Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Series DD Funding posted:

We make a moral decision that the child's physical health is more important than the parent's impression of their spiritual health.

So personal beliefs that aren't demonstrated to be true shouldn't be respected, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

You can claim its not as much of a problem, but it IS a problem, and one that directly affects me and people around me.

The only real difference between now and then is that it is now controversial to propose such fundamentalist legislation, whereas then it was not. The problem has not decreased, its just become more public.

Perhaps your issue is not that religion is more overbearing and integrated into american politics than it ever has been, but that it is less so.

If religion were more fully integrated into politics and society in America, you would be less likely to be in a position which takes issue with that.

I would suggest that it may be a symptom of the increasing secularity of American society that you exist, and are so put off by the remaining presence of religious overtones in politics and society.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In the majority of cases, yeah. But if you put up a barrier and say "you can't question someone's unfalsifiable beliefs, it's true to them!" then you're helping to protect people with harmful unfalsifiable beliefs, be they religious or otherwise. To use a more real-world example, how about those who think their children should not receive blood transfusions because they think it goes against god's will?
I think very few people on SA are going to argue that the state doesn't have a right to intervene to protect minors from harm regardless of the circumstances. Nor was I trying to argue that practices that stem from religion are beyond reproach, obviously if a religious group discriminates against gay people or engages in female genital mutilation that deserves criticism just as if a secular one did so. The issue is that what needs to be condemned is usually not metaphysics or scripture, but bad practices. This also requires admitting that some religious practices and groups can be beneficial.

The sooner we stop assuming that because someone is religious or an atheist we know they are a moral or immoral person the better.

What is truly disturbing in contemporary atheism is the rise of thoughts like this:

Who What Now posted:

So personal beliefs that aren't demonstrated to be true shouldn't be respected, thank you.
Any viewpoint that suggests that individuals should be demeaned and belittled for their beliefs is troubling. One of the things I think the founders of the United States handled very well was to allow for religious freedom and to foster an atmosphere of mutual toleration and respect.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 4, 2015

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Oops, meant to edit.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
No, I would say that people who refuse medical treatment for their children because they believe prayer is the only effective cure for their child's curable condition are deserving of contempt - but whether or not that's the best way to reach such people is an entirely other matter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Barlow posted:

Any viewpoint that suggests that individuals should be demeaned and belittled for their beliefs is troubling. One of the things I think the founders of the United States handled very well was to allow for religious freedom and to foster an atmosphere of mutual toleration and respect.

Tolerance, yes, respect, no. I'll never put a gun to people's faces and demand they deconvert, nor will I harass people exiting a church, but I won't respect their beliefs either. Respect is earned.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Barlow posted:

Who What Now posted:

He didn't say the individuals shouldn't be respected. You're being disingenuous.

Or is this a religious thinking thing? Do you think criticizing a person's idea is the same as criticizing the person?

Alexander
Oct 12, 2005

Ad Astra Per Aspera

Barlow posted:

Any viewpoint that suggests that individuals should be demeaned and belittled for their beliefs is troubling.

Then you reject the Bible after all.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Barlow posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure insulting and belittling others for their beliefs was in the playbook of every single one of the founders, and rightly so.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

Alexander posted:

Then you reject the Bible after all.
Are you going to quote verses at me? I've already explained that interpretive communities set practice for believers and that this can lead to new understandings of scriptural text. The communities I've been a part of have accepted the worth and dignity of other faiths as a teaching that is integral to Christian life and the ongoing revelation of scripture. Again, I'd hope all people would treat other faiths with respect.

Chin posted:

He didn't say the individuals shouldn't be respected. You're being disingenuous.

Or is this a religious thinking thing? Do you think criticizing a person's idea is the same as criticizing the person?
If I misunderstood I apologize. Recall the remark was made in connection with the argument the state should take away the children of Christian Scientists if they need critical medical care, so the implication was that beliefs should not be "respected" here meant state intervention into the lives of believers or the removal of religious freedom protections.

