Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Greg Hardy's case was completely dismissed because the girl accusing him didn't show, so now I imagine he's one of the top free agent on the market.

I'm pretty sure there will still be hella character concerns, regardless. I'm not saying he did do or didn't do anything, but the fact that the situation happened at all, especially in the scandal filled year of 2014, means he probably isn't going to get AS MUCH interest. I mean, he'll still sign a huge contract and people will pretend he did nothing ever much like they do for Suggs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The idea that you are never allowed to be upset by anything that happens to your team if they have won a lot recently is really really stupid.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

FizFashizzle posted:

Greg Hardy's case was completely dismissed because the girl accusing him didn't show, so now I imagine he's one of the top free agent on the market.

I happen to know a certain team in the NFC South that has been looking for a DE for quite some time. I'm sure Dan Quinn would love to get his hands on a premier pass rusher :getin:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
baby boy can feel any way his widdle heawt desires

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Shath Hole posted:

I happen to know a certain team in the NFC South that has been looking for a DE for quite some time. I'm sure Dan Quinn would love to get his hands on a premier pass rusher :getin:

I think the Falcons would be focusing a little more on OL but that's just me.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

True and Real posted:

I think the Falcons would be focusing a little more on OL but that's just me.

OL is an area they will address but if you think the giant gaping hole in the Falcons roster isn't pass rush you don't know poo poo about them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shath Hole posted:

OL is an area they will address but if you think the giant gaping hole in the Falcons roster isn't pass rush you don't know poo poo about them.

Its easier to talk about what the Falcons don't need than vice versa. QB, WR. Well that was a short list.

Of course they'll still sweep the Bucs this year. :smith:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Shath Hole posted:

I know Abraham left a hole there but I figure turning your offense around would bring the team into a better situation faster since it has better pieces to work with. I didn't mean to offend you.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Falcons fans are testy about their pass rush because not only have they not had one since Patrick Kearney, but they've wasted a fortune trying to address that and have failed every single time.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^ It has been a clinic in poo poo, hasn't it? Jamaal Anderson and Ray Edwards highlighting the amazing moves.

True and Real posted:

I know Abraham left a hole there but I figure turning your offense around would bring the team into a better situation faster since it has better pieces to work with. I didn't mean to offend you.

Turn the offense around? :laffo: I cannot tell if this is a serious post.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Shath Hole posted:

Turn the offense around? :laffo: I cannot tell if this is a serious post.

It is very serious. Your run game is in shambles and Matt Ryan is being flattened far too often because your line is bad.

e: Please knock of the unnecessary hostility, too. I'm not a Falcons fan, this is all based on conversations with my two Falcon fan friends. Again, if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 9, 2015

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

True and Real posted:

It is very serious. Your run game is in shambles and Matt Ryan is being flattened far too often because your line is bad.

e: Please knock of the unnecessary hostility, too. I'm not a Falcons fan, this is all based on conversations with my two Falcon fan friends. Again, if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

Stop being hypersensitive, I'm not even being hostile.

I just find it amusing that your observation of the team is that offense needs to be turned around. The offense is a top 5 offense, the defense is circling dead last for the past couple seasons and you think the offense needs to be turned around?! Mike Tice had the OLine playing great last season and Matt Ryan had much more time then in seasons past.

The run game is terrible because we have trotted out the ghosts of Michael Turner and Steven Jackson for the past few seasons. Freeman and Smith have both shown that the holes are there, but when old and slow running backs can't hit it, the run game struggles.

I'm not saying they don't need to address the OLine, but the huge issue with this team is pass rush and it has been that way for the past several seasons.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The bigger issue was that half of the Falcons O-Line was injured last year, wasn't it?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have to assume his agent put that out there so that he could push his number higher. Unfortunately, unless his number is around $3m, he's not gonna be a Chief.

Sad, but probably true. Gonna be another tough offseason here in KC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

The bigger issue was that half of the Falcons O-Line was injured last year, wasn't it?

They weren't going to be good regardless.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes. They had another horrible rash of injuries last year. Week to week there was a different starting 5.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I know there's no way in hell Suh hits the market but if he does, I hope the Colts drive all of the money to his house.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nail Rat posted:

I know there's no way in hell Suh hits the market but if he does, I hope the Colts drive all of the money to his house.

That seems like the most logical match of team with cap space and a need, yeah.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Why wouldn't he hit the market?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Shath Hole posted:

I just find it amusing that your observation of the team is that offense needs to be turned around. The offense is a top 5 offense, the defense is circling dead last for the past couple seasons and you think the offense needs to be turned around?! Mike Tice had the OLine playing great last season and Matt Ryan had much more time then in seasons past.

