Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Spacebump posted:

I didn't notice it but I'm guessing it must have been the 90s Stussy logo.

yes. is that what that represents? Why did everyone have an obsession with drawing those things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was on the TIPS jar and yeah, was what is referred to as the Stussy S despite the fact it's never been a Stussy logo. Aka 'the cool s', it's a bit of 90s pre internet worldwide phenomenon.

E: forgot to say, it was an awesome touch. It's easy to look up pop culture references for tv shows, games and movies but including something like that, as a background detail without mention? That's pretty good work, hats off to them.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 25, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat I never knew what that was called but I definitely drew it in grade school too. This show is really funny.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jamesman posted:

Might need a gif of Jessica's pimp walk.

Those Stussy Ss have been on the title screen of every episode during the intro song. Everyone drew them because knowing the procedure of how to draw them was the hip fad for many years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AnacondaHL posted:

Those Stussy Ss have been on the title screen of every episode during the intro song. Everyone drew them because knowing the procedure of how to draw them was the hip fad for many years.

Six vertical lines

| | |

| | |

Then 4 diagonals, north to east

\
| | |
\ \
| | |
\

Then two more diagonals, North to west

/ \
| | |
\ \
| | |
\ /

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

And two little tabs in the middle at an arbitrary angle to finish the connection in the back! That's where the creativity and individuality resides.

This show is a complete failure if they don't have anyone learning or doing the Macarena.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

A MIRACLE posted:

The best part of this episode was the tip jar having that super-90's S symbol that we all used to draw in 4th grade

I liked that everyone drinks Squeez-its

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Showdown at the Golden Saddle | 8:00 PM on ABC, 30 min 2015 TV-PG
Vandals cause trouble for the Huangs. Meanwhile, Eddie tries to get the attention of a girl he likes, who's hired as the babysitter.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
You know this is what the bus driver was talking about with "Lucky hands."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mitch no :(

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I AM A BUTT

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Subyng posted:

I AM A BUTT

I don't get it

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Not liking the accents. They're way too comprehensible for 'fresh off the boat' immigrants.

johntfs posted:

You know this is what the bus driver was talking about with "Lucky hands."

Yes, of course. The driver deliberately faced the cover towards the camera for a few seconds. It wasn't the least bit subtle.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Irish Joe posted:

Not liking the accents. They're way too comprehensible for 'fresh off the boat' immigrants.

Yes, of course. The driver deliberately faced the cover towards the camera for a few seconds. It wasn't the least bit subtle.

As I understand it, they're "fresh of the boat" from Taiwan. They have full knowledge and mastery of the English language, but some American cultural stuff trips them up a little.

I missed the part where the magazine cover faced front and only saw the back cover. I figured it was another of those little 90s things where you just had to suss it out from the context.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

johntfs posted:

As I understand it, they're "fresh of the boat" from Taiwan. They have full knowledge and mastery of the English language, but some American cultural stuff trips them up a little.

That makes sense, I guess. My only exposure to Asian immigrants have been from China & Vietnam.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Presumably Eddie's folks have been in the US for a few years anyway, not sure how long it takes for a major accent to start going away but there's that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weren't they living in Washington for years before they moved to Orlando?

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Eddie was born in the US so they've been here for at least 11 years

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Not everyone in Asia speaks incomprehensible English? :psyduck:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Mitch, nooooo....

On the bright side, Albert Tsai (Bert from Trophy Wife) is coming up.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Caught up with the last episode.

Did they just 'crafty jew' the asian kid with jewish parents?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't bump the thread for the last episode. Whoops.

License to Sell | 8:00 PM on ABC, 30 min 2015 TV-PG
Jessica may not take the real estate exam because she fears competing with the area's top realtor; and Eddie seeks advice from Louis on how to woo an older girl.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Now I want a chipwich. :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

We're coming Shaq. We forgive you for Shaq-fu!

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

This is all leading to Shaq making a cameo in a Magic jersey, right? It has to.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
Hopefully

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Blind Spot
8:00 PM on ABC
Jessica is miffed with Louis for not being jealous when her college boyfriend visits; and Eddie tries to get out of the school science fair.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That was probably one the funnier episodes. Although I'm sure they softballed it pretty hard w/r/t the gay friend, I was expecting some next level cold shouldering. Maybe that was just my personal experience.

Also broken gaydar/lovedar callbacks were hilarious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

She was pregnant.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Sober posted:

That was probably one the funnier episodes. Although I'm sure they softballed it pretty hard w/r/t the gay friend, I was expecting some next level cold shouldering. Maybe that was just my personal experience.

Also broken gaydar/lovedar callbacks were hilarious.

I laughed quite a lot at this episode. They are doing a pretty good job with this show.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Hooray for chicken dance blood cell cgi.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I find it interesting that the kind of main character kid is getting so thoroughly overshadowed by his brothers & parents. Its not even that he's bad, i like him a lot. Pretty solid casting in this show.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I think the dad is my favorite character so I'm glad he seems to get the most screen time but I definitely agree it's odd that the main character isn't quite as prominent as you'd think.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
The 'main' character is a one trick pony, he is only funny when we laugh at him the others are funny when we laugh with them. Plus he is a pretty annoying gangsta wannabe.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Kind of like Malcolm in the Middle. Really this show is Asian MitM.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

gandlethorpe posted:

Kind of like Malcolm in the Middle. Really this show is Asian MitM.

I'm listening to an interview with Nahnatchka Khan and lo and behold, she worked on that show.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

The 'main' character is a one trick pony, he is only funny when we laugh at him the others are funny when we laugh with them. Plus he is a pretty annoying gangsta wannabe.

Well in that sense it's kind of true to the source material...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Very Superstitious | 8:00 PM on ABC
Superstition gets the best of Jessica when she sells a house with four in its address, as four is an unlucky number in Chinese culture; and a white lie spirals out of control when Eddie runs for school president.

Home Sweet Home-School | 8:30 PM on ABC
Louis and Jessica butt heads over how to raise their kids.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Right girls?

Haha the ending scene with Pippen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right girls?

Haha the ending scene with Pippen.