If Who What Now was supporting the right to go to an internet forum and criticize religion I may disagree but have only limited concerns. My thought was they were going down the same line of argument that suggests that a Muslim women should be jailed for not removing her hijab or sees Quakers denied jobs for not signing loyalty oaths. Qubec's ban on public employees wearing religious symbols for instance proves that there are people that do want to limit religion in this way, but if this wasn't the kind of thinking Who What Now was endorsing I did not mean to mischaracterize them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Barlow posted:

If Who What Now was supporting the right to go to an internet forum and criticize religion I may disagree but have only limited concerns. My thought was they were going down the same line of argument that suggests that a Muslim women should be jailed for not removing her hijab or sees Quakers denied jobs for not signing loyalty oaths. Qubec's ban on public employees wearing religious symbols for instance proves that there are people that do want to limit religion in this way, but if this wasn't the kind of thinking Who What Now was endorsing I did not mean to mischaracterize them.

What the gently caress?! Jesus, no. I would never do anything like what you're talking about. Seriously, what the gently caress did I say to make you think I would do such a thing?! Christ almighty...

To be clear, while I may not respect individual beliefs, that does not mean I don't respect individuals.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Who What Now posted:

What the gently caress?! Jesus, no. I would never do anything like what you're talking about. Seriously, what the gently caress did I say to make you think I would do such a thing?! Christ almighty...

To be clear, while I may not respect individual beliefs, that does not mean I don't respect individuals.

Hate the sin, love the sinner!

I've never been entirely convinced by that line of reasoning.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Again, recall the context of your remark not "respecting" other traditions was made about state intervention overriding religious beliefs to protect life. While in that case life is certainly a high enough value to justify that intervention in other cases the idea was questionable.

My thought was that legal protections for religious freedom often protect the right to exercise beliefs and require the state to "respect" a persons beliefs as beliefs. The laws like the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and it's state equivalents requires that laws not be made the least burdensome possible to religious practice. This is when that Quaker got fired for not signing a loyalty oath in California the school that fired her hired her back rather than face trial, it is why native Americans are not imprisoned for having eagle feather headdresses or using peyote in religious ceremonies.

If you're fine with religion being specially protected by law than that's positive.

Disinterested posted:

This is true. When my Muslim friends walk down the street in hijab and strangers stare or make demeaning remarks I'm not sure it matters if they are doing it because they disrespect their faith or hate them personally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Hate the sin, legislate against the sinner!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

It's difficult and, personally, not something I think religion is very good at fostering, but it's quite possible to take that attitude.

Though a good proxy for whether someone does take that stance is generally how they go about hating the sin. If you find actions to be abhorrent, the best way to oppose them is seldom to throw a fit and scream about how horrible they are, you can do more damage to a behavior through positively reinforcing actions other than it, or which are in contradiction to it, than you can by getting angry and yelling at/jailing/murdering people who perform the action you hate. If you focus very much on that, it's possible that you are relatively uninterested in the sin other than as a justification for hating the sinner.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Well that statement is very often made in relation to homosexuality by people who quite clearly hate gay people but don't want to say it. But I also think it's splitting hairs, since homosexuality is a fairly intrinsic quality, as is acting on the urges to which it gives rise. To me saying 'I hate the sin but love the sinner' there is drawing an artificial distinction - there you're talking about someone's nature.

But I also don't think some beliefs should give rise to contempt for the person who holds them more generally, however or whosoever they are held - for example, the belief that women are inferior to men.

Plisk
Mar 27, 2007

No one's going to
take me alive.
Time has come to
make things right.

Barlow posted:

Again, recall the context of your remark not "respecting" other traditions was made about state intervention overriding religious beliefs to protect life. While in that case life is certainly a high enough value to justify that intervention in other cases the idea was questionable.

My thought was that legal protections for religious freedom often protect the right to exercise beliefs and require the state to "respect" a persons beliefs as beliefs. The laws like the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and it's state equivalents requires that laws not be made the least burdensome possible to religious practice. This is when that Quaker got fired for not signing a loyalty oath in California the school that fired her hired her back rather than face trial, it is why native Americans are not imprisoned for having eagle feather headdresses or using peyote in religious ceremonies.