The run game is terrible because we have trotted out the ghosts of Michael Turner and Steven Jackson for the past few seasons. Freeman and Smith have both shown that the holes are there, but when old and slow running backs can't hit it, the run game struggles.

I'm not saying they don't need to address the OLine, but the huge issue with this team is pass rush and it has been that way for the past several seasons.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I agree with you about the defense and pass rush (for instance, Yards yielded per drive is usually tightly grouped around a median of 31 - this year, 18 teams had between 30 and 33 y/dr - and Atlanta was waaaaaaay deviant out in dead last at nearly 38 y/dr).

But SJax looked significantly better than Freeman this year. Granted, he's a vet, but he's also 31 and well past his prime. I like Antone though - his bonanza of freak plays on minimal touches to start the season was kind of the most fun thing about the Falcons this year (other than Julio's end-of-season ridiculousness).

Really though Freeman is not the droid you are looking for. I promise.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

That seems like the most logical match of team with cap space and a need, yeah.

Luck and Hilton are both about to need huge contracts though

I guess Indy is in a position where they could massively frontload Suh's contract

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I agree with you about the defense and pass rush (for instance, Yards yielded per drive is usually tightly grouped around a median of 31 - this year, 18 teams had between 30 and 33 y/dr - and Atlanta was waaaaaaay deviant out in dead last at nearly 38 y/dr).

But SJax looked significantly better than Freeman this year. Granted, he's a vet, but he's also 31 and well past his prime. I like Antone though - his bonanza of freak plays on minimal touches to start the season was kind of the most fun thing about the Falcons this year (other than Julio's end-of-season ridiculousness).

SJax showed flashes of his former self, but those seem few and far between. Just going off the eye test, he just looks old and rightfully so. Dude has been the bellcow for 10+ years now, his body is deteriorating. I don't believe Freeman is going to be some franchise RB, but he also kind of showed big play potential and flashed some, so I really don't know what we have in him.

I love Smith though, he is absolutely fun to watch. Reminds me a lot of Jerious Norwood, except he is an excellent special teamer and not as injury prone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

I guess Indy is in a position where they could massively frontload Suh's contract

Sure, but in the very short term they should be taking full advantage of having a top tier QB at a bargain price like Seattle has done the last few years. That's an edge they aren't going to have again anytime soon so they should be going all out to exploit it while they can.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MourningView posted:

Sure, but in the very short term they should be taking full advantage of having a top tier QB at a bargain price like Seattle has done the last few years. That's an edge they aren't going to have again anytime soon so they should be going all out to exploit it while they can.

Do they have cap gymnastics available to them if they decide to do that? There's always some I'm sure but Luck is gonna be drat expensive.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Hand Row posted:

Why wouldn't he hit the market?

I assume the Lions are going to at least try to get him back, but yeah, He's going to ask for too much money and they already have too much wrapped up in Stafford and Calvin. Some team with cap space is going to back up a money truck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Colts have lots of options available to them right now for all the wrong reasons. Yeah, Luck and Hilton will take huge contracts, but.... look at the rest of that roster, they are blessed with lots of cap space because they are cursed with terrible draft picks not worth signing.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Febreeze posted:

I assume the Lions are going to at least try to get him back, but yeah, He's going to ask for too much money and they already have too much wrapped up in Stafford and Calvin. Some team with cap space is going to back up a money truck.

It seems the Lions expect him to come back, they've said as much a couple times. But I'd still put the odds of him returning as worse than a coinflip. If they don't get it done before FA opens I don't see him coming back.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Would that even be a schematic fit for them in a 3-4, or would they switch back to a 4-3 to accommodate him?

Also, that avatar. :stare:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bhsman posted:

Would that even be a schematic fit for them in a 3-4, or would they switch back to a 4-3 to accommodate him?

Also, that avatar. :stare:

He'd be fine as a 3-4 end and most teams running it wind up doing a lot of 4 man fronts anyway.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

GNU Order posted:

Surprisingly not that many more compared to the junk heap we were starting last year. Regardless of whether or not they bring back Paea (I think our rookies are good enough to play NT) you could probably use a bigger body in the middle. Probably no change at DE, not like you could stand up any of those guys to try out OLB (maaaaaybe David Bass, he's probably a bit too slow though). And of course LB is a trash fire, but I think there's talent there and the right coach could salvage that group. Most of them are still only Rookies or one year pro, other than old man DJ Williams

And of course we need starters/depth at safety and depth at corner, and we could use some better tackles (maybe this is the year Kyle Long kicks out). But other than that it's looking good! I mean if you're gonna make the jump to 3-4 you may as well do it when nobody is any good anyway because either way you need better players

I think the best way to patch the team up quickly is to imitate the Cowboys: load up on o-line and try to do just enough on D. If they signed Hudson or Wisniewski to play center and drafted a right tackle early, they could run the ball a shitload, avoid asking Cutler (or whoever's playing QB) to do very much, and hopefully keep whatever patchwork defense they come up with on the sidelines. That might let them be decent next year, then they can throw another offseason at rebuilding the D.

