctimonious, and simplistic attempts to assert that using [insert fantasy creature here] as Teh Evul RaceTM is really an attempt to justify or perpetuate some hateful personal belief using RPG mechanics. "Bob the DM is using Orcs as the bad guys in his campaign? Clearly he's a closet racist! " Please, just desist.

----

Why? Because not everyone on this forum is necessarily in agreement with that sentiment, which hinges on an absurd slippery slope argument to make the connection between generalizations about fantasy creatures begetting real-life racism. I think it's incredibly irresponsible to inflame people by suggesting a serious link between the two.

It also completely disregards any differences between the biology of different in-game species (for example orcs and humans)...biology which may result in profoundly different spectra of behavior for each species. Silly as it is to talk about this type of thing with respect to elf games, that's where this thread has wound up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So what you're saying is, all creatures in game can only ever have positive traits lest they be considered some analogue that offends some person who was once called whatever the insult happens to be. Frankly, that sort of player isn't going to get very far in life, that level of thin skin and ability to project into things that aren't all that similar to themselves is going to make them offended by pretty much everything. This isn't just for orcs either, other races all have these various traits that are just as negative, removing those traits and just making them picture perfect people who can do no wrong sounds really, really awful. I mean, even creating a villainous human nation is going to rub some people who are like that the wrong way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Frankly, I get tired of being told that I'm racist because of my skin color. And that carries over into being tired of being accused of it for having likes that the speaker has decided he is offended by.

We have a very loud and vocal subculture of the professionally offended in our society, and it's doing nobody any good.

If you see "yourself" in the orc tribe your party is expected to slaughter, ask yourself why. What about them reminds you of yourself? Is it their mode of dress? I'm pretty sure that there's no mode of dress amongst medieval fantasy characters that really translates well to modern clothing options; are you saying you identify with a mode of dress because "it's your ancestors?" You are not your ancestors.

More importantly, though, why is your party attacking them? I doubt it's because they object to their style with dyed leather and carved animal bones. Though maybe it's the carved demihuman bones. But even then, for what it implies, not for the decorative effect.

Are you offended because you see yourself in the orcs' behavior? Which behaviors? Are those behaviors why the party is attacking them? If so, then perhaps you're right to be offended...or you need to re-examine your own behaviors.

I doubt, however, that any of us is a pillager and rapist who burns villages down while taking their stuff. If we were, I'm not sure I'd want to be gaming with them.

Even when orcs are "always evil," it tends to be because they're acting the part that adventurers go after them. To stop them and their acts of evil.

I mean, it's not like any one race or culture has an exclusive on being stereotyped (subtly or not) as "always the bad guy." Watch Law & Order; at least nine times out of ten, if you see a rich white person (particularly if they're religious), they'll turn out to either BE the killer, or to be somehow morally culpable for the killings.

Same with the "oh, it's a CEO of a company; he's obviously the villain" trope.

So I do sympathize, but seriously, grow a thicker skin. Unless the behaviors you see in your "monster race equivalent" are totally benign when you do them, but characterize anybody who engages in them as "always evil," you're probably not being targetted.

I feel like we have gotten to a point where the cries of "racism" are, themselves, racist, because they just assume that all actions of a particular race are motivated by it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That's why they pass around the collection plate. Follow the money :tinfoil:
Well, it explains how God got to be so high level, but how the hell did Jesus do all these miracles, with him being so poor? Verisimilitude busted.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bendigeidfran posted:

Oh hey they're discussing Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes' layoff on EN World! No wait they're discussing her layoff on EN World :(
The site didn't used to be that bad. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is that person seriously using D&D modifiers to justify his racism
Is that person seriously saying that he believes the real world works just like D&D
Is that really what is happenning right now
Clearly an elf getting +2 Dexterity is just like how black people have a -2 intelligence in the PHB.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

It was long ago enough that it'd be a pain to try and find again, but essentially, it was the realization that commoners wielding an axe will never roll high enough damage to bypass a tree's hardness.

Hello. My name is Jo. I'm a pretty average fellow. I have a strength of 8. Hey, don't judge. We're not all built to lop off the heads of a hydra, you know.

One day my demanding wife asks me to go out and cut down a tree. I grab my trusty hand ax and walk out to the field. I run my thumb across the edge of the ax. Boy, it sure is sharp. Taking my time, I line up my swing. The ax hits the tree dead on.

Hmmm. Not a scratch. Let me try that again.

Oh no. What gives?

Forgive me if what I'm saying here is persnickety, but for some reason I'm bothered by it.

My hand ax does 1d6 - 1.

The tree I'm trying to cut down is (for argument's sake) about 10 inches thick. That means it has about 100 hit points. Since it's wood it has a hardness of 5.

Clearly, I can not do enough damage to overcome the hardness of the tree. I can not cut it down. I can not chop firewood.

My family freezes that winter.

(I suppose I can work in the probability of factoring in critical hits, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to take way too long to hack through the tree even so.)

Or perhaps I'm a halfling, and I use a small sized hand ax. This creates the same problem.

So. My question is: am I missing something obvious here in the RAW? Can a guy with a strength of 8 actually chop wood? For instance, is there some rule that allows automatic criticals against items?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hipster Occultist posted:

I don't know what to say to this other than "haha nope"
.... WHAT? No, 4e characters can fight above their pay grade, but not THIS much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
In a thread about how awesome the 5e Champion is....

----

I just don't understand why this is even an issue. You want options? Play something else. There is plenty of other martial classes with options. If your hang up is that they don't have as many as a caster, then play a caster. Making statements of this type is fruitless.

-----

The caster has more options, yes. No one is really arguing that. But the champion hits harder, tanks harder, and his options last all day every day. A lot of people don't realize how big those three things are.

----
(I swear I am not making this post up.)

Champions are encouraged to get creative with their strength, dexterity, and con via remarkable athlete. If you want real world applications of that, it means that champions are pretty good at giving massages, can carry much heavier objects, and can last a long time in bed. One could keep coming up with uses for the physical stats, and therefore the champion advantage to checks with those stats. It's not a reality warping spell, but there is a lot you can do with it.

:ironicat:

----

I'm responding here because this argument is silly. You are correct, telekinesis can lift more. Tenser's can carry more. Now, next question. Does the fighter need to prepare either of these? No. Why? Because his abilities don't require preparation. He just does them.

The argument that a caster can do anything anyone else can do is a fallacy. While it is true that the "possibility" exists, that in no way means it "will be".

In my experience, more often than not, the casters just don't have the right stuff memorized for the moment things like this crop up. Nor does the party have any inclination to wait for them to change up their spells. This is even more common with the shrunken spell lists.

You're position is flimsy at best. It does exist certainly, but its a flimsy argument.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

You're a dragonborn barbarian for godssake, are you wondering if it's EDIBLE??? If you eat the whole loving doorframe, I'll let it count as a pound of food. Who else in the party wants to eat this loving dungeon? 
I may be terrible, but I thought this bit was legitimately funny...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

I like a lot of things that 5e brings to the table. However I'm not liking the high HPs and high damage its reminding my a lot of World of Warcraft.

There is no reason to give high hps and damage. Again going 1d6 to say 4d6 is still better without going as far as 44d6. Sorry I will never be a fan of high HP or Damage. That is what turns me off when it comes to most video games now days.
5e is too much like WoW, folks.

Time to wrap it up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I've seen, Tito tried to play it neutral, which meant being attacked by sealions for not being a True Believer, then ultimately being kicked out by Macris (the guy who's literally bragged about SPENDING HIS WHOLE LIFE PREPARING FOR THIS WAR), only to be snapped up by WotC for reasons nobody is entirely sure of yet.

Of course the thread about him on ENWorld ended up becoming sealion con 2015, more or less revealing just how terrible ENWorld was.
His hiring seems to be disproportionately pissing off MRA shitheads, so I suppose I'm in favor.

And too bad about circvsmaximvs going to poo poo. That was my internet forum home for about 2 years. :( Haven't been there in like 5, but whatevs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Poster says, "I want to create an oathless paladin." What kinds of responses do you think he got?

Come on. You know it's "You're playing D&D wrong."

tarlison posted:

I was thinking if we could design a non neccesarily evil variant of an Oath Breaker .... i was thinking this type might be called Ronin, Oath of the Wanderer, The Fallen, the Oathless or maybe all of the above although it would be understandable if other Paladins simple calls them Oathbreakers too .I was thinking thier powers and spells might be more on weapon combat enchamcement and mobility got an idea on the spells he gonna have give me some suggestiom these are the spells im thinking of :
Paladin Level Spells
3rd Expditious retreat, Heroism
5th Magic Weapon,Misty Step
9th Haste, Elemental Weapon
13th Dimension Door,Freedom of Movement
17th Passwall, Destructive Smite
if you have any suggestiom or someway to complete this paladin type please post it here

Grand Warchief posted:

The problem you have is that a Paladin without his oaths has no where to get his powers from. He has no direction and no guidance. He is essentially a fighter.

Wolfsraine posted:

So... a cleric?

Flashy posted:

I have to agree with the people above, this concept has confusing fluff. Who is giving this (essentially fallen) paladin her powers? True Neutral doesn't work terribly well as the basis for a class founded in championing ideals.
If a player came to me with this concept I'd probably say that this should just be represented as a fighter or a cleric.

Lord Raziere posted:

"Paladin" and "doesn't believe in their oath anymore" are mutually exclusive things. Paladins are the Oath. They are nothing without them.
try Fighter with the Acolyte Background.

eastmabl posted:

So... a warlock with an acolyte background? That's how I hear this going.
You just come up with a new pact - a Pact of Oath or something.

