Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

davecrazy posted:

They changed it all a year or two ago. The whole system is much better. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd post more details. Do some googling and you'll find info from 13 or 14 about how they fixed it.

oldskool posted:

Baserunning greatly improved with 13 (and there's a slider for CPU pickoffs you can turn down, which I always do), bu that's the last one I played & the manager goals & progression poo poo was still in that version. I think goals & progression changed for the better in 14 and improved again for 15.

That's really interesting, because after googling, I find people saying that they have to "hold back" during a possible pitch because the game still cheats on pickoff attempts. Are they just being dumb?

That was really the most maddening part of RTTS in 10 after you were established and the manager was broken because there was nothing more to improve. I got so tired of trying to baserun because you couldn't even really steal because of all the damned pickoff bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I would say the game doesn't cheat on the pickoffs any more, but holding back still prevents getting picked off 100% of the time so there's really no reason not to use it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

oldskool posted:

I would say the game doesn't cheat on the pickoffs any more, but holding back still prevents getting picked off 100% of the time so there's really no reason not to use it.

Gotcha.

Preordered

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Remember last year when the PSN digital version of The Show wasn't available to download until 24 hours after release day? That's not going to happen again, right? :ohdear:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

The Piper posted:

Remember last year when the PSN digital version of The Show wasn't available to download until 24 hours after release day? That's not going to happen again, right? :ohdear:

I don't know about "day of" purchases, but according to the literature, digital pre-orders will actually DL (pre-load supported) on the 30th.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Piper posted:

Digital preloading became a thing right after last year's release, so it should be fine this year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it says preloading will be available sunday or monday, thankfully they have that pretty much implemented in most every digital release.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Anyone interested in my controller skin code once I get it from GameStop? $10 at Amazon seems fair. I got one last year and it's holding up well still.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How does the ps4 region locking work? I want this game, but I'm in Australia and I'm pretty sure an AU version doesn't exist. If I was to buy it from the US or EU, would I still be able to buy stubs and stuff like that?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

screaden posted:

How does the ps4 region locking work? I want this game, but I'm in Australia and I'm pretty sure an AU version doesn't exist. If I was to buy it from the US or EU, would I still be able to buy stubs and stuff like that?

Isn't Australia part of the EU region?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
PS4 is region free, no?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Australia is considered PAL for the PS4, so you're fine. PS4 is actually region free for everything other than DLC anyways, so it's basically a moot point.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like a portion of the pre-loading has begun. Just turned on my console to notice that 15' was pinned next to "What's New". 4.29Gb downloading now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Looks like a portion of the pre-loading has begun. Just turned on my console to notice that 15' was pinned next to "What's New". 4.29Gb downloading now.

It's the whole thing, the download is just like if you buy it after launch so that 4.29 gig is what you'd download to be able to start playing right away while the rest downloads (for most sports games it's just being able to play a game between 2 big names forever until the download is done). After that's done hit the options button on the game icon and go to information and it should have the full download size vs how much has been downloaded.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

davecrazy posted:

PS4 is region free, no?

For games yes. If you want your DLC to work, however, no.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

For games yes. If you want your DLC to work, however, no.

This is what I wanted clarification on. I know you can buy games from wherever. We bought all our rock band stuff from the U.S. on ps3, but had to make a fake psn id and then buy those prepaid credit things on line in order to buy the dlc songs because of it, and I'd like to avoid having to do that poo poo again.

Although I checked last night and the show 14 is up on the Australian psn so I'm assuming 15 will be too once it hits the release date, so none of this will probably matter(hopefully).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

screaden posted:

This is what I wanted clarification on. I know you can buy games from wherever. We bought all our rock band stuff from the U.S. on ps3, but had to make a fake psn id and then buy those prepaid credit things on line in order to buy the dlc songs because of it, and I'd like to avoid having to do that poo poo again.

Although I checked last night and the show 14 is up on the Australian psn so I'm assuming 15 will be too once it hits the release date, so none of this will probably matter(hopefully).

From the link earlier, it implied that if you buy the US version, you'll need a US PSN and poo poo to buy and install the DLC on.

I have no idea whether that would then work with DLC on your AUS account on the same PS4 though.

Here's hoping that MLB15 is available at launch for you making this moot.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's the whole thing, the download is just like if you buy it after launch so that 4.29 gig is what you'd download to be able to start playing right away while the rest downloads (for most sports games it's just being able to play a game between 2 big names forever until the download is done). After that's done hit the options button on the game icon and go to information and it should have the full download size vs how much has been downloaded.

Looks like it's just DL'ing the whole thing. The 4.29 GB file downloaded & installed. There's a small update file that's ready to install, and now another file that's 36.081 GB downloading in the background.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I never per-ordered a game before, so I don't know if this is normal. I am looking at the downloads, and it downloaded the game and a patch (which I installed). I do not see any of the themes or any indication that I should be getting a bunch of coins or whatever.

ANyone else?