If you're fine with religion being specially protected by law than that's positive.

This is true. When my Muslim friends walk down the street in hijab and strangers stare or make demeaning remarks I'm not sure it matters if they are doing it because they disrespect their faith or hate them personally.

I'll go with you on this argument that a Christian baker has the right to say no to bake a cake for a gay couple. I'll go with you on the argument that a secular person has the right to say no to bake a cake with racist slogans on it. This is how the First Amendment must operate.

The argument that you present almost indefinitely boils down to a religious practice violating human rights. Anyone can wear a hijab or swear loyalty to something else, but if a religious practice encourages gay kids to be thrown out of their homes by their Christian parents, then a problem arises.

Encouraging a schizophrenic to stop taking medications (in the case of Scientology, and yes, there is a documented case where this happened) puts a person and his close friends and family at risk. Religion can be the cause of a safety hazard.

To bring it to the Muslim argument, a hijab is fine, and it makes me cringe to think that even a burqa might be okay for anyone who wishes it, but as long as they're adults and willfully want it, then nobody should be able to get in the way of it. THAT is what it means to practice religion.

CONSENT.

But threats forcing a gay kid to love as a straight person or throw him/her out of a safe home is a human rights violation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

Well that statement is very often made in relation to homosexuality by people who quite clearly hate gay people but don't want to say it. But I also think it's splitting hairs, since homosexuality is a fairly intrinsic quality, as is acting on the urges to which it gives rise. To me saying 'I hate the sin but love the sinner' there is drawing an artificial distinction - there you're talking about someone's nature.

But I also don't think some beliefs should give rise to contempt for the person who holds them more generally, however or whosoever they are held - for example, the belief that women are inferior to men.

Strictly speaking people who hate gay people shouldn't, even by their own logic, it's buggery that God apparently dislikes, not homosexuality. Again I think they're just bad at applying their own supposed beliefs in that case. Disliking what someone thinks or even is inclined towards thinking is exceptionally er, anal, even for religions.

Also did you mean to type don't in that second bit? Reads a bit oddly if so.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking that too. Like it was supposed to be a double negative, but the second negative was left off. It reads like hating people for being gay is contemptuous because it's hating them for something innate, but thinking women are inferior is not contemptuous. When the latter, being a woman, is also usually considered to at least involve some innate things in this context.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Disinterested posted:

I hate pedophilia but wish pedophiles to be treated, because I don't hate them (as long as they aren't acting on it).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I would take the stance that hating people is seldom productive, it isn't generally conducive to taking an effective approach to dealing with them, whatever your objective.

Ethics aside, it's not really practical to hate people if you can avoid it. Even if you're trying to kill someone, being cold and calculating about it will probably make you more successful.

There is no person who is well served by hatred of others. Except possibly the person who can profit from other people's hatred and the poor decision making that leads to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 6, 2015

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Can we safely agree that some degree of respectful conduct should be given towards religion? That this applies on a personal level and it would be wrong to yell at Jews who wear yarmulkes in the street or scream "Mohammad was a pedophile" at Muslims, like what's depicted here. That honoring others traditions by joining them for Passover or Christmas dinner might be polite and even enjoyable.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 6, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I hate pedophilia but wish pedophiles to be treated, because I don't hate them (as long as they aren't acting on it).

Yes, but presumabyl that stems in some way from the belief that pedophilia is in some sense innate or thoroughly ingrained in the nature of the people who do it. (It's actually not for large numbers of the people who do it, but that's a different subject for a different day).

OwlFancier posted:

I think the don't is an error, and I don't think I intended to write out a double negative either. Go figure.

OwlFancier posted:

Strictly speaking people who hate gay people shouldn't, even by their own logic, it's buggery that God apparently dislikes, not homosexuality. Again I think they're just bad at applying their own supposed beliefs in that case. Disliking what someone thinks or even is inclined towards thinking is exceptionally er, anal, even for religions.

