Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
My younger sister is going to be a cop and work in a jail or a prison or something. She's afraid that one day, some random inmate will be released, want to meet her at home, and find out where she lives by looking her up on a site kind of like this one: http://flvoters.com/

She wanted to know if there was any way to not be included on such sites, but I'm going to be like, that's public data, your address is going to be public forever, which isn't helpful, so I'd like to show her statistics to point out that such a thing basically never happens so she has nothing to worry about.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Cops don't work in jails OP

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

EB Nulshit posted:

My younger sister is going to be a cop and work in a jail or a prison or something. She's afraid that one day, some random inmate will be released, want to meet her at home, and find out where she lives by looking her up on a site kind of like this one: http://flvoters.com/

She wanted to know if there was any way to not be included on such sites, but I'm going to be like, that's public data, your address is going to be public forever, which isn't helpful, so I'd like to show her statistics to point out that such a thing basically never happens so she has nothing to worry about.

Any ideas?

If she is in fact in Florida, that site links to a form she can fill out to request that the state government keep her address confidential if she belongs to an eligible group. Police and correctional officers are both eligible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

sexy young infidel posted:

Sometimes after you graduate police academy you have to do 2ish years as a CO before being given an actual police job in the sheriff's department or whatever.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Tell her she will so she doesn't waste her life on any of those stupid jobs.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008
Tell your sister they can find her no matter what and if she's this paranoid she should't go into the field because she is going to kill someone in a blind panic.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
There is a reason cops are always on duty, and that even when off the clock they carry their sidearms.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
My sister is a prison officer. We've had two different released convicts, on different occasions, show up to my parent's house with a bunch of stalking.

EDIT: This is a joke post. My sister is doing fine as a prison officer and we've experienced no stalking. That said, you are not going to get reliable evidence from the internet to confirm/deny prison-officer stalking, it's completely anecdotal from people from all different parts of the world which experiences unique social and institutional problems.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 6, 2015

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, your sis might want to reconsider being a cop if she's this paranoid / scared. It wouldn't be safe for her or her community, even with the best intentions.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

your sister's joining the largest and most brutal gang on earth, and she's worried about this?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Maybe get her to post on a cop forum and ask them whats up but they`ll probably just say it can happen from time to time, just blow the guys head off with your sidearm when he breaks into your house and you`ll never have to deal with him again! Easy.

Actually I think its a somewhat legitimate concern tbh but theres nothing you can say or do to ensure every single person she ever arrests stays away from her after release. Its up to her to reconcile the anxiety for herself. Part of being in law enforcement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean I'd think it would be tougher to get over the anxiety that you might cross paths with someone on any given day that wants to murder you just because you're wearing the uniform. People tracking me down specifically by looking up my address would be a secondary concern.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Statistically, it's safer than being a bartender.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfoi_rates_2013hb.pdf

Don't know if that helps at all.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Megaspel posted:

My sister is a prison officer. We've had two different released convicts, on different occasions, show up to my parent's house with a bunch of stalking.

drat, I was gonna come in here to post about how unlikely someone stalking her would be.

That really surprises me.

One thing that might help her: For one, Florida is a big state. I don't know where the prison she plans to work is but just because it's in one part of the state doesn't mean the inmates are from that area. Most of the time inmates don't like anywhere near the actual prison so it's not like she's gonna run into them at the grocery store.

Most people probably know me from my prison thread, so I have a little experience.

My advice to her would to be a huge bitch to the inmates. Nothing good ever comes from women COs being friendly with inmates. Even if they're just polite it turns into 50 inmates constantly following the female CO around trying to flirt/bullshit with her. I've seen a couple new female COs do this and within a few weeks they got so fuckin' sick of the inmates they stopped being friendly. I can't see any inmates even having a desire to see the female COs. Most inmates consider the females to be "ratchet rear end bitches" or whatnot.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
shes a cop - she can kill whoever the gently caress she wants. Whats the worry?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell her that she's right to be afraid because it's totally a thing that can happen, and she should be ready to deal with that situation

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

sexy young infidel posted:

At our county jail the CO's are the sheriff's deputies.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Jst0rm posted:

shes a cop - she can kill whoever the gently caress she wants. Whats the worry?

She's in Florida, she can kill whoever the gently caress she wants.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

She's going to get murdered

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Maybe she will meet an OK dude who just got sent to prison for bullshit reasons? v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, she basically has carte blanche to kill anyone at any time for any reason, provided there are no cameras around. Someone with a criminal record wouldn't even be investigated. In fact, she should just kill all the prisoners as they're released, just to be safe. She may have to suffocate some while they're still inside so that she can cover her tracks.

• Locked thread