Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm really curious why they took all your stuff away and then didn't do anything with it. Why put that restriction on the elevator if all they were going to do with it was what, 3 of the most basic enemy type from the very start of the game?
If I'm not mistaken, I think only the mannequins that are from the beginning of the game. Abstract Daddies are recent, and I don't think there's Lying Figures in this level.

Why get rid of your stuff? Couple of reasons, I think!
1) To make you nervous. You're packing some heat by this late in the game. A shotgun, a rifle. You might be feeling pretty cocky by this point. Getting rid of all of that stuff really makes the basement a genuinely nerve-wracking experience the first time you play it. Removing your flashlight and radio, especially, was really loving scary. They're your standbys, they're not even weapons and they're robbing you of that!
2) What's even more nervewracking is that you can't just "Put All Items On Shelf", you have to do it one-by-one. It really hammers home how naked you are, and really amps up the tension of what you're being forced to do here.
3) I think it's thematically appropriate to do this, make James go fetch this important thing in a risky way. For him to be completely vulnerable so late in the game makes him seem more desperate, in my opinion.
4) The hotel up until that point is pretty much a cakewalk, there aren't a ton of monsters. It's really quiet. It's a good change of pace to be in a very nervous, dark situation with totally different kinds of noise (ie: zero noise from your radio, tons of noise in that one generator room). Keeps you on your toes, mixes up an otherwise fairly quiet and simple level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

VoidBurger posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I think only the mannequins that are from the beginning of the game. Abstract Daddies are recent, and I don't think there's Lying Figures in this level.

Why get rid of your stuff? Couple of reasons, I think!
1) To make you nervous. You're packing some heat by this late in the game. A shotgun, a rifle. You might be feeling pretty cocky by this point. Getting rid of all of that stuff really makes the basement a genuinely nerve-wracking experience the first time you play it. Removing your flashlight and radio, especially, was really loving scary. They're your standbys, they're not even weapons and they're robbing you of that!
2) What's even more nervewracking is that you can't just "Put All Items On Shelf", you have to do it one-by-one. It really hammers home how naked you are, and really amps up the tension of what you're being forced to do here.
3) I think it's thematically appropriate to do this, make James go fetch this important thing in a risky way. For him to be completely vulnerable so late in the game makes him seem more desperate, in my opinion.
4) The hotel up until that point is pretty much a cakewalk, there aren't a ton of monsters. It's really quiet. It's a good change of pace to be in a very nervous, dark situation with totally different kinds of noise (ie: zero noise from your radio, tons of noise in that one generator room). Keeps you on your toes, mixes up an otherwise fairly quiet and simple level.

Right but wasn't there only the one manequin in the basement and then two more that spawned outside the door until you reclaimed your stuff? The rest of the enemies all stayed dead from when you killed them earlier. It set up this really cool tense situation by making you disarm and then the only way you'd have enemies around is if you ran past them already and don't care that they're around. It's a really cool idea but when you got your stuff back so easily it felt hollow because the threat seemed largely imagined.

I dunno, maybe it just felt that way because you knew what you were doing and didn't spend a lot of time wandering around trying to remember where your gear was with missed enemies chasing you around.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

FoolyCharged posted:

The threat seemed largely imagined.
*ding ding ding ding ding!*

That's a thing that the first 4 Silent Hill games did in general... they raise the tension and usually never deliver the jump scare that would abate the tension.

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 29, 2016

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

man im really curious to see where things go from here

as for managing to dodge any spoilers of this game for so many years, it was an active process. I would flee any time i sensed them coming up because i wanted to play the game to experience it first hand, but any chance of playing it now is in the past for me, so this LP is a perfect substitute.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Zyla posted:

man im really curious to see where things go from here

as for managing to dodge any spoilers of this game for so many years, it was an active process. I would flee any time i sensed them coming up because i wanted to play the game to experience it first hand, but any chance of playing it now is in the past for me, so this LP is a perfect substitute.

Same here!

I admit I kept getting more nervous the more health drinks you get: why is the game giving me health drinks after taking away everything? What's coming up? Like a save spot late in a dungeon in old FF-like games, it felt like a warning that something really big was coming.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Posted this in the other thread, but I should also put it here so y'all are informed of WHY THE LAST EPISODE OR TWO OF THIS LET'S PLAY IS TAKING SO GODDAMN LONG WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING VOIDBURGER??

LP news: Everything's hosed up still arghhhh, I'm so sorry!!! If you don't know: moved all my data from one computer to my home-with-my-folks computer so I could finish the last episode while I was visiting family. Well, the following things went horribly wrong:
- I recorded the end cutscene pretty wonky and needed to rerecord it anyway before anything got messed up from the data move, that was already on my plate to begin with.
- I was previously working in Premiere CC and downgraded to Premiere CS6, which caused all sorts of glitches.
- The subtitles weren't linking properly (in that I had to manually link them one-by-one and could not batch-link them for some reason), so that was a huge annoying timesink because it was about a hundred subs or something.
- Upon doing that, the subtitles were invisible for some reason, so I had to manually re-place all the subs back in the timeline one-by-one.
- Copy+Pasting attributes from the glitchy subtitles would glitch up the new ones, so I had to manually re-animate the ones that move around or do anything like that.
- Hey, guess what, after all this hassle, Bob's commentary file was just dead silence after about 4 minutes in. Just corrupted. Almost 1.5 hours of commentary and only the first 4 minutes of it worked. Because all these other video glitches were my first (most obvious) priority and audio was not, I didn't noticed this until very late, so Bob had already cleaned up and deleted the original file (no fault of his though, honestly.)
- I honestly feel like I'm forgetting one or two more things but I'm blanking on them now.