That logic is exactly what I am talking about, I'm not sure why this is being presented as news. My argument is that it's bullshit. Having gay sex is an intrinsic quality of gay people, (no more or less so than it is for heterosexuals) so it seems to me that 'hate the sin, love the sinner' is pretty universally bullshit. To hate men having sex with men is to hate homosexuals and I think the argument that a separation between sin and sinner can be made in such an instance is absurd. Displacing that question by saying 'men can't be married to men, so all gay sex is unwedded sex' seems to me no better.

Barlow posted:

Can we safely agree that some degree of respectful conduct should be given towards religion? That honoring others traditions by joining them for Passover or Christmas dinner might be polite and even enjoyable.

Yes, obviously. In fact I was making arguments about the intellectual qualities of theology merely a few pages ago. I don't think anyone apart from maybe Vessbot ITT is enough of a fedora tipper to try to ban Christmas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

That logic is exactly what I am talking about, I'm not sure why this is being presented as news. My argument is that it's bullshit. Having gay sex is an intrinsic quality of gay people, (no more or less so than it is for heterosexuals) so it seems to me that 'hate the sin, love the sinner' is pretty universally bullshit. To hate men having sex with men is to hate homosexuals and I think the argument that a separation between sin and sinner can be made in such an instance is absurd. Displacing that question by saying 'men can't be married to men, so all gay sex is unwedded sex' seems to me no better.

I would sort of disagree with that, having sexual impulses doesn't mean you have to act on them, monogamous relationships are dependent on that idea and I don't think they are bullshit. You can certainly argue that there is no productive reason to object to gay sex, but arguing that gay sex (or sex in general) is completely essential to a person's being is not, I think, a very solid position.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I would sort of disagree with that, having sexual impulses doesn't mean you have to act on them, monogamous relationships are dependent on that idea

Monogamous relationships are predicated on individuals only having sex with one person, not never having sex at all.

To make a more minimal case: the desire to have sex with people of the same sex is intrinsic to the nature of gay people. To try to portray condemning those desires, and the acts that often follow, as a mere condemnation of the act of doing something, and not a condemnation of a person, is intellectually dishonest. It is to condemn a person for who and what they are, plain and simple.

In before someone makes a direct comparison between homosexuality and pedophilia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In practice I don't disagree with you, but I do disagree with that line of argumentation, there is a very important and well understood difference between actions and desires, our entire society is founded on the basis of people separating the two, and not doing things simply because we desire it.

That the kind of people who object to homosexual behavior are probably not able to distinguish between homosexuality and homosexual behavior, is not an argument that there can be no distinction between thoughts and inclinations, and the actions which stem from them. Nor is it necessary to make that argument in order to disagree with people who regularly abuse and degrade people based on harmless sexual tendencies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Disinterested posted:

Monogamous relationships are predicated on individuals only having sex with one person, not never having sex at all.

To make a more minimal case: the desire to have sex with people of the same sex is intrinsic to the nature of gay people. To try to portray condemning those desires, and the acts that often follow, as a mere condemnation of the act of doing something, and not a condemnation of a person, is intellectually dishonest. It is to condemn a person for who and what they are, plain and simple.

In before someone makes a direct comparison between homosexuality and pedophilia

There's also an argument to be made that even having homosexual predilections is just as bad as actually acting on them.

Matthew 5:26 posted:

But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

No one here is making this argument, but it a distressingly prevalent one in evangelical circles.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Disinterested posted:

Yes, but presumabyl that stems in some way from the belief that pedophilia is in some sense innate or thoroughly ingrained in the nature of the people who do it. (It's actually not for large numbers of the people who do it, but that's a different subject for a different day).

I wasn't aware of this. What causes pedophilia then? Genuinely curious.

Is it considered more of a fetish? Can fetishes be innate?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I wasn't aware of this. What causes pedophilia then? Genuinely curious.

