Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Water? Like in the toilet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Mr. Wookums posted:

Real answer:

American food is historically worse than British, the cold water helps numb your tongue.

Where do people come up with this crap? Or is that :thejoke:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Where do people come up with this crap? Or is that :thejoke:
It's like when you give yourself "the stranger"

Or think about the Matrix food.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
because americans actually replace their rotted teeth so they can't feel anything

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

coldness is a decent indicator of freshness in nature. if it hangs out enough to get warm, it's hung out long enough to accumulate more nasty poo poo

that's a good post, beecher.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXeFPpPJeI

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Volcott posted:

Hot water = why not put a tea bag in it or something.

we're talking about warm water, which is a type of temperature that is between hot and cold

hth

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

Real answer:

American food is historically worse than British, the cold water helps numb your tongue.

what the hell, no

even our lovely food is pretty good compared to the crap british people shove in their gobs

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
british dont even have mouths, just phlegm encrusted slide trays

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Why do Europeans think about / discuss America roughly 1000 times as much as we do them. We drink cold water because you're loving fascinated with us and we know it baffles you and pisses you off, that's why :mad:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm drinking cold water right now

It's good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
wtf, americans don't drink water. true patriots drink ice cold soda slugging down 2Liter gallon bottles down our fat gowly gullets like its heroin

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

I prefer non icecold water cause I'm in the habit of basically pounding an entire glass or bottle at once which is harder when it's frosty. I've known other people who avoid icewater who mentioned something about it hurting digestion but I dunno if there is much truth to that or if it's just a commonly circulated myth.

if you brushed your teeth, cold water would not hurt your mouth

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
there's a pile of brown poo poo at the bottom of your water heater. it's gross.

boiling water takes too much time if there isn't the payoff of coffee/tea at the end of it.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
so they can't taste all the fluoride

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
I like slightly warm water :shrug:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ajkalan posted:

I'm drinking cold water right now

It's good

same

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sexy young infidel posted:

british dont even have mouths, just phlegm encrusted slide trays

i'm going to be ill

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
loving lol why do asians and mid-europeans drink lukewarm water, better question

we sure as gently caress don't drink that poo poo hot up here

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Because why the hell would I drink warm water?

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
i had warm water once and i ended up in a ditch selling my body and addicted to meth.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

this song is really good rippin it to my ipod now

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Skeleton Ape posted:

Why do Europeans think about / discuss America roughly 1000 times as much as we do them. We drink cold water because you're loving fascinated with us and we know it baffles you and pisses you off, that's why :mad:

if the world was a party then america is the guy shouting and loudly making GBS threads his pants in the middle of the room and it's a party you can never leave and the water is all room temperature

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I once encountered a band of Hispanic peasants shingleing a roof who insisted that the water sent up to then be ambient temperature. 'Nuff said.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Because they have cold hearts.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I drink a gallon of ice cold water every morning because it numbs the chronic stomach pains I live with as a result of america.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

loving lol why do asians and mid-europeans drink lukewarm water, better question

we sure as gently caress don't drink that poo poo hot up here

Because the evil American Empire chooses to withhold The Secret of Ice from the rest of the world.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I always drink warm to hot water unless it's a hot day out, it tastes and feels much better. If I'm about to eat, I'll fill up my thermos sipper bottle with warm water, and If I'm about to go to bed, I'll fill it up with really hot water.

I seriously haven't drunk cold water at home in over a decade, except from the tap if I'm too lazy to wait for it to heat up.

People who don't drink warm/hot water ever are just haven't discovered it yet, or can't make decisions for themselves and simply go along with whatever other people tell them, which is that warm water is "weird" simply by virtue of not being cold.

"Hurr derr why would you drink warm water". Cold water on a cold day sounds awful, I can't stand it even of a morning.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Deceitful Penguin posted:

loving lol why do asians drink lukewarm water, better question

it's a chinese medicine thing

quote:

1. Helps preserve and protect the internal organs, and promotes smooth flow of blood circulation. Drinking refrigerated 3 degree Celsius fluid is like putting your organs into a freezer. Cold has the effect of contracting, slowing and shrinking.

In regards to the body, cold blocks the meridian channels, slows and even congeals blood circulation, and diminishes organ functioning to less than optimal ability.

The expression “brain freeze” from drinking cold or iced drinks is a clear example of this principle.

2. Remedies internal cold patterns of disharmony. Drinking cold can lead to an imbalance in internal body temperature.

Clinically, this may lead to internal cold syndrome which may present as: cold hands and feet, Raynaud’s phenomenon, painful menses in women, varicose veins, weak appetite, poor digestion, abdominal pain, bloating, loose stools, weight gain, chronic fatigue, depression, arthritic pain or chronic pain.