I'm holding out hope for drafting an OLB (Shane Ray? Please God) and re-signing Paea. Fangio's used undersized NTs in the past, and putting Ratliff-Paea-Houston on the d-line, with Young and a #7 pick at OLB, could give us some semblance of a pass rush. They could let McClellin "compete" with Young, and bench him when he loses. Inside linebacker would still probably be a poo poo show for a while, but I think you're right that Bostic and Jones at least have athletic talent. And who knows what they'll do in the secondary: that might take another offseason.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

Part of the reason they stuck with Jackson, despite how done he is, is he's the only back they have that can present the threat of an inside running game. Jaquizz is a really good role player but you can't give him 17-25 carries a game or anything.

I think the Falcons should have ditched it and gone full spread since Antone could take anything to the house, but Mike Smith apparently believed his approach was good enough to work. And to be fair, the Falcons win two more games without some really bizarre gently caress ups and win the playoffs, the shelacking by carolina not withstanding.

What the Falcons should likely do is draft whomever is the best player available on either line. I'm not sure getting younger on the offensive line is really the answer, but there aren't any answers there anyway. They really need jake matthews to not be dogshit.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Suh to the Seahawks rumors getting serious traction per some of my sources down in Renton

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Suh to the Seahawks rumors getting serious traction per some of my sources down in Renton

Those homeless people are notoriously unreliable.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Schwack posted:

Yeah one of them probably has a funny story about his last day in Cleveland last year

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

defiantgiant posted:

I think the best way to patch the team up quickly is to imitate the Cowboys: load up on o-line and try to do just enough on D. If they signed Hudson or Wisniewski to play center and drafted a right tackle early, they could run the ball a shitload, avoid asking Cutler (or whoever's playing QB) to do very much, and hopefully keep whatever patchwork defense they come up with on the sidelines. That might let them be decent next year, then they can throw another offseason at rebuilding the D.

I'm holding out hope for drafting an OLB (Shane Ray? Please God) and re-signing Paea. Fangio's used undersized NTs in the past, and putting Ratliff-Paea-Houston on the d-line, with Young and a #7 pick at OLB, could give us some semblance of a pass rush. They could let McClellin "compete" with Young, and bench him when he loses. Inside linebacker would still probably be a poo poo show for a while, but I think you're right that Bostic and Jones at least have athletic talent. And who knows what they'll do in the secondary: that might take another offseason.

It will be interesting to see the vocabulary that the coaches and GM use going forward, if they consider this year a "rebuilding year" or if they think we're on the cusp of being able to compete still and need the push over the edge. Should influence the draft and FA decisions a fair bit.

I think Jones has looked better the more reps he gets and is unquestionably the best LB on the roster atm, and Bostic still occasionally gets totally loving lost or overruns plays and gets cut back on, but they're Good Enough

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Schwack posted:

just watch

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

You'd better not AAC me on this one!!! RIP AAC

I still dont think Suh is something this FO will do. He can't help but throw the cap into a weird place as far as balance goes. Unless he takes a discount, which he won't/shouldn't do, I have a hard time believing Carroll and Schneider will be interested.

Still goin hard for a guy like Jordan Cameron or Jermaine Gresham. It sure would be nice to keep Miller and one of those guys. Willson could eventually be something decent, but he's obviously not quite there yet. This offense badly needs someone to create mismatches. As good as Doug Baldwin is, he's never gonna use his body to box out DBs. A big bodied guy with reliable hands could really change this offense.

edit: I dont wanna keep postin about posting but AAC disappeared after the Super Bowl. He was talkin mad poo poo and now he won't face the music!!

Schwack fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 10, 2015

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Schwack posted:

You'd better not AAC me on this one!!! RIP AAC

I still dont think Suh is something this FO will do. He can't help but throw the cap into a weird place as far as balance goes. Unless he takes a discount, which he won't/shouldn't do, I have a hard time believing Carroll and Schneider will be interested.

Still goin hard for a guy like Jordan Cameron or Jermaine Gresham. It sure would be nice to keep Miller and one of those guys. Willson could eventually be something decent, but he's obviously not quite there yet. This offense badly needs someone to create mismatches. As good as Doug Baldwin is, he's never gonna use his body to box out DBs. A big bodied guy with reliable hands could really change this offense.

RIP AAC?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

He'd be fine as a 3-4 end and most teams running it wind up doing a lot of 4 man fronts anyway.

if suh would be good in a 3-4 bring him to tennessee so he and casey can to god's work and kill luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

African AIDS Cum, SA's best poster(with all due respect to you).

• Locked thread