Is it considered more of a fetish? Can fetishes be innate?

We don't really know, but it doesn't seem to be anything that happens later in life, with the exception of certain traumatic brain injuries.

Also keep in mind that tons of people who molest children are not pedophiles, they're people who choose them as easy targets.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

Who What Now posted:

There's also an argument to be made that even having homosexual predilections is just as bad as actually acting on them.

No one here is making this argument, but it a distressingly prevalent one in evangelical circles.
Homophobic sentiment, while still very real and present, has dropped quite a bit in evangelical circles in the past few years though. Exodus International, the main organization trying to "repair" same-sex attraction shut down in 2013. It may still take a while but we are seeing the start of a generational shift on thinking about GLBT issues among the younger people in the movement, much like how evangelicals came around to Civil Rights in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Barlow posted:

Can we safely agree that some degree of respectful conduct should be given towards religion? That this applies on a personal level and it would be wrong to yell at Jews who wear yarmulkes in the street or scream "Mohammad was a pedophile" at Muslims, like what's depicted here. That honoring others traditions by joining them for Passover or Christmas dinner might be polite and even enjoyable.
No I don't see any reason why religion itself should be respected. People are deserving of respectful conduct. Obviously one should be considerate and recognize when and how to criticize ideas appropriately. I wouldn't ask a person on the street why they think an improbable deity wants them to wear a particular hat for the same reasons I don't ask people with political bumper stickers to elaborate on their views.

Not sure why you bring up traditional meals. How is respecting tradition (which sometimes has obvious social value) an argument for respecting associated religious ideas?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Is your argument that religious belief is also intrinsic to the nature of a religious person?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Is your argument that religious belief is also intrinsic to the nature of a religious person?

No, I don't even suggest this, and I wonder what the purpose of the question is?

It seems to me to be a stupid question. Religious people are defined as people with religious beliefs. So I think your question must be mistakenly phrased.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 7, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also keep in mind that tons of people who molest children are not pedophiles, they're people who choose them as easy targets.

Large numbers of abused children are family members either selected as family members, as fishmech says, or who are being used as part of a broader pattern of abusive behaviour that is not principally motivated by sexual preference. When their family are removed such individuals often do not re-offend (in fact, the recidivism rate for child sexual abuse in general is low, despite the public perception).

For example, people who have no specific sexual preference for children do rape their own children in an attempt to avenge themselves upon their wives. I wish I was joking.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Disinterested posted:

No, I don't even suggest this, and I wonder what the purpose of the question is?

It seems to me to be a stupid question. Religious people are defined as people with religious beliefs. So I think your question must be mistakenly phrased.
I misunderstood what you were saying after you brought up "love the sin, hate the sinner" in response to someone saying they respected individuals rather than their beliefs. Although I don't see why you'd bring up that comparison at all if you don't think it's valid.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

I misunderstood what you were saying after you brought up "love the sin, hate the sinner" in response to someone saying they respected individuals rather than their beliefs. Although I don't see why you'd bring up that comparison at all if you don't think it's valid.

Doing things because of tradition or culture are exactly the same as doing things so your continued existence (or lack thereof) after death will be guaranteed by an infallible Divine Master.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 7, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Chin posted:

Not sure why you bring up traditional meals. How is respecting tradition (which sometimes has obvious social value) an argument for respecting associated religious ideas?

Religion is philosophic/metaphysical tradition.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

Chin posted:

You're going to have to clarify this for me. So you don't object to religious traditions, say Passover, Buddhist meditation, or Navajo rain dances, but you do reject to religious ideas they depict? Are Reconstructionist Jews, who adhere to religious practices out of cultural tradition, acceptable but other kinds of Jews aren't? This sounds kind of Sam Harris' statement that real Buddhists are atheists.

What makes an idea a "religious" idea? Is theism the only idea you object to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Enjoying and valuing traditional rain dances doesn't mean the idea of dancing having a meteorological impact is deserving of respectful conduct.

• Locked thread