Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I keep crawling back to it as well, the fully-voiced story really spoiled me which makes me judge text-box MMOs a lot harsher than I should.
Plus you get to hit stuff with lightsabers, which are infinitely cooler than overly-spiky swords. I also find tanking to be a lot more enjoyable in SWTOR than other games, because I feel like I'm doing more than turning the boss away from the raid/moving out of fire/taunting at x stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

For me it's the story. Far as I can tell I'm the lone Goon on my server (Begeren Colony) and my old guildies dropped the game and never came back, so I'm pretty much playing KOTOR III with 8 different stories. Which I'm advancing more or less simultaneously because why the hell not? I've got my Vanguard, Shadow, Sniper, and Sorceress all through Chapter One, with my Scoundrel more than halfway there. After that it's the Juggernaught, Sentinel, and the Bounty Hunter who's spec I haven't picked yet. Then, I'll start the Chapter Twos...

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Are there any goons on Jedi Covenant?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Are there any goons on Jedi Covenant?

I am on that server - but I got kicked from the guild for inactivity. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone online with the guild tags yet, but we should try to keep an eye out for each other.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

inkmoth posted:

I am on that server - but I got kicked from the guild for inactivity. Unfortunately I haven't seen anyone online with the guild tags yet, but we should try to keep an eye out for each other.

Yeah I think That's No Goon population has dipped a bit in the last month, a lot of us burned out on the expansion and decided to take a break. But there should still be people on here and there. We pretty much had to kick anyone who hadn't played in 2 months weekly to keep at the 500 player cap.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Haha oh man the Bounty Hunter storyline is so refreshing, I have a heart of gold. Just getting off the first planet.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
I want to like this game and to play being someone who bought it at launch, but the whole "decreased xp rate" for preferred just makes me so upset. Leveling seemed to be positively glacial in the 20s at this lower rate last time I played. Perhaps it has changed???

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schneider Heim posted:

Haha oh man the Bounty Hunter storyline is so refreshing, I have a heart of gold. Just getting off the first planet.

Bounty Hunter has a good prologue and chapter 1. The story takes a nosedive after the Great Hunt.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DankRhymer posted:

I want to like this game and to play being someone who bought it at launch, but the whole "decreased xp rate" for preferred just makes me so upset. Leveling seemed to be positively glacial in the 20s at this lower rate last time I played. Perhaps it has changed???

Preferred XP is going to be similar to launch, and easily countered by cheap XP boost potions. You'll just have to do more side quests and bonus missions, which you'd probably want to do your first time through anyway to see the whole story

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I played this game a lot on release and ended up with both a 50 Marauder and a 50 Operative without much to do at the end game except spawn camp in the claustrophobic ice planet pvp arena thing. I disliked Marauder and only really stuck with it to keep up with my friends as they levelled. At the time the Operative had some sort of wicked backstab combo which would wreck face and I think I quit around the time they nerfed it, burnt out on levelling and with nothing to do at the endgame.

I have 3100 odd coins from having the security key, should I just get the ewok and the speeder pack?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

cpaf posted:

I played this game a lot on release and ended up with both a 50 Marauder and a 50 Operative without much to do at the end game except spawn camp in the claustrophobic ice planet pvp arena thing. I disliked Marauder and only really stuck with it to keep up with my friends as they levelled. At the time the Operative had some sort of wicked backstab combo which would wreck face and I think I quit around the time they nerfed it, burnt out on levelling and with nothing to do at the endgame.

I have 3100 odd coins from having the security key, should I just get the ewok and the speeder pack?

I got the ewok; he is every bit as overpowered as the first post implies. I strongly recommend every goon take the murder ewok with them wherever they go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cpaf posted:

Treek and all levels of Rocket Boost are your best purchase

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

inkmoth posted:

I got the ewok; he is every bit as overpowered as the first post implies. I strongly recommend every goon take the murder ewok with them wherever they go.

Take other companions in conversations though as the Ewok has no dialogue or affection gains for quests.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My ancient level 50 from when the game first launched is a Republic Commando :negative: Oh well, time to see what the Bounty Hunter is all about I guess. I'd wear my Founder title as an idiot badge if I hadn't snagged as great a name as "Slaab Bulkhead" (they wouldn't let me make Hobo Fett).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some guy once made a post about this game that I saved. Here it is:

quote:

EA makes a huge deal about how Pay 2 QoL this game is, and how you should totally sub or else you'll have a terrible time. But the truth is it's pretty easy as preferred. By 30 you'll have all those QoL things back, and by 50 you'll have the last few extras back ( Purple equips, Companion outfits, etc. ). You can get them back by buying them off the GTN through ingame credits, and if you plan to have alts, can get account based versions of things that'll apply them to all your alts.

