Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wish to offer to this thread more than my helpless rage and furious sputtering directed at the assholes ruining this hobby for everyone else. What are some good places to mine for grog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

KotauInAction subreddit posted:

Yea, RPG.NET is notorious for being an SJW fanatics and banning people for any infraction. You would see posts like "How games are sexist", "Lets talk about misogyny", "We need diversity", "Why does the hobby support rape culture"...etc FOR MONTHS. Mods and SJW would keep the thread alive. If ANYBODY tried to go against the SJW MOLD or even ask something like "Why is X wrong?" the post would be deleted and the user either given a warning or just banned for weeks to months. They have no problem attacking writers/authors that they do not agree with. A lot of people have complained about the site. I have not been there in a long time, but an alternative site I visited was The Rpg Site which last time was more open to discussions without fear of being banned by a mod.
Edit 1: From another reddit post, here (link) is an an example of what a SJW forum thread looks like on RPG.NET
The link reveals this:

Yep, looks like nazi-like censorship to me, and not at all like the guy was being a major creeper.
e: here's a link if you find it hard to read.
http://i.imgur.com/RKMaldR.png

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Alesha is basically the best, and the MTG design/creative crew are great for making her.

And this is fron the same company that credited tje wonder duo as consultants. I'm still not sure how that works.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I will admit that I find the policy against people asking to be educated to be kind of bullshit. What's wrong with someone who doesn't know much about a certain argument asking for more information?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

There's loads of stuff written about feminism and sexism online, most of it for free. If you really wanted to know what that whole thing is about you'd go and read some of it instead of derailing discussions with questions that amount to asking the professor to read your Women's Studies 101 reading list books to you instead of reading them yourself.

"I'm just asking questions!" serves only to derail the discussion.

Well yeah, if someone is asking about such basic topics, it's clearly just pulling your leg and being a converstion-derailing smartass. But in cases like Sage Genesis', where the questions asked are related to a very specific issue, and one that is stricty correlated to RPGnet's policies at that, you can clearly see that this is not the case.

More grog:

quote:

I'm running a weekly Dungeons & Dragons 5e campaign now after having done a series of one-shots so the players could get to know the classes. Of 4 to 6 players, maybe 5 different character creation sessions in total, they've made....one human.

The kind of game I want to focus on is human-centric. Other races are contributing to the general fantasy landscape. I've told the players that they may have a bit of trouble going into human settlements because human villages would be, for instance, frightened of a half-dragon, or throw stones at a drow, or be very guarded against a mountain dwarf.

I don't mind demi-humans in the party - I think they add lots of interesting flavour to the make-up, but when it's a party of everything-but-human, an entirely mixed bag of various almost-monsters adventuring together, it distinctly clashes with my impression of what a Dungeons & Dragons game should be. I just don't want the majority of the party to be playing the 'weird outsider one'.

As a preface: I came to D&D with 3rd edition and worked my way backwards in editions. When I discovered B/X I kind of fell in love with it (not to say it doesn't have other problems) and discovered that B/X was the kind of thing I always thought of as D&D without knowing it. It made playing a demi-human feel special and different, at least to me. My group is only interested in 3rd edition and beyond, and I'm the one that coxed them into 5e.

I think the races in 5e are very well thought-out, well balanced and well designed. However, when they are well-balanced with the human choice, and interesting-of-themselves, then how can human compete as a selection? Of course humans are going to be a minority in a party of characters.

I've thought of letting human characters start off at a slightly higher level in order to encourage the setting I'm trying to evoke, but I'm concerned players may find this unfair.

Suggestions?

Now, to be fair, there was a certain amount of sensible answers here, of the "just tell them the sort of game you want to play, dude" variety. But there was also this guy:

quote:

Random Generation.

You can be a human if you want, otherwise you roll on the race chart and can pick anything from that rarity level or below.

You don't want everyone to make up Noldor, Warforged, Melnibonean Nobles or anything else with a ratio that turns your world into a joke...then don't let them do it.

quote:

quote:

I think there's also an unexamined contrarian element where if you say 'this is a game of samurai' someone is going to want to be a Klingon ninja half-dragon shaman.
Next game don't invite that person at all. When they ask why, say "Oh this campaign doesn't have Drow/Gish/Cybermancers, so I figured you wouldn't want to play". They'll walk (good) or see that you put the collective game over their wants (better).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is that person seriously using D&D modifiers to justify his racism
Is that person seriously saying that he believes the real world works just like D&D
Is that really what is happenning right now

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't think his problem is with the fact that it's a paladin doing this; it's the fact that the player took control of the narrative, thus stealing the DM's sacred duty in an act of sacrilegious hubris that fills his heart with dread.