While eating hot spicy foods (especially ginger, cumin, cardamom, nutmeg) may sometimes resolve internal cold, drinking sufficient hot water is the simplest remedy. If still not remedied, then tailored TCM treatments are an effective option.

3. Relieves many different types of symptoms. Drinking room temperature or iced water does not properly cool the body when feeling hot, like after eating hot spicy foods. It often only leads to cold interior that pushes internal heat to the body’s surface, or to a pattern of lower cold (in the abdomen) and upper heat (in the chest). Resulting symptoms can include hot chest, headaches, restless sleep, hotness or sweating at night, irritability, thirst, low energy, sluggish digestion, abdominal gas or cramps, and loose stools.

Simply drinking hot water on a regular basis can help relieve many of these symptoms.

4. Saves the body wasted energy. Organs cannot immediately metabolize fluids that are below 37 degree Celsius core body temperature. This includes 22 degrees room temperature water. So the body is forced to work harder, wasting energy in order to make cold drinks warm enough for the body to use. This energy could have been better spent on healing illness, increasing immunity, etc.

5. Controls appetite while simultaneously protecting organ functions and increasing energy level. Drinking cold or room temperature water suppresses appetite because it contracts the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract causing sluggish digestion. It also causes the body to burn more calories than drinking warm because the body has to work harder to maintain its core body temperature. These are often the reasons why many weight loss programs say drinking cold water helps with weight loss.

BUT from a TCM view, the resulting sustained contraction and reduced circulation from drinking cold only damages the digestive organs, leading to weight gain and digestive disorders in the long term.

6. Helps keep organs hydrated and functioning optimally. Dehydration of organs can occur from long-term drinking cold/cool water. As the cold contracts and slows organ functioning, many people unconsciously become averse to drinking water because they drink cold.

Dehydration may not show up however until you start to drink warm or hot after years of drinking cold or room temperature water. Then you may be more thirsty after drinking warm as the internal organs are activated to “wake up” from their cold-induced slumber. Expect thirstiness to last 15-30 days or more.

7. After physical exercise, helps properly balance the body’s external and internal body temperature. Drinking room temperature or iced water after exercise tends to shock the organs and does not aid in helping the body to properly and naturally cool down. This is because during exercise, internal body heat moves to the body’s surface causing sweating and hot exterior sensations, while in fact the interior has become cooler.

So drinking cold aggravates the already-cold interior. Rather, drinking warm is advised (but not so hot that it induces more sweating), so the body’s surface cools down naturally, and the interior organs are protected by the warm fluids.

8. For children with stomachaches or constipation, drinking plenty of warm water is the #1 easiest and healthiest solution.

Coffee, green and black teas do not count. Caffeinated drinks have a diuretic, not a hydrating effect. Boil tap water and drink hot/warm (i.e. do not take warm water directly from the tap). For flavour, add lemon juice and/or honey to hot water, or buy a selection of caffeine-free herbal teas. And when you eat out, don’t be shy to ask for hot water!

In hot, tropical climates, the body’s Qi already flows more superficially than in those living in colder, damper climates. So it is often enough to drink body core temperature or warm (37 – 55 Celsius) as opposed to “hot” (tea temperature closer to 75 degrees).

tl;dr: you drink warm water because it's closest to your body's normal temperature, cold water can throw off your body's balance in various ways

i drink warmish water normally, but cold water is still goddamn delicious

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Wookums posted:

Real answer:

oi gimme a toasty cuppa wi me flibbets n jim jam

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

a cold glass of water after a hot day's work outside is f*cking delicious

europeans don't have warm weather and also don't work so it is pretty obvious why they don't

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

duckfarts posted:

it's a chinese medicine thing

tl;dr: you drink warm water because it's closest to your body's normal temperature, cold water can throw off your body's balance in various ways

i drink warmish water normally, but cold water is still goddamn delicious

That's bullshit. The Chinese drink warm water because of Taoist superstition, the same reason they bake live dogs to death in large ovens (pain makes meat taste better) and torture black bears for their entire lives (bear bile supposedly has magical properties)

The human body produces enough heat to effectively warm any water you drink. Try it. Take a sip of cool water and hold it in your mouth. Within ten seconds it will be warm because that's how thermodynamics works.

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 6, 2015

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Drinking cold water makes you burn more calories. Helps you stay in shape.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Wookums posted:

Real answer:

American food is multinational cuisine with the parasites cooked out of them. You are not supposed to get dysentery after drinking water.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It tastes better cold. Not sure why.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
warm water people also drink piss because its warm and thats what they like, they like drinking piss

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Cold water is refreshing.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
dear all of europe: fill a glass with ice for once in your retard lives

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

dear all of europe: fill a glass with ice for once in your retard lives

they cant, everything is very expensive :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

Drinking cold water makes you burn more calories. Helps you stay in shape.

No evidence of that happening in the USA.

• Locked thread