Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Statistically speaking, whether you buy 1 ticket or 100, you're going to have roughly the same chance of winning the lotto (i.e. > 0). By entering in a lotto pool at the office, all you are doing is guaranteeing that if you do win, you'll have a 100% chance that you need to split the winnings.

Even so, if you don't go into the pool and the pool happens to win (very statistically unlikely), you'll finally rid yourself of all your colleagues who are too stupid to do basic logic and reasoning. Any way it's always a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

You make some interesting points, but the fact of the matter is that you're a fag

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i agree, gambling is stupid

if you want to make!money!fast just lie a lot, that seems to be how everyone else does it

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's true! I suck the dick.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
hmmm, I agree, OP

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You have to do the group/work lotto thing because if you don't and they win you have to kill yourself.

Also, powerball is like 300 million.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

No. 6 posted:

Nice. Come to Des Moines and I'll buy you all the "lottery tickets" you want.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Reminds me of a joke.

What has 5 balls and fucks poor people?

givepatajob fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 5, 2015

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

No. 6 posted:

Statistically speaking, whether you buy 1 ticket or 100, you're going to have roughly the same chance of winning the lotto (i.e. > 0). By entering in a lotto pool at the office, all you are doing is guaranteeing that if you do win, you'll have a 100% chance that you need to split the winnings.

Even so, if you don't go into the pool and the pool happens to win (very statistically unlikely), you'll finally rid yourself of all your colleagues who are too stupid to do basic logic and reasoning. Any way it's always a win.

what if you buy a ticket yourself ad get in the pool op?

owned bitch

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Remember when Elliot Rodger (the supreme gentleman) bought thousands of dollars worth of lottery tickets because he thought it was his destiny to win? All lotto ticket buyers are equally this stupid. I've bought a few lotto tickets in my life too, but I'm a well known moron.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I spent like $400 on CashWords over the course of about two months

I regret nothing!

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

No. 6 posted:

Did you mean to mean to put that "greater than" sign to mean "greater than zero" or did you gently caress up?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

dethkon posted:

Did you mean to mean to put that "greater than" sign to mean "greater than zero" or did you gently caress up?

Greater than zero. But I hosed up most of my life, so there's that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I drat well know that playing the lotto is a suckers bet but I could literally light that 5 bux on fire every week and not ever notice it missing and it buys me the fantasy of having a snowballs chance in hell of waking up a millionaire on the weekend.

Over the course of my life ya that'll be like 15 grand but lets be honest, I'm spending way more than that over the course of my life buying the premium toilet paper rather than the budget single ply.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

I drat well know that playing the lotto is a suckers bet but I could literally light that 5 bux on fire every week and not ever notice it missing and it buys me the fantasy of having a snowballs chance in hell of waking up a millionaire on the weekend.

Over the course of my life ya that'll be like 15 grand but lets be honest, I'm spending way more than that over the course of my life buying the premium toilet paper rather than the budget single ply.

Yeah but you could just put that 5 bux in a piggy bank in your house, and then use that 15 grand to buy the really luxe Depends when you're old.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When I'm old I'm gonna wear a mumu and just drop deuces on the sidewalk while looking people straight in the eye and giving them the 'I'm old, what the gently caress are you gonna do about it?' stare.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I'm trying to decide if it'd be more funny to be the odd man out of a group lotto when the group won, or to be the group when the odd man out won.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
People who spend anything more than pocket change on the lotto are loving morons, admittedly, but people who poo poo on casual gambling are usually the same kind of people that die with a million in their bank account. The funeral is full of people talking about how much of a no fun having penny pinching gently caress they were and then whoever scores the inheritance blows it on vacations and poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

dethkon posted:

I like having a greater than 0 chance at winning the lottery, seems like good odds!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm in the group pool at work, because I don't want to be the sorry bastard that gets left behind if it ever wins.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

dethkon posted:

He was correct, just in a really stupid way.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
ive bought like four tickets throughout my life and ive made a five dollar profit in total

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Three times I won more than 10 bux on the lotto. One was $50 on a scratch ticket I picked up while thinking 'gently caress it this day can't get any worse' after sleeping in and losing an hour worth of pay and having to take a super long and expensive cab to work because the bus schedule was hosed. After factoring in the lost wages and cab fare I came out ahead 5 bux.

