Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

HooverDam posted:

if the kids are 18, do they need parental signatures on their LOIs? I don't know this particular kids age or situation, just more of a general question.

I believe they require parent/guardian signature all the way to 20/21 on the LOI's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

HooverDam posted:

if the kids are 18, do they need parental signatures on their LOIs? I don't know this particular kids age or situation, just more of a general question.

This question made me go look up how a NLI works, which led me to the official NLI website, and guess what helpful tool they use to answer questions potential student-athletes might have?

If you guessed lovely anime, then come up and claim your prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaGnMves5us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpfZtGVGTJ0
Signing tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRgoaDAos8g

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This completely contradicts another report that contradicts anther report.

Basically every single update has been a different story. First his dad doesn't want him at UF, then it was CeCe who was unsure, some people say he knew about the DL coach leaving yesterday and still committed, some people say he didn't know...

No one knows what is actually going on, but I am almost positive he's still going to UF.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

VDay posted:

This question made me go look up how a NLI works, which led me to the official NLI website, and guess what helpful tool they use to answer questions potential student-athletes might have?

:lol::lol::lol:

This is I'm not even sure what to call this. Like maybe some 10th graders made it? That's wow.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Here's another article written by the same dude rivals article.

The Cece Jefferson situation....by Mike Farrell...

Ok, Leo, CeCe's dad, called me and explained what's going on. I'll put it in bullet points to be as direct as I can....

-- Leo Jefferson is not refusing to sign his son's LOI

-- CeCe himself is not ready to sign and told his father that yesterday after his announcement.

-- Leo said that if CeCe said to sign and fax the letter to Florida, it would be signed and sent right now.

-- The Jefferson's found out that coach Williams was headed to the NFL from other coaches recruiting him because coach McElwain was calling around looking for a defensive line coach for a week. The Florida staff never told the Jeffersons Williams was leaving. They don't know coach Rumph at all.

-- Leo said that the in home visit with coach McElwain was rushed, they stayed for an hour and rushed out the door to see a 2016 prospect and only talked about the new dorms and the new facilities on the visit. The visit paled in comparison to the other in home visits.

-- Leo is a Gators fan he says, CeCe considers Florida his dream school but neither feels good about the staff or the changes at DL coach. Leo's wife doesn't want him to go to Florida and both parents felt CeCe should go away from home to grow up and get away from all the Gators fans in Baker County and his friends that might distract him. But he made it clear that if CeCe wants to go to Florida, they are on board.

-- Leo mentioned some concern about Foley being involved in the firing of assistant coaches and how involved he is in the program and that McElwain won't have the power at Florida that Saban, Freeze, Malzahn, Les Miles and others have at their schools.

-- He wouldn't tell me what school he and his wife preferred for CeCe.

-- He said the coaches at Florida wanted the letter signed by 8:30AM this morning so they could go on vacation. He said the only head coach of all the ones recruiting him that hasn't called as of 1PM ET is McElwain. Coaches from schools CeCe wasn't listing as finalists have all called but Florida has not called him.

-- He said he doesn't need his "rear end kissed" but the staff should have considered being honest with them about the DL coach change and they haven't pursued CeCe nearly as hard as others and he's not sure why.

-- Finally he said "they aren't going on vacation anytime soon because we're not sending that letter".

The end.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
And last I checked it's still not clear that Rumph is even going to Florida. Some recent commits claim they have contacted the coaches and have been told that Rumph is staying, or at least has not accepted the offer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Here's another article written by the same dude rivals article.

The Cece Jefferson situation....by Mike Farrell...

Ok, Leo, CeCe's dad, called me and explained what's going on. I'll put it in bullet points to be as direct as I can....

-- Leo Jefferson is not refusing to sign his son's LOI

-- CeCe himself is not ready to sign and told his father that yesterday after his announcement.

-- Leo said that if CeCe said to sign and fax the letter to Florida, it would be signed and sent right now.

-- The Jefferson's found out that coach Williams was headed to the NFL from other coaches recruiting him because coach McElwain was calling around looking for a defensive line coach for a week. The Florida staff never told the Jeffersons Williams was leaving. They don't know coach Rumph at all.

-- Leo said that the in home visit with coach McElwain was rushed, they stayed for an hour and rushed out the door to see a 2016 prospect and only talked about the new dorms and the new facilities on the visit. The visit paled in comparison to the other in home visits.

-- Leo is a Gators fan he says, CeCe considers Florida his dream school but neither feels good about the staff or the changes at DL coach. Leo's wife doesn't want him to go to Florida and both parents felt CeCe should go away from home to grow up and get away from all the Gators fans in Baker County and his friends that might distract him. But he made it clear that if CeCe wants to go to Florida, they are on board.