If we allow players to do that, then what's next? Letting them come up with their own classes? Letting them dictate the result of dice rolls? It's a slippery slope'

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This thread is still going on 4chan, and people are rightly calling the OP an unimaginative bore and a failure at communicating.

e:

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 9, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This is another example of grog who you could almost argue has some sort of point (games with a focus on social standing and interaction should have rules for dealing with the effects of discrimination) but it's presented in such a backwards, tactless and needlessly aggressive way that you can't in good conscience side with them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ettin posted:

For the record, I'm taking "Don't post RPGPundit or ZakS unless they squat out something :wow:" as a condition for grognards.txt staying around, and Zak's side-blog isn't :wow: enough.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before something comes up, but if you insist we'll stop.
Please just answer my question: why is it important that we do not talk about him here? Shouldn't we, you know, make an effort to make sure that people know what a danger to the industry he is? I wasn't even aware of his existance before the last thread, let alone all the damage he's done.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would almost consider giving a read to 5e to see what they are talking about, but then I remember who were the consultants for that one and I stop myself.

Honestly I haven't kept up to date since 3.5 and I don't really feel the need to. I would maybe consider playing the 4th based on what I hear of it from time to time: apparently all classes get spell-like tricks that allow the warrior to do something more than just attack, which is a big plus.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

There are no jokes on the SA forums

That's why they posted it in the OP forums, presumably. :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

Wait, what's wrong with fail forward?

A bunch of people are convinced that "fail forward" means that success and failure have no appreciable difference, not realizing that "forward" refers to the plot of the game not stopping dead on its tracks because the thief didn't manage to unlock the door.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Rulings over rules - DM interpretation and application of common sense trumps Rules As Written" sounds an awful lot like "This game is full of holes and untested crap that we expect our paying customers to deal with."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Effectronica posted:

it's fun to see people dancing around the fact that 40k is fascist

ftfy

e: GODDAMNIT

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 22, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No, take it to Games, have a thread that exists for 5 pages before turning completely to poo poo, watch as it all burns down around you, and realize that video game-based grog.txt style threads are doomed to failure on a fundamental level.

I have started my first forays into the non-LPs parts of Games and I think I understand what you mean, but I'd like to hear it anyways: why is that?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Unrelated, but I used to really like Humon when I was a teenager, before I sort of forgot about her. Now that I think about it, her comics were sort of racists, weren't there? I always assumed it wasn't that big of a deal because she is herself Scandinavian, but that's not really a justification.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How did they manage that? It is unspeakably hard to protect one's products from piracy in this day and age.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

His point was a little more convoluted than that. I honestly didn't really understand it, since I have not experienced the fluctuation in the value of the dollar in the USA and also wasn't alive back then, but maybe it has more insight than that:

quote:

Actually that grog.txt post was from me and I still pretty much stand by it.
But thanks dude that said I clearly live in my basement. As opposed to owning my own paid for home and making pretty decent money.

Inflation is kind of true AND false all at the same time plus perception and age. I am 40. 20 bucks to me is gonna feel different than 20 bucks to someone graduating High School this year. Obviously it goes a lot less further generally, even if I went from 5 bucks an hour at my first job out of the Navy in 96 to 28 or so now. (Gas has practically doubled but it was a 1.40 in 96, down to a buck in 98, about 4.50 or so in mid 00s, now around 2.80.) Hell, snacks at the work vending machine were like 65 cents in 98 and now they are .85-1.00.

poo poo goes up in price and wages go up but generally not remotely to the same level. Plus as one gets older things like savings, home improvement, medical, ect take up more and more money as opposed to most of my paycheck being for stupid nerd crap. (Not even getting into space to store it, and time to properly utilize it all!)

