Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:respek:

But waah plot holes" b/c they ask questions instead of spoon feeding answers, and characters who are "dumb" b/c they're not beeb boop genre aware robots amirite?

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I liked the cinematography in prometheus.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i watched ravenous because a bunch of ppl that are prob in here said it was good so this thread can go gently caress itself

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Son in Law and Encino Man.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I know that Hellboy II got poo poo on by a LOT of people, mainly because "Nazis are awesome! Elves are for FAGS!" but I don't see a legitimately good reason for anyone who likes the first movie to not like the second aside from the way-too-telegraphed climax ender. GDT hasn't let me down yet.

EDIT: I really have to see Detention. I keep seeing so many recommendations for this movie!

Gallow fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 8, 2015

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

gently caress, double post.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

this is actually good? I have it but i haven't watched it yet.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

:respek:

But waah plot holes" b/c they ask questions instead of spoon feeding answers, and characters who are "dumb" b/c they're not beeb boop genre aware robots amirite?

They have a dude who's job it is to plot maps. He has a map on his arm.

He proceeds to huff nitrous, get lost anyway, and encourage someone to grab at a hissing, growling, obviously pissed the gently caress off alien.

Prometheus had characters that were duuuuuuuumb.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Coming to America

barbershop dudes were the best

" Yeah, I met Dr. Martin Luther King in 1962 in Memphis, Tennessee. I walkin' down the street minding my own business, just walking on. Feelin' good. I walk around the corner, a man walk up, hit me in my chest, right. I fall on the ground, right. And I look up and it's Dr. Martin Luther King. I said 'Dr. King?' and he said 'Ooops, I thought you were some body else.'"

"Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano the minute he was 76 years old. Joe Louis was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis?' You know what Frank told me, he said "Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Independence Day. Yes, it's cheesy, it rips off every other sci fi film ever made, and has plot holes you could park the mothership in. I don't care. I love it.

I like the second and third Matrix movies, too. I... oh.. oh god... I also like Stargate.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 8, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Fonzarelli posted:

this is actually good? I have it but i haven't watched it yet.

you're going to either love it or hate it

there is no middle ground

it's also on Netflix

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

The gong show movie

Not that great but I loved that show as a kid

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

Lufiron posted:

Coming to America

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Coming to America, the whole film is comedy gold

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

Lufiron posted:

Coming to America

barbershop dudes were the best

" Yeah, I met Dr. Martin Luther King in 1962 in Memphis, Tennessee. I walkin' down the street minding my own business, just walking on. Feelin' good. I walk around the corner, a man walk up, hit me in my chest, right. I fall on the ground, right. And I look up and it's Dr. Martin Luther King. I said 'Dr. King?' and he said 'Ooops, I thought you were some body else.'"

"Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano the minute he was 76 years old. Joe Louis was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis?' You know what Frank told me, he said "Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!"

Most people I have come across consider this movie a classic, so you're definitely not a social pariah! I saw on eBay a while back you could get framed Zamundan currency and I was SO tempted to get it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Everybody likes coming to america

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

Waterworld rules, gently caress the haters. The prop/costume/set design is excellent, and the soundtrack rules. Dennis Hopper chewing scenery as the villain rules.

I like Apollo 18. I'm a sucker for found footage movies, and that one goes to great lengths to make it seem like your actually watching declassified 1970s NASA archival footage and the effect is great.

How'd they get the footage?! All the footage was on the spaceship that got wrecked in space, how'd the footage make it back to earth? Doesn't make sense

Charles Bronson
Sep 16, 2010

Seymour Butts posted:

Son in Law and Encino Man.

This. And Bio Dome.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

see above re. "so bad it's good" movies that are actually boring as gently caress

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Toys

Such a well designed movie, its unreal

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sleeveless posted:

you're going to either love it or hate it

there is no middle ground

I think I hated it, but I'm not sure. And a fair warning to anyone about to watch it, it will make you feel old.

I don't know what it is, but I like this movie. And it's not even "good" it's just so bizarre and fascinating to watch, like why was it made? Who was it made for?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

inokichi posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Coming to America, the whole film is comedy gold

Most people don't really complain they just think it's stupid. Me and my brother in law love that movie but my wife and the rest of my in laws look at us like we're retarded quoting and laughing about it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
gently caress the haters, I enjoyed Man of Steel. It was shot beautifully and had great music. The fight scenes were awesome, too :colbert:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Blazing Ownager posted:

They have a dude who's job it is to plot maps. He has a map on his arm.

He proceeds to huff nitrous, get lost anyway, and encourage someone to grab at a hissing, growling, obviously pissed the gently caress off alien.

Prometheus had characters that were duuuuuuuumb.

so

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

gently caress the haters, I enjoyed Man of Steel. It was shot beautifully and had great music. The fight scenes were awesome, too :colbert:

the krypton bits were silly but i liked the rest of it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, how could I forget Every Which Way But Loose?

how

And its sequel, Any Which Way you Can!

I genuinely like the movies, even though I know they're not exactly cinematic masterpieces.

client
Aug 19, 2010

observe and report owns incredibly hard but almost every person I know really hates it

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

i must have watched that 50 times as a kid, it was my star wars

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Clipperton posted:

i must have watched that 50 times as a kid, it was my star wars

The four hour TV edition with the loads of extra footage is the best one. That was aired so much in late 80s.

The movie is pretty amazing actually.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I like Ravenous a lot, the music is so weird and I dunno that environment of like post-Civil War era or whenever the hell it takes place is sweet.

Ginger Snaps, but I think a lot of people like that?

But the ultimate lovely movie I loving love for some reason is Jaws: the Revenge and I have literally zero idea why I love it.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know what it is, but I like this movie. And it's not even "good" it's just so bizarre and fascinating to watch, like why was it made? Who was it made for?

Short history: Barry Levinson (Good Morning Vietnam, Rain Man) wanted Toys to be his debut into the film industry and had been writing the script for 10 years, but nobody was willing to fund a dark comedy at the time, especially a satirical war movie during the Cold War. After he made two big hits, Fox funded the movie with 40 million, and it was a colossal failure critically and at the box office. It was the kind of movie where the writer worked on a pet project so long he lost focus, I think.

One of the reasons its so fun to watch is that the cast is really good, and the cinematography was done by Ferdinando Scarfiotti, a phenomenal art director. The music of the movie also stars some big names.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8jy51Aqdrk

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I loved Dune, Nothing But Trouble and Waterworld.

But Toys? gently caress that garbage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So many good things about Toys; the set, the art direction, the cast (Robin Williams and Robin Wright! LL Cool J was actually good! Michael Gambon! Joan Cusack! Jamie Foxx and Debi Mazar (:swoon:)!

Great soundtrack with Thomas Dolby and Tori Amos! The jokes/toy puns were all fantastic as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I loved the part where in order to create a distraction they produced a Talking Heads-esque music video totally on-the-fly.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q72CEcCoCMQ

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

It's the most hokiest yet imaginative movie I've ever seen made. The huge orchestra number of the forbidden, non-piano playing musicians locked in the dungeon is worth the watch alone.

Also this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVRxzvkJao&t=14s

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

client posted:

observe and report owns incredibly hard but almost every person I know really hates it

Agreed. From the complaints I've heard about it, I think a lot of people are morons who are afraid of being surprised by a movie.

I think the Deuce Bigalow movies are hilarious. They're so unapologetically low-brow that they're bordering on surreal.

• Locked thread