My first character 1-55 managed to unlock every single QoL thing along the way accountwise, and still had enough money at the end for a week of PvP/Space Battles. After going through the Makeb dailies ( it's set up to take you 4-5 days, and 2-3 weeks to "see" everything. ) I had enough money to buy 6-7 PvP passes, and a 4-5 Op passes. For my second character, since I had all the Account upgrades, I just had him grab a whole bunch of exp boosters. All the credits he makes go towards PvP passes.

Since the passes are account wide, as long as you keep leveling up alts/doing dailies, after your first character you should always have access to PvP/Ops at the very least. You can easily make enough credits in a week after level 30 or so to constantly have a PvP pass on hand, and there isn't really anything better to save up credits for.

As long as you are willing to put in even a little bit of work, this game is fairly nice to Preferred players. The only thing I don't have is the faster QT/Fleet Pass, but I just gave Bioware $20 to get the GTN/Mailbox/Vendor/Skill Trainer for my ship, and that solved that issue pretty handily. Oh, and I can't quick respec, but since I play healers/tanks, don't really need to.

On the other hand, if you are F2P you eat a exp penalty, which somewhat ruins that.

e: For the Flashpoint pass. You can run as many Flashpoints as you want, as many times as you want as Preferred. You'll get full exp as well! The only thing that Flashpoint pass "fixes" is that you can only roll on the last bosses loot three times a week. It's all last bosses, so if you are in two different flashpoints both last bosses count to the same pool. On the other hand, it only applies if they drop something you need, and you can roll freely on all other boss loot in the dungeon. I've never had any problems with it, so I've never bought those passes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Cythereal posted:

Bounty Hunter has a good prologue and chapter 1. The story takes a nosedive after the Great Hunt.

Oh no. Wish the Great Hunt was the entire story, but we'll see how it goes.

Is there any benefit to doing Heroic quests? I remember getting roped into one in Korriban but I didn't have that quest then so I ended up helping someone kill a boss. I'm already level 10 so I wonder if the rewards are worth it. (or are there like, achievements?)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some of the most fun I've had in this game is two-manning some really hard heroic areas with a buddy of mine. Gave me some EQ1 vibes.

This game is a lot of fun with friends, but unfortunately I don't think it has a sidekicking option. I love how they do group conversations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there any benefit to doing Heroic quests? I remember getting roped into one in Korriban but I didn't have that quest then so I ended up helping someone kill a boss. I'm already level 10 so I wonder if the rewards are worth it. (or are there like, achievements?)

Basically do heroics if you can, they are a ton of exp, and the way the game was set up at launch you basically had to do them and bonus series to stay on top of the leveling game. Now you don't really have to, you just miss out on some orange frames/lots of exp, but if you exp boosts/are subbed you don't need em anyway.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ahaha oh wow. So I logged onto Ewan-mcgregor for the first time in a long time, and it appears that I've been made the GM of the guild I was in during my absence. Maybe it's because of the name?

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Glad to see this thread get reborn, I just started playing again, and it is a cold and lonesome galaxy when you're bereft of goons. Here's to hoping someone from TNG drags me in.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I clicked the referral link in the OP and created an account and downloaded game, what all benefits does it give for signing up that way and how do I collect them. Ive never played this game before,figured id give it a try. I had 2 things in my mail, a set of pilots clothes and a title reward of some sort.

Edit: Seems despite using the link and creating an account im still free to play and it didnt work.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 8, 2015

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

HiveCommander posted:

Ahaha oh wow. So I logged onto Ewan-mcgregor for the first time in a long time, and it appears that I've been made the GM of the guild I was in during my absence. Maybe it's because of the name?

GMship of a guild goes to whoever logs in first, after a long enough period of time. This is just telling you to check the guild bank for valuables and take everything.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Tim Jong-un posted:

I clicked the referral link in the OP and created an account and downloaded game, what all benefits does it give for signing up that way and how do I collect them. Ive never played this game before,figured id give it a try. I had 2 things in my mail, a set of pilots clothes and a title reward of some sort.

Edit: Seems despite using the link and creating an account im still free to play and it didnt work.