Giant2005 posted:

Do you? What is the middle ground between a Jedi and a Sith? The answer is the same for the Paladin: A commoner.

Giant2005 posted:

But they do.
Paladins are empowered by the force of their own conviction - you can't be convicted to mediocrity.
Without their Oath or rejection of their oath to drive that conviction, they have nothing to devote themselves to. They are nothing.
An Oath is as intrinsic to a Paladin as spellcasting is to a Sorcerer. An Oathless Paladin is in the same vein as a magic-less Sorcerer and neither should be particularly impressive.

Hyena posted:

There already is an oathless paladin in the game. It's called "fighter".

Psikerlord posted:

The defining aspect of a paladin is the oath. Otherwise he's a fighter or cleric. Every paladin comes with baggage that restricts their choices. Such is the price of being a paladin.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just...

------
Thief/rogues, a character class that should not be?

I'm not saying they're overpowered or something like that, I question the morality of this class.

I mean seriously, why would thieves be a core class along side soldiers and intellectuals? And really, who would want to go on any sort of trip with a guy who's likely to rob you? And that's the best case scenario: he could just sneak attack you and walk off with all your belongings, leaving you to rot in the middle of nowhere.

I mean, in all seriousness why would you have a class that is by its very definition a criminal? Yeah okay, adventurers tend to be racist and essentially genocidal, but at least they aren't a problem to their own society.

They kind of fixed this with rogues, and not just with the re-naming. You don't have to be a pick-pocket if you so choose. But it seems that the only reason to bring one along is to deal with traps. And they still reak of 'criminal', despite the fact that they can be any alignment.

Why do I have such thoughts? Well, I was reading up on stuff about the Kender (I'm only really familiar with the Forgotten Realms, just so we know), and everywhere I see criticism of them being kleptomaniacs. Also a lot of criticism of them (and halflings) being infantile, but that's not relevant here. But I do agree, why would anyone tolerate a race of kleptomaniacs? It makes no sense. I certainly wouldn't see a miniature and somewhat immature thief as cute.

Not that I'm trying to troll, but I honestly don't see why this is a core class. It seems more like something you would see in the supplements that detailed the assassin and blackguard class. And playing on that NWN server, most people played their rogues as either thieves or assassins (though strangely enough, few were evil, though most were chaotic neutral). I mean, at the very best they're grave-robbers and spies.

Why is it that one of the classes by its very nature has to be either selfish or evil? Unless you go with a robin-hood character, I don't see anyway you could be good (and even that is questionable, I don't recall hearing anything about robin hood stabbing people in the back). I mean seriously, what kind of a decent person would have a skill set like this??? The things you excel in are lockpicking, sneaking around, disabling people's defenses, and stabbing people in the back. Oh, and you can also be a pick-pocket.

Is there anyway to play a rogue that isn't an obviously atrocious individual? I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't understand why this class is one of the standard options. Clerics make sense, druids make sense, fighters, monks, wizards. Yeah, sorcereres and barbarians are iffy, but sorcerers is more just the stereotype that having a high charisma means your character is arrogant. And just because you prefer brute force in combat doesn't mean you're evil, its just a different tactic. And besides, barbarians don't have to be stupid. I mean Conan himself was fairly clever, and just because you like brute force doesn't mean you can't be good at other things, like smithing or riding or whatnot. Honestly, you think about it intelligence is kind of a dump-stat, since really the only characters that have high intelligence are wizards, for everyone else its only above charisma on the priority list (unless you're a paladin or sorcerer or bard or something else that relies on charisma). Heh, you think about it there's actually more classes that rely on charisma than there are for intelligence! But that's kind of a tangent...perhaps something for another thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I wasn't going to post this until I was hit by the killer combo of, "I only know Forgotten Realms," and holding up Conan as a moral standard.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
ENWorld hates it when people ask if 5e's license has been released.

The only reason this thread pops up again and again is that people are passive-aggressively protesting against WotCs decision not to prioritize any license.

In a most irritating and completely useless manner; since WotC isn't basing it's business decisions on threads at EN world.

So, yeah. It would be far preferable if new threads were started, since that would mean these people would have to retype their arguments.

More work means fewer posts. And each time, the arguing would get lighter, just like time heals all wounds.

Meanwhile, when and if any real info becomes available, all these threads will be instantly ignored for new ones.

Meaning that, yes, there are all kinds of reasons to lock this sucker and put a lid on the infected bile.

PS. Especially if the main reason for a monthly "overwatch" is simply to circumvent Morris' decision in the first post. That is, to make this shambling mound never get five months old.

Folks, a rotting pile of leaves is still a rotting pile of leaves no matter how often you stir it.

------

LEAVE %E ALONE!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FireSight posted:

I paid $150 for one out of print book for WFRP 2e. I am one of those people. *sob*
Wait, which one? I might want to sell all of a sudden.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
One of my players, a brilliant if eccentric fellow, has built a character that I am having a very hard time conceptualizing. This forum has a track record of getting me to reconsider my hardline restrictions, and I have no desire to just say "no" to creative character concepts so I am asking the playground to try and argue on his behalf.

The character is a Halfling Monk with the street urchin background. He only builds characters using backgrounds and traits from the book. My player's idea is the character ran away from home, spent a couple years on the street, and then got picked up by a monk who took him to a monastery. It seems to me that the discipline required by the monk class conflicts with a large portion of the street urchin traits. The monk class seems to demand that the character spent formative years training in a monastery which conflicts with the idea of an Urchin background that is really sensitive to the urban heartbeat. Now I know I have the power to hand wave a lot of this and just let it be, but the idea seems like it would wreck verisimilitude a bit. 

I suppose part of the issue comes down to a specific question: are some character classes incompatible with certain backgrounds? I think an Urchin Druid would be a troubling pairing for instance. Is this an inflexible and unreasonable position, or should I ask him to rework the character?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, I may be a little late to the party, but I would like to way in on the 4E= WoW discussion.

I personally played and enjoyed World of Warcraft for 10 years. Before that I played other MMOs and the Warcraft RTS games for another ten years. I would hardly say that I am someone who disliked WoW.

When I look at WoW vs. 4E I find three major sources of comparison:

1: Lack of Strategic Play

World of Warcraft allows characters to more or less come into every fight at full strength. Your performance in previous encounters rarely if ever influences your chances with the current encounter. In World of Warcraft I would say this is a very good thing. It allows every encounter to stand on its own and be exciting (at least in theory. A lot of trash pulls in dungeons now serves no purpose except to pad out the length of content).
I remember in Everquest trying to solo and having to sit for upwards of half an hour to heal to full between fights. Even in groups mana regen buffs were the most valuable thing in the game and players would have bards who did nothing but sit in the corner playing songs to speed up resource regeneration. This was terrible.
I remember a lot of people praising Halo with its regenerating shield system as a break through in FPS design as it allowed you to treat every encounter as a standalone showpiece challenge. Now it seems like every FPS has a similar mechanic whether or not it has any in universe justification like the Halo shield.

4E does something very similar. Few status conditions last longer than a few rounds, let alone an encounter. Healing surges allow people to recover from almost any injury in a matter of hours. The AEDU system allows you to, aside from daily powers, be completely refreshed between every fight.

In theory this should work out cool, as it eliminates the 15 minute adventuring day and frustrating situations where you have a run of bad luck / decisions and have to abandon the quest. But, on the other hand, it makes combats dull. Most fights have virtually no chance of actually killing the PCs (which is good, as you can't just respawn at the graveyard and try again), and therefore they don't do anything but slow the party down (see trash pulls in WoW above). Furthermore they reward static play where the only incentive is maximizing efficiency, and since the same powers are available every fight there isn't as much reason to deviate.

Now, don't get me wrong. A well done 4E combat is fun and plays like an exciting tactical board game. But if the combat isn't exceptionally well done it really has no bearing on the whole of the adventure and just slows everything to a crawl.

Note that pre 3E the game was very tactical and all about conserving and tracking limited resources. 3E kind of got rid of this with the whole 15 minute adventuring day thing, and 4E tried to just roll the 15MWD into the base assumption of the game rather than going back to earlier edition's style of play. This is a very WoW like decision.

2: Class Roles:
WoW didn't invent class roles, and in fact was a lot more lenient about them than most earlier MMOs. Note though, that WoW changed the landscape, and in my experience while class roles in MMOs were fairly common before WoW they were not ubiquitous like they seem to be now. IMO these were the worst parts of WoW. I don't know how frustrating it was to constantly be told that my class was only good for one thing or have the designers throw a "hybrid tax" and anyone who tried to play outside of their class's assigned role. Early WoW was very much bring the class not the player, and even within given roles there were many things that required a specific class. Not fun.

Now, earlier D&D kind of had roles, but they weren't clearly defined. Anyone could, theoretically, tank, do damage, or focus on ooc skills. Healing was pretty protected, and a lot of skill stuff was rogue / bard only, but it wasn't too hard to play against type. 0-3E warriors could easily out DPS rogues, rogues could, with the right build, easily out tank warriors, and casters could pretty much do anything you wanted them to.

4E comes along and gives everyone clearly defined roles, both in intent and practice. It is the first edition to actually spell out roles in the book. While there are a few cases where you can be OK at a secondary role (just like early WoW), but never as good as a "pure" class. Furthermore the game really doesn't reward unusual builds. Playing against type has gotten harder and harder in each edition of D&D. The 3E skill and saving throw system was really bad in this regard, but 4E made it worse.

