Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't think the average high schooler cares about that though, and I don't think it's a terrible thing that they don't. Joe Schmoe will surely have less of a chance of becoming a world traveling philosopher king, but he'll have no problem getting a good job where he grew up which is pretty much what most people want out of life

I don't think it's some easy decision where going to an Ivy league school is a no brainer, especially since I think people are catching on more and more in the future that a lot of the time having that Harvard degree just means 'my family has money and my grandfather went to Harvard' not 'I'm better than other people at things'

I don't think that the average high schooler has the grades/intelligence to get into the Ivys. I agree that for most people choosing to go to the best school football-wise is the best option but if you are good enough academically to get into Stanford then it has to be a tough choice between that and pretty much any other school in the nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

computer parts posted:

Though if it's like my school, most of the athletes are in their own educational track.

You see the occasional dude like Tannehill getting a Biology degree or Fat Randy getting a Petroleum Engineering degree, but in general at A&M it's either Kinesiology, Sports management, or something in that vein.

I know it's hard to believe but pretty much all non-scholarship players are at college to get a degree. A shitload of them are smart and get meaningful degrees that will be the foundation of a career that makes them a lot of money.

FBS blinds you to how hard kids on the FCS, DII, and DIII levels of play work because those kids, 99% of the time, don't have even the faintest notion of playing in the NFL so they know for a fact their future is what they make of it at college.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't think the average high schooler cares about that though, and I don't think it's a terrible thing that they don't. Joe Schmoe will surely have less of a chance of becoming a world traveling philosopher king, but he'll have no problem getting a good job where he grew up which is pretty much what most people want out of life

I don't think it's some easy decision where going to an Ivy league school is a no brainer, especially since I think people are catching on more and more in the future that a lot of the time having that Harvard degree just means 'my family has money and my grandfather went to Harvard' not 'I'm better than other people at things'

The average high schooler doesn't have the grades and scores and athletic ability to get into an Ivy school and play a sport for them. It's far from impossible for the lure of even a mediocre P5 school to outweigh a spot at Harvard because if your school has a decent academic rep you will probably see an Ivy offer or two for some of your lower-rated recruits but there are still kids every year who go to Ivy schools over FBS offers because they know what that degree and that networking can do for them. Those kids and parents are a lot smarter than people think, we're just tainted by dealing with FBS recruits who can barely spell their names, born into broken homes with parents who care more about a handout than their child's education.

Service academies and military academies like VMI and The Citadel are no different. Excellent education, the degree looks great on paper, and the network is just as good as what they have in the Ivy League. My city(and its high school) are a few hours from Lexington and we send kids to VMI all the time over offers from Richmond, JMU, ODU, and others just because of how set up you can be coming out of it and VMI is absolute dogshit at football, too, while those other schools are FCS powers.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Good class by Kirby, all staff turnover and late start considered. OL is still rear end. That's gotta be the target in '17, and Kirby knows it.

Time to coach 'em up.

Also Richt flipped a Tech recruit, haha

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
So Jim Hackett (recently Michigan's Athletic Director) openly accused other schools (I'll go ahead and assume Ole Miss and Clemson) of getting the bagmen out for Rashan Gary.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Jim-Hackett-Rashan-Gary-offered-incentives-during-recruitment-43471333

quote:

Former Michigan interim athletic director Jim Hackett, who made major moves during his 15 months as the leader of the Wolverines, believes Rashan Gary was offered "incentives" during his recruitment but it wasn't enough to ultimately sway his decision.

not shocking to believe it happened, pretty shocking that he would say that

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I don't think that the average high schooler has the grades/intelligence to get into the Ivys. I agree that for most people choosing to go to the best school football-wise is the best option but if you are good enough academically to get into Stanford then it has to be a tough choice between that and pretty much any other school in the nation.

