Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pimpmust posted:

The Japanese still seem to have carrier(s) flying A5M Claude, so the Buffs aren't that terrible in comparison. Doing 1 on 1 with carriers at this stage is pretty drat risky for both sides.

I am starting to crave some updates though :colbert:

That's mostly (probably entirely) the CVL/CVEs, one of the first things I do as the Japanese is strip Zeros out of squadrons that don't need them to upgrade the CVL CAGs. Dunno how it is in the mod, in the normal game you have around 30 spare Zeros and you want around 50-60 for the CVL/CVE flight groups.

e: Hopefully we do get some more updates, PBEM games are fantastic and this mod looks kind of nuts.

uPen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mahler posted:

It'll be a miracle if he gets those battleships out.

The extra American ships are really just Force Z mk. II, they should have been in Surabaya a week ago.

e: Seriously the Phillipines have gone from having Ryujo with a dozen Claudes for air support to having Akagi and Kaga.

uPen fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 16, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

paradigmblue posted:

For another example of what an aggressive Japanese player can do, check out this AAR. It's only January 1942, and the Japanese player already has Borneo and Java in the bag, as well as the entire Eastern coast of Australia as far South as Brisbane (moving South of Brisbane triggers additional Australian reinforcements to appear in Aden) and has started a strategic bombing campaign on Sydney and Melbourne, has captured Ceylon, denying the allied player the critical ports of Colombo and Trincomalee, has broken through in Burma and has cut Rangoon off, and has captured Suva and the Somoan Islands, including Pago Pago.

To be fair, the AI doesn't evacuate troops as much as the allied player did, but the allied player wasn't necessarily wrong to do so - in none of those areas could the allied player actually have made a stand that would not have wound up with destroyed ground units and ships.

Also note this is sce 2 so Japan is stronger and that he completely bypasses the Philippines and ships those divisions to Australia.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pimpmust posted:

Him just hanging back and playing it safe waiting for 1943 or so to roll around would be pretty drat boring.

He's being extremely aggressive, I think it's more a matter of Alikchi knows what he's doing and the allied player can't really do anything to stop the Japanese this early.

E: I mean really, he wants to invade the Kuriles in '42 and he's contesting Rabaul with a carrier. You can't call that playing safe.

uPen fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 26, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pimpmust posted:

Oh, he's *not* hitting and running? Does he still got Buffalos onboard? Because :omarcomin:

Not that I think wildcats would help much at this stage.

Yes he does. Lexington starts with Buffalos (and he's still flying Buffalos.) It's unfortunate because they're playing with PDU on so he could have 'upgraded' all of the Marine squadrons flying Wildcats to Buffalos and used those to fill out Lexington.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I love that Windy's plan re: the Philippines was nearly identical to IRL Britain's about Malaya and came to the same end.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

steinrokkan posted:

So, does the map they are using differentiate between different tile types beyond mountains / plains? I have really hard time discerning swamps, forests, jungles etc. I mean, it looks nicer than the original, but I'm not sure an aesthetic improvement is worth it if it indeed obscures information.

I love the map and if you need more info hit the 1 key to turn on the overlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Scen 2 is tricky as the Japanese. Several airframes use different engines than they do in Scen 1 for some reason and it can be really confusing if you don't notice that going in.

• Locked thread