Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
(For context) :v:

The U.S. women's soccer team has a couple World Cup matches in Winnipeg in June, and since 1) None of us have spent much/any time north of the border and 2) it's a 9.5-hour straightshot north for us from Omaha, we figured why the hell not. We plan to spend a couple days in the city, then head out to enjoy a provincial park (Whiteshell? Camp Morton?*).

We found a clean-looking, well-reviewed hotel on the west side of town at a very good price, so that's taken care of. Not thrilled about the distance from Investors Group Field (where the game is) or downtown (where I presume the decent bars, food etc. are), but we'll manage.

Anyway, here's a few questions:

1. Winnipeg has a reputation for being unsafe/prone to car thefts. Regardless of whether that's exaggerated, could someone point out some areas on a map that we should avoid, just for good measure?
2. We're three guys in our early 30s who like good beer and good food — any recommendations as to neighborhoods or specific places?
3. Is there anything like that down near Investors Group Field/the U. of Manitoba?
4. * Any suggestions for places to go/see within a couple hours of the city, or any insight on those two places?

Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Real Name Grover posted:

(For context) :v:

The U.S. women's soccer team has a couple World Cup matches in Winnipeg in June, and since 1) None of us have spent much/any time north of the border and 2) it's a 9.5-hour straightshot north for us from Omaha, we figured why the hell not. We plan to spend a couple days in the city, then head out to enjoy a provincial park (Whiteshell? Camp Morton?*).

We found a clean-looking, well-reviewed hotel on the west side of town at a very good price, so that's taken care of. Not thrilled about the distance from Investors Group Field (where the game is) or downtown (where I presume the decent bars, food etc. are), but we'll manage.

Anyway, here's a few questions:

1. Winnipeg has a reputation for being unsafe/prone to car thefts. Regardless of whether that's exaggerated, could someone point out some areas on a map that we should avoid, just for good measure?
2. We're three guys in our early 30s who like good beer and good food — any recommendations as to neighborhoods or specific places?
3. Is there anything like that down near Investors Group Field/the U. of Manitoba?
4. * Any suggestions for places to go/see within a couple hours of the city, or any insight on those two places?

Thanks goons.

I'll get it started I guess. I haven't been to Winnipeg in a few years, so I'll avoid any too-specific recommendations.

Winnipeg is a pretty sprawling city. Why build "up" when you can build out, right? It's geographical area is extremely big given the population, so lots of the good things are spread around. There are quite a few different centres.

That being said, the "North End" is pretty rough. It's one of the roughest areas I've seen in Canada. The only area which I've visited that immediately comes to mind as worse is East Hastings in Vancouver, and my instinct tells me that's worse only because the weather shuts down the streets in Winnipeg for part of the year.

It's relatively easy to identify "The North End" - it is literally the wrong side of the tracks. Sorry that I don't have better marks on the map, but you can see the big railyard. That's the marker:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Po...e28f1d6e6dd849c

I've highlighted Portage and Main and the exchange district for you there. Try to avoid going too far north from there, at least after dark, if you don't know your specific destination. I would strongly suggest that you avoid choosing Main Street, north of the tracks as a destination for any heavy drinking. It does get better after you keep going, but vOv. There are some sweet rear end pawn shops around there.

The highlighted area, however, is a pretty sweet area. It's the urban, downtown bohemian part of the city, in which you'll find music, cafes, and what not, in or near it. The architecture in that zone is neat, too. Lots of well-preserved old limestone buildings. Near there is "The Forks," which is where the Red and Assiniboine rivers meet. It's something of a tourist/entertainment area. Lots of shops, stalls, and poo poo. I'm sure that you guys can find a kick-rear end restaurant or ten in that general Portage & Main area.

Within a couple hours of the city you can easily hit up Winnipeg Beach/Grand Beach. Unfortunately most of my parkland knowledge is in on the other side of the province, but MB's provincial parks are pretty good. If you like the outdoors, go for it. I hear good things about West Hawk Lake.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
All of that is pretty helpful — thanks! Yeah, I can't imagine we'd need to go north of downtown anyway. Good to know.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Osborne Village is an area of Winnipeg a bit south of the exchange district (just over the river) that's pretty dense with bars and places to eat. You could spend a night there going in to the bars and restaurants and poo poo.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Os...4a0435f50a1f275

Basically starts there and goes south on Osborne for a bit. I don't think there's too much down at IG Field, given it's way out in the south end of the city. Might be a couple university bars?
http://www.tourismwinnipeg.com/visitors/neighbourhoods/osborne-village

It's also close to Corydon & little Italy, more bars and restaurants there too.
http://www.tourismwinnipeg.com/visitors/neighbourhoods/corydon-avenue

Plus being in the west end, you'll be able to catch buses that take you straight down portage ave to the exchange district. Also, from the west end the exchange/osborne village areas aren't far at all. I'm pretty much as far west as you can get and driving down to the exchange/osborne takes about 20 - 25 minutes maybe (bit less depending on how the loving traffic lights want to sync).

Exchange/Osborne/Corydon (little Italy) are all pretty close to each other too:
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Port...2d49.873356!3e0

And yeah, the north end is the bad area, but you won't have any reason to go there and it's fine during the day.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 8, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
That's all very helpful, too. Thanks!

Any insight on the cab system? Looks like Lyft/Uber have yet to make their way into Canada.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

I don't take cabs much but I just call whatever cab service isn't busy (Unicity, Duffy's, Spring, etc). If it's a busy night, which I guess the World Cup will be (?), it can be a really long wait. You could always take the bus. From the furthest west in the city to downtown (where the aforementioned exchange district/Osborne/Corydon is) is about 40 minutes, then I assume a transfer to another bus down to the stadium. Which area of the west part of the city are you going to be staying?

The city website actually has a trip planner for the bus, just put start and stop point and they'll tell you which buses to take and how long it'll take:
winnipegtransit.com/navigo

e: Oh yeah, I think there's a number you can text to get a cab? Not sure if there's a fee for the text.
e: Maybe this is it? http://www.poundtaxi.com/howitworks

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 16, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
We're staying out near the interchange of Perimeter Highway (100?) and Roblin Blvd. Everything closer to downtown (or the airport, for that matter) was close to CAD $200/night; we're paying less than half of that, and the place looks clean and has good reviews.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Yeah, shouldn't be hard to get a bus to downtown (Osborne/Corydon) from there as Academy (one street north of Roblin just a little bit east) goes through Corydon/Little Italy and ends at Osborne. Not very close to the stadium though. I'm pretty much just across the river from where you're staying and there should be a bunch of buses to choose from.

There's also a small bar/club right in that area too (The Dale/Thirsty Lion) at Dale Blvd and Roblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Bumping my thread to ask if anyone reading this has been to Whiteshell Provincial Park. Since we'd be there on a weekend and sites are in big demand in mid-June (from what I've read), we went ahead and reserved a campsite on Nutimik Lake.

Suggestions for hikes, activities, bars welcome.

• Locked thread