Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i feel like truckers are invisible in society when its the most common job pretty much anywhere so its cool to see truckers here talkin trucks

thanks for hauling the things i need!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Daedra posted:

i worked in the office and made all the BOLs for our drivers and other stupid office poo poo but our guys worked 60 hours a week and were home every night, almost all the OTR drivers we contracted seemed to hate life and were super pissed at any amount of waiting due to not making any money at the loading docks

thats what detention charges are for. giving a customer a bill for like 20 grands worth of detention is one of my lifes small joys

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trucking just seems like one of those traps were it pays well contextually, but way to many people get into it thinking they are going to be that oil sands trucker making 100 grand plus a year. I don't knock people for doing it and all, salt of the earth and all that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

EAB posted:

Any of you guys owner operators?

The oil industry is in a death spiral so I might go back over the road as a flatbed owner operator. Probably going to get a Freightliner Cascadia. gently caress the haters, PACCAR products are overrated, I've driven a bunch of both. Cascadia > any PACCAR truck, Detroit Diesel > Cummins SUPSUPSUP

The company I plan to join offers 82% of gross with ur own trailer and 72% using theirs. I'm probably going to go the 72% route because the payments and maintenance of a flatbed trailer will probably cost that 10% anyway plus it will remove the headache of it all. Plus I will be able to switch between flatbed and step deck whenever I'm at a terminal which would be sweet. I plan to take all the short runs with tarps and poo poo, gonna play the rate per mile game to the max.

i feel like 72% is pretty good just from what youve said about it. also not owning your trailer can open up opportunities for drop and hooks and things like that

i saw you mentioned tarps. they arent the same but know what youre getting into if you ever think about hauling conestogas

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Blue Raider posted:

thats what detention charges are for. giving a customer a bill for like 20 grands worth of detention is one of my lifes small joys

I'd done something like that once at a place, they kept loving the dog so I called the main office and said something along the lines of "Hey man, I'm just calling to let you know I've been in the dock for a couple of hours now and this is an LTL load, so that's $75 per 15 minutes for the last three hours and...oh, I'll hold..."

Less than 5 minutes later they had everybody in my trailer throwing poo poo out and someone RAN to my truck to give me my bills.

I wouldn't have called the head off, but I went into the shipping office to see what the gently caress was going on and the bitch behind the counter started acting cunty.

So what did your customer have to say? I've heard of some oversized guys making weeks of detention time when poo poo gets all hosed up, then again, when you are paying large cubic dollars for permits, what's another 10K a week to sit a rig?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Trucking just seems like one of those traps were it pays well contextually, but way to many people get into it thinking they are going to be that oil sands trucker making 100 grand plus a year. I don't knock people for doing it and all, salt of the earth and all that.

a veteran driver going otr can make a really good living but they pretty much have to live their life driving.

just from what ive seen, local drivers make between 14.50 and 18.50 an hour and get 50-60 hour weeks AND get to be home every night. for a trucker thats like having your cake and eating it too.

the catch is that locals often dont have the job security and their hours get cut easily

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'd done something like that once at a place, they kept loving the dog so I called the main office and said something along the lines of "Hey man, I'm just calling to let you know I've been in the dock for a couple of hours now and this is an LTL load, so that's $75 per 15 minutes for the last three hours and...oh, I'll hold..."

Less than 5 minutes later they had everybody in my trailer throwing poo poo out and someone RAN to my truck to give me my bills.

I wouldn't have called the head off, but I went into the shipping office to see what the gently caress was going on and the bitch behind the counter started acting cunty.

So what did your customer have to say? I've heard of some oversized guys making weeks of detention time when poo poo gets all hosed up, then again, when you are paying large cubic dollars for permits, what's another 10K a week to sit a rig?

it was a couple years ago. honestly, the customer was Volkswagen. they got pissed and paid it, and that was nearly the end of us needing to charge them detention. i seem to remember it went 2 months in a row then pretty much disappeared. things dont change overnight with das volkswagen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

driverless trucks would also lead to lot lizard unemployment.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

InterceptorV8 posted:

Now you just talkin' retarded.

Most trucks and engines are in a state of poo poo right now, all this new tech is loving causing problems for everybody. What ever lop of poo poo you buy, make sure the EGR cooler was replaced, DPF cleaned, and it isn't geared wrong. Also make sure they are loving passing the fuel surcharge to you, and not taking a skim off it and the bulk fuel discount.

Hell, the flatbed might be the best investment of the whole deal if they are going to be bullshitting you on rates.

best trucks in our fleet are the mack cxus with the mack mp-series motor

way more forgiving of problems with the emission controls, can run for a decent distance with regen issues before derating... although for some reason they keep having problems with the fuel injectors and the occasional turbo. still, they almost never have to be towed, which is a drat miracle nowadays

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i cant get over how trucks are so lovely. i understand the specific problems they have but still

how are they so lovely. would a big normal gasoline v12 work better? like a 1930 Cadillac engine. i feel like it would

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

i cant get over how trucks are so lovely. i understand the specific problems they have but still

how are they so lovely. would a big normal gasoline v12 work better? like a 1930 Cadillac engine. i feel like it would

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Green Mind posted:

26 year old trucker AMA....