-- Leo mentioned some concern about Foley being involved in the firing of assistant coaches and how involved he is in the program and that McElwain won't have the power at Florida that Saban, Freeze, Malzahn, Les Miles and others have at their schools.

-- He wouldn't tell me what school he and his wife preferred for CeCe.

-- He said the coaches at Florida wanted the letter signed by 8:30AM this morning so they could go on vacation. He said the only head coach of all the ones recruiting him that hasn't called as of 1PM ET is McElwain. Coaches from schools CeCe wasn't listing as finalists have all called but Florida has not called him.

-- He said he doesn't need his "rear end kissed" but the staff should have considered being honest with them about the DL coach change and they haven't pursued CeCe nearly as hard as others and he's not sure why.

-- Finally he said "they aren't going on vacation anytime soon because we're not sending that letter".

The end.

recruiting is the dumbest part of college football

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
recruiting is fine

people who live and die by these recruits decisions are the dumbest part of college football

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Regnevelc posted:

recruiting is fine

people who live and die by these recruits decisions are the dumbest part of college football

Its an American tradition to revel in how far down the rabbit hole goes

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Regnevelc posted:

recruiting is fine

And dumbest part of the gene pool.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Raku posted:

I couldn't understand why kids were going to Louisville when they had legitimate offers elsewhere. Do you honestly expect this guy to treat you any better than he did his wife?

Also, who wants to play at 'Papa John's Stadium?'

Amazingly Papa John's Stadium isn't even the stupidest name for a Louisville Stadium. It's miles better than the KFC Yum! Center.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

VDay posted:

This is a mother lode of avatar material :stare:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Amazingly Papa John's Stadium isn't even the stupidest name for a Louisville Stadium. It's miles better than the KFC Yum! Center.

Papa Johns Stadium sounds okay at least

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ehud posted:

That's a strong condemnation coming from a man who has watched hundreds of Jeff Driskel snaps.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Ehud posted:

My favorite part is when a recruit has the idea that they'd like to major in something or other, and someone has to try and sell the kid on that program at their particular football school. I imagine some Ben Stein type professor in a program that turns away tons of qualified applicants, sitting in a room with a 17 year old who could never get in if he didn't play football. I imagine that professor having to pitch the program to the kid, who is disinterested and texting or whatever. I smile when I picture this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Apparently CeCe's dad tweeted that they are "holding out"

lol

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Thermos H Christ posted:

My favorite part is when a recruit has the idea that they'd like to major in something or other, and someone has to try and sell the kid on that program at their particular football school. I imagine some Ben Stein type professor in a program that turns away tons of qualified applicants, sitting in a room with a 17 year old who could never get in if he didn't play football. I imagine that professor having to pitch the program to the kid, who is disinterested and texting or whatever. I smile when I picture this.

Doubt it's anything like that at all. For starters the kids with fairytale majors just get dissuaded along the way once they find out how much work on top of football they actually need to put in and the rare few who still want said major won't be sleeping through the tour anyway. For the rest schools set up meetings with academic advisers and then if you want to tour, say, the business school they have liaisons who know how to sell that stuff to prospective athletes and parents. They're not going to have some random professor who doesn't even go to the games and doesn't know the head coach's name trying to sell someone on a major they don't care about.

This stuff, especially at a P5 level, is crafted down to the last detail. All the people they have now designed to do nothing but maintain and tailor the process to every recruit, it's nuts.

Ehud posted:

lol

That is an exceptionally poor choice of words. His dad has done absolutely nothing to help him out from the start of this mess.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
CeCe should sign with UK imo

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
So what's the deal with NSD? Is it essentially a Hallmark holiday, where it doesn't actually have any technical significance?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

pugnax posted:

So what's the deal with NSD? Is it essentially a Hallmark holiday, where it doesn't actually have any technical significance?

The NLI is some sort of contractually binding agreement that the kid will go to school there. I think if a kid signs an NLI and wants to leave he has to transfer and sit a year?

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

pugnax posted:

Unless they're released, a NLI binds a recruit to a school (they'd have to sit out a year if they went somewhere else) and the school has to give him a scholarship for that year.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

And further, NSD is only the first day recruits can sign NLIs to enroll in the fall; it is not the last. I believe recruits can hold out as long as a school's willing to hold a scholarship for them.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

And further, NSD is only the first day recruits can sign NLIs to enroll in the fall; it is not the last. I believe recruits can hold out as long as a school's willing to hold a scholarship for them.

This is what I wasn't clear on. So the whole hoopla is theatrics for ESPN/fans, which strikes me as sort of odd. You'd think that schools would rather have the hoopla at the /end/ of the signing period rather than the start - give them as much time as possible to woo recruits?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

pugnax posted:

This is what I wasn't clear on. So the whole hoopla is theatrics for ESPN/fans, which strikes me as sort of odd. You'd think that schools would rather have the hoopla at the /end/ of the signing period rather than the start - give them as much time as possible to woo recruits?
They've been wooing these kids for years; they (and most of the recruits) are generally happy to have it over and done ASAP. There are even proposals for an optional early signing period, I believe in the preceding fall.

Don't confuse that with early enrollees -- JUCOs or high school recruits who can graduate a semester early with the necessary credits are allowed to sign and enroll for the spring, getting in a spring practice that the fall class won't have. Schools also like that cause they can, in some circumstances, count those guys against the previous class's incoming scholarship limit if they had leftover slots instead of against the coming class.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

pugnax posted:

It's designed for exactly the opposite. You want these kids in the boat as soon as possible because you're counting on them, often times as immediate contributors, and going all the way to summer camp or even the start of school before actually getting them signed would be a nightmare.

NSD exists to stop schools from ultimately dicking people over in ways even assholes like coaches find pretty scummy. Could you imagine a coach convincing a recruit who is committed to flip to them but not to do it until summer camp?

And the craze for NSD is less than a decade old, the day wasn't conceived with ESPN and the public in mind, people have just latched onto recruiting now as a way to extend the season and have more fun(or sadness) with their team of choice and this is one of the natural results.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Watching Cece change schools after watching Florida fans wring their hands and emerge largely optimistic about being in the top 30 has been very entertaining. If he ends up changing to someone else (especially LSU!) and causes a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst UF fans it will be the best thing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dude789 posted:

Watching Cece change schools after watching Florida fans wring their hands and emerge largely optimistic about being in the top 30 has been very entertaining. If he ends up changing to someone else (especially LSU!) and causes a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst UF fans it will be the best thing.

He just tweeted out that he's still definitely going to UF.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ehud posted:

lol

UF should save its war chest for next year and let Auburn and Ole Miss bid against each other on this.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
LSU fans are really loving bitter for a team that's basically been in the right hands for the last 15 years

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So RB coach Stan Drayton is leaving to coach for the Chicago Bears and Mike Weber seems kind of hurt by it. Even as a Buckeyes fan I think the timing is kind of shady and it sucks to see a kid hurt by it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

LSU fans are really loving bitter for a team that's basically been in the right hands for the last 15 years

:lol:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

If you're the least bit unappreciative about the 2 titles and ridiculous amount of success you've had under Saban and Miles then I hope someone drops you into that stupid tiger's cage.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

So RB coach Stan Drayton is leaving to coach for the Chicago Bears and Mike Weber seems kind of hurt by it. Even as a Buckeyes fan I think the timing is kind of shady and it sucks to see a kid hurt by it.

That sucks, it's extremely uncool for coaches to convince kids to come play for them knowing that they won't be there. That said I'd be lying if there weren't the tiniest bit of schadenfreude I'm feeling as a Michigan fan. :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

If you're the least bit unappreciative about the 2 titles and ridiculous amount of success you've had under Saban and Miles then I hope someone drops you into that stupid tiger's cage.

I appreciate those things and also think that Les Miles can't field a league average offense without NFL talent at every skill position and that makes it pretty tough to win anything meaningful going forward, especially when you share a division with Alabama and Auburn.

I also think he hired a guy with a history of failure at DC to replace a really good DC who was posted by an in conference rival, so we may end up with a bad defense to complement the usual bad offense.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Crotch Bat posted:

Larry Coker could've two-peated with the talent that Saban left behind in Baton Rouge.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Rad Valtar posted:

Yeah I think Coombs was the lead mean on his recruiting, but it still stinks to have the position coach for him leave the day after NSD. I like the idea of an early signing period, but combine into it the ability for commits to break the LOI if their position coach or head coach leaves the school.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Raku posted:

Nope. At least as far as TFF posters are concerned.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 6, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hmm I'm kinda bored, I guess I'll check in on some scout forums and see if there have been any developments with Roqua--

quote:

Real funny. Look, I demand respect

I demand respect as a Georgia fan (UGA is a NATIONAL PROGRAM - currently 1 of 6) Do you TRULY KNOW Georgia football history???

I lift weights (FREE WEIGHTS and not machines) and there is a HUGE difference between the two. I demand respect because of the effort I have to put in to do that. People give me respect.

I doubt you guys understand what I am talking and understand respect because you don't know much about lifting weights and Georgia football. Look up the history of college football and you will see what I am talking about

Welp I'm done.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Rad Valtar posted:

It's really shady. There isn't any way he just got the offer and accepted today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I feel like Miles could be at the point where the LSU fans bitching about him actually see something coming like when the Texas fans started bitching about Mack Brown and the VT fans started bitching about Beamer. He's 62, Chavis is gone now, and on offense they seem to be pedestrian to bad with despite being loaded with talent. It wouldn't shock me if results like 2014 became the norm for them.

That's lovely about Drayton. OSU should let Weber out of his LOI if he asks.

• Locked thread