Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Holy cow that will be awesome. In noobweaver news, I finally got the drat dish towel warp tied on and must have lost a foot of loom waste already because I was apparently incapable of cutting or tying any two ends evenly. I'm really wondering if I'm too dumb to do this, at this point. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Holy cow that will be awesome. In noobweaver news, I finally got the drat dish towel warp tied on and must have lost a foot of loom waste already because I was apparently incapable of cutting or tying any two ends evenly. I'm really wondering if I'm too dumb to do this, at this point. :eng99:

None of my bouts ever end up even. They are all slightly different tensions when you wind the warp, so none of the ends are even when you tie on. I do need to work on my winding on, but I'll have a 6"-8" difference between short and long ends.

Either both my husband and I, or one of us (depending on how my daughter bucks this cold she has) is going tomorrow to get the 16 shaft super loom™ tomorrow. SO EXCITED

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

#ohshitohshitohshit

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Amykinz, that looks impressive. And it looks quite a bit smaller than I thought it would (not weaving width wise, length wise). I've only ever seen floor looms that take up half/all of the room.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm kinda surprised at the relative compactness of it as well. Very pleased with it though, as that room has to be somewhat usable after we rearrange all the other crap out of it. I'm awaiting cotton yarn to play with on it, as the wool I have is stretchy and I want something solid for sampling.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Amykinz posted:

#ohshitohshitohshit

:stare: Oh My God... is that one of the programmable thingy ones? Can you give us a rundown on how those work - do you actually insert cards into the dobby thingie or what?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
This one is a mechanical dobby, and you use wooden bars connected into chain with pins set up to lift specific shafts for that line of the pattern. I can do a really in depth post later when the kids are more cooperative, but there is a set of little levers that the pins push on and that tells the loom with ones to lift. They make a 'compudobby' now that you just hook a laptop to, but I'm mildly excited about setting up the pins and making a big wooden chain to do it. If you zoom in the picture and look at the box on the top left of the castle (the top part of the loom) you'll see the dobby box and the bars set up for plain weave.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Oh awesome, Amy - pleeeeease can we have a video of it in operation sometime? :)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Oh awesome, Amy - pleeeeease can we have a video of it in operation sometime? :)

I think I can manage that :haw:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Had a couple extra minutes after dinner and my husband helped me out!

Extremely dorky walkthrough of loom 'features': (by sandpaper beam, I mean a pressure beam where there isn't any tying on, the yarn just *sticks*, it also apparently shreds your forearms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_9i43NgQ1U

Close up video of just the dobby mechanism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HV_mrOZP8

Sorry about everything being so dark!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Weaving is always one of those things I wanted to do, but I never seemed to have the time or money for it. Just like spinning. Or college. :smith:

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Amykinz posted:

Had a couple extra minutes after dinner and my husband helped me out!

Extremely dorky walkthrough of loom 'features': (by sandpaper beam, I mean a pressure beam where there isn't any tying on, the yarn just *sticks*, it also apparently shreds your forearms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_9i43NgQ1U

Close up video of just the dobby mechanism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HV_mrOZP8

Sorry about everything being so dark!

No, that's great, thank you!! Wow - that compared to my little 4-shaft Hammett is like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo. :stare:

I can't wait to see what you make with it. :)

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished the scarf that taught me that weaving is an acquired taste, which I don't have yet.

And a pic with black light shining against it.

The entire thing is going to an exhibition from our spinning/weaving group in May :)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So far I have a whopping 2 inches of a 12 inch wide warp threaded in the heddles. gently caress 24 epi. (it's gonna look so pretty though)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Hey there weavers.

My wife does quite a bit mostly baby blankets. So many baby blankets.

It all started with a backstrap loom which is a great option for anyone who wants to give weaving a try.

I made this in a few hours with maybe $30 is parts. It has somehow become my most watched youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfKuty4Qvy0

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally got a warp on and playing around with the dobby. This is FUN. Follows are pictures of the patterns I'm playing with currently, all off a 12 shaft point threading. There is a pinstripe effect because I have 4 ends per dent in the reed to give me 24 epi. I'm expecting that to even out in the wash.

Plain Weave:

A double direction heart draft I made up (I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't seen it):

A diamond pattern:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I'm trying to follow the instructions found here: https://sites.google.com/site/fibrecraftsza/contents/weaving-on-a-box for making a cardboard box into a loom. I started following the instructions, and so far I have cut a box down to size, marked off 5mm increments, and poked two hundred holes around the sides of it with a tapestry needle and a thimble. Now I'm on the third tool to cut the notches at the top. Sawing with a kitchen knife was garbage. Tin snips worked beautifully to cut through the cardboard, but the ends were too wide and kept tearing the tabs. Using the tips of scissors didn't give enough leverage, so now I'm using the very top of a pair of scissors. It cuts through the cardboard, but it's hard to be precise, and it cuts the edges more than the center. I think the holes aren't doing me any good because they aren't big enough. I need to add an awl to my tools.

I have a dozen skeins of home-spun yarn finishing right now in its final rinse. I'll need to thwap it and dry it before I can use it for weaving. I'm not sure what to use to warp the box, but I'll figure something out.

Pictures so far:

Box

Box cut down, ends turned into flaps that are folded in, 5mm increments marked, straight line marked for depth, and holes punched across.

Starting to cut them. The first few starting from the right were sawed with a knife, then snipped with tin snips. On the long side, I finally start using scissors, and it's much less raggedy. It's also much less crooked and stupid.

And here's the drying yarn I've spun that will be used to do this weaving.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I don't know exactly how much it matters, but for what its worth the few times I've used cardboard boxes for loom-bases of this sort I've had better luck using compressed cardboard, not corrugated - but that takes a lot of sturdiness away, and you have to be delicate with it. With that me this, you can just scissor the holes and be fine.

Another idea might be to use an xacto (or other sort of craft knife - I use #11 blades for everything),, or... Maybe even just a box cutter? Don't over-think it lady. :p

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

I don't know exactly how much it matters, but for what its worth the few times I've used cardboard boxes for loom-bases of this sort I've had better luck using compressed cardboard, not corrugated - but that takes a lot of sturdiness away, and you have to be delicate with it. With that me this, you can just scissor the holes and be fine.

Another idea might be to use an xacto (or other sort of craft knife - I use #11 blades for everything),, or... Maybe even just a box cutter? Don't over-think it lady. :p

It's done cut. I went after it with scissors a few slits at a time. Now I keep forgetting the warp at school (where I store all the things I'm not using at home these days and sometimes use them for teaching). I'm just going to take the box with me tomorrow and do it there.

I started thinking about the shawls I'm going to weave on the 4' triloom that's half-built in my classroom, then got obsessed with shawl pins, and now I am sitting in front of a wire jig and making horrible abominations out of wire. Symmetry is hard.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Valdara posted:

I started thinking about the shawls I'm going to weave on the 4' triloom that's half-built in my classroom, then got obsessed with shawl pins, and now I am sitting in front of a wire jig and making horrible abominations out of wire. Symmetry is hard.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on a nålebinding needle carving kick. Bonedust everywhere! :D

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on a nålebinding needle carving kick. Bonedust everywhere! :D

Oh poo poo for reals wear a respirator. Bone dust is dangerous. You prob already know that, but just in case.

Forgot my box at home. Gonna take the string to it today. If I remember the string.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!

That drat Satyr posted:

ALL THE RESPIRATORS. I've been making wire needles and pins lately and when it's time to put points on them I'll also be using my belt sander to finish a bone belt buckle, antler comb and probably a nalebinding needle or three. I already know that carbou antler dust smells like burning hoof-tuna and I suspect bone will be bad too.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Oh of course I wear a respirator (and eye covering)! I'm crazy, not stupid! :x

To be honest though, bone isn't /that/ bad. I find antler and horn to be way yuckier. The bone just.. gets every-friggin-where, do it outside or have a shop vac hooked up right where you're working to suck as much of it away as possible.

