Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Don't worry OP, I'm sure there will be another class action lawsuit against Sony for not giving us all the Ps it said on the game box

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/20/7426763/killzone-shadowfall-lawsuit-resolution-multiplayer-digital-foundry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wasn't evil within also letterboxed? It loving sucked so

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dash O Pepper posted:

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

I thought this was a joke, jesus christ just make a movie instead.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

everyone thought dying light was going to be a turd and that rules so why should i listen to any of you fags now

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

End Of Worlds posted:

today randy quaid uploaded a video of himself loving his wife, whom is wearing a rupert murdoch mask

is it letterboxed?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

bunky posted:

everyone thought dying light was going to be a turd and that rules so why should i listen to any of you fags now

Did the devs say they were skimping on the gameplay for the story? Doubtful, considering the different things you can do. This looks like Mass Effect 3; cover-shooter segment followed by 20 minute cutscene and repeat.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Flannelette posted:

I thought this was a joke, jesus christ just make a movie instead.

Lmao you retard, like they're talented enough or good enough at making stories to be able to compete in film.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Expect more of this for at least this year and then it'll stop as developers ship their first PS4/Xbone game. They've all been working on them for a while, before they knew exactly what kind of machine that these games were supposed to run on. It turns out that in Sony/Microsoft's attempt to make their consoles into cheap PC's that do everything, they reserved an unusually major chunk of the consoles' resources. Those ads and share buttons are eating up whole cores and literally almost half of the ram. Woops! I guess we better add letterboxing because there's no way that we can afford running our cool game on this hardware without cutting out some pixels!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Evil Within, a fairly hideous game, also had this letterboxing, it also failed to accomplish anything as the framerate still dropped to abysmal levels consistently.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Imagine the framerate before the change.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Dennis System posted:

The reason movies get letterboxed (black bars on the top and bottom of the screen) when they're put on TVs is because the movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than TV screens have, and they want to get the whole original image onto your TV. But video games are MADE FOR TVs, not movie theater screens, so it makes no sense and is insane to letterbox them. Why are they doing this?!?

Maybe the PS4 is not as powerful as they would have you believe and is coasting worldwide on brand recognition?

Really makes U think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

only doing this so that it will look normal on your grandparents TV with the aspect pre-hosed up

• Locked thread