If I had the ability to both play football and get in to Stanford, it should be a no brainer. You get the pedigree of having gone to Stanford with all that might bring if you don't make it in the NFL as well as they are actually pretty good right now, so it isn't like you are playing for a bad team.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

So Jim Hackett (recently Michigan's Athletic Director) openly accused other schools (I'll go ahead and assume Ole Miss and Clemson) of getting the bagmen out for Rashan Gary.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Jim-Hackett-Rashan-Gary-offered-incentives-during-recruitment-43471333

There's just something up there in them hills... :homebrew:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I absolutely believe Clemson has bought recruits. Christ, it was the foundation for their title in the 80s that they got absolutely hammered for by the NCAA. They're SEC without being SEC and everyone they recruit against is dirty so of course they have to do the same.

But like they say, it's not cheating if you don't get caught.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm sure Michigan would never do something like that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

D.N. Nation posted:

Dude even after the coaching change, Hurricane players were telling recruits to not commit. Supposedly that helped push Tyler Byrd to switch to Tennessee

Seriously what the hell is Richt (or the admin) doing to the players down there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just kinda assume every Power 5 school has bag men.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

I absolutely believe Clemson has bought recruits. Christ, it was the foundation for their title in the 80s that they got absolutely hammered for by the NCAA. They're SEC without being SEC and everyone they recruit against is dirty so of course they have to do the same.

But like they say, it's not cheating if you don't get caught.

They've always recruited extraordinarily well for being out in the sticks in a town with nothing to do that no one outside of South Carolina can locate. In fairness, I'm sure that actually does appeal to some prospects on its own, and as far as Dabo goes, there's no denying he's one of the best recruiters in the country. But yeah, Clemson obviously has some excellent bag men in their arsenal as well. poo poo, I'm envious of that, because we clearly either don't have any or they're among the worst bag men in the NCAA.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

vyst posted:

I'm sure Michigan would never do something like that.

I'm pretty sure they don't. They sure used to, and it got the basketball program destroyed, after which they focused almost exclusively on 'playing by the rules'. It's pretty much an open secret that a big part of the reason they don't recruit that well in basketball is because they won't pay AAU coaches.

I suppose football could be different, but I haven't really heard any rumblings about it.

But hey, if everybody does it, it's a completely ineffective approach, so I guess we're all back on a level playing field! That sounds accurate.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't. They sure used to, and it got the basketball program destroyed, after which they focused almost exclusively on 'playing by the rules'. It's pretty much an open secret that a big part of the reason they don't recruit that well in basketball is because they won't pay AAU coaches.

Oh ok then.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah my school is perfect too. It's just those other guys that don't follow the rules.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

THOSE OTHER SCHOOLS ARE BREAKING THE RULES AND TRYING TO BUY RECRUITS ALSO PLEASE DON'T LOOK INTO OUR RECRUITMENT OF HIS OLD HIGH SCHOOL TEAMMATE

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RumbleFish posted:

poo poo, I'm envious of that, because we clearly either don't have any or they're among the worst bag men in the NCAA.

If VT has any, they aren't trying very hard.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

How does Ole Miss keep getting great recruits, and why isn't it translating to conference championships or at least playing in one?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Brown posted:

How does Ole Miss keep getting great recruits, and why isn't it translating to conference championships or at least playing in one?

straight cash and because ole miss sucks

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

John Brown posted:

You can buy recruits. You can't buy wins.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Nur_Neerg posted:

Everyone better do as well as you can now, Texas is coming:

Just wanna point this out from the OP :v:

Also, signing day's officially over, so I'ma revamp the OP for this year's thread. Give me your finest thread titles!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vyst posted:

You can buy recruits. You can't buy wins.

Except Bama, because it pays to be, etc etc

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

John Brown posted:

Ole Miss was a miracle no-look backwards lateral play on 4th down in OT away from playing for the SECCG.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Quandary posted:

Yeah my school is perfect too. It's just those other guys that don't follow the rules.

Sure, every school in the country is paying piles of money for recruits. That's a thing. There's a difference between 'I'm sure Michigan breaks the rules' which I agree, every school does, and 'Michigan, along with every school, pays recruits cash'.

I mean you can just look into NCAA investigations, media reports, and massive smoke from the recruiting trail and see a pretty clear difference between a select few schools and everyone else on this issue.