It just occurred to me that I could probably make some pretty sweet bone shuttles. I voulenteer at a wolfdog rescue, and during the fall hunters bring their kills up so we can feed protein, and they usually de-bone a lot of the bits, especially the legs. For the past four years they've been saving me all of the leg bones, and I just brought them home a few months ago and they've been thrown out in my garden seasoning in the sun. They're the perfect size and thickness for the nalbinding needles, but they'd be great for shuttles too.

For shits and giggles, here are the ones I've made. Because... technically nalbinding is weaving, right? RIGHT?

These are the very first ones I made, and they're based on the size and shape of historical finds. Specifically, these:

(more info on them here)

After some working with them, I decided that the taper on them is kind of a pain in the rear end to stitch with, especially when working anything tightly woven. I'm used to stitching with a huge blunt tapestry needle, so I went back to the drawing board and tried to make a few that were more consistent in width. I also kind of had an ADHD moment and decided I was going to try and make some sewing needles. Because of reasons.

And... my husband made these, because he likes showing me up. The top two are pure copper, hand beaten and shaped with no power tools at all (he's a blacksmith), and the wooden one is black walnut, also hand-carved. The copper ones are friggin' amazing to stitch with. I'm pretty sure he could sell them. I've almost made a whole hat using the smallest of the copper needles pictured here, and it's quickly becoming my favorite.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Someone go back in time and inform me that 36" wide crackle weave is a bitch to thread when you have a pre-schooler hell bent on "helping" you. I'm doing the heddle song, "8767,6545,6543,4323" and she's going "seben, ten, ten twelf!"

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Working on warping my box. I finally bought metal tapestry needles with bent tips so I can stop breaking my plastic ones. I hosed up the corners, and now I am going to have to be Very Clever to figure out how to fix it. You can see how it's been pulled in and the left side is all wopperjawed and awful. I will macguyver a fix out of this somehow.

Edit: FIXED! I never said it would be pretty.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 29, 2015

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Looks like you totally planned that, Valdera :) Corners NEED reinforcment!

And Amykinz, that sounds adorable. I'm sure it's way less cute to experience, though.

As a side note, is there an SCA thread? I see bits of one all over the fiber threads as well as the metal and leather working threads.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Weaving takes so goddamn much yarn. I love it. And it means I don't have to knit this bullshit ugly dishwater pink gross yarn I hated spinning but couldn't bear to knit or throw away. YOU'RE THE BOTTOM OF MY BAG, rear end in a top hat YARN.

petecas posted:

As a side note, is there an SCA thread? I see bits of one all over the fiber threads as well as the metal and leather working threads.

Not that I've seen, but there totally should be one. There's got to be some more Goon-SCA overlap going on.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
So I bought a Schacht 25" 4 shaft table loom a few months back super cheap. Finally got some warp ordered - 10/2 and 8/2 cotton 1 lb cones. Going to make a warping board from PVC cuz I'm cheap like that. So I have a dumb / silly question. How in the hell do you not overlap / tangle the warp while you're winding it on? I don't mean the crosses. Having a hard time thinking of how to explain. Or does it not really matter once you cut it?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I do ties every two feet down the warp to keep it from getting all hosed up, and I 'chain' the warp as I take it off the board so it doesn't become a huge mess. I'm sure you could find video, but I take the end that I'm not threading/tying on with off the warping board and use the loop at that end to start a crochet chain with the whole whack of threads. I just keep going and leave a few feet unchained at the end with my raddle cross or threading cross (depending on if I'm warping back-to-front or front-to-back)

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

May I just say that I love the word "whopper jawed" ? I'm going to use it everywhere now. :allears:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Finally getting around to weaving a little more. Sometimes I think being into so many different crafts seriously works against me, but... oh well. More card weaving fun! This is my first pattern out of Applesies and Fox Noses - the pattern is called Fine Crooked Knees with Small Applesies.

