Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Your OP is just fine!

My first loom was the most ghetto of ghetto box-and-chopsticks monstrosity, that somehow I managed to weave one single band on before the entire thing exploded.

I learned to weave in the SCA on an inkle loom - I currently own three looms, two inkle and one rigid heddle. I don't actually have a whole lot of photos of regular bands that I've woven on the inkle, but most of them are similar to this... only minus the snake.

Lately though, my weaving passion has been tablet/card weaving, and I've been teaching myself. It's.. complected, but stupidly fun once you get the rhythm of it down. Here are a few pieces I've done.

This was my first tablet woven band that I completed. The design is historical - and the most basic design you can make with cards. There are a lot of extant pieces with this same chevron design - for example, this islamic piece that dates from ~1000AD

This was a camera strap - a gift to a beloved instructor as a retirement present. I think I shocked him when I told him I made it by hand. :)

My kitty hates the loom. He's my tension tester - quite often he decides he's going to plow right through the middle of whatever I'm working on. Or attack it randomly because strings are a huge threat to his personal safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

petecas posted:

pure insanity

holy. crap. You are literally insane. I bet they're SO awesome, though. I play viking too and I am so jealous! I see you're using what looks like Lacis cards - what do you think about them? I'm hesitant to buy them because I'm wishy-washy about spending money on stuff I can just make myself - so far all of my cards have been made of flat cardboard except for a small set of 10 that I got from the same person that made my first inkle loom.

And, no unfortunately I've not gotten Applesies yet - it's on my shopping list though! I have found however that a lot of our local libraries have some really antique books on tablet weaving, and I've been nabbing those to help me on my journey of learning. Most of them are from the 70's and have patterns that you'd imagine to see from that era, but in the end it's all the same techniques. This book has been one of the better ones I've found - unfortunately out of print, though so for now it'll just be a forever-checked-out-from-the-library book for me. :/

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 8, 2015

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Already a member! :) I just boggle at some of the stuff people make on there and think... some day. Some day....

Have you ever done any of the teeny teeny tiny tablet weaving? That stuff is totally nuts. Stuff like this (shamelessly stole from Pinterest):

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

As petecas said - you basically are working with 4 (or more - I've seen people with cards that have up to 8 holes threaded on them which is just nuts) warp threads, and so every time you turn the cards you essentially are bringing two threads up to the top - whatever two threads are on the "top" of the card on that turn. It's really, really, REALLY difficult to describe how the more convoluted patterns work without pictures or a video unfortunately, so here are both.

A short tutorial page, that explains some of the more complected details like "S" and "Z" threading - which is the thing that will screw you up more than anything else in this type of weaving. I still screw it up pretty much every time and have to rethread half of my cards every single time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaXrxL_8o4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R8zMPfZqmE
Incidentally, I've never actually seen the reversals done like this one. I can't believe I never thought of that. Damnit.

And this is what some of the more complicated patterns can look like once they're charted out:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

This thread is a bad, bad thing. I just made a deposit on a new loom just to do tablet weaving because whoops my paypal slipped.

Still being built - it'll be the sort with rachety cranks on it so the tension can be set as you work. SO PRETTY AAAAAAAA. I love purple heartwood so much. The prettiest. The guy that made this one is the same person that made my very first inkle loom (Egill's Woodstuff out of Ohio - he's a very good woodworker and sells at several SCA events if you're into that sort of stuff).

Also, more tablet blather:
This little "History of tablet weaving" was just recently posted to one of the facebook groups I'm in and it does a great job of showing and explaining the history of the art, so that's something else to look at if you're interested!
http://weavedmagic.deviantart.com/journal/Origins-of-most-popular-tablet-weaving-patterns-394709084

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

My monster loom came in Friday, but we were out of town all weekend and I've only just now had time to drool all over it while scheming up what I could make.

To that end, the largest work I've seen done with cards (well, "seen" as in seen photos of) is stuff like this which they claim is 353 tablets in double faced cotton.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

This is sort of a bleed over from the embroidery thread, but I finally decided I hated the plain border I had woven on my inkle then stitched to the wolf bag I made. After some hrming and fussing with it, I went to the yarn shop and got the tiniest, most delicate yarn I could find ( Malabrigo baby silkpaca lace ).