Got a Class A CDL paid for by the government Workforce Investment Act in 2013. My girlfriends dad is a truck driver now, he was a rancher before the drought. We we working a seasonal job as tour guides with Class B licenses and he recommended team driving as a way to save some money.

After a month at Rocky Mountain Truck Driving school in Albuquerque, NM [another topic worth 10,000 words] we got hired with a national company. Had to go out with a random stranger for 3 weeks for "training". Said goodbye to my 23 year old girlfriend and her "trainer", a 300 lb neck bearded Texan with a duck dynasty shirt that reeked of Pall Mall menthol 100's. I met my trainer, a man with a face of leather and eyes permanently squinted from driving 14 hours a day. Three weeks go by, this dude doesn't train me for poo poo and drives on my log book. Has me blow a scale in loving Tennessee because "we gotta get to ver-gen-yer for mah thanksgibbon". Girlfriend and I both survive this time and are assigned a 2014 Frieghtliner. Problem is the truck's in Fontana, CA and we're in Dallas. Company rented a car for us but we also had to drive another new hire, a 37 year old trans woman from Abilene, TX. We got to CA, got in the truck and started rolling.

The pay works as follows: 48 cents per mile, split down the middle. So for 5500 miles in a week we each got paid .24 per mile, regardless of who drove what. In a good week we could clear $1200 and there were bonuses on top. We each got $1000 for surviving the winter and not crashing the rig.

The law is legally 11 hours driving time with a 10 hour break after 14 hours from starting the day. We had e-logs, a weigh station pre pass transponder and a new truck so we basically never got stopped at a scale.

All the company was concerned with was keeping the truck moving. We would always drive on each other's logs. I drove from Sacramento to Nebraska in one stretch once, only stopping for diesel while she slept. We would go from LA to NJ in 3.5 days.

We did this for 10 months before we got burned out as gently caress. I have tons of stories about piss jugs, truck stops, icy roads and other pleasantries of trucker life. So yeah ask me whatever.

why the hell do you think I would care about all those words?

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
:canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3bD37VDNFc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nefarious posted:

i did read em and 48 cents a mile to the truck for a team is well....

he chose poorly

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

Dear lord no.

They just don't make them like they used to is the problem. You do so many improvements to get better mileage and comfort, then you lose that mileage to emissions, so every loving improvement is gone. So everything is make lighter so you can carry more, then they rear end 34 gallons of piss for emissions, a huge DPF, and everything else.

Let's make some noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XG_JfyPdvE

http://youtu.be/-yiIbkcQBzI

That's a 12v71, 12 cylinder, each dispatching 71 cubic inches. (That's 1.2L per hole)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

Screamin' Jimmy and two sticks.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...

Blue Raider posted:

i did read em and 48 cents a mile to the truck for a team is well....

he chose poorly

Wow yeah so many choices, what between Werner at 36 com and Swift at 34. It was 48 for all miles with hazmat endorsement on my CDL and anything over 15,000 in a month was at 70 cpm. Honestly for a team with no experience the company treated us well, gave us a 2014 cascadia with 300 miles on it and a $5,000 signing bonus. Yeah, I'd say I chose well.

Nefarious posted:

Oh gently caress man my bad, I forgot I was writing specifically to you

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Green Mind posted:

Wow yeah so many choices, what between Werner at 36 com and Swift at 34. It was 48 for all miles with hazmat endorsement on my CDL and anything over 15,000 in a month was at 70 cpm. Honestly for a team with no experience the company treated us well, gave us a 2014 cascadia with 300 miles on it and a $5,000 signing bonus. Yeah, I'd say I chose well.

Oh gently caress man my bad, I forgot I was writing specifically to you

buddy i mean i aint hating on your pay or anything but that aint that great. i realize youre some rookie drivers and its really not that bad. its a living

that said id be looking and staying that way. and no poo poo swift wouldnt give you anything

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't drive trucks. I gently caress truck drivers.

Say that five times fast.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...

Blue Raider posted:

buddy i mean i aint hating on your pay or anything but that aint that great. i realize youre some rookie drivers and its really not that bad. its a living

that said id be looking and staying that way. and no poo poo swift wouldnt give you anything

10-4, got a pretty sweet local LTL gig now, hourly pay and no logs is cool. Drove flatbed for a bit too but never got home.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

I wouldn't take a bet that everything is going to be "safer" those sensors aren't 100% yet. I've had them completely miss another truck before in front of me, and also light off when I was all by myself in the middle of nowhere.

What sensors?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

The backbone of this country is the independent truck

The power of the trucker comes from his truck

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Zogo posted:

What sensors?