Aaaalso, I agree, we totally need an SCA thread. We should collaborate and get an OP going for that. :P

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Progress on my box loom up through last Sunday (I've been in Kansas City since then, so no more progress).

That drat Satyr posted:

Finally getting around to weaving a little more. Sometimes I think being into so many different crafts seriously works against me, but... oh well. More card weaving fun! This is my first pattern out of Applesies and Fox Noses - the pattern is called Fine Crooked Knees with Small Applesies.

Aaaalso, I agree, we totally need an SCA thread. We should collaborate and get an OP going for that. :P

That's gorgeous! I love it. I also love the idea of an SCA thread, but I'm swamped with other things right now, and my down-time is planned for crafts and resting. Give me at least a week to recover from this ordeal in Kansas City (everything is not up to date), and then we can start planning.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Those are some pretty colors, Satyr! I was actually planning on doing a length of that pattern soon (in dark brown, orange and yellow. Handspun, because I hate myself).

Also, SCA thread means I'll have somplace to post pics of baby sized turnshoes I'm doing for an expecting friend.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Finishing up the bag.

Woven up to the top.

Bound and off the box.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I went and saw an exhibition of weaving this week and thought of you guys. I spent about an hour walking back and forth between two pieces and felt like I might need to go lay down for awhile. This picture is awful but the piece was so incredibly intricate:

The slip next to it said it was made through a sort of simple card-programming process and was basically 2 or 3 very simple motifs done over and over at different resolutions. If you ever get an opportunity to see some Laotian work please go, I'm not sure of the name of the technique but it is mind-blowing.

Here are some better examples, I saw the piece (or a very simlar one) that's in the top left. The assymetrical stuff was amazing to me, I can't understand how it was done.

http://www.tienchiu.com/travels/laos/lao-weaving/

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Valdara posted:

Finishing up the bag.

Woven up to the top.

Bound and off the box.

Cool now weave some straps.

DO IT. WITH CARDS. I CHALLENGE YOU. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

Cool now weave some straps.

DO IT. WITH CARDS. I CHALLENGE YOU. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE HAPPY FOR ME?!?

What's your favorite card weaving tutorial? Will index cards work, or do I need something sturdier?

I have a problem.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

You probably want something sturdier than index cards. My starters were cut out of a deck of playing cards and a hole punch. (If you have a high end hole punch, use it. The slightly ragged bits on the far side of my holes led to lots of frustration).

I used http://www.shelaghlewins.com/tablet_weaving/TW01/TW01.htm and http://www.stringpage.com/tw/basictw.html as my tutorial pages for my first one. However, their definition of S and Z threading is opposite of the Applesies and Fox Noses definition, which seems to be becoming the default.

ONE OF US ONE OF US!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally got all of the things on my "do before weaving" list done, so I got all the threading done, got everything wound on and all my tension figured out, and finally weaving again!!! (This is gonna be a tester for my woven baby wrap business :haw:)

And a mock up of the pattern from weavepoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Valdara posted:

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE HAPPY FOR ME?!?

What's your favorite card weaving tutorial? Will index cards work, or do I need something sturdier?

I have a problem.

Hey sorry, I meant to reply sooner but... Life, you know.

As petecas said, index cards might not be your best bet - you could make it work, especially if you were doing a small pack that was all turning the same direction, so they wouldn't get too tore up. I've had a friend I'm teaching make her own out of heavy cardstock, which you can get a whole pack of for pretty cheap and then you can make bigger or smaller cards as you like (I prefer mine bigger - the ones I use most are like 2.5in on each side). I also have some smaller, thicker wooden ones that... Are pretty to look at, but really chew up the string during normal turning despite that they're smooth and rounded. Use card/paper, you won't regret it.

As for tutorials... Gosh, I don't know. I'm on my phone atm, I'll try to remember to post some up in the morning. Doing a single- or two- color threaded in pattern is so easy, you'll have no trouble and soon be experimenting to do more complicated turnings with it I'm sure. :)

• Locked thread