Second time I won a hundred but found out the repair job on my brakes was gonna be more than expected.

Third was a week a go, I spent my 20 bux on sushi a coffee and another ticket.

I bet if I'd invested the money I've spent so far on the lotto I'd be a thousandairre!

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
op never gets invited to his office lotto pool

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I play $2 to buy a powerball ticket when it gets above like $200 million. I have no shame.

Feels weird when I see someone in there dropping like $100 on tickets though.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

No. 6 posted:

hey me too. want to meet up? i live in chicago, but i have a car we can gently caress in.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
had a syndicate at work where we all chipped in the price of a lotto ticket every week but eventually that stopped and everything we won weekly just went back into the purchase of tickets so it was pretty much a pointless activity

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
guys wait

what if its a trick so nobody will play against him

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i won the tickets themselves, so it's all profit.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.
i once dated a girl whose father won several million in the lottery, but by the time i met her he had spent all the money, was dead, and she lived in a make-shift room in the basement of her widowed mother's tiny single-story house, surround by the sports memorabelia and baseball cards that her dead father presumably blew most of the winnings on

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

SeaTard posted:

I'm in the group pool at work, because I don't want to be the sorry bastard that gets left behind if it ever wins.

you will anyway, because whoever holds on to the tickets is just going to run off with the money like they do every time one of these pools wins

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

you will anyway, because whoever holds on to the tickets is just going to run off with the money like they do every time one of these pools wins

Has this happened? Source?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Has this happened? Source?

sounds like common sense, because what legal recourse would the other participants have?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gnarlyhotep posted:

sounds like common sense, because what legal recourse would the other participants have?

If you have a whole office of people with copies of the tickets and the one who is holding them runs off, I am pretty sure they would have legal recourse.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

If you have a whole office of people with copies of the tickets and the one who is holding them runs off, I am pretty sure they would have legal recourse.

yeah but only one ticket wins...maybe its a lord of the tickets situation

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Waltzing Along posted:

goddamn who cares

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

google "lottery pool lawsuits" and enjoy

tl;dr, yes you have legal recourse but your money will be in legal limbo for years and years and even then most of it's going to lawyers

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The idea of getting into a pool is to give you a larger chance to win a smaller pot, and that has to do with the marginal utility of money. Technically if you buy 1 ticket for a $500 million jackpot or if you buy 1 share out of 100 shares of 100 tickets, your expected value is the same. In the latter scenario, you just have 100 chances to win $5 million. However, if you think that there's not going to be a ton of difference in your life if you won $5 million or $500 million (and I think that's a pretty fair assessment for most people), then you should of course take 100 chances to win $5 million rather than 1 chance to win $500 million.

This is also why the banker in Deal or No Deal always offered less than expected value for his deals (and because it made good television).

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

EngineerSean posted:

The idea of getting into a pool is to give you a larger chance to win a smaller pot, and that has to do with the marginal utility of money. Technically if you buy 1 ticket for a $500 million jackpot or if you buy 1 share out of 100 shares of 100 tickets, your expected value is the same. In the latter scenario, you just have 100 chances to win $5 million. However, if you think that there's not going to be a ton of difference in your life if you won $5 million or $500 million (and I think that's a pretty fair assessment for most people), then you should of course take 100 chances to win $5 million rather than 1 chance to win $500 million.

This is also why the banker in Deal or No Deal always offered less than expected value for his deals (and because it made good television).

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

EngineerSean posted:

as an Econ undergrad I say.....

Shut the gently caress up with the :words: shitfucker!!!

• Locked thread