(And this is all happening while I'm juggling visiting family and friends that I haven't seen for a half year! Priorities!)

Long story short, there's only 15 days left of my visit and the amount of work I've managed to get done on this episode is real loving negligible due to these tech problems. I might as well go back to my original files and finish the episode when I get back from my trip, because holy poo poo. I know it's not a Voidburger LP without tech problems near the end, but this is a whole nother level of "what the gently caress, why is this happening." that I thought I prepared for, but had no idea that all this wacky poo poo would happen, even poo poo that's never happened before (like Bob's audio getting corrupted like this!! Has never happened before!)

Again, sincerest apologies for making you guys wait such an unreasonable amount of time for the last couple of videos of this LP :( Eternal thanks for your patience!!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

we love the show but you're more important, when it's done it's done.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Omg what Zyla said. Thank you for letting us know what's going on! Have fun with your family and friends! We'll enjoy more Silent Hill when you get back!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
IT'S THE LAST(ish) EPISODE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bzvHXUpaAs

Now you guys are basically free to watch the Nerd Commentary if you haven't already been doing so! The only spoilers we haven't gotten to yet will be in the bonus vids where we talk over the alternate endings and Maria's sub-scenario, Born From a Wish! Hope everyone had fun and enjoyed one of the most depressing games ever!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Cool, thanks for the hard work Voidburger.

hoonigan_neil
Feb 25, 2014

Awesome! Excellent LP, tremendous effort, thank you so much for seeing it through!... Now on to the spoiler thread! :D

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
You da best, VB.

p.s. Call me for the inevitable Her Story rant video.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Anoia posted:

p.s. Call me for the inevitable Her Story rant video.
Will do! (Eventually....)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
(Haven't watched the nerd commentary video yet; I'll get to it later today.)

As much as I think the voice acting in SH2 is generally rubbish, the performances in the double pyramid-head (all the way) scene were actually not too bad. Which is good, for such an important scene. Oh man, and the (very long) letter you hear read out in Mary's voice; that'd be really tough to do, but her voice actor did a great job there.

I'd forgotten about that part where you hear Mary's voice in the corridor, but oof; I definitely remember it now. That part always hit me hard. I spent some time in and around a children's cancer ward when I was young. Not for me; my younger brother died of Aplastic Anaemia - a long time ago now. What Mary said about the disease and the drugs making her look like a monster - that's not an exaggeration. The things those kids went through... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
So the dialogue you hear from Mary in the long corridor, that's totally her final words before James killed her, wasn't it?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Antistar01 posted:

The things those kids went through... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Man, even though it was a long time ago, condolences for what you and your family went through. :( That sounds loving horrible.

tlarn posted:

So the dialogue you hear from Mary in the long corridor, that's totally her final words before James killed her, wasn't it?
Y'know, I don't think so? My reasoning is this: That hallway conversation sounded like she was still in the hospital (present tense is used with the doctors/hospital making money off her and whatnot), and James is generally thought to have killed her at home, when she was allowed to go home to die (as mentioned in her letter, which I like to believe is real, and really written by her before she went home.)

BUT, that being said, I don't think there's any major evidence AGAINST the idea that it was her final conversation with him...? Maybe someone else has an opinion or can think of something I missed that would confirm/deny such a theory?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

VoidBurger posted:

Man, even though it was a long time ago, condolences for what you and your family went through. :( That sounds loving horrible.

Hey, thanks. I'd forgotten just how much SH2 gets right about the whole "loved one with a mortal illness" deal, especially towards the end of the game. Getting to go home not because they're getting better but because they're expected to die soon is definitely a real thing, too. It makes me wonder if the writer had had some similar experiences.

Being reminded of these parts was a "surprise" for me. I guess that content warning at the start of the video wasn't for nothing!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Yay now I can link the best fan video ever here too!

Great LP VB.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Sorry to bump the thread without those last couple of supplemental videos, but there is other very exciting VoidBurger news I thought some of you may be interested in! I'm in a game! I voice acted the character Aveline (opposite Brad Muir) in 100 Foot Robot Golf, which is out today on PSN! Maybe check it out! Be amazed as I struggle to praise a dog for 20 whole seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJQjvZwvP0
You can hear me groaning at the bad pun at the end of this trailer, even! Wow!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I want that game bad but's only on PS4 and I don't have one. :(

I mean, look at this sick filth:

https://twitter.com/stolenoc/status/785485310243188736

https://twitter.com/jkap/status/785520136765661184

https://twitter.com/TannerLPer/status/785540850369437696

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
HEY! We talked over the alternate endings! There's spoilers in these, but um.... we got to the end of the game, so spoilers sorta don't matter anymore, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEiyiBnKBU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
It's the VERY FINAL UPDATE! The LP is officially over! Thank you all so much for watching!! <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3w4DlSAxb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JXFAI4FWN0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for putting in the effort.

Thoroughly enjoyed the LP, and I'm looking forward to Silent Hill 3.

• Locked thread