The game also assumes that everyone is a combatant, which is a very Warcraft way to look at it. In earlier editions I could play a scholar or a healer or a diplomat or a scout and not have to get my hands dirty. 4E does virtually nothing to differentiate characters out of combat and one has to try very hard to play a pacifist character and still contribute in combat.

3: Lack of Realism

Ok, call it what you want. Lack of realism, lack of logic, lack of verisimilitude, lack of simulationism, disassociated mechanics, overly gamist / narrativist design choices, overuse of abstraction, what have you, the sentiment is the same.

Earlier editions of D&D like to keep up the appearance of a consistent world. Most every power in the game has an explanation, and they try and keep consistent with known real world laws (or consistent fantasy world laws). Things have explanations and generally follow common sense.

Most video games do not have anywhere near the fidelity towards logical cause and effect that D&D does. The game doesn't question why characters can't break down a locked door, or climb over a short obstruction, or how they can fit 2,000 round of ammunition in their pocket, or why simply touching the water kills them. These are accepted as limits of the programming or taken for convenience sake. D&D, with its living DM, generally has a much tighter reign on this sort of thing.

Warcraft is particularly bad about this. The game doesn't try and explain why people can heal from any injury in moments, why you can carry a dozen horses, five dragons, three suits of armor, and half a million gold coins around in your bags without being encumbered, why you can teleport in and out of dungeons, why your enemies respawn every week, why killing monsters gives you "points" that you can trade to NPCs for gear, why a wolf in Pandaria is higher level than The Lich King, why items become bound to you once you use them, why you can craft a motorcycle in 10 seconds, how you can have two different character builds that you can switch between but never mix, etc. etc. etc.

The developers of WoW are on record as saying that their policy is that if the gameplay conflicts with the lore the gameplay will always win out.

4E does not go to nearly the same levels as WoW does, but it is a lot closer than any other edition of D&D. Marks, minions, AEDU powers, healing surges, level requirements on items, spending on action to command a minion, enemies taking damage from powers with no apparent cause, tripping slimes and snakes, poisoning skeletons or making them bleed, the list goes on and on. These require a lot of mental gymnastics to justify, and more often than not the books don't even try.

So yeah, 4E and WoW are not the same game. But they have made a lot of the same design decisions and are a lot closer than any previous edition of D&D, and these design decisions do not always transfer properly across media.

posted in the Year of Our Lord 2015 without irony

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GrizzlyCow posted:

edit: Dwarf, was this a legit post from you or some grog? I am easily deceived and confused.
Pure grog, Mr. Cow.

And yes, the 15min work day happens because of powerful daily resources. It's definitely a "thing" in AD&D. Later SSI gold box games even hotkeyed the grand cycle of Cast Heal Spells -> Rest and prepare all your spells as healing -> Cast Heal spells -> Rest and prepare the spells you really want -> Adventure bullshit that you had to do in AD&D to recover.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

I've paid just enough attention to Pathfinder to see that it has a bunch of stuff that is just like 4e powers, but because it's "3/day" or otherwise couched in overcomplicated 3e rules, it's somehow okay.
Yes. I played a Cavalier for one terrible session and I had tons of lovely weird 7x/day things. It felt sooo.... dissociative. No verisimilitude, know what I'm saying, my good man?

quote:

Challenge (Ex)

Once per day, a cavalier can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, the cavalier chooses one target within sight to challenge. The cavalier's melee attacks deal extra damage whenever the attacks are made against the target of his challenge. This extra damage is equal to the cavalier's level. The cavalier can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day for every three levels beyond 1st, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level.

Challenging a foe requires much of the cavalier's concentration. The cavalier takes a –2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge.

The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious or until the combat ends. Each cavalier's challenge also includes another effect which is listed in the section describing the cavalier's order.

quote:

Tactician (Ex)

At 1st level, a cavalier receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the cavalier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the cavalier possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The cavalier can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day at 5th level and for every 5 levels thereafter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's time for another double hand crossbow post!

DEFCON 1;6640464 posted:

Because they wanted to clarify their intentions on how they originally thought it supposed to work... knowing full well that anyone who didn't like it could just ignore the errata and play it however they wanted to.

People dual-wielding hand crossbows with no manner or method to reload them were thumbing their eye at human anatomy and physics... so they really can't get too upset when the designers decided to "thumb their eye" right back. Especially when those players could just use the Rule of Cool and keep doing what they were doing anyway.

When it comes down to ALL of these rules in the game... WotC defaults to what appears to be the most common or most popular method amongst the playerbase. That's how they designed most things in the game. Which mean yes... occasionally the outliers like the dual-wielding crossbowists, will be shown to be outliers by having the loopholes they were climbing through occasionally sewn up to go along with how most of the playerbase is already playing the game. Thus it now comes down to those outliers to make the choice to just ignore the errata for their game. Which is completely fine if they choose to do so. Nobody else is going to care.

JackOfAllTirades;6640543 posted:

Nobody's saying that having two hand crossbows, with no hands free to reload them, mysteriously getting reloaded anyway, round after round, is over-powered.

No, that's not what we're saying at all.

We're just saying it's silly beyond any possibility of belief!

Carry on.

[SIZE=1]Hey! How about a Tiefling with a 3rd handbow in his tail? I mean, if you can reload two, a 3rd one should be no problem, am I right? That's totally awesome. And they should shoot flaming acidic frost bolts of thunder force![/SIZE]

CrusaderX;6640600 posted:

One man's fun is another man's cheese. I've seen several posts stating the the idea of going pew-pew-pew with dual hand crossbows violates the so-called "rule of cool". To many, dual-wielding hand crossbows isn't cool at all, its just silly and cheesy.

This next dude is :argh: at the idea of others having fun.

spinozajack;6640660 posted:

Their decision was both wise and necessary. How can you load a crossbow without a free hand? Unless it's fully automatic. You're free as a DM to create such a "load free" variant, but you can't play with the default crossbow and fire with it every round with anything in your other hand, a fork, a knife, a spoon, another crossbow.

Humanoid PCs have two arms, and two hands. This ruling is just common sense. Make up a fully automatic hand crossbow for your game, then dual wield those. Nobody's stopping you.

But if you are letting halflings use greatswords, or anyone ignore the loading property, then no, you are in fact playing the game not by the rules, which is by definition, "wrong" in some sense. It's not a big deal, either way, but I do think not playing by the basic rules is playing the game wrong. And that applies to every game, D&D or not.

You can call them your house rules, which then makes them valid again. But in their wisdom, they decided that fully automatic weapons didn't belong in basic D&D in the default setting. You're free to play with firearms, plasma rifles, blasters, reloading crossbows, anything you want. You just aren't free to use those in the default D&D and expect the rules to follow. Sometimes rules have to be strict, to avoid absurd things like shooting weapons that have bolts but no way to imagine how those bolts are getting loaded.

They did the right thing. In this case, your fun (dual wielding non-automatic crossbows and firing each round) is not more important than mine, which requires a free hand to imagine how those bolts are loaded into the weapon in order to be fired. They sided with rules that make sense, for which they should be congratulated and not denigrated.

Verisimilitude matters, and is one of the reasons 5th edition has, and continues to, sell so well. In my opinion.

What people who want the game to cater to their own desires will find, is that, one person's houserule is another person's trash, and you can't expect everyone to enjoy what you enjoy. So the default should be what's least offensive and most logical to the most amount of people. It seems a core rule just forced people to use a house rule, in order to make D&D seem more like a John Wu movie. And I'm perfectly fine with that. Play that way, you're not playing wrong, so long as you acknowledge that you are in fact not playing by the rules and allowing it via a house rule.

And yes, Wizards does get to define what the rules are, and you don't. Maybe John Wu is more popular than John Wayne these days, but I definitely see a magic crossbow in people's future that loads itself or spawns bolts already loaded.

If they don't think that reloading two weapons at the same time without a free hand doesn't make sense (as anyone with any ounce of common sense should), and they change the rules to enforce that, all it means for your game is that to John-Wu ify your D&D game you need to use a house rule to either make a fully automatic crossbow or make it so that every PC has some kind of incredible dexterity to do things that stretch the limits of acceptability.

I for one am glad this type of gameplay that ignores common sense is further relegated to house rule territory, and out of the default. Because it means my own bias for verisimilitude is being taken seriously, and they earned my investment in their product, and will likely continue to. In this case, if they have to choose between your game style and mine, as the default for D&D, I'm glad they picked mine. I'd prefer letting a PC seek out some tinker gnomes to make this kind of weapon for them, than have it be available at every corner Ye Olde Weapon Shoppe for 5gp.

If I'd have one in my game, it would cost 500gp and be a masterwork weapon. Which could then be enchanted for another 500gp if you're willing to free the gnome's kidnapped kin.

cmad1977;6640667 posted:

Objectively: dual wielding hand crossbows that magically reload is silly.

Do whatever you want.
OBJECTIVELY.

And now for this guy again. :words:

spinozajack;6640676 posted:

As Umbran likes to say "don't let perfect be the enemy of good".

Perfect verisimilitude in D&D is not obtainable, but there are limits to what's acceptable. Reloading a small crossbow several times a round quickly might stretch believability, but doing it with something in both hands definitely crosses a line that both the designers and substantial portions of people didn't want crossed.

Again, "more fun" to you. But not to everyone. And not to me. I don't want people playing a John Wu game with fully automatic crossbows that cost only a couple gold.

Your fun ends where mine begins. I don't find it fun even playing at the same table as another PC using objectionable or highly unbelievable mechanics. This is why I chose to play 5th edition.

Verisimilitude matters. It's why battlemasters have to roll a check to pull off their hijinx or stunts, it's also why you can't slide enemies more than one size category above yours. If you think it's fun for a halfling to slide or trip a colossal dragon with four legs with an at-will ability and without even a strength check, because that's "fun", good for you.

It's not fun to me, and the designers agreed that player abilities should not make people go what? That's why they designed the game this way. People didn't want powers that work without any realism support or explanation as to how it might actually work.

I do agree there's a point at which verisimilitude starts becoming not fun, but 5th edition is far from that line. I enjoy simple rules that try to make some kind of sense. But if rules are too relaxed as to allow just about anything to happen, then people will stop being immersed in the story. John Wu action movies are pretty over the top, and might be fun once in a while, it's not what a lot of people are after when they play D&D. Especially not at low levels.

The way he spells Woo is making me :argh: so I guess fair's fair?

spinozajack;6640683 posted:

Needing to use two hands to wield a bow, such a tyrannical obsession with realism!

Pretty soon we'll be calculating arrow trajectories and Newtons of force to penetrate AC 18! That's no fun! I want to dual wield greatswords, where my fun at? I want to have a large flying dragon PC with unlimited laser breath and multiattack as a legal AL race option in Basic D&D, where my fun at?

D&D's all about MY fun, right? So I should get to pick any element from any TV show or movie and allow that at level 1. Otherwise the game designers are telling you what's badwrongfun.

spinozajack;6640692 posted:

Yes it is. John Wu or Neo in the Matrix shooting two guns at the same time is fine, because it's an automatic weapon.

There are cases where my fun v your fun is a black and white ruling in RAW. And this is one such example. Either you allow hand crossbows to be reloaded without any hands, all the time, making them essentially fully automatic, which is a big power boost.

Or you make them require a free hand, and enforce that for balance reasons, which also means you can't dual wield and reload without putting at least one down and picking it back up multiple times in a row.

If my not wanting or enjoying ridiculous mechanics to exist in D&D makes you sick, good for you. That's effectively saying that what I find ridiculous I should respect. No.

I'm allowed to both think and write here on this forum, that dual wielding manually loaded hand crossbows is ridiculous and I'm not going to apologize.

The designers also happen to agree with my point of view, which is why they wrote this errata. The rules for how many hands you need to wield a given weapon are basic, if you don't agree with the way the basic D&D weapon rules operate, you should play a different game maybe? What it seems like you're saying is that the number of hands required to do something or operate some item or weapon, need to have no connection to the story or the fiction and be allowed. Would you allow a PC to run with only one leg? This is the same thing.

I not only don't care if things that I find ridiculous are purged from the game, I applaud it when that happens. It makes me happy. Even if that means someone else's fun is impacted. That's too bad. Their fun is not more important than mine.

spinozajack;6640699 posted:

Wait a minute, I thought telling people you were ignoring them was a faux-pas on this forum? :) It was when I did it. I guess not. No matter. Don't care, bro.

Anyway, it's not like you can just click Ignore on published material. These errata are already baked into the next PHB print run. Good luck showing up to a game with an illegal character and begging the DM to allow it. I wouldn't even have allowed this type of shenanigan even when it was RAW.

Giving even a passing glance towards realism in D&D I think is important to many. And the designers too, apparently. They deserve their ongoing sales success.

JackOfAllTirades;6640884 posted:

I've not seen any of the above do things that require them to sprout two extra arms.

And seriously, if the GM's requirement to accurately keep track of how many limbs your character needs to complete your stated actions during a turn is ruining all your fun, you're probably at the wrong table.

[SIZE=1]No, really. I've seen exactly one playable race with enough arms to do this. Go play a Thri-Kreen.[/SIZE]

spinozajack;6641073 posted:

I bet any money there's going to be a fully automatic reloading crossbow in a future "Arms and Equipment guide 5e" type book, and it will cost some extra money or be a magic item (even better).

Good point about Thri-kreen too, there is a race out there with 4 arms. Actually all you would need is 1/4 used to load the others. Otherwise juggling the crossbows in mid air while you reload is kind of silly to the point of it being unfair. This is a case of "rules" not rulings. You can't put every little thing in the game in a sidebar and have a workable set of game rules, it just doesn't work. DMs are always free to houserule but the basic game needs to make sense, and reloading a crossbow without a spare hand just doesn't make sense.

2-armed human or human-like beings, doing impossible things without magic, using an actual historical weapon, should not be allowed, no. For the same reason that we require two hands to wield a greatsword, greataxe, polearm, bow. Because it's just common sense. If the game not making sense is a requirement for anyone's fun, I say too bad for them. My fun playing this game is predicated on my understanding and acceptance of the rules before I agree to play it, and those rules, however flexible in many cases should not allow things that just don't, and can't possibly work. A lot of times DM rulings are there to put practical limits on what you can try to do, not just, why not? If this is such an obvious thing for a character to do, then it shouldn't be a problem convincing a DM to allow it, right? I think at the heart of this is people wanting something the rules just can't let them have without breaking other things. Believability in game rules is important.

Sometimes what makes a good game system isn't just all the stuff it allows you to do, but in the stuff it doesn't. Both aspects matter.

Leaving stuff like this to DM fiat, explicitly in the rules, by saying "up to the DM", would be bad form. Why make something up to the DM when it already is? That kind of sidebar would just create more arguments than it would solve, because I'm sure a lot of DMs would have a problem with allowing players yield a two-handed sword and carry a torch at the same time (without putting it down).

ExploderWizard;6641178 posted:

No. Hand crossbows are light weapons. You can still fire one from each hand, you just can't reload them both. It is really a shame that such a clarification was needed. That some gamers today seemingly cannot tell the difference between a hand crossbow and a semiautomatic pistol is kind of sad.

spinozajack;6641723 posted:

To paraphrase pemerton (who adamantly refuses to abide by the ignore feature, so I give up) : "why not jump both feet into the patently absurd, while we're already one foot in towards the implausible".

In other words, let's just give up trying to have a set of game rules that make sense, and double down on the whackiest thing we can think of.

Let me say, I am relieved the designers agree with my point of view, that absurdities need curtailing and not inflating. But they wanted to make some money, and decided that logical, sensible rules were one way to achieve that goal. And their strategy seems to have paid off in spades. Aside from a few imbalances, 5th edition is versatile, flexible, and well constructed in game mechanics terms, but still capable of being understood in terms of how those mechanics play out in the story. A simple, common sense approach is a selling point of this game. Hence, its success.

Good night dual wielding crossbows, we hardly knew ye. The excesses of previous rulesets' irrationality have been laid to rest, and desire to cast "raise dead" on them overruled.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
:gonk:

Gaming-Poet;19332539 posted:

Could someone please cite for me the experience points formula for a cleric's turning of undead (or provide for me page number and column in the DMG -- or wherever it happens to be)?

I have scoured my hard copy of the DMG and of the PB and scanned my PDFs of both, but I have been unable to find it. I recall seeing it long ago, but I can not recall what or where.

In many ways, for a cleric to destroy an undead by rolling a Dispel effect on a Turn Undead roll is no different from a fighter's destroying an undead with a critical success one-shot. So it makes sense that the experience points would be more than the DMG's bonus XP for doing something generically in keeping with being a "cleric" or a "priest", more likely something related to the experience value of the undead that had been successfully destroyed.

On the other hand, Turning Undead is not the same as slowly wearing down an undead monster with repeated bashing, slashing, and smashing.

So I ask for help with finding out the exact formula for determining experience points. 1/2 of regular value? 1/10 of regular value? Full value? What?

Thanks!

Digitalelf;19332964 posted:

Table 34 in the DMG says that Priest's receive 100 XP for each successful use of a granted power. I personally give characters 1/2 XP (in addition to the 100 XP) for successfully turning/destroying undead...

Gaming-Poet;19336765 posted:

True, but it goes against the overall D&D philosophy if a cleric who kills off (i.e. "dispels") a 6000 XP undead with a particularly successful Turn Undead earns only 100 experience points but that same cleric who ignores the Turn Undead ability and insteads kills off that same 6000 XP undead with a particularly effective critical success mace bash now earns 6000 experience points.

It doesn't fit the underlying system logic of proportionate rewards that the designers seemed to strive towards, however imperfectly.

So while I like your house rule, it seems certain that there must have been an official rule about granting our cleric or priest something better than 1.6% of the experience point earnings to be made by ignoring Turn Undead and relying only on bashing, slashing, and smashing -- or if not an official rule, a popular house rule so commonly known that I would remember it as virtually official for all purposes and play.

Digitalelf;19337563 posted:

I don't think it does, because if the cleric enters melee with the undead, he is using his hard won skill at arms to defeat the creature, but, if he uses his turning ability, he is "simply" calling upon the might and holy righteousness of his deity to channel through him in order to drive the foe away (or destroy it if he is high enough level to do so).

So I personally have no problem with the disparity at all, because in one instance, he is relying upon his own might, and in the other, he is relying upon someone else (his deity) to drive away or disperse the threat... So I think the cleric should (and rightly so) gain far more XP when he relies upon his own skill to deal with the undead menace instead of calling upon a higher power (his deity) to deal with the threat (which may not work in the first place)...

Gaming-Poet;19338596 posted:

That's D&D 4th edition thinking, not AD&D.

For better or for worse, AD&D encouraged a very pragmatic approach to combat (though never so pragmatic as to avoid combat altogether). Beowulf may have chosen to fight Grendel naked for the glory in the classic poem, but AD&D would have treated him as an idiot for doing so when there is no mechanical advantage to it.

Furthermore, it goes against AD&D philosophy to unfairly penalize the cleric above and beyond all other character classes. Magic-users or wizards do not lose out on experience points when they use magic, so why should the cleric? If a fighter can use a sentient weapon to deal with the threat instead of relying "upon his own skill" -- or if a paladin can use a holy relic empowered by his god to deal with the threat instead of relying "upon his own skill" -- without being penalized, why should the Cleric alone have to lose out?

By AD&D thinking, if the best way to get experience points is to ignore the gods and attack with a mace instead, then no self-respecting cleric PC or priest PC would ever Turn Undead except as a last resort. Not ever. In that case, by AD&D thinking, one should retire the Cleric class altogether and play only multiclass magic-user/fighters -- and the fact that AD&D did not retire the Cleric or Priest seems ample proof that they did not intend for the character class to require his player to engage in unsound, impractical, self-sabotaging tactics such as Turning Undead for less than 1/10 the XP to be earned by using other tactics.

Maybe only those of us who can remember playing AD&D back before 4E came out would see this. I don't know.

But I know without question that there was a way back then to reward Clerics or Priests for using the Turn Undead ability in a fashion that did not grotesquely punish them.

I simply can not find it and can not remember whether it was official or instead one of the many house rules that so many people used that those rules might as well have been official.

Digitalelf;19341637 posted:

I never played 4th edition, so I wouldn't know. :smalltongue:

I dropped the whole d20 system entirely (e.g. 3rd edition and Pathfinder) and went back to playing 2nd edition AD&D a few years back; so my position comes not from nostalgia or memory, but from actual, current, game-play.

Not to say that my way is the right or only way, but what you ask for is simply not a part of the rules one way or the other. Ultimately, it is up to the individual DM to decide/determine whether or not a cleric or paladin receives XP for turning undead.

------

If you care to look, there were several discussions on this over at the forums on "Dragonsfoot" and "The Piazza":

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=57634

http://www.dragonsfoot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57423

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13061

As you can see, this has always been an individual DM determination for these older editions of D&D (as the first link is a thread concerning the topic for original D&D, the 2nd link is a thread concerning the topic for 1e, and the last link is from a thread concerning the topic for 2e).

And now things get :catdrugs:

Gaming-Poet;19340838 posted:

That's my fear.

Back when AD&D 2nd edition was the most recent form of Dungeons & Dragons and I had all of this memorized, I'd never thought I could forget such things even if I wanted to.

Now I'm trying to replicate the zeitgeist of gaming culture back during AD&D 2nd edition's heyday for all my friends, as I'm the only one who remembers any of what it was like gaming back then, and I find myself surprised at just how much the world and I have changed over the years since then (as well as surprised that it would surprise me).

Where did those twenty years go? :p

--------

I'm really not interested in how a 2015 player would want to adjudicate AD&D 2nd edition, but thank you for playing.

I'm interested in recalling how we handled the issue back when AD&D 2nd edition was the current game, before the World of Darkness line even existed, before there was World of Warcraft or Halo or Portal, during a different zeitgeist and a somewhat different cultural era.

Mark Hall's answers were useful. Yours have not been, particularly since they seem to have no function except to dispute the useful answers he had posted and to dispute the answers I had posted in the post directly before yours.

I am asking Giants in the Playground. If I had wanted to ask Dragonsfoot and The Piazza, I would have posted there; it is not your place nor your privilege to try to show me the door and boot me onto another forum.

--------

So it was full XP, then. Hmmm, somehow I'd thought it was only a percentage of the full XP. I remember some of those debates you reference, though I do not recall how they turned out.

Despite the sophistication we have achieved in tabletop gaming theory, I still miss the excitement and the anything-goes creativity and freedom of the "salad days" of gaming, even though AD&D was during the final moments of those "salad days" and so I missed the very beginnings. One thing I enjoy about Giants in the Playground Forums (Fora?) is that I'm not the only one here who both recalls and sometimes misses those days.

Digitalelf;19342031 posted:

Why all the hostility and snark??

I had hoped that the examples given in those other threads from Dragonsfoot and The Piazza would have illustrated that what you are asking is totally up to the DM, because the rules are deafeningly silent regarding the matter.

And linking other web sites and forums is not showing someone the door, nor booting someone... :smallconfused:

I have posted in good faith and have approached the answer with how I game, which, by the way, is pretty much the same as I did back in the day (i.e. since 1981 when I started gaming). I even DMed 3rd edition and Pathfinder with the same approach as that of how I DMed 1e and 2e, which is contrary in many ways to how those systems were written. So, how I run 2e now is the same as I did back in 1989-2000 (i.e. the entire run of 2e).

Offering an opinion contrary to yours or anyone else’s for that matter, is not "disputing" anything or anyone, it is simply offering up a differing opinion on the matter, which in my case, was my own opinion as to how and why I see the rules the way that I do.

But there are many ways to role-play; I for example, prefer (and always have) to run heavy story-based games where combat does not play such a prominent part, so to me, turning undead is a quick and dirty way to get past, not plow through, a potentially deadly encounter; so basically, I see it as a short-cut, therefore, I only give 1/2 XP plus the 100 XP for successfully using a class ability.

If you see it differently, that's fine, but voicing my opinion on how I see it (and why) in no way disputes yours or anyone else’s. And if you do not find such contrary opinions to be "helpful" then that is okay too... What is not okay is to say "but thanks for playing" as that is just plain rude and uncalled for...

Gaming-Poet;19342176 posted:

I have a great deal of respect for other opinions, including those which differ from mine (so long as they are rational or are clearly owned by the person).

I enjoy it a great deal when people share with me their other opinions.

However, this was never an opinion thread but exclusively a fact thread.

My exact original request was "Could someone please cite for me the experience points formula for a cleric's turning of undead (or provide for me page number and column in the DMG -- or wherever it happens to be)?"

The fact that this formula exists is not a matter of opinion. It exists. I know because I have seen it and because I have known others who have seen it. Its existence is no more a matter of opinion than the existence of the U.S. Constitution, or gravity, or the color red.

To claim it does not exist therefore makes no more sense than denying the existence of the color red -- unless one is instead accusing me of lying about having seen it and also lying in my claim that others have seen it.

It may have been in the DMG. It may have been elsewhere (such as Dragon magazine) as I mention in the very first words of this post. But it exists.

And the one and only thing I asked was for help finding it and/or reproducing it, neither of which has anything whatsoever to do with mere opinion. Similarly, I would never start up a thread asking for people's opinions about whether there is such a thing as gravity. (Well, I might in a forum about complex theories of physics, perhaps in a highly sophisticated discussion on superstring theory, but that's a fairly specific circumstance.)

Instead of responding to this request for factual data, you accused me not once but twice of being a liar.

-------

That was my thought when I read your first post, then your second, then your third. By the time of your third post, my patience was worn through (and I can handle hundreds of confused first year students on the first day of class without losing my patience, so it takes a lot to wear my patience through).

Even then, I quickly decided that repaying you snark for snark was uncalled for, but I was unable to edit it out in time, which I regret. You called me a liar and nearly capsized the thread, but I still should not have repaid snark for snark.

No one likes being called a liar. No one wants to post a request, "Can anyone help me recall the name of the capital of the state of California" only to have you silence discussion with "There is no such state as California -- in my opinion."

To be candid, once you took on the thread, I expected no one else to post anything. I thought you had sabotaged my best hope for getting an answer.

Another example of your snark: I pointed out in the very first post that the rules were *never* silent on this matter back in the late 1980s or 1990s (unlike today, metatext such as Dragon articles and such were considered no less valid than the rulesbook themselves back when AD&D 2nd edition was the reigning game system) so that no one would make the allegation as well, and after ignoring what I wrote, you have outright accused me of lying -- and now you have done so again.

Another example of your snark: I made it clear from the start that I was fully aware of the passage about 100 XP for Turning Undead, and you immediately pointed it out to me as though I were too stupid to know about it. Such a show of bad faith in the OP can not be justified, not after the OP has gone out of his/her way to make it clear from the start that this question comes from someone who is quite familiar with the system and simply can not recall something.

Beginning with the snide "If you care to look", again suggesting I lack the integrity or intelligence to have taken such precautions already. Additionally, you wrote it almost directly after I had written "One thing I enjoy about Giants in the Playground Forums (Fora?) is that I'm not the only one here who both recalls and sometimes misses those days" as though it were intended as rebuttal to my statement about enjoying this forum.

Again, that was my thought, so I could not understand why my posting in good faith received such snark from you.

I can try to believe that somehow you had not intended your words to be interpretted as snark. But I can imagine no way you can justify your calling me a liar not once but twice.

Digitalelf;19342441 posted:

Wow... Just wow...

The written word is often times misrepresented from actual verbal to verbal communication, and it seems this is the case here.

When I said, "if you care to look", it was simply that... Some people do not like to click on links to long threads (either on the same site or on another web site). So, I honestly did mean, that if you cared to do so, here are some similar arguments as to whether or not clerics and paladins receive XP for turning undead (and it is worth noting that no one in any of those other threads sited anything in the rules, official or not as to clerics and paladins receiving XP for turning).

I never called or inferred that you were a lier. But since we're on the subject of memory, in this very forum I posted a question a few days ago asking what issue of Dragon Magazine a particular article was in... turned out, it was not in an issue of Dragon Magazine at all, but instead it was a homebrew rule some fellow gamer uploaded to TSR's site on AOL 18 years ago; and I could have sworn (and did) that it was indeed, without a doubt an article in Dragon Magazine... My point is, that our memories are more often than not; flawed in some minor way or another (especially as more and more time passes us by – like 18 to 20 years).

I believe whole-heartedly, without a doubt, that you read what you say you did, and that you know of others who have as well.

That said...

Maybe you read it in Dragon, maybe somewhere else. But I am telling you, such a rule is not in the DMG, PHB, The Complete Priest's Handbook, or any of the "Player's Options" books. I even checked the DragonDex (an online Dragon Magazine Index) to no avail (which doesn't mean such an article on turning undead is not in Dragon Magazine, it's just not so easily found).

And as for not wanting any opinions... Well, everyone that has responded to this thread has told you how they personally do it:

Mark Hall: "Personally, a cleric who turned or destroyed undead would get full XP (divided among the party he was with) and a bonus 100XP (for the cleric alone) for using a granted power. "

Lord Torath: "I just add it to the general XP pot for the whole party"

Me: "I personally give characters 1/2 XP (in addition to the 100 XP) for successfully turning/destroying undead..."

All 100% pure opinion...

And neither one of us I might add were able to offer up a page number or concrete source for the formula in which you seek...

Which made me think that since the other two opinions matched up with your thinking, and mine did not, that you took what they said as gospel, and what I said as confrontational...

BUT...

Like I said, this whole exchange has been via text, so I can't read your body language and facial expressions; but correctly or incorrectly, that is how I took the things you said.

Now, what you are looking for could be in a setting specific sourcebook, such as the Forgotten Realms "Faiths & Avatars", but I don't have that book in front of me at the moment, or in an optional non-setting specific sourcebook.

I am not saying this to brag (honestly, I am not), but I am missing VERY few products published for 1st and 2nd editions. And I really do not recall a rule like what you are looking for in any TSR published source anywhere; not even for Original, or Basic D&D.

And yes, I fully admit that my memory could be flawed concerning that last statement, since there remains a small handful of those books in which I have not yet had a reason to read all over again (e.g. they are not pertinent to my current campaign)... :smallbiggrin:

Gaming-Poet;19343029 posted:

Oh? I will take your word on this and try to remember it in the future.

My apologies for my error. I absolutely despise making such mistakes, so you can rest assured I will not permit myself to forget this.

In that case, thank you for posting the links.

In my career, I do not have the luxury of a faulty memory. So I never post anything, ever, unless I would be willing to testify to it under oath in a court of law. Sometimes it may take me two or more hours working on a single post while I doublecheck everything I write -- because that is what a good person would do, IMHO. That is why I specifically pointed out that the item might have been someplace other than the DMG without specifying where -- as an acknowledgement so that I could avoid such error.
-------
Yes, I know that. I even acknowledged it in the very first post.

Don't you see how snarky it is for you to tell me something I have already stated I know -- as though you consider me too stupid to know it despite my stating from the start that I knew it?

Their presentation of their opinions seemed to contribute to my hope of getting a concrete answer.

Your presentation of your opinion seemed intended only to silence any future posters who might have a concrete answer to offer by definitively stating that such a concrete answer did not exist -- to sabotage the thread and delegitimize anything I chose to write, in other words.

You began by pointing out to me as though I were an idiot something I had already acknowledged knowing in your first post, and then by your words in your second post you seemed to treat religious fidelity as a lazy thing to be punished while the fighter deserves praise for not being a cleric -- which not only undercuts the basic idea of the cleric class but again delegitimizes my initial post.

It was the context of your delegitimization of my post -- your appearing to call me a liar -- that made your opinion come across as snarky while their opinions came across as informed speculations and not mere opinion.

-----

Do you also own every copy of every gaming magazine that was considered canonical or its equivalent at the time, including Dragon, Dungeon, Shadis, White Dwarf, Space Gamer, Fantasy Gamer, Alarums & Excursions, Different Worlds, and possibly Pyramid and InQuest?

Because I can prove that, during the late 1980s and early 1990s, articles in most of these magazines were treated as coequal to the rules in the DMG and PB et al. by the American gaming community as a whole (as authorized options not as mandates), a situation which has not been true among gamers since the popularization of the Internet for various reasons about which there is not yet a consensus.

Why does that matter?

Well, if you are pointing out that you have this background to delegitimize me and prove me a liar, I will have to accept your right to our assessment if you have all of these.

But if I am correct in my suspicion that you are pointing out that you have as much as you have only to indicate that your opinion is an educated one, then in that case, I will concede the point.

However, while I will concede that point and while I will accept that you had not intended to write in a fashion which appears to call me a liar, I ask that you recognize how snarky it was for you to tell me something I have already stated I know as though you consider me too stupid to know it despite my stating from the start that I knew it and that you recognize how your declaring that what I know exists does not exist is both snark and delegitimizing as well as potentially implying that I am a liar.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, I remember Gaming Poet. He was the guy who came to RPGnet to have a minor tanty about how evil Changeling: the Lost was for presenting its fake fairy tales as "the truth."

I missed that one. I was just in awe of how much he went off of the dude who seemed to be sincerely trying to help. Like saying he accused him of lying, taking 'if you care to look' as an accusation of laziness, etc. The whole thing is just :catstare:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I only just got into the hobby two years ago, I love Basic D&D and would like to run AD&D someday, and boy does this make me mad.

It's really common too for people in "the OSR" to want to try and draw distinct lines between themselves and the rest of the community, as if the strict enforcement of "the Thief can only attempt to unlock a door once per level" wasn't already a strict enforcement of fail-forward years before its time.
IME, most osr folks just love their old games and are really helpful if you stay on target.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 19, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I bolded the section most important.

I am citing this as an example of Players dictating the world to the DM. I do not agree with this method of play. A game system only needs a framework to resolve a situation with a questionable outcome. It does not need rules constraining the DM about the world they are trying to portray for their characters to live in, nor should it have them.

Yes, there are things you need to know to play a character. How much can they lift as an example. These present the framework for what the character can do, and should offer enough information to derive any chosen action. If I know my character can lift 300 pounds, it is reasonable to assume I am capable of knocking down a wooden door, and seriously questionable if I can smash through a metal one. It is up to the system to provide a way to resolve that, and a DM's job to arbitrate any unusual circumstances. (Enchanted door. Rusty metal door. Etc.)

It is not my job as a player to tell the DM how to run their game. I find this thought process rude and disrespectful to the person who is devoting unknown amounts of time to my fun. We need to know how skills work, attribute checks work, spells work, attack and damage rolls work, and what class abilities do. We do not need DCs assigned to how hard the ground is for digging, what the difference in DC is for climbing an evergreen vs. a maple tree. These are extraneous rules that bog down the game, slow down game play, and allow players to attempt to dictate the world to the DM. I find this unacceptable.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
In a thread about gender conventions... Grog and non-grog both.

Segev;19465872 posted:

This is the result of stereotypes and political correctness cutting both ways. A male seducer is a creep, skeevy, evil, malign, and horribly abusing his female victims. While the female seductress can be evil and manipulative and cruel, she doesn't have to be and is not so, inherently. Moreover, the stereotype nowadays is that men won't - and often almost can't - say "no" to an offer of sex. Socially, in fiction especially, it's expected that men are willing, eager, and actively seeking sexual encounters with women. For a seductress to act on a man, he must resist his carnal nature and usually must have a strong reason to say "no," such as a committed girlfriend/wife, an unusually (and often "quaintly") moral objection, feel that he shouldn't take advantage of this girl (despite her being the seductress), or knowing that he's doing a job that he should not betray for sex.

And it will be portrayed as a challenge for him to resist.

The stereotype is that women are not interested, at best, and often are offended at the offer/request for sexual engagement. Sex is an imposition men put upon them. The male seducer thus is portrayed as having an uphill battle AND as being a creep, because he's the used car salesman trying to sell her something she doesn't want for his own selfish gratification.

Therefore, it will be very rare to see the party turn to the charismatic male to seduce the female guard. It's "expected" to be harder to achieve, and it's socially more of a black mark, ironically, because while the male ladies' man having dozens of "conquests" in his off-screen background is fine and dandy and a woman behaving similarly is considered far less kindly, the actual act of encouraging a potentially initially unwilling partner is slimy when done by the evil predatory man, and merely taking advantage of the base nature of the target when done by the woman.

As for "sexual preference..."

Absent evidence to the contrary, the odds are VERY VERY HIGH that a given target is sexually attracted to the opposite sex. AT least, if ratios are similar to the real world's, rather than TVland's (where nearly every modern ensemble of at least 6 members has at least 1 if not 2 gay or bi individuals). In reality, the numbers are below 3% for all of homosexual and bisexual and asexual individuals combined. Of course, if you want to have a higher ratio for your setting, that's fine and dandy, but don't hold it up as a silly assumption before making it clear your ratios of homosexual-only people are higher in your fictional setting. (Because even if lots of people are bi-, bi-sexual people will be attracted regardless of your choice, so choosing the opposite sex won't hurt.)

