Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Oh man, that lake background texture has never sat well with me. I'm pretty sure you can see yachts and speedboats sailing around in it. Which completely undercuts later events when there isn't even a high octane speed boat chase sequence at any point when you reach the lake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

ladyboy pancake posted:

Interestingly there's a bit in the top corner that kinda-sorta-almost-but-not-quite resembles the Tetragrammaton (יהוה, the four letters used in Jewish texts as a placeholder for the name of G-d), albeit in a different order with a one-lettter difference. According to Jewish law, the Tetragrammaton isn't to be brought into a place as filthy or unclean as a bathroom so perhaps the they were going for something evoking blasphemy and sacrilege and "wrongness", but altered the image slightly so as not to truly be disrespectful (which I appreciate).

Scrambled religious text in an impure place seems really appropriate for Silent Hill, given the twisted cult stuff the first game had.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OP posted:

NO SPOILERS AT ALL.
Not even in tags! Spoilers and such go in this thread instead, which is all about spoiler discussion! Thanks.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Zeniel posted:

A weak joke hidden in spoiler tags

I think you ruined your joke by hiding it in a thread where everyone is nervous about spoilers.

When I see the lake background image it looks askew. 15 degrees or so.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Edit: crap, I think that might have been considered a spoiler, my bad.

Bored fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 8, 2015

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Goh I shall refrain from terrible jokes in spoiler tag form from now on.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
It's always nice to be able to get in near the beginning of a thread you're interested in. I hope this goes well for you, VoidBurger.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Great to see you doing a SH2 LP! I'd been hoping someone would do one for a while, since I love all the theories that surround this game, as well as all the little atmospheric touches the developers put in I probably didn't notice back when I was playing. Learning about all that and seeing it all being discussed ought to be fun. Good luck with the rest of it!

Incidentally, just a few days ago I discovered my PC copy of Silent Hill 2 tucked away at the back of a bookshelf, having been missing for the past two years. As if I wasn't already tempted enough to reinstall it, this LP might force my hand.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Entering a town through a foggy graveyard and then walking along a narrow road overlooking an abyss is in no way symbolic of anything or foreshadowing things to come.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ok I just finished Voidburger's Silent Hill 1 LP so I guess this is where I should be now. :v:

I really have very little idea why anything happened in the first game after watching it, like I got some of the backstory plot stuff but I also I felt like things were just incidentally happening around Harry and very little he did actually affected anything and he was just kind of there :geno:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ok I just finished Voidburger's Silent Hill 1 LP so I guess this is where I should be now. :v:

I really have very little idea why anything happened in the first game after watching it, like I got some of the backstory plot stuff but I also I felt like things were just incidentally happening around Harry and very little he did actually affected anything and he was just kind of there :geno:
It's because that was kind of the case; the story was more focused on his daughter and Alessa. Harry is just caught in the middle of someone else's nightmare and bumbling about like a concerned dad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He was just there on vacation. Have you seen his daughter? Seven years old, this tall, black hair?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Club beats, consume me. My name is Harry Mason. The heavy bass tones reverberate through my mind, shaking free memories of my daughter and I envision pressing a button simply to call her name. I came here on vacation.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The mouth animations are weirding me out.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Speaking of weird mouth animations, James has a really strange one at the end of the opening cutscene in this update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENor0__hT0Y

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

James' expression when he picks up an item is too goofy to not mention. It always looks like he's about to break down and cry.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I love "What's this symbol at the end of Martin st?" It's a question mark, James.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
In what I played of this game, that leg monster showing up as soon as you get the flashlight was the first moment that truly frightened me rather than just unsettling me. It was long ago so I don't remember my exact reaction but I probably screamed. Speaking of which, how does a monster with four legs and no mouth scream like that?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The worn away stone is a great way to carry the whole unknown creep factor over into text, but I wish we'd had the chance to solve the puzzle on our own. Now I know to expect some straight chillin' in Shrek's swamp before it comes.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

King Christmas posted:

Speaking of which, how does a monster with four legs and no mouth scream like that?

I dunno, maybe. Or something. I could be talking out my rear end. (Or maybe they do?)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Aishlinn posted:

I dunno, maybe. Or something. I could be talking out my rear end. (Or maybe they do?)

I think you're onto something. It's kind of like how a teapot whistles when it's done. They are screaming out of their asses.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I like how the Lying Figures apparently have metal bits in them somewhere. Seeing one of those things scurrying about in real life with those metal grindy-scrapey noises would be pretty unsettling.

More symbolism! The light that guides the way for our hero literally emanates from the heart of his wife. Or at least an effigy of his wife. Of course, that light also reveals gross scary stuff, so does that mean this little quest will uncover some ugly truths at the heart of things? I genuinely don't know.

Those mannequin monsters are hiding corrupted flesh under a veneer of artificial perfection. Maybe the memories of dead wife are a little whitewashed? Or maybe it has to do with whatever illness killed her?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So are the streets still named after horror writers like SH1, or are they just random names?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So are the streets still named after horror writers like SH1, or are they just random names?

The only one that jumped out at me was Harris Street near Happy Burger, a la Thomas Harris, author of Silence of the Lambs (in that case... what's in those burgers? :stonk:)

I don't know about the others, but they're probably all references.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

ladyboy pancake posted:

Interestingly there's a bit in the top corner that kinda-sorta-almost-but-not-quite resembles the Tetragrammaton (יהוה, the four letters used in Jewish texts as a placeholder for the name of G-d), albeit in a different order with a one-lettter difference. According to Jewish law, the Tetragrammaton isn't to be brought into a place as filthy or unclean as a bathroom so perhaps the they were going for something evoking blasphemy and sacrilege and "wrongness", but altered the image slightly so as not to truly be disrespectful (which I appreciate).

Here's a better screenshot. Stolen from a deviantart page in which the user circled his own name in red.

The upper left looks like אקדונק, not that I know what that actually means.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

Here's a better screenshot. Stolen from a deviantart page in which the user circled his own name in red.

The upper left looks like אקדונק, not that I know what that actually means.

It starts with a yod (י). Well hell. Might as well use google autocorrect since that pulls up SH2 discussions on what it says and translations. יאקדונקי

found youtube comments from people who can actually read hebrew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-gzq9tPcs

That's the best I can do. I'm pretty sure we have some Isrealis on this site, but I have no clue if they would be watching a let's play.

Bored fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 14, 2015

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Bored posted:

It starts with a yod (י). Well hell. Might as well use google autocorrect since that pulls up SH2 discussions on what it says and translations. יאקדונקי

Found that referenced here, which has this line about Kabbalist practices: When we answer Amen to a blessing we meditate on "יאקדונקי" (the letter ק replaces the letter ה for obvious reasons)."

Wasn't obvious to me. Replace the letter both times in the word, you make יאקדונקיinto יאהדונהי, which is "Lahdonai," another word for G-d.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

Found that referenced here, which has this line about Kabbalist practices: When we answer Amen to a blessing we meditate on "יאקדונקי" (the letter ק replaces the letter ה for obvious reasons)."

Wasn't obvious to me. Replace the letter both times in the word, you make יאקדונקיinto יאהדונהי, which is "Lahdonai," another word for G-d.

It's another one of the "do not spell out any of the names of god" rules. Like how you just typed out G-d.

I actually saw this article and skipped it because of all of the bullshit numerology poo poo, not realizing that it looks like that's the basis of kaballah.

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 15, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, Kabbalah is all kinds of cool number-based mysticism. Letters have numbers which have meaning which when combined to make other words yield new numbers with new meanings. A page of text might have the base readable message, plus several other encoded messages. Or at least that's the very rough knowledge I have. A lot of the stuff involving numbers in say, the book of Revelation, like 666, or the beast that rises from the sea with seven heads and ten crowns worn on ten horns, comes from similar traditions.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Meis posted:

^^they're supposed to link to imageshack but for some reason SA breaks the links. I just clicked quote to see the real URL then copy-pasted. it's weird.

Just fyi, this is a thing that dates back years. Some internet drama means that there's a word-filter on IS and any links to there get altered.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=608

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Zyijx1sFM

Not-really-a-spoiler: I tried to motion-track a top-hat onto James for that one joke, but the game is too dark/noisy to do it! Bummer~

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
You mentioned that some enemies are harder to kill than average for some unknown reason. Is it that random enemies are stronger or that Armless Fucker in that particular location is always though for no discernible reason?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
How can that silly looking guy be so scary ? :stonk:
My god, he didn't even get to you in that one room that was clearly meant to make you think that he was going to get you, I was on the edge of my seat there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I realize it's just a game and stuff like this happens in games all the time, but it's kind of annoying that James didn't use the pipe to move the keys closer.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I realize it's just a game and stuff like this happens in games all the time, but it's kind of annoying that James didn't use the pipe to move the keys closer.

I didn't even think of that.

...I would never survive silent hill.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Love that gun room. I'm a sucker for locations in games that hint at larger stories you never get to see all of.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm actually playing this game for the first time at the moment (in a claustrophobic room with no lights, on an old-rear end CRT TV of course), and I'm right about at the same spot where the LP is at now. Nifty, this way I get to see stuff I plain missed, like the notes Mr. Roadkill left in the street.

I ended up having to look up how to make the key to Room 202 appear, since I'd completely missed the cutscene with the annoying little kid kicking the other key away.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

So, without anyone spoiling anything, can someone tell me if the "there was a HOLE here" thing ever get explained, or is it just creepy flavour?

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

biosterous posted:

So, without anyone spoiling anything, can someone tell me if the "there was a HOLE here" thing ever get explained, or is it just creepy flavour?

They use the idea again in Silent Hill 4, but i'm not sure if they hit it again in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

biosterous posted:

There was a POST here.

It's gone now.

• Locked thread