Log out and log back in; if it still shows you as FTP, exit and reopen the client.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Allatum posted:

GMship of a guild goes to whoever logs in first, after a long enough period of time. This is just telling you to check the guild bank for valuables and take everything.
Oh really? I didn't think it would've been handed to me like that since there are a few people that hit lv56, so they must've been playing somewhat recently.
Also, that guild was run by a goon so I'm not going to screw him over in case he does come back to the game. Pubbies are fair game though!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

inkmoth posted:

"SHE" if you don't mind.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ReebTop posted:

Log out and log back in; if it still shows you as FTP, exit and reopen the client.

Still shows me as FTP.

E: I made a second account using the link in the OP using a different email address and same issue, lists me as free to play after ive done everything. Maybe im missing something but it looks like I just click the link then continue on with the stuff it opens and sign up. Am I supposed to be doing anything after ive registered a new account and made a character?

Double E: According to the referral benefits page only previous subscribers get the 7 days then a return to preferred status. New players only get an inventory module and 5 xp modules with no preferred status. If that's the case it wouldnt let me join a guild or anything and with all the unavailable stuff thrown everywhere with it constantly throwing warnings up about only subscribers getting this or that it's very off putting.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 8, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My level 55 has like best in slot raid gear for a 55. Will I steam roll the new 55 - 60 content?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

My level 55 has like best in slot raid gear for a 55. Will I steam roll the new 55 - 60 content?

Gear is a non-issue for the new content, doing the four Forged Alliances flashpoints can be done wearing no gear at all since you have a giant robot that does all the work for you. By the time you're done with those you'll be in close to all 180s. If you were truly in BiS nightmare Dread Fortress/Palace gear, that will be better than anything you get until you start doing the 60 raids.

Rishi and Yavin are easy with just the gear they give you as rewards along the way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schneider Heim posted:

Act 2 is not bad, but it's not really good. Act 3 is where things fall completely apart for most players in the BH story, unfortunately, particularly in the form of your last companion. I, like many BH players, maxed affection with everyone but the last guy and completely ignored him being on the ship.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Act 2 is not bad, but it's not really good. Act 3 is where things fall completely apart for most players in the BH story, unfortunately, particularly in the form of your last companion. I, like many BH players, maxed affection with everyone but the last guy and completely ignored him being on the ship.

I maxed affection with everyone, and did 1000 kills with everyone, because I am an Achievement Whore.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Jesus, I got Treek. That Ewok is a loving murder machine :stare:

Also, Treek is a heroin kolto junkie, always injecting that poo poo even when not necessary.

BattleSausage fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 8, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So hardly anyone is ever on the goon guild on Jedi Covenant Imp side anymore and I get 2-3 messages a day from people who want invites. Can someone give me the ability to invite people to the guild? Is that ok to ask for? I know I'm relatively new to the guild but I think it can be revitalized a bit if we just were better about invites.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I'll be one of those people bugging for an invite soon. I'm gonna try to transfer my characters over, I haven't played since a couple months after release though. In as Hobbez as I try to transfer.

Khako fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 11, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rosalind posted:

So hardly anyone is ever on the goon guild on Jedi Covenant Imp side anymore and I get 2-3 messages a day from people who want invites. Can someone give me the ability to invite people to the guild? Is that ok to ask for? I know I'm relatively new to the guild but I think it can be revitalized a bit if we just were better about invites.

It'd help if you said who "me" is.

Anybody who's still playing frequently, post your character name, and I can throw you invite privileges. When you invite someone, please set a member note with their SA username in it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Nipponophile posted:

Anybody who's still playing frequently, post your character name, and I can throw you invite privileges. When you invite someone, please set a member note with their SA username in it.

Oh duh. Sassic and Sassik I believe are my two characters in the guild.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!
I'm still playing at least a couple times a week with my Sith Jugg, Chupas, and I kept getting invite requests from a couple of people last night as well.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Despite not being able to get preferred from a referral link im enjoying the bounty hunter story so far, just finished the second world on the great hunt. Ill probably finish up the great hunt story before I stop .

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

You can get preferred by spending $5 on anything. Get yourself some cartel coins or subscribe for a month and you'll be preferred from then on.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile posted:

I play on my Jugg Anvir on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It should be probably noted that almost all (maybe all, don't know what Symala is doing) the officers are on break from the game right now. While this affects inviting, it also means that there's plenty of room for a few of you people playing to step up and try and organize some events. I was big on getting Friday drunken raids going, and they were usually pretty fun. I don't expect that you guys are going to be doing the new stuff, but I'm sure there's enough new people who haven't seen the 50 and 55 raids that would actually be up for running them to see the story.

• Locked thread