And you know, I am pretty much cheap as poo poo. I don't mind spending money but I want value out of it. Why buy a 4-5 dollar comic book that is maybe 15 minutes of entertainment when that same amount gets me a game on Steam or IOS? (Speaking of a thing that has rapidly outpaced inflation. I was doing some inflation stuff for laughs and giggles in my Game Collection posts: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/201...ngeons-and.html by my calculations comics should be under 2 bucks as opposed to Secret Wars issue 1 being five dollars. Marvel and DC books were 2 bucks back in the mid-late 90s. Given how comics are kind of in the same niche market as RPGs it is kind of appropriate but to be fair if you do look at inflation hobby gaming has generally kept closer pace with inflation, with 1977 vintage era White Box OD&D being 38 dollars in now money. Iron Kingdoms Unleashed starter box is 45 MSRP, though its cheaper online. More GOODIES in the box but it isn't remotely as complete a game as ODnD was.)

I look at how much crap I have and honestly I don't need or have much use for as much so price will matter. Once you add in all our modern tech and the fact you can get good products both old and new for free or under 10 bucks in a digital only format and it really does make these huge rear end inconvenient loving 60+ dollar coffee table monster RPG corebooks look a lot less attractive to longer term gamers or newbies who compare them to other products that on the surface seem similar.

(Like comparing Games Workshop model kits to what Bandai, Fine Molds, Kobo., Tamiya, ect are doing. GW doesn't come close in either quality or value.)

I mean I am planning on running a play by facebook post campaign because a friend who moved to the rear end end of nowhere W.Va wants me to run something. I ended up choosing Basic Fantasy because the rules are all free PDFs and even Lulu or Amazon printed versions are sub 10 bucks. (5 for core rules in softcover. I spent 10 for spiral bound because it is easy to use and keep open. They are GAME BOOKS. Spiral bound is fantastic for reference work.) Grab some Ravenloft modules from my collection and we have a campaign!

Though it seems like most folks want full color busy rear end massive doorstops of RPG core and expansion books. I am still happy with black and white sub 128 page count ones. poo poo, even for modern games I sometimes would rather just grab a PDF, edit the fluff out, and make a more useful and portable book out of it that fits on my ipad and won't give me a hernia!

Maybe I am just part of the problem because I don't want to spend stupid amounts compared to other forms of entertainment that are easier and cheaper even if hobby games stuff should maybe cost more than it does. I also irritate retro gamers because I don't think spending 100 bucks for a loose N64 Conker is anything other than loving ridiculous. Hell, I got my copy when it was on clearance racks for 10 and only kind of feel it was worth that.

I generally get gas station coffee over Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts because its like a third of the price. I am a cheap bastard and kind of proud of it! Though I bet some of the extenuating reasons I am cheap would make a Therapist slaver in delight...

And since I have so much of this silly nonsense I just don't need to pay 60 bucks for Deathwatch core or whatever Call of Cthulhu 7th is since I am happy with 5th even if it doesn't remotely look as pretty as the newer release will.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Why was the GNS theory abandoned? It's a generalization, sure, but it does convey the type of experience you can expect from certain games.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Deleter posted:

SO. loving. CLOSE.

All it would take is asking the players what they are comfortable with BEFORE dumping 5 hours and 6000 words into your adventure, and everything would be peachy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am 90% sure that that was copy pasted from somewhere.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What does "reward focused" even mean, assuming that it means anything?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

The guy's dead so I don't want to be too lovely about him, but truly a sick burn.

Were you being sarcastic? Because I don't see how that could be offensive. I wouldn't mind having a rainbow bridge spell named after me.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh, that's why it's supposed to be an insult, because it drops you when you least expect it. It wasn't very clear in the spell description.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If they really do take turno GMing, we can only hope that the rest of the group realizes that punishing a 12 years old because he wanted a pet dragon is stupid and assholish and calls him out for it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The example I use to describe fail forward is the locked door in the dungeon: what happens when the rogue doesn't manage to break it open? Either the game is dead on its tracks until the dice roll right, or something interesting happens, like a trap triggering or some monsters hearing you.

Or, in fairness, you take 20 by waiting a couple of minutes of in game time, but I'd argue that that is also pretty boring.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is it bad that I sort of agree with the point that guy is trying to make, if not with his argument? I feel that something like that could seriously kill the tension in a game.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

In a typical game like D&D it would be a poor fit, that's true. But some game could be built around it. In a recent episodic video game called Life Is Strange you play a teen girl who discovers she has the power to rewind time a bit, which basically is just a way to abuse save points except elevated to a core gameplay and story element. You could do the same sort of thing in a pen and paper RPG. It would certainly be a challenge, but the idea that "it doesn't fit D&D so it's cheating and can't fit any game at all" is awful grog.

Well I am having an hard time time imagining a game where it might fit, but I accept the possibility that it can work and could be done.
So I guess I am not a grognard. Phew!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

That is an interesting way to look at it. Do you think that 4e still mantains the inter-encounter tension? I still need to check it out, but from what I can gather it would seem so.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This must be what a RPGPundit at a larval stage looks like.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is there any grounding in reality to his claim that OPP employs fan stuff only to later ignore it or is it just the yapping of a crazy person?

Payndz posted:

The only difference between RPGs and storygames as far as I can see is that RPGs go "When I want to influence events I roll a die if the GM allows it, and on a good roll I succeed" and storygames do the same but generally leave out the "if the GM allows it" part. Apparently that's a difference worth calling down the Inquisition where grogs are concerned?

It's hard to find a grounded, neutral definition of "story game", because those who use it the most only do so in bad faith.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Not sure if you guys already covered this one.

I hope this is real. :allears: It is a thing of beauty.

An Exclusive Interview With the Elf Who Dropped Acid and Jousted a Car

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/crime/exclusive-interview-elf-dropped-acid-jousted-car/

Preach brother.

Follow up: http://boingboing.net/2015/05/26/portlands-sword-wielding-h.html

I am speechless.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

But what do I know, I've only been a writer & developer for White Wolf and OPP for the past eleven years.

Hey man, it was not my intention to imply that that guy was in and shape or form correct. It's just that grognards usually base their delusions on something (usually something that isn't actually damaging for the industry or that they have heavily exaggerated) and I was wondering what that was.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What they seem to have in common is the idea that the other side (be that players or GMs) is mostly interested in screwing you over.

Sometimes I get the impression that they are traumatized, like they had a really lovely tabletop experience and that changed their view of the hobby forever.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I think we've talked about this briefly before, but I really don't think that the RPGsite has a game design ideology. TGD does; I believe you or Rulebook once described their idea of the GM as "someone who just sets up targets for the players to knock down," and Antivehicular 's reference to the GM as the AI in a Roguelike game is a perfect summary of what they seem to want from the GM.

If the crowd at RPGsite approves of the GM playing an angry Old Testament God, it's because they have an authoritarian bent in general. It's essentially a leper colony for people who are incapable of talking about games (or anything in RPGnet's Tangency forum) without throwing temper tantrums and calling people names, which aligns with reactionary attitudes in general. You can see this in their moderation policy, which defines freedom from censorship as the freedom to throw temper tantrums and call people names. Oh, and the leadership of the board literally repeats Neo-Nazi ideology.

Not everyone on RPGsite is a right-winger or on board with Tarnowski's conspiracy theory, and some even openly mock him for it. (TGD's membership seems to me like they conform to Trollman's game design philosophy much more uniformly than RPGsite conforms to Tarnowski's politics.) Some people are there because they unwisely threw a temper tantrum and got banned from RPGnet, and Dragonsfoot feels too much like hanging out at Grandpa's house. But still, if you pick up the online RPG community and shake it, RPGsite is where the dust settles."

Where does RPGnet stands in this weird tribal war of elfgame ideologies?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Darren MacLennan posted:

Why is it that every turd on the planet thinks that conventions are the place to punch somebody that they've never met? It's not the first time that somebody's threatened the moderation with physical confrontation at a convention, which is apparently the Thunderdome except with less cosplay.

He's just being the Internet tough guy he claims to detest.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Haha, probably not the place to demand a long-term group to indulge your otherkin fantasies.

FMguru posted:

Oh man, that's good grog. "Why aren't any of you so-called 'gamemasters' dropping what you're doing and running a 200-session campaign for me, custom-tailored to my (likely weird fetish) tastes? poo poo or get off the pot, you losers" and then gets worse from there.

Okay, look, I agree that the guy is a complete rear end in a top hat, but what part of "dragon and dragon rider with magical bond" screams fetish to you? It's part of fantasy archetypes 101.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Question: does Pundit also practice doxxing like ZakS, or is that the latter's prerogative? I am trying to understand if Pundit is just an idiot with terrible opinions or if he is actually dangerous like the Zak.

I am sorry for touching a forbidden topic but I feel like that is an important distinction.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I must have forgotten some pretty huge chunks of 3.5 rules, because I don't remember rules about any of that stuff.

• Locked thread