...And now have 10 tablets laid out weaving a new seam guard / band directly onto the bag.

This is only the second time I've tried to do the "weaving directly on to the textile to reinforce a seam" technique and... Well, I can definitely tell you I am terrified I'm now doing to destroy this thing with my ineptitude. So far so good though...

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I don't really have a tutorial, per se - but there are a couple "walk through" sort of process pictures. The problem is that most people that do this sort of thing don't speak English as their first language, so any posts or translations can be a little difficult to sort out at times. The process itself is really not that difficult, though, and is easy to figure out just by photos alone. That being said, the most helpful one that helped me was in the following post:

https://katafalk.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/open-hood-with-card-tablet-woven-edge/

But these are also helpful and show and explain the technique pretty well, as well:
http://amostpeculiarmademoiselle.blogspot.com/2011/05/tablet-woven-edge.html
http://hibernaatio.blogspot.com/2015/01/kudottu-yksityiskohta-tablet-woven.html
http://hibernaatio.blogspot.fi/2013/07/mad-mad-madder.html
http://www.amagyarjurta.com/index.php/iron-age-finnish-mantle-integrated-tablet-woven-band/

You can actually do this method with any sort of weaving you like - I made a liripipe hood based on a pattern by Katafalk (the first link above) and did the entire front edge with a basic one heddle weave in black wool and it was quite effective to pull the whole design right together. I'll take a picture of the weaving on it if anyone cares, but it's nothing special. Essentially you're doing the weaving (be that with cards, a heddle, or whatever) and every time you pass the weft, instead of going left to right and then shifting the heddle or turning the cards, then going back right to left, you just cut a length of the thread you're using as the weft, and then begin the weaving normally and then to start attaching it, do your first open shed and pass the weft, then instead of going back the other direction, stitch down and back around to the start, securing the weaving to the edge of the fabric. So, basically all you're going to be doing is ever passing the weft in one direction (I do left to right, and then make my stitches right to left).

The only crappy part about doing this on clothing is sometimes there's no good way to anchor the piece to anything so you can get good tension on the warp. With this bag, I've resorted to actually holding the bag in my left hand and pulling it taunt and making the stitches with my right. It's ghetto but it works.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 12, 2015

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

petecas - I have no ideas / suggestions for you, but that is going to be a super badass project and I really love the colors you've got going there, that pinky-purply one especially.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I don't know exactly how much it matters, but for what its worth the few times I've used cardboard boxes for loom-bases of this sort I've had better luck using compressed cardboard, not corrugated - but that takes a lot of sturdiness away, and you have to be delicate with it. With that me this, you can just scissor the holes and be fine.

Another idea might be to use an xacto (or other sort of craft knife - I use #11 blades for everything),, or... Maybe even just a box cutter? Don't over-think it lady. :p

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Valdara posted:

I started thinking about the shawls I'm going to weave on the 4' triloom that's half-built in my classroom, then got obsessed with shawl pins, and now I am sitting in front of a wire jig and making horrible abominations out of wire. Symmetry is hard.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on a nålebinding needle carving kick. Bonedust everywhere! :D

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Oh of course I wear a respirator (and eye covering)! I'm crazy, not stupid! :x

To be honest though, bone isn't /that/ bad. I find antler and horn to be way yuckier. The bone just.. gets every-friggin-where, do it outside or have a shop vac hooked up right where you're working to suck as much of it away as possible.

It just occurred to me that I could probably make some pretty sweet bone shuttles. I voulenteer at a wolfdog rescue, and during the fall hunters bring their kills up so we can feed protein, and they usually de-bone a lot of the bits, especially the legs. For the past four years they've been saving me all of the leg bones, and I just brought them home a few months ago and they've been thrown out in my garden seasoning in the sun. They're the perfect size and thickness for the nalbinding needles, but they'd be great for shuttles too.

For shits and giggles, here are the ones I've made. Because... technically nalbinding is weaving, right? RIGHT?

These are the very first ones I made, and they're based on the size and shape of historical finds. Specifically, these:

(more info on them here)

After some working with them, I decided that the taper on them is kind of a pain in the rear end to stitch with, especially when working anything tightly woven. I'm used to stitching with a huge blunt tapestry needle, so I went back to the drawing board and tried to make a few that were more consistent in width. I also kind of had an ADHD moment and decided I was going to try and make some sewing needles. Because of reasons.

And... my husband made these, because he likes showing me up. The top two are pure copper, hand beaten and shaped with no power tools at all (he's a blacksmith), and the wooden one is black walnut, also hand-carved. The copper ones are friggin' amazing to stitch with. I'm pretty sure he could sell them. I've almost made a whole hat using the smallest of the copper needles pictured here, and it's quickly becoming my favorite.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Finally getting around to weaving a little more. Sometimes I think being into so many different crafts seriously works against me, but... oh well. More card weaving fun! This is my first pattern out of Applesies and Fox Noses - the pattern is called Fine Crooked Knees with Small Applesies.

Aaaalso, I agree, we totally need an SCA thread. We should collaborate and get an OP going for that. :P

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Valdara posted:

Finishing up the bag.

Woven up to the top.

Bound and off the box.

Cool now weave some straps.

DO IT. WITH CARDS. I CHALLENGE YOU. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Valdara posted:

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE HAPPY FOR ME?!?

What's your favorite card weaving tutorial? Will index cards work, or do I need something sturdier?

I have a problem.

Hey sorry, I meant to reply sooner but... Life, you know.

As petecas said, index cards might not be your best bet - you could make it work, especially if you were doing a small pack that was all turning the same direction, so they wouldn't get too tore up. I've had a friend I'm teaching make her own out of heavy cardstock, which you can get a whole pack of for pretty cheap and then you can make bigger or smaller cards as you like (I prefer mine bigger - the ones I use most are like 2.5in on each side). I also have some smaller, thicker wooden ones that... Are pretty to look at, but really chew up the string during normal turning despite that they're smooth and rounded. Use card/paper, you won't regret it.

As for tutorials... Gosh, I don't know. I'm on my phone atm, I'll try to remember to post some up in the morning. Doing a single- or two- color threaded in pattern is so easy, you'll have no trouble and soon be experimenting to do more complicated turnings with it I'm sure. :)

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Pucklynn posted:

I've been obsessed with this pinwheel design ever since I first saw it, so now I've finally got the chance to try it out:

The yarn is my mom's homegrown alpaca, and this scarf is gonna be hella soft!

Beautiful! This is going to be AMAZEBALLS when it's done!

Valdara:
Check this facebook group, they have a TON of references in their "files" section:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/418594251523979/?fref=nf

As for proper tutorials, though, here are a few that look pretty good and have basic beginner patterns that you can play with to learn how to turn the cards and make the more complicated patterns like I mentioned:
http://www.weavezine.com/summer2008/wz_su08_PamHoward.php - This one is REALLY good and covers pretty much every single aspect of it
http://www.shelaghlewins.com/tablet_weaving/TW01/TW01.htm

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A friend showed me this a little bit ago... I don't feel so awesome about the little wee inkle loom I made out of a cardboard box anymore.

https://susaweaving.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/weaving-is-for-everyone-how-to-build-a-cardboard-and-bamboo-4-shaft-weaving-loom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

I just learned how to card weave and I'm making progress on my own but there's a dearth of beginner-level instructions on the internet, especially re: how to read patterns. Anyone got any recommendations?

You can do a LOT with just warping up two colors, one color each in the A B hole and the other in the C D hole, and playing. You can do a TON of patterns by doing this warping order and then just playing with the A / Z direction of the cards, which cards you turn, which direction, and how many.

This pace has some pictures and ideas of the pattern variations you can create with the 2 color warping that are pretty good in my opinion:
http://www.midrealm.org/mktag/projects/pelagiaTWintro/content.html

This blog also does an ok job of explaining the patterning:
http://oltramar.blogspot.com/2009/07/cardweaving-longestpostever.html

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread