Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Click the picture to go to the respective post)

Latest Updates

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

---The Thread and the LPs---

Portable Cows: The Farming Adventures of the DIO clan!
Both of these LPs have character and animal names suggested and voted on by goons in the thread.
Commentary alternates between solo and the occasional guest. Guests are noted beneath the video link in bold.

Spoiler Policy: Keep story points or secrets in spoiler tags. There's not much about these stories that's surprising or anything, but let's just be safe.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
If at first you don't succeed, try again several years later on a different system. Hero of Leaf Valley is a PSP remake of Save the Homeland from the PS2. It improves on every aspect of the original (more to do, more to grow, more people to meet, romance is brought back, the overall process is faster if you know what you're doing), but the fact that it was on the PSP presents its own set of hardware-related problems. Good luck figuring out how to navigate a full coop of chickens. If you can do that, though, you might find a surprisingly creative entry in the Harvest Moon franchise.

The story is such:
Our protagonist, IT WAS I DIO, returns to his late grandfather's farm in Leaf Valley, a quiet farming village with only two years left before the Funland Company tears it down to make an amusement park. In the process of looking the farm over, DIO meets the Harvest Sprites and the Harvest Goddess, who task him with saving the town and stopping Funland. With the help of the inhabitants and an empty farm, DIO must find a way to bring enough money or exposure to Leaf Valley to make destruction nonviable, but the CEO of Funland and her two wacky lackies won't just let him win...

:siren:HoLV Soundtrack, uploaded courtesy of HarvestMoonOtaku.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with Word on the Wind

with Mugiwara Yoshi

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with Word on the Wind

with Word on the Wind

with Word on the Wind

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

No commentary

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

Year 3+ Music:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One-Off Harvest Moon Streams
Note: These are only of the 3D games. For the 2D game streams, see the Tale of Two Towns LP, or see the entire playlist here.

[img]http://lpix.org/1969886/Harvest Moon 3D A New Beginning [First Look].png[/img]

(By Douloug, Tumblr)
"Oscillating Octopus"

(By peachteadreams, Hitbox)
"Jacquie - Animal Parade character"

"Cute Dirt 1"

(By SomethingNoticeable, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 2"

(By NullBlack)
"Cute Dirt 3"

(By Smiling-Squirrel, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 4"

(By Green-Guy, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 5"

(By yoloswaginator, Hitbox)
"Cute Dirt 6"

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 15, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
A unique DS (we don't talk about the 3DS version) installment in the HM series, Tale of Two Towns does more things I wish other HM games did. There is more freedom of movement throughout the world, choosing to live in a livestock or crop-centric farm allows you to change up your playstyle, and the game doesn't take nearly as long to pick up as previous entries (looking at you, Harvest Moon DS). It's not perfect though: the issue of repetition once again rears its ugly head in the franchise, and the plot of the story is as stupid and infuriating as any in the series, but ToTT still manages to hold its own as an interesting if flawed gem.

The story is such:
A long time ago, two towns sitting on opposite sides of a great mountain lived in harmony and friendly competition, traveling freely to each other via a long tunnel. Then one day the two mayors had an argument, