Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

First Bass posted:

It's a really dumb comic though because it failed to convey how the sea lion was arguing in bad faith? I mean I read D&D (the subforum, not the game, but that too) all the time, and I get the terminology, by if you replaced the sea lion with a minority I don't think as twee a phrase as "sealioning" would be getting thrown around.

The lion is constantly harassing the woman and acting like it has the right to her time, 24/7. It also is obviously only interested in debating to prove her wrong and be the masterful victor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Really, the whole insistence on artificial politeness is what makes it clear to me that the comic is about the sea lion being a bad faith bigot of some variety. If you've ever observed them in action, that is the standard MO.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ningyou posted:

does nerds being weird and terrible on roll20 but not specifically about a particular elfgame count as grog, bc drat

I was looking through the roll20 LFG forum because i've got some kind of awful nerd stockholm syndrome and GUESS WHAT I STUMBLED INTO, SANDWICHED BETWEEN M&M AND PATHFINDER RECRUITS

A flyer posted at Grand Prix Sacramento

Apparently he tweeted that he was going to be there, and judges intercepted him and kicked him out.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

In response to someone pointing out that writing down "I'm gay +4 points" is a really stupid and offensive thing:

Idiot posted:

And that's why it's a flaw. You can get a flaw for being short, being discriminated against is a disadvantage. People often offset those by learning other skills and social merits.
Not everything in a role playing game is an exalted gift. The world of darkness just recognizes there are problems. I think just out right ignoring it or just letting it be something not brought up in polite conversation is much worse.
I get you don't want the veil to be lifted or some other bigoted bull poo poo. The fact of the matter is it's in the game as a social aspect that can get you into trouble. Just like being an openly gay person in Alabama at the moment trying to get a marriage liscense since it was OK'd at a federal level is bringing some people true hell at a social level.
WoD explores that in a game.
If you think all games are children's toys and taboo subjects need to be left out .. You know there's D&D communities and what not out there.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Fucker posted:

I take offense to the fact that you think people are trying to interject intolerance into Werewolf. Werewolf is ALREADY intolerant. It's an intolerant setting. I know there has been this massive, massive push the last ten years for things like trans*, LGBT rights, etc but as I said in the other thread... garou are not humans and they do not give a flying gently caress about those kinds of human notions. All they know is that while their cubs are dying some rear end in a top hat is on the Ellen show crying about how unfair life has treated him, that his name is now Susan and he/she wants you to respect his/her life choices.

Garou do not care, outside of a small handful minority in the tribes closest to humanity. And that has nothing to do with player bigotry.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I find myself unable to care about the horror of Stephen Sheppard not wanting to write Eurocentric fantasy. Good satire should punch up. That's why the Onion is funny. The latest Dongion posts don't even punch down, they just sort of stare at their fist and shrug.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Pile of poo poo That Only Vaguely Resembles a Person posted:

I don't really give a rat's rear end about privilege. Again, if I wanted to hear pissing and moaning from SJW's about the unfairness of the universe, I'd go... let's see.... yeah, just about anywhere else but a page for a game based on homicidal rampaging Werewolves. I'd like to go one week on these pages where I see more threads like "What sorts of places would you put a caern of Stamina?" than "What sort of progressive direction do modern garou have on transgender roles?"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

The OSR are basically all full of poo poo with a couple nice ideas here and there when they aren't trying to put their heads up their own rear end and try to out oldschool other people and declare what is TRUE WORDS.
(Also notice the OSR is 90% people jacking off to versions of D&D to the exclusion of almost any other RPG? Hmmm.... There was even a discussion about this on an old school gaming Facebook page recently. Nobody disagreed with this statement.)

Another thing that really, really bugs me is that half of the social component of the OSR, or even general old school stuff is someone posting a picture of the first PHB or White Plume Mountain and saying "Anyone else remember this gem????????????????????" like yeah, everyone's forgotten these iconic elements, they're just lost and hidden gems. Nice job on that nerd archaeology otherwise I would have never heard of Tomb of Horrors or Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! While I like most of the things that get that treatment, the nostalgia wanking is so bad that superhero comics fans would look at it and go "Now hold on a second..."

The other half, of course, is pretending that anyone who disagrees with their specific vision of D&D is a monster.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 22, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Isn't Dark Dungeons/Darker Dungeons an AD&D retroclone with a decent amount of support?

It's a BECMI retroclone.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Every grog believes that "video games have ruined the minds of children/anyone younger than me by even a second, this is why every RPG other than the ones I like are bad" is a refreshing and interesting opinion, it's really quite cute.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I was just about to go and copy a spectacular post by someone where they concluded that System Matters is a form of bullying, but of course, it was deleted on me. Always happens.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

:captainpop:

Sometimes this thread makes me feel like Ted at the end of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Serf posted:

I'll never understand how people can argue that RPGs aren't a device for telling stories. You literally make up characters and the story emerges from the interaction between those characters and the world set up by the GM. When you tell people about it later or reminisce, you're telling a story about what happened.

Even if the story is as basic as "I ran through a dungeon and killed a bunch of green dudes" it's a story. Doom is a story. "I sat in front of my computer all day, farting occasionally" is a story. No one said anything about it having to be a great or complex story.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

Happy to oblige! :tipshat:

I'm not sure if this is about the philosophy of "system matters", or a typo regarding our resident Elric philistines System Mastery. Either way, I am sad it is gone.

It was definitely about the philosophy. It was long-winded and concealed behind a lot of overly baroque language but if I remember correctly it the gist was "Rulings not rules are my preferred way of playing RPGs, so whenever people take a system matters approach, it amounts to bullying, because it is an active insult against my playstyle and an assault on the fun people are having with games that do not take that design philosophy to heart"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

Many of these people think "when you're playing, it's not a story; telling someone about it later is when it's a story" is a very important distinction. Which, y'know, kind of also implies storygames function the same, but since they are not RPGs :bahgawd: I guess they're now a third thing. And then they start splitting the finest of hairs talking about how prominent control of or creation of a narrative is in the game, or whether you play multiple characters, which are specific enough ideas that they remove huge swaths of beloved old games from RPG history. Often by these metrics it turns out the original editions of D&D are cast out into the land of storygames but no wait let me explain how that was different...

By those metrics Ars Magica is a storygame. Dungeon Crawl Classics of all things is a storygame.

Serf posted:

I don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares if RPGs are about telling stories or making stories or whatever? Why have people written hundreds of thousands of words over it?

This poo poo happens all the time in these nichey interests and it's combination pissing contest, purity test and gatekeeping. Opeth is now no longer a metal band because their last album was heavily prog styled, and not in that Dream Theater way, doncha know?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 12, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

I even would really like some industry-wide formalized language to emerge around these subjects, but the weird hatred for "narrative" means the well may be hopelessly poisoned.

I see value in having something for people to punch into google when they're looking for something that is different from crunchy RPGs. The problem is that if you separate things like that, it becomes this weird dichotomy, even taking away the idea of grog opposition. Like, Polaris and Dread don't play similarly. It's World Music but for RPGs.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I think the issue people have is less with GM fiat (which many "true RPG" advocates enshrine as a noble and healthy aspect of the hobby) but that "storygames" give players too much narrative currency or that they remove the ability for GM fiat to manifest in appropriate ways.

I mean there is no hard-and-fast analysis here, on the one hand you have people mad at Fate because it lets players spend fate points to declare things or how they can roll to apply aspects to scenes, on the other hand you have people mad at *World because it lets GMs manifest bears where there weren't any before and it's all very confusing after a while to try and keep track of what it is that's pissing people off about not!RPGs this week.

While I've definitely seen "let the dice fall where they may" going on, I've yet to really see anybody who's just powerless in the face of their notes, so this always seems a little disingenuous.

I think some of it is that grogs feel condescended to as well. A lot of the anger directed at games like Dungeon World and Torchbearer is of the "We've always played this way, how dare you!" variety.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 12, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Well yeah no poo poo, 90% of the stuff that gets reposted here is disingenuous, BearWorld is no exception to that.

Yeah and bullshitting is absolutely part and parcel of the kind of gaming most of the people who are mad about rolls conjuring grizzlies enjoy so... in the end it feels like the real problem is that the proper libations to Gygax were not performed during the creation of the games in question.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Without getting into the topic of when they started getting better (or if there was ever a significant tipping point at all, games have been telling players and GMs to go with whatever's cooler since forever), yes, I do agree with you that games have been getting better at encouraging agency and narrative control.

Like, friggin' GURPS has a metacurrency rule and the authors of GURPS for Dummies describes the game as being about shared storytelling, so we can come full circle and conclude that it's really more about how shittily someone decides to run their game regardless of what the rules actually do or don't encourage.

In a sense, RPGs are the ultimate expression of death of the author. No matter what the books say, people are going to do their own thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Serf posted:

Which is why most books I've seen include a Rule 0 type thing where they just say "do whatever works best at your table. Don't like a rule, change it." On that one clause alone you can basically argue for any interpretation of the rules you like or run the game however you like.

Well, that's exactly what it's for. But Rule 0 being no excuse for sloppy design is a well trod subject around these parts. But I mean, we should accept the inevitable. If it's liked, someone is going to try to run GI Joe in my game about pastoral fantasy. That's why it bothers me that these people act like Rule 0 somehow doesn't apply to indie games because of system matters. Yeah, it does, but that doesn't mean it can't be messed around with. Screwing around with stuff is precisely how these games got made int he first place! For example, you like the concept behind Apocalypse World but don't like Sex Moves or whatever? Remove it. Make your own PbtA game.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Always love the negative response to some dude's magical realm piss wizard bullshit being "RPGs used to be about experiencing new things and exploring boundaries... ALL THOSE POSSIBILITIES... LOST LIKE TEARS IN RAIN."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I do love how this brand of Grog is basically as old as the hobby itself. Buried in the back pages of the original Arduin books are Hargrave's rants about things like DM's being sissies about not wanting to slaughter characters wholesale and about how dumb people who don't want to mix sci-fi into their fantasy games are.

Actually I'm surprised Hargrave isn't held in more esteem by these guys. His original trilogy of books was basically just him trying to grog up oD&D with rear end loads of classes and useless poo poo.

I also wonder what the opinion of some of these "bring back the good ol days, burn all storygames to the ground" -grogs are on stuff like T&T, Elfquest or BRP. Because I was reading some stuff about the T&T things Stackpole worked on and some of the people were describing their Amber based RP system they had basically invented in the late 70's and it seemed to mostly involve them standing around in a basement acting out scenes with almost 0 dice rolling mechanics what so ever.

Arduin is reasonably popular among old school enthusiasts, but it seems mostly to be about things like the phraints rather than Dave Hargrave himself. T&T is kind of an acid test - generally if the person you're talking to thinks it's a dumb joke game and rants about the spell names, you're probably talking to a jerk. Asking about Runequest/Glorantha is useful too because they'll out themselves by crying about the Ducks.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

You probably know about this but I think it's worth pointing out

Wikipedia posted:

While David Hargrave was considered one of the "best of the best" of game masters, he was also known for having a somewhat volatile personality. The original role-playing community at large was split between love and mere tolerance of Hargrave's passions, and his infamous falling-out with Greg Stafford, which resulted in Hargrave naming an Arduin spell after him as revenge, is one such example. The spell was called Stafford's Star Bridge (The Arduin Grimoire, Volume 1, Page 41):

"Stafford's Star Bridge is a 9th Level Mage (Magic-User) spell. It produces a rainbow-hued bridge of coruscating light that is 5 ft (1.5 m) wide and 20 ft (6.1 m) long per level of the caster over the level needed for use. The bridge will carry any weight, and it cannot be hit by non-magical things. The bridge can also be "keyed" to support any single type (or more), letting all others fall through selectively. "

Hargrave felt that Stafford had betrayed him over a Chaosium publishing deal, thus "falling through selectively". According to Stafford, Hargrave was later very upset with himself for having created this spell and for his behavior in the situation.

The guy's dead so I don't want to be too lovely about him, but truly a sick burn.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 17, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Were you being sarcastic? Because I don't see how that could be offensive. I wouldn't mind having a rainbow bridge spell named after me.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. It was basically Hargrave's way of expressing that he felt cheated by Stafford declining to publish Arduin:

Greg Stafford posted:

Dave was a local guy, so I knew him through the early D&D circle here. Just about all the RPGers knew each other in those days (Perrin, Pimper, Henderson, Hargrave. Not me, really...)
When Chaosium began began publishing rpg material I asked Dave about Arduin (in which I had played a bit) and he assured me it was a "complete game system." I said I'd publish it then, but when I got the manuscript it clearly was not a complete game system. I went ahead and had someone start to lay it out (which, in those days, meant using a selectric typewriter), but the typist found it to be impossible, what with all the tables, his horrid spelling and the general awkwardness of a non-gamer trying to write not just game but Arduin stuff. He kept promising to turn in the rest of the complete system. It never came, and coupled with the typist's problems, I told him I wasn't going to publish it. He was pretty angry about me "backing out." He stopped talking ot me and pretty much badmouthed me afterwards for years. People--you know the troublemaking sort of gossipers--would tell me about it. I just let it slide. Oh yea, look in one of his spell lists too, for somethign about "Staffor'd Selective Rainbow" or somethign, which drops people out of the sky when they least expect it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

Liz Danforth is an amazing lady BTW.

Good artist too. Lim-Dul's Hex, Krovikan Plague and her versions, in addition to the others, of Hymn to Tourach and Initiates of the Ebon Hand always made an impression on me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FMguru posted:

The premiere Call of Cthulhu discussion site on the internet had to institute a blanket ban on "D20 vs. BRP" arguments.

There seems to be a 7E vs Older Editions slapfight brewing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

I was kind of hoping this guy would flame out on RPGnet, but it looks like he just abandoned it and squatted out a brief foot-stamp on his professional RPG publisher's grown-up Tumblr blog.

:qq: I blatantly violated publisher TOU on DriveThru and have not given up on my ~anti-censorship~ crusade for literally years! :qq:

Textbook SJW methods. They'd go to someone's place of work and annoy the manager until they dismiss him, or block their homes and picket them, even in spite of court orders, just out of bitter spite. It's as if they cannot feel anything good untless they're ragging on someone.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

Jesus H Christ... :stare:

You know, I can't understand some of this poo poo. It's usually the same people who on the one hand tell you to stop rollplaying and D&D is about having an imagination, but as soon anything happens which doesn't toe the line they just flip right the gently caress out. This isn't even about the elf pretend game, it's about being a horrible rear end in a top hat to a 12 year old kid. There's grog and then there's... whatever this is.

Some jerks of all ages and using all systems live in terrible fear of the special snowflake. They just want to make the dragon eat his character's face to teach him a lesson about knowing his place and making drat sure that his next character is "normal" that is, a Male Human Fighter. I can see an argument about making having a dragon be a goal instead of something you start with, it's a cool adventure hook after all but nope, just got to chop down that tall poppy.

Also note the obsession with "realism" (WHO'S GONNA FEED THE DRAGON?!?!?!?) and the sort of obnoxious fake deconstruction that Order of the Stick deals in and encourages. That thread is definitely a symptom of the place it was posted.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 19, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

These men are 40-50, and started role playing and in at least one case publishing RPGs in the 80's. But, by GodGygax, these interlopers may as well be entitled WoW-babby Millenials just looking to bank that sweet, sweet OSR cashmoney. Whatever else someone might think of Grabowski and MRH, I don't think they've ever said "Boo" about the OSR, but the high crime of "worked at White Wolf" is enough to get them strung up. Keep your storygamey cooties off my precious THAC0!

Not to mention that White Wolf ran one of the earliest and largest third party lines for d20, reprinted a lot of the fiction that inspired D&D in the first place, and named themselves in reference to that fiction as well. Yet clearly, they have always hated D&D.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

the STI's and pregnancy bits are pretty bad but I think I'd enjoy playing a game where there is a cult dedicated solely to following the party around and making sure none of us get any action.

Yeah "lol STDs" is the height of stupidity, but I like the idea of a slasher movie D&D world, where sex has a horrible and ridiculous price. Naturally, anytime someone tries to sleep with someone else, it's a succubus! Hit on someone? Turns out they've got a razor in their belt, ready to cut you. How anyone is born in this place is anyone's guess.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

Gygax didn't design RPGs. He designed D&D. (And poo poo like Cyborg Commando but let's not speak ill of the dead.)

I swear, this has got the be the most salient point that grogs seem to always miss. RPGs are not D&D. D&D is not all RPGs. There are valid RPGs that diverge quite strongly from D&D. Just as with music, technology, card games, or what the gently caress ever human endeavor you care to name, the starting point of an ongoing development doesn't have to be the end point.

If I ever had to sum up what a "grog" is, it would be this misunderstanding.

It's not a misunderstanding, it's a willful refusal to care and an endless procession of purity tests. Although the idea that some RPGs aren't RPGs at all is kinda a new one - when superhero fanboys poo poo on other types of comics, they don't act like they think art comics printed in a basement about jerking off, dreams and pissing "aren't comics" for example.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a mentality wherein everything has to be neatly compartmentalized and discrete and there can be no overlap whatsoever.

I have actual diagnosed high-functioning autism and I'm more flexible than this. These people are like those computers in 60s SciFi that explode if you ask them to divide by zero.

There's no way that they're actually this tone deaf and rigid. More likely they're being disingenuous and making a bad faith argument. It's all a big show for what amounts to coming up with an excuse for the simple act of disliking something that lends that act both the air of defiance and grandeur. In other words, they know they're full of poo poo. "It's bad" is a perfectly legitimate reason for not wanting to play whatever game, it doesn't need to be framed as some sort of great hunt for genuineness and a battle for survival, but then they'd have nothing to talk about. And we here in this thread would have nothing to talk about.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Also, you know, challenge is a pretty important part of playing the game, and a game where you just get money for nothing is pretty unsatisfying.

I absolutely agree with you but at the same time, you have to remember that a lot of the handwringing being discussed here is over stupid poo poo like a level 2 character getting a Decanter of Endless Water. That kind of "By my decree, not any kind of choice we ever talked about, your dude is just a mud caked moron trapped in a goblin toilet for all time, how dare you try and ever do anything else, pleb!" attitude is indeed dying out. The most vital, relevant and interesting old school stuff eschews that as well.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Where does RPGnet stands in this weird tribal war of elfgame ideologies?

RPGnet has both places to talk about the most cutting edge stuff and a gigantic D&D forum where people talk about their goofy retroclones and host gigantic readthrough threads of old TSR material.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

So, overall, it could be a lot worse.

Are you trying to trash talk my upcoming retroclone?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Storygames as a pejorative are merely RPGs that are made by anyone who is the "wrong type of person".

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Like I said by some definitions Ars Magica would be a storygame but because it's from the 80s it isn't, but a game that did similar things that came out today would be railed against. People who deeply care about this divide and perpetuate it are like I dunno, Dunmer or something. OUTLANDER!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They also kept Pendragon alive, another nail in the coffin of "They hate old games!"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The place where this was posted is also one of the dumbest, most bland RPG blogs I've ever seen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

Not grog, just schadenfreude:

The only thing he blogs about is crying when he loses arguments on RPGnet, the rest is reposted kickstarter news, what's he going to talk about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ratpick posted:

Well, given that Monte Cook in one of his columns as designer for WotC dared refer to GNS theory (a four-letter word among the anti-stroygamer crowd) it should probably be clear that Monte is also an evil storygamer trying to subvert real RPGs.

Except, of course, that the opinion on Monte Cook has pretty much turned around completely in those circles: since the whole debacle surrounding the presentation of Native Americans in his latest game, The Strange, they've basically become Monte's cheerleaders, because Monte is the latest designer to have his writing put under scrutiny for problematic content, and if there's something the RPGSite anti-storygamer crowd loves more than a good conspiracy about storygamers subverting RPGs it's conspiracies of cultural Marxists trying to force people to write politically correct RPGs.

Also, apparently the two agendas go hand in hand. Storygames will apparently turn us into communist feminazis, while political correctness in RPGs will inevitably lead to everyone playing storygames.

Some of them now hate Cook again because he seemed to realize he was making a mistake and hired an actual Native American writer (this guy: http://straitsofanian.blogspot.com/ ) to create new material for the game, aka capitulating to cultural Marxist caterwauling. Is it some kind of dodge or deflection? I hope not. Did Cook, Cordell and Germain really take the criticism to heart? I hope so. All I know is that more people of all kinds writing RPG material is a good thing.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 30, 2015

• Locked thread