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 30, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The themes are kinda hidden, go to where the show's icon is, press down until you hit additional content and there they are.

The stubs and such come when you first play, it's an account flag not a patch.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm afraid to try it because of Sony justice, but has anyone tried putting their PS4 time ahead to unlock the game? Or does it do an authentication check anyway?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The themes are kinda hidden, go to where the show's icon is, press down until you hit additional content and there they are.

The stubs and such come when you first play, it's an account flag not a patch.

Ah. Thanks. Of course the Yankee Stadium theme has the stupid strip TVs right along where the menu is, rendering it damned near unreadable. Oh well, I'll end up switching it to whatever team my RTTS guy gets picked up by. MY IMMERSION. Back in MLB10, I was drafted by the Twins in the new Target field and had way more fun than I thought I would. ESPECIALLY when we beat the Yankees, who didn't recognize my greatness and traded me when I was on the Thunder.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 30, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
11 hours to go.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Soundtrack for this year again appears to be hot garbage based off of internet sleuthing!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Whos up for dingers at 12:01 eastern?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to buy it right now on the web store at work and it says my debit card is invalid and won't let me preorder it.

:sony:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I don't know about y'all, but I for one cannot wait to try out playing online with a friend only to give up after the third inning because we're both pitching perfect games due to the ball randomly freezing/lagging mid-pitch.

Dubious posted:

Soundtrack for this year again appears to be hot garbage based off of internet sleuthing!

So like pretty much any loving sports game full of lovely indie music and a few crappy rap songs. I think the last MVP game (2005?) was the last time there was a good sountrack to a baseball game. That Madden where half the music was from NFL films was pretty great too (10?)

It sucks that PS4 can't play loving MP3s. I loved having custom music and poo poo and it gave it a really cool effect of being "played" through stadium speakers.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 30, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

I don't know about y'all, but I for one cannot wait to try out playing online with a friend only to give up after the third inning because we're both pitching perfect games due to the ball randomly freezing/lagging mid-pitch.

The MLB The Show experience!!!!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I wonder how many weeks we need to wait this year in the Eurozone before this comes out.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Dubious posted:

Kinda' funny that Spotify drops on the same day as '15.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Spotify is out now.

I have to work all day until I can play tomorrow. Can't wait to make my Braves halfway competent.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Is there going to be a online goon league?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I cant wait to serve up a ton of dingers because I am Not Good at consistent pitching!

Paperback Writer posted:

Don't hold your breath if they didn't make any improvements. Half the games never record and the stats get all hosed up and nobody sticks around because the online franchise is horrible.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Paperback Writer posted:

Every year we've tried and every year it's been a disaster due to one crippling bug or another in the league management end. Last year users would play games and they simply wouldn't register as being played and stats weren't recording.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I read an article this morning that this game will feature players half rear end dogging it to first base on sure outs :v:

~The David Ortiz Experience~

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Anybody besides me getting the Vita version?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've still been having a lot of fun in 14 turning the Phillies into an absurd pitching-centric team so I think I'll pass on this one. I won 115 games in 2014, traded Ryan Howard for a bag of baseballs (to the Nats :laugh:), Utley and Dom Brown both nearly won the batting title, Cole Hamels never had a loss and he threw a no-hitter in game 1 of the NLDS against the friggin' Dodgers. If only it was real... :sigh:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Anybody besides me getting the Vita version?

yes because it's the superior RTTS version. Unless they dramatically fixed PS4 loading times this year.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

axeil posted:

I've still been having a lot of fun in 14 turning the Phillies into an absurd pitching-centric team so I think I'll pass on this one. I won 115 games in 2014, traded Ryan Howard for a bag of baseballs (to the Nats :laugh:), Utley and Dom Brown both nearly won the batting title, Cole Hamels never had a loss and he threw a no-hitter in game 1 of the NLDS against the friggin' Dodgers. If only it was real... :sigh:

If it's for other reasons than keeping your game going, that's cool, but you can import that game into 15. You should keep an eye on streams, etc. to see if the new gameplay entices you because the big new feature is definitely the continuation of save games from year to year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm figuring I'd be able to port from '14 to '16, so I'll probably skip '15 and hopefully in two years in online won't blow and the game will keep taking steps forward.

Unless all of those things happen this year, in which case, I'll probably get it, but I'll wait until I get some reports about how the game actually plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MagicCube posted:

If it's for other reasons than keeping your game going, that's cool, but you can import that game into 15. You should keep an eye on streams, etc. to see if the new gameplay entices you because the big new feature is definitely the continuation of save games from year to year.

Well the save import feature is pretty cool but I'm not really sure what 15 is adding that isn't already in 14. I still only have a PS3 so I won't even get all the fancy new graphical stuff.

I just wanna mash dingers, laugh as the Nationals have Ryan Howard ride the bench for the rest of his career and get Utley and Hamels in the Hall of Fame.

If I can't port to '16 from '14 though that would be some bullshit and make me pretty sad.

• Locked thread