(If you disagree with my numbers, you can look things up yourself. IF you find evidence you find compelling that I'm wrong, I don't really care to argue it with you; it simply means you should let your audience know what to expect if you expect them to change their behavior and choices regarding how they approach such problems as whether to seduce a guard of a given sex or not.)

I think, though, the first point's the biggest reason: it's assumed that sex is an inducement for men, but not for women. Therefore, seducing the male with the female is "likely to work" if she's able to convince him to give in to his baser nature. Seducing the female with the male requires convincing her not to "give in," but to overcome her "natural" aversion to the act in the first place.

i.e., from a stereotype perspective, seducing a female with a male is like trying to bribe her by asking her to pay the briber.

Steampunkette;19466486 posted:

Bisexuality isn't sexual fluidity. It's as solid a sexuality as heterosexuality. There are sex fluid individuals who shift through attraction to different genders, of course. But Bi? Solid as any other.

Basically all of my characters are bi, regardless of alignment or class... though that does bring up an interesting thought for a second thread...

Segev;19466833 posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I appreciate the difference. "I like chocolate ice cream today; yesterday I liked mint, but I don't feel like it today," seems the extent of it as I've heard it portrayed. That sounds a lot like "bi" but with a mood-based preference.

This is likely my own bias, but the only way I've seen it portrayed that I can wrap my head around it is when there's an honest-to-goodness physiological change involved. "When I'm in dog-form, raw meat tastes amazing," says a were-wolf who, in human form, insists on things well-done. "When I'm in rabbit-form, I actually love fresh vegetables," says the 7-year-old were-bunny who can't stand veggies in human kid-form; "Mommy makes me transform every night before bed so I'll eat them for dessert." Thus, the person whose physical gender is honestly fluid might be straight 100% of the time, and "gender-fluid" because when male he likes girls, and when female she likes boys.

Without an honest physiological change, I find it hard to buy that it's more than a change of taste and mood. (Of course, "turning gay" or "discovering you're gay" plotlines often are portrayed this way. I'm not sure, come to think of it, I've seen a plotline where a gay character suddenly discovered (s)he was straight and never went back, though the reverse is not at all uncommon.)

Segev;19466929 posted:

Eh, no.

The chauvinistic standard stems from an earlier, now inverted societal expectation: that all women are lustful.

The Lystrasia Gambit is the name of the trope wherein women deny their men sex in order to compel them to a certain behavior or deed. In modern fiction, this is seen (on the surface and played straight) as a powerful tool that is highly believable; men can't live without sex (never mind, for instance, there are men who are in their 30s and still virgins) and will ultimately break down in the face of needing their "fix."

In the time period from whence this tale comes, however, it was seen as a comedic act, more akin to how it would be seen now if men were to tell their women that they're witholding sex until the women change their behavior in some way.

Victorian-era social expectations were similar.

That is, at that time, it was believed that women were lustful, sensual beings who had to exercise rigid self-control and be kept away from all temptation lest they succomb to their lusts. "Lie back and think of England" was more Edwardian, IIRC, when the Victorian-era reputation for coldness became thought of as the natural state rather than a necessary iron control to overcome said natural state.

So the more chauvanistic attitude tends to portray men as non-predatory because the women are all but begging for sex, so all she needs is "an excuse."

The idea that women really aren't as interested as men, and that men are unable to think with anything but their genitals, is not "pro-man." I've seen very few instances where it was honestly used as an excuse (Piers Anthony's works being about it; he was born a dirty old man and has gotten dirtier as he's gotten older). It is typically used to portray men in a negative light. It's not an excuse; it's proof they're baser, more animalistic, and not to be trusted. It's also the source of certain double-standards in both fiction and reality, centering around the idea that men don't ever mean "no," unless the sexual partner is hideously undesirable (in which case it's usually portrayed as some sort of righteous cummuppance to show men what it's like to be pursued unwillingly).

There are times it's played more accurately, but political correctness means that men being portrayed in those fashions is "acceptable" and won't raise a loud outcry the way it would if the sexes were reversed.

Psyren;19467098 posted:

The difference is that there are folks who like both chocolate and mint all the time. Thus they are not fluid - they know what they want and it does not change. Thus when others say things to them like "you might say that, but I know you really just like chocolate", or "sure you like chocolate and mint, but you obviously like chocolate more" or even "you're just saying that, because I haven't seen you have mint in like forever" can be insulting.

Basically, if someone identifies as X, the key is to be respectful of that (assuming X is ethical obviously) until they identify otherwise.

Segev;19467193 posted:

I'm fine with shrugging and agreeing with them as long as it doesn't get to the point of ridiculousness and begin impeding communication. Or they're getting rude/deceptive with it. Though that's less likely when dealing with sexual preferences than ice cream preferences. At least, I hope nobody would be huffy over not being offered sex by somebody they'd turned down on the grounds of not swinging that way.

(The analogy breaks down here because I could see somebody being a bit huffy if not offered ice cream, even if last time they'd turned it down because they didn't like the flavor and it's the same flavor this time. Not reasonably so, and I'd call them out on it, but I could see it happening whereas that level of entitlement when it comes to sex would be beyond rude and into terribly creepy.)

Please, let's not get into "identifies as..." That...can only lead to violations of forum rules as feelings WILL be hurt (or social bullying will be applied to ensure that nobody dares speak aught but orthodoxy). Things are what they are; if you want to say you're something else, it doesn't bother me...until demands start being made of me wrt your preferences. Demanding that I accept that the Emperor identifies as wearing clothing and therefore not avert my eyes from what they're plainly seeing is, at best, annoying. If he wants to walk around naked while saying he's clothed, he's welcome to, as long as he's not telling me to celebrate his fabulous wardrobe along with him. "Live and let live" goes both ways.

Segev;19468474 posted:

If you want to claim something I think is false, it's usually not my place to call you on it. However, if you claim you identify as one thing despite your body disagreeing, and that's okay, but that other person identifying as another thing despite his body disagreeing is NOT okay, that's one place I draw a line. If a person can identify as a particular sex in contrast to their biological reality, then they had better respect another's identification as a particular race, regardless of that other's biological reality.

(Besides, we should be striving for color-blindness. With the exception of certain medical realities, there's nothing inherent to race which SHOULD matter to how you are treated nor permitted to behave. Which means somebody identifying as a race other than their biological reality should not matter at all.)

Steampunkette;19468858 posted:

Race is just as SOCIALLY relevant, even if it's not biologically relevant.

Racism is an overarching systemic bias. Being white and "Identifying" as black means you're taking on the symbolic struggles (and victories) for yourself without facing the actual systemic challenges. It's pretty problematic behavior.

Color Blindness doesn't work, yet. We've gotta fix a lot of problems that are related to race before we get to the point where ignoring race is useful.

Segev;19468909 posted:

I do not think this forum is the place to debate whether color blindness works or not; I will say that, anecdotally, it was working in my tiny world until the last decade's resurgence of insistence on attention being paid to it. But that's anecdotal.

Recognize that one could say that sex is still socially relevant, too, and that by "identifying" as a woman when you are a man, you are taking on the symbolic struggles (and victories) of women for yourself without facing the actual systemic challenges.

Similarly, "identifying" as white when you are black should be perfectly acceptable, yet the hostility anybody who dared do so would face from what currently calls itself the civil rights community is almost terrifying. Just look what happens, without "identifying" as white, to those blacks who dare speak about personal responsibility and try to hold up their own successes as examples.

In reality, I'm a realist. You are what you are. If you wish to identify differently, I honestly don't care until you start demanding things of me because of it. I play RPGs wherein I pretend to be a 60-ft. red-scaled fire-breathing shapeshifting lizard. I do not personally think I am such in real life, but as long as it's not hurting anybody else, whose business is it if, tomorrow, I did? I try to live and let live. As I've said, all I ask in return is that others return the courtesy. And preferably, treat others as they wish to be treated.

Steampunkette;19468972 posted:

If it doesn't bother you then it doesn't bother you. And that's all well and good. You're not obligated to be upset by the same stuff that upsets others.

But it bothers the hell out of a lot of other people. So we shouldn't do it for their sake.

Kinda like how I don't have kids and don't mind cursing, but I don't take my Nephew to Chuck E. Cheese's and then fire off endless strings of profanity in front of the kids. I don't mind it, and it doesn't trouble me...

But it troubles others. So...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

If memory serves, Segev was one of the superstars in an Exalted thread that progressed from "while evil, that doesn't mean the Empire isn't an important part of the world that does in fact form the foundation of many lives" to "you know it's not like slavery is that big a deal."

Yeah he is a font of terrible MRA opinions.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This one confuses me. On the one hand, great! A paladin can be gay and sexually active! On the other hand ... Something about this bugs the poo poo out of me.

quote:

In one of my group's games (Pathfinder) my paladin is gay, and he's not a virgin. I didn't intentionally create him that way, but it fit naturally with his perspectives.

A paladin's job is to die. He knows it. There just aren't elderly retired paladins walking about. He is stupid enough to get into the faces of demons, dragons, and undead so that others can be safe. It's going to get him killed one of these days. In the meanwhile, his body gets pummeled. He gets cut, bruised, bleeds all over, and feels a lot of pain. Zealous as he is in his endeavor, he still can only take so much punishment. His body needs to rest. He needs to be able to enjoy himself. Have fun. Cherish being alive. As such, he'll drink at the tavern, attend a party, listen to bards, play cards with friends, and all sorts of relaxing things. Getting that respite heals the body and spirit to fight the next fight to come.