Alaois posted:

THOSE OTHER SCHOOLS ARE BREAKING THE RULES AND TRYING TO BUY RECRUITS ALSO PLEASE DON'T LOOK INTO OUR RECRUITMENT OF HIS OLD HIGH SCHOOL TEAMMATE

Or go ahead and do so because nothing happened. I've seriously never heard of anyone but you say anything regarding this, even on the internet.

edit: I even googled 'Jabrill Peppers paid to go to Michigan' 'Michigan paying Peppers' and so on and found nothing. Not even message board conspiracy theories. So idk man. You seem really upset about it on a regular basis though.

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 4, 2016

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Good class by Kirby, all staff turnover and late start considered. OL is still rear end. That's gotta be the target in '17, and Kirby knows it.

Time to coach 'em up.

Can't wait to see UT's Dline against that Oline :jackbud:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KKKLIP ART posted:

If I had the ability to both play football and get in to Stanford, it should be a no brainer. You get the pedigree of having gone to Stanford with all that might bring if you don't make it in the NFL as well as they are actually pretty good right now, so it isn't like you are playing for a bad team.

Also I knew a guy who turned down a scholarship to Dartmouth because he didn't want to play soccer anymore.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Just wanna point this out from the OP :v:

Also, signing day's officially over, so I'ma revamp the OP for this year's thread. Give me your finest thread titles!

NCAAF Recruiting Class of 2017: Let them eat cake

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

pillsburysoldier posted:

Dude even after the coaching change, Hurricane players were telling recruits to not commit. Supposedly that helped push Tyler Byrd to switch to Tennessee

Seriously what the hell is Richt (or the admin) doing to the players down there.

Byrd was lying. A bunch of players called him out on it on twitter. It was getting nasty because DMs were leaked showing that he never planned to attend UM, and was trying to screw the school.
Byrd offered to fight a current WR in a parking lot somewhere. The person he claimed told him not to commit was his host, and is one of the players that is most used for recruiting. It was also the person he wanted to fight.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dilber posted:

Byrd was lying. A bunch of players called him out on it on twitter. It was getting nasty because DMs were leaked showing that he never planned to attend UM, and was trying to screw the school.
Byrd offered to fight a current WR in a parking lot somewhere. The person he claimed told him not to commit was his host, and is one of the players that is most used for recruiting. It was also the person he wanted to fight.

Whoa Byrd is a psycho

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

What a bunch of Miami fans did to Byrd on Twitter after the switch was disgusting(tweeting at him, and his GF), and Byrd is a 20 year old kid (that looks 40). He told staff he was coming, and then swapped out the day before. What Byrd did was part of the game, and I hold nothing against him. poo poo happens. It also led to Byrd retweeting a picture of him and his buddy photoshopped onto a brokeback mountain poster which made the whole thing really funny.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Sure, every school in the country is paying piles of money for recruits. That's a thing. There's a difference between 'I'm sure Michigan breaks the rules' which I agree, every school does, and 'Michigan, along with every school, pays recruits cash'.

I mean you can just look into NCAA investigations, media reports, and massive smoke from the recruiting trail and see a pretty clear difference between a select few schools and everyone else on this issue.

Or go ahead and do so because nothing happened. I've seriously never heard of anyone but you say anything regarding this, even on the internet.

edit: I even googled 'Jabrill Peppers paid to go to Michigan' 'Michigan paying Peppers' and so on and found nothing. Not even message board conspiracy theories. So idk man. You seem really upset about it on a regular basis though.

Do you really think there's going to be public information anywhere on the Internet about this poo poo? Why do you think SMU got caught? Because someone talked? Hell no it was because they got sloppy.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm surprised you guys haven't figured out how to handle Michigan fans and their pristine program their fans think they have. Just nod and move on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Northwestern won the Best Football Name recruit.

Jango Glackin.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Northwestern won the Best Football Name recruit.

Jango Glackin.

VT had a pretty good one that got passed by the ESPN all-name list, shamefully. Divine Deablo.

E: Closing this thread, new thread is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763044

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

Also I knew a guy who turned down a scholarship to Dartmouth because he didn't want to play soccer anymore.

I mean that under the assumption that I wanted to also play sports at the college level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Auburn also got Brodarious Hamm, and Tré Threat.

• Locked thread