Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The reason movies get letterboxed (black bars on the top and bottom of the screen) when they're put on TVs is because the movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than TV screens have, and they want to get the whole original image onto your TV. But video games are MADE FOR TVs, not movie theater screens, so it makes no sense and is insane to letterbox them. Why are they doing this?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

what

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
they say it's for "artistic reasons" but we know that it's really "bad programming/optimization"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Dennis System posted:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The reason movies get letterboxed (black bars on the top and bottom of the screen) when they're put on TVs is because the movies are shot
in a different aspect ratio than TV screens have, and they want to get the whole original image onto your TV. But video games are MADE FOR
TVs, not movie theater screens, so it makes no sense and is insane to letterbox them. Why are they doing this?!?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yessss finally a game that won't look squashed on my stupid Philips 21:9 Cinema TV

Thanks Sony!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
WELCOME TO THE NEXT GENERATION BITCH

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
sounds like garbage and personally? i'm mad as hell about it

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Ground floor on some earth-shattering discoveries here

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Execute Order 1886.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
for ultrawides, you plebes

get with it

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The Order: two cheese pizzas with EXTRA cheese. send it to my penthouse

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Execute Order 1886.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol if you look at the screen while playing video games :rolleyes:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Dennis System posted:

The reason movies get letterboxed (black bars on the top and bottom of the screen) when they're put on TVs is because the movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than TV screens have, and they want to get the whole original image onto your TV. But video games are MADE FOR TVs, not movie theater screens, so it makes no sense and is insane to letterbox them. Why are they doing this?!?
If you want a serious answer, there are composition considerations based on the aspect ratio that give you a different "feel" based on the elements shown on screen and how they are arranged. Therefore you can make an argument that to give a desired style you should be allowed to designate the aspect ratio and force the viewer to accomodate you.

There are at least two problems with this though: the viewer doesn't give a poo poo and either they or someone else along the chain between you and them will break that somehow, loving up your composition and chopping stuff off on the sides as they please, and secondly it's pretentious as gently caress.

The real answer however is some douchebag associates letterboxing with a "cinematic" feel and they believe by wasting space on your screen they can make the game feel more like a movie. It's not even original, Ocarina of Time did this for gently caress's sake.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The order 1886 will be letterboxed.

It will also be a titanic turd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It being letterboxed is bad, but the whole game looks like it's going to be pretty bad, so it fits.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

don't get too worked up about it, it will be poo poo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Watch this poo poo on it. Or, don't it is up to you:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
reminder that the devs of the order 1886 literally think that the act of gameplay is a hinderance to the game

quote:

CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

a retard posted:

reminder that the devs of the order 1886 literally think that the act of gameplay is a hinderance to the game

" I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there."

why yes it is and we fully expect you to overcome that challenge... because you are making a GAME.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

I love using "The Dennis System"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

a retard posted:

Jesus Christ, what a bunch of retards.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

the developers said that it was unfortunate that "gameplay" has to be a part of games.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
This is why games are dead.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
We have too many game developers that were too retarded for film making trying to make movies with videogames.

EDIT: How the gently caress did I miss the edit button?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
wow that sounds like crap

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
oh you're talking about a video game

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

We have too many game developers that were too retarded for film making trying to make movies with videogames.

boy, you don't even know. just read this quote from one of the lead devs from a few months ago:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464912/previews/hands-on-and-interview-the-order-1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

"waaaaaahhhhh we actually have to provide gameplay when making a loving video game"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Actually David Cage is a genius, and furthermore...

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why don't they just make a CGI movie then?

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Volume posted:

why don't they just make a CGI movie then?

or a comic book?

A: they can't loving write a cohesive long form narrative for poo poo, and have to fill the space between the plot points of the most bland, shallow, and hamfisted stories ever written with something. most game writers convince themselves they're writing the next Brothers Karamazov instead of baby's first 5 act play.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
you reading this, Ready at Dawn? you motherfuckers are DONE

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tbf we all should have known this was a pos when the devs talk about there being werewolves and cool technology and poo poo and all the gameplay trailers are just cover-based shooting

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like the film grain effect in games like alien isolation and mass effect

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
Pre-order canceled. Launch party legs and strippers also canceled. gently caress.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
today randy quaid uploaded a video of himself loving his wife, whom is wearing a rupert murdoch mask

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
sony is a fail game company. a fatwa on anyone who had a ps2 instead of a dreamcast.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
hello has anyone said the order 420 will be hotboxed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

afeelgoodpoop posted:

sony is a fail game company. a fatwa on anyone who had a ps2 instead of a dreamcast.
I had a dreamcast first, may my life be spared?

• Locked thread