Then there's the ultimate pleasure of the body, sex. The opposite of pain, he's permitted to have this too. The trouble is, he's a paladin. The trouble is not in any religious tenet but in the profession itself. His job is to die. His job is to face Evil out there so that it doesn't come here. To have sex with a woman is to risk pregnancy, and he cannot burden her with a child to raise alone while he's out there getting pummeled and could die. A child is a person's most precious treasure. To have a child my paladin would want it to be with a woman he loves deeply worthy to be a mother. There would have to be a proper courtship and marriage, to show commitment, before baby-making, so recreation sex is out of the question.

What is the meaning of shaking hands? It is a greeting, an act of friendship, a symbol of agreement between two individuals on a done deal. Why is shaking hands given this honor? When you reach out to someone to shake his hand you are showing you have no weapon in it. You are a friend not a foe. The clasping of hands is a bond of friendship. Why do soldiers salute each other? When you are in full armor your helm is down. When you see a fellow soldier you both raise your hand to lift your visor and reveal the friendly, familiar face. If they don't do that they're probably enemies. That tradition carries over to when not wearing a helm. The salute is a military sign of respect.

If my paladin can't have sex with a woman, then the alternative is with a man. It's the logical follow-up step from the shaking of hands and the salute. It is also a perfect expression. He is unarmed, unarmored, completely vulnerable with another man giving each other pleasure. What would be the alternative? Fully armed, fully armored, completely battle ready with another man trying to kill each other. He gets enough of that fighting Evil all day. He needs the break.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh my God, I don't want to snipe your grog but I read his other posts and he is the most ridiculous human being alive.
Oh god he's still going.

spinozajack;6654495 posted:

Thanks for not telling me what impinges on my fun or not, bro.

Warlords were overpowering every single 4th edition game I saw them in. I've played one twice, it got tiresome how easy the game was. They make a mockery of the action economy, make it so enemies literally couldn't even get a turn in before they were smoked by your party. It's like being a liberal on Fox news, unable to get a single word in edgewise because being assaulted from all sides. It's fun to see that once or twice, but after that it cheapens the game and I don't want my game cheapened through reducing the challenge to zero.

Their non-magical shouting healing was just one area that I never want to see happen again in another game of D&D I play in, either as a player or a DM. I also don't want players controlling other players every round, and grossly unbalancing the game with out of turn shenanigans that make straightforward play impossible and slow the game down.

No, I never want to see such a class again. I've seen DMs give up on trying to throw encounters together because the players had a warlord who make the game a walk in the park. I want the game to be a challenge, not a gotcha or an exercise in futility for DMs.

So yes, my fun does depend on the game remaining as it is. There are already a few exploitatively strong elements in the game as is (polearm master + gwm is better than anything else on the battlefield), I don't want them compounding this with even more reason that the only way to challenge PCs is to give NPCs at least 4 levels in character classes so they can compete.

Take the warlord power "Reorient the Axis". Now how on earth would you explain how a warlord can grant extra movement rate to his entire group every 5 minutes the second any combat starts, without using magic? Why even bother having combats? Just let the wookie win. I don't enjoy playing games in god mode.

spinozajack;6654508 posted:

It's irrational to play a game that I find ridiculous, yes.

One can heal their ally from a grievous injury due to falling into a trap or getting a critical from an ogre's club, or you can play a strictly non-magic using class. Not both. You have to pick one.

That exclusion is required, because : logic.

Thankfully Mr Thompson is gone now so the chance of Mike Mearls adding the warlord back in is very low. Maybe working on Destiny will disabuse Rodney of such unrealistic and to my mind, lazy game design as he is known to use. Verisimilitude is exclusionary. I want my non-magical PCs to follow the laws of newtonian physics, as best as they can be approximated in a table top game. Which means no spooky action at a distance, no quantum mechanics, no spiritual ghost particles making stuff happen over there when your character is over here.

That kind of sheer absurdity offends my rational sensibilities and is therefore, not fun to me. Back in the playtests you couldn't go two days without a new warlord thread. And people wanting that lost. What on earth would make anyone think that Wizards wants to throw money away like that? Like Donald Trump, Wizards is one off-the-cuff "come and get it" or warlord shout away from alienating their players off that 3-5 year sales cliff Mearls was tweeting about. Fortunes can be made and they can just as easily be lost. They are well aware of these hot button topics and have already shown their hand, namely that they want to keep making money with this game. Adding in disruptive elements that drive customers away isn't good for business.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OH SNAP

spinozajack posted:

I already answered your first question, above (using but one example, there were many others).

If you didn't have anything to do with the warlord, that's good, because the warlord is the single most immersion breaking class to ever have been introduced to D&D and one of the reasons many wouldn't touch 4th edition with a ten foot pole. It doesn't take a game design genius to not include that a second time. Hence, the 5e PHB doesn't include one. And neither does this survey. Too logic-breaking and headache-inducing to imagine how anyone can make an unconscious ally stand up from across the room. That is lazy game design, disassociated mechanics which 5e largely nixed, and pervasive throughout 4th edition.

The battlemaster works and isn't lazy design at all. Every single maneuver can't be spammed, requires your character to be within a ballpark range of size difference to even attempt to pull off, then requires checks to actually function. No more halflings sliding around dragons any more, thank the heavens.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 1, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Otisburg posted:

And they treat it like some kind of foot fault on the serve that gives them a point regardless of the merits of the argument.

"You made a 'ad hominem' by calling me a 'fucker,' therefore you have forfeited the debate and I am correct that the Holocaust is a lie of the liberal media."
And, in this case, yelling "appeal to authority!" when one points out that a professional, celebrated game designer might have more educated opinions re: game design than groggy mcgroggerpants does. That's not how it works.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hemlock;6657549 posted:

If the essence of being a fighter is "being a trained combatant" as you say, then there are no non-combat related bits. That's like asking about the non-magic-related aspects of being a trained wizard. At most you're talking about skill proficiencies, but fundamentally the non-magic-related aspects of being e.g. Mercury Boltblaster don't originate in his being a wizard at all--he has non-magic-related aspects like crazy hand-to-hand combat skills and a close relationship with the Queen of Raelna, but those things originated in his background and martial arts training, not from his training as a wizard.

But what really makes the idea of expendable nonmagical resources (what you call "declarative") an abomination to many people is that Vancian mundane activity is fundamentally incoherent. Let's pick a mundane activity and pretend that it's a fighter thing. Say, spotting when someone is lying. "Liar's Scent: you can tell when someone is lying to you." In what universe would it ever make any kind of sense to say "By concentrating briefly, you can tell when someone is lying to you, once per day?" What, I lose my training at detecting hinky behavior just because I talked to a different hinky guy in the market earlier today?

Vancian mundane abilities just make no sense. 5E has a few of them (like Lucky, which is kind of like being proficient in every skill). Fortunately it doesn't have a lot.

Hope that answers your question. Although it wasn't really a question, was it? It was just a verbalization of a wistful emotion which is not widely-shared, and for your sake I'm sorry about that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Deleter posted:

I am really appreciating the SJW to skeleton plugin right now.
I love that, but haven't installed it. I have a deep urge to write long screeds complaining about skeletons, though, just to mess with people. :j:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nihilarian posted:

"oh, gosh, I can't tell who the movie wants me to think of as the good guy. Is it the rapist warlord, or the woman who opposes him? I wish they would make it clearer."
So our kids are staying with my folks for a week, and my wife and I found a theater that was still showing Fury Road. It was the first movie we've gone to in over 5 years.

Totally worth it. I was giddy like half the movie about how audacious the whole thing was.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not sure anyone besides Raven c.s. McCracken claims to have actually played Synnibarr. I'll admit that I kind of want to, just to see what the hell goes down, but it's kind of the roleplaying equivalent of wanting to go to the moon: you probably can't do it, and if you did it you'd probably just die or get bored.
The earlier editions are, arguably, playable. Using some definitions of "playable" anyway.

The newest kickstarted one? poo poo's basically Timecube. Or else it's actually written in Venderant Nalaberong.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I backed that KS and got about as far as the "basic" combat example before my eyes started to glaze over. (I got as far as the fiction about the kid from the bee-vine forest before pretty much giving up entirely.)
I didn't even back it. He offered to give it away to anyone who emailed him a while back. I did, because I find the original game kind of fascinating, and got a genuine Raven C.S. McCracken email containing what I believe is supposed to be a game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kylra posted:

From a quick google that system is supposed to be OD&D based so it might not be as useful a trade there. I can't remember how stats worked pre-3e.
OD&D is drat near statless. Depending on how closely it hews, it probably just means you wouldn't get an xp bonus as a Fighter and can't carry as much loot out of the dungeon.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

I admit I've not been to GitP in a long time but I thought the place was one of the distinctly more progressive RPG boards?
There's a few loud MRA folks and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing you meant "as dwarf74 pointed out"?

Regardless, I'll add to the above statement. See, when someone gets a warning/ban for lovely posting the offending bits gets "scrubbed", ie replaced with [scrubbed] as red text. And if someone else quotes the scrubbed text then their quote is also scrubbed. I can understand that you'd want to remove problematic or outright offensive chatter, but just replacing it with [scrubbed] doesn't actually give any information on what the problem was. The result is that GitP sometimes ends up looking like a police state with a veneer of sunshine, even though this wasn't and isn't the intent of Rich or any of the moderators on staff.
God, I hope so. :(

And yeah, that matches my experiences, too.

The mods are amazingly recalcitrant about doing anything to stop their spam problems, too.

• Locked thread