The ones that say "hey, there is a loving idiot in a honda in front of you"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like driving long distances on like road trips and stuff but only because it's a reprieve from my normal life and it gives me time to think, it's like meditating

I'm trying to like mentally extrapolate what driving, driving, driving 24/7 365 days a year even is and I'm pretty sure if I was doing that I'd go insane

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
i drove otr for three years before getting a couple different local gigs, but most of my otr stories have me making GBS threads in places where poo poo should not be, so.... yeah.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
how much road head have yall got. a lot, right?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Achtane posted:

The power of the trucker comes from his truck

Make a noise like an animal...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zogo posted:

There's plenty of career options in this booming economy:

Food Stamp Recipient
Disabled (SSI)
Prostitute
Prison Inmate
W2 Tax Refund Cheat
Drug Dealer

Food Stamps are going to get gutted by the state legislature, SSI gutted by Congress, you have to have an income to get a tax refund, and drugs will probably be legalized to keep people sedate and not rioting in the streets they no longer have jobs or welfare.

Prostitute might work out until someone makes sexaroid replicants.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

The ones that say "hey, there is a loving idiot in a honda in front of you"

I have faith they'll work out the kinks before they start deploying these things on a grand scale.

Young Freud posted:

Food Stamps are going to get gutted by the state legislature, SSI gutted by Congress, you have to have an income to get a tax refund, and drugs will probably be legalized to keep people sedate and not rioting in the streets they no longer have jobs or welfare.

Prostitute might work out until someone makes sexaroid replicants.

I meant the increasing number of people who are having their W2s stolen with an identity thief cashing in the refund. It seems some are starting to heed the words of that obnoxious "get your billions back America" guy on TV.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like driving long distances on like road trips and stuff but only because it's a reprieve from my normal life and it gives me time to think, it's like meditating

I'm trying to like mentally extrapolate what driving, driving, driving 24/7 365 days a year even is and I'm pretty sure if I was doing that I'd go insane

Solo OTR makes many(most?) people loving insane - something like 60% of new CDL people leave the industry within 1 year of getting their license. People, even antisocial misanthropic bastards need a certain amount of socialization, and long-haul truckers tend to get very little of it.

I can't tell you the number of times I've been at fuel island or scales and some other driver will strike up a conversation and just end up talking [i] at[/] me for ten minutes while I'm trying to edge away back to the safety of my sleeper cocoon. The loneliness is really hard on people - I even noticed it and I'm the archetypical shut-in goon.

And teams is even harder to get used to - between trying to sleep at weird hours in a moving vehicle and never EVER stopping, it's something only a few people can get used to.

As for the question of why new drivers drive mostly OTR, it's an insurance thing. Insurance is a huge cost for companies and most carriers won't insure new drivers 'til they get a year or two of driving under their belt. However, the big OTR carriers are self-insured, and will take newbies because they can pay 'em a pittance and make money even if they get in a few minor accidents. Once you get a couple years in with a good safety history, you can apply to local jobs and specialty stuff that pays better and has better hours.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Part of the reason big companies can pay a pittance is because they get federal subsidies for every person going through a training program, so they have incentive to use up as many new drivers as possible and treat them like trash so they quit before they end up on a higher pay grade.

I had two different trainers. The first one was some religious guy from tennessee who had a paper sign on the dashboard that said "let go of the bad thoughts, believe the money will come and you will prosper..." who played guitar and also he watched action animes at night on dvds. Then he went home because a sister-in-law died and I got stuck with a young guy who read drudge, was angry all the time and reached over while I was driving to honk at someone, and drove to a place while I was sleeping with a flat tire.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rodatose posted:

I saw a husband wife team that wasn't just the two of them in the cab, but also five dogs(!!!!!) as well inside of the truck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASmWEsDmTY
I saw a husband and wife who were enormous, 400 and 300 pounds easily, and they had a Great Pyrenees with them in their truck. That poor dog, stuck in a truck all day when he wants to run around in fields and guard sheep. Most dogs I see are smaller dogs and the occasional pit bull. I've only seen a guy with cats once.

hackbunny posted:

iirc they're limited to a big trailer and a small trailer:

or three small trailers:

Sometimes you can find 'turnpike doubles' which are two 53' trailers. I stopped at a rest area on the Kansas Turnpike and there was a UPS driver pulling 2 53's with a single drive axle day cab. :staredog:

EAB posted:

Any of you guys owner operators?

The oil industry is in a death spiral so I might go back over the road as a flatbed owner operator. Probably going to get a Freightliner Cascadia. gently caress the haters, PACCAR products are overrated, I've driven a bunch of both. Cascadia > any PACCAR truck, Detroit Diesel > Cummins SUPSUPSUP

The company I plan to join offers 82% of gross with ur own trailer and 72% using theirs. I'm probably going to go the 72% route because the payments and maintenance of a flatbed trailer will probably cost that 10% anyway plus it will remove the headache of it all. Plus I will be able to switch between flatbed and step deck whenever I'm at a terminal which would be sweet. I plan to take all the short runs with tarps and poo poo, gonna play the rate per mile game to the max.
There's a trucker thread in AI if you want to know more, but I love my Cascadia with the automatic transmission.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 10, 2015

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
i'm surprised that more truckers don't have a mental breakdown and drive their truck into oncoming traffic. for a job that's so emotionally demanding, you don't really have guys freak out too much.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blue Raider posted:

speaking of fuel economy, I will always maintain that limiting trucks to anything below 75 wastes a ton of money because they have to pull to maintain a safe and reasonable speed

what does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
That youtube clip with the guy and the five dogs changed me.

• Locked thread