Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I will be pissed as hell if the Browns draft Mariota. You drafted JFF at least give him one loving year to sink, or swim. Worst case is that he totally shits the bed, and we have a high draft pick next year in what will be a stronger QB draft. Well actually worst case is he does really well for the first half of the season then shits the bed, and we finish just good enough to miss all the can't miss guys again. What I'm saying is SAVE US CARDALE 2016!

People say this a lot, but even with as bad as the Browns' QB situation has been the last...whatever number of years, they haven't picked earlier than third since they took Trent Richardson after two of the best QB prospects in the league were picked 1-2. You have to be extremely loving bad to get the first overall pick, and I'd rather not watch the Browns be extremely loving bad. On top of that, you have to do it in a year when Andrew Luck enters the draft, not a year when Blake Bortles does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Comedy option. Go for Cardale Jones or whatever is Ohio State's QB.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

football fuckerman posted:

I'd rather not watch the Browns be extremely loving bad

spoiler alert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gatts posted:

all three of Ohio State's QBs aren't entering the draft

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Gatts posted:

Cardale Jones isn't a comedy option at all. I'd love to see the Browns land him. He has a lot of the physical characteristics that are needed in the AFCN. Hes huge can take a beating, and has a rocket arm. In the frozen windy hellhole that is the AFCN during playoff season Cardale is the kind of guy you'd want behind center.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cardale Jones needs to play more football games before I would be comfortable recommending a team drafts him.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

quote:

Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was critical of his 23-year-old stud receiver Wednesday -- who will end up missing 29 of 48 games in a three-year stretch.

"We spent a tremendous amount of time on Josh," Haslam said, per The Plain Dealer. "At a certain point in time an individual has to take care of themselves and do what's right -- not just for themselves ... but for the team, the coaches, the people in the building, the fans.

"Josh has failed to accept that responsibility. I hope he can get his life together, he's immensely gifted."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ehud posted:

Cardale Jones needs to play more football games before I would be comfortable recommending a team drafts him.
But you're not homeless.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

But I take no responsibility for what was surely my quick cash scheme and the downfall of Flying J.

e: I bet the homeless guy that said to draft JFF was the executive who took the fall for all this Flying J crap and lost his job.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Cardale Jones isn't a comedy option at all. I'd love to see the Browns land him. He has a lot of the physical characteristics that are needed in the AFCN. Hes huge can take a beating, and has a rocket arm. In the frozen windy hellhole that is the AFCN during playoff season Cardale is the kind of guy you'd want behind center.

Then let's see if he starts and if he does well wait a year or two and build everything else up. Accumulate some picks to move up and draft when he or a better prospect becomes available.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I've only read the first post...

So Draft Day was an alternate ending documentary?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Change the Patriots front office and coaches out with the Browns. The Patriots don't make the playoffs

Seriously, it doesn't matter who they draft.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'm not sure the Pats are the most talent-heavy team in the NFL, but you're probably right about whoever that would be, Broncos, Seahawks, whoever.

Pettine actually appeared to be pretty good in his first year, pretty conservative in the final 2 minutes of the first half a couple times but overall I think he is competent. Then we went and let Kyle Shanahan go after one year because the whole environment is toxic, and now to replace him we have a QB coach who has only ever called the plays in college at San Jose State. In fact, DeFilippo interviewed for Browns OC last year when we hired Shanahan, so he is literally our second choice to do the job. I didn't love Shanahan last year, but he was clearly above average.

As for the front office, Ray Farmer sure as gently caress took a hit this past season and offseason, huh? I thought he was supposed to be the hot prospect guy as a GM?? Then he drafted two apparent busts in the same first round??? But picked up starters or time-share guys (RB, CB) in the later rounds???? Also violated league rules and didn't even help us win because of it?????

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Regnevelc posted:

I've only read the first post...

So Draft Day was an alternate ending documentary?

He passed on the general consensus cant miss pick because of a feeling and then drafted a 2nd round pick 1st overall.

I feel like it's pretty true to life.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Athanatos posted:

He passed on the general consensus cant miss pick because of a feeling and then drafted a 2nd round pick 1st overall.

does the movie end with the guy being a bust and the gm being fired along with the entire coaching staff?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Jimmy Haslam is here to gently caress up every good thing the Browns have in place (and yes that should take him just a weekend)

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/s...future-1.566203

quote:

BEREA: The Browns won’t move their training camp this year, but it’ll likely migrate to Columbus in the near future.
Owner Jimmy Haslam revealed Wednesday the team will continue to hold camp at its headquarters in Berea this coming summer.
“Training camp will be here in Berea,” Haslam said during a 50-minute interview with Browns beat writers.
The Browns have spent months exploring potential venues for camp, including the University of Akron.
Haslam indicated Columbus is the favorite to become the new home of camp. He said President Alec Scheiner is spearheading ongoing negotiations with the city.
Yes, let's get our team president on the pressing issue of where training camp is held, good thing we have so much else settled so he can focus on that

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

football fuckerman posted:

Jimmy Haslam is here to gently caress up every good thing the Browns have in place (and yes that should take him just a weekend)

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/s...future-1.566203
Yes, let's get our team president on the pressing issue of where training camp is held, good thing we have so much else settled so he can focus on that

Kinda bummed it's not Akron.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah. I was considering joining the U of Akron gym. it's pretty awesome and has a lot of the latest stuff. TCU's is also boss as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cole posted:

Change the Patriots front office and coaches out with the Browns. The Patriots don't make the playoffs

Seriously, it doesn't matter who they draft.

Are they still playing in the AFC East?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just imagine if the Browns moved to the AFC East and the Patriots moved to the North. Bills supremacy.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

He should save that speech, he can reuse it in a year with Johnny.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bigass Moth posted:

Just imagine if the Browns moved to the AFC East and the Patriots moved to the North. Bills supremacy.

The weakest kid from Compton is still tougher than the baddest Hamptonite. You guys have got this. :hfive:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Flikken posted:

Kinda bummed it's not Akron.

Yeah, on top of all the of the other Browns problems I sure do wish they picked up heroin addictions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember around mid-season when it looked like that there was some light at the end of the tunnel for Browns fans? What the gently caress happened to cause things to be worse than ever before?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
They lost.

Remember, winning cures everything.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Isn't Draft Day basically what a dumb person thinks a smart NFL franchise is like?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember around mid-season when it looked like that there was some light at the end of the tunnel for Browns fans? What the gently caress happened to cause things to be worse than ever before?

The light was from the oncoming train.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

axeil posted:

Isn't Draft Day basically what a dumb person thinks a smart NFL franchise is like?

A smart what now?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, in order for him to be at risk of prosecution, they would have to be able show that he knew about the rebate scam.

I love how an individual being ignorant of a law is no excuse but the head of a corporation being ignorant of what happens in their name is.

Nothing better than getting off cause the prosecution can't prove you're not an oblivious idiot.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yeah, on top of all the of the other Browns problems I sure do wish they picked up heroin addictions.

It's better than getting lead poisoning from Kent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eifert Posting posted:

I love how an individual being ignorant of a law is no excuse but the head of a corporation being ignorant of what happens in their name is.

Nothing better than getting off cause the prosecution can't prove you're not an oblivious idiot.

There's a Frontline episode on Netflix about insider trading and apparently there's no law against negligence causing insider trading, like there would be for various other tasks. I imagine the situation might be similar here.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
insider trading also isn't illegal for members of the house or senate. fact. :911:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

insider trading also isn't illegal for members of the house or senate. fact. :911:

Nope! They changed that back in I think 2010 because people were pissed that basically all of Congress profited off of the financial collapse.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Insider trading falls under very specific guidelines. That's why something known as a 10-b 5 was created, to outline it specifically. Not to be confused with 10-b, which has to do with fraud.

I wouldn't use those as examples of criminal law simply bc very specific vs broad

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

axeil posted:

Nope! They changed that back in I think 2010 because people were pissed that basically all of Congress profited off of the financial collapse.

That was quietly undone.

Sorry Browns fans, you're never getting rid of Haslam.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bigass Moth posted:

Hell, the NFL already wishes the Pats to be in the same division as the Colts Broncos :v:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

computer parts posted:

There's a Frontline episode on Netflix about insider trading and apparently there's no law against negligence causing insider trading, like there would be for various other tasks. I imagine the situation might be similar here.

They can get you another way if they want. The Federal Government can ALWAYS get you if they want to. There was a guy in mergers and acquisitions at a Big 4 firm (90% sure PWC) who had a mistress. He would brag to his mistress about the deals he was working on "I'm working on a big time merger between X and Y blablabla $XX stock price" which you would think would bore her to death. However, as soon as he left she would call some other guy and they were making stock trades off this. After a couple of years the SEC noticed, traced it to her, figured out he was tipping her off on accident, and he went to jail. If only they cared as much about boating up Goldman Sachs hah (not funny :( )

The reason firms all print their stuff in house now is a copy shop near Wall Street used to trade off financial statements and stuff like that they were contracted to print. I'm not sure if anyone went to jail in that one. Actually, I am not even sure if this is true, but my college professor told me and I always thought those employees at the Kinkos or whatever making 9 dollars an hour were geniuses until they got caught.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
From NFL.com

quote:

Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman wrote Monday that "some players believed Manziel wasn't good enough to play in the NFL. It wasn't solely the work ethic or the partying, but a dramatic talent deficit."

After Manziel's ugly performance in a critical Week 15 contest against the Bengals -- a game the Browns lost 30-0 -- one anonymous player told Freeman he recalled asking a teammate: "Think about where we'd be now if we had drafted Teddy Bridgewater."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

"Think about where we'd be now if we had drafted Teddy Bridgewater."
brb sending this to Rick Smith

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

brb sending this to Rick Smith

I still can't believe the Texans didn't make a move for Bridgewater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

I still can't believe the Texans didn't make a move for Bridgewater.

They got trolled so loving hard. I'm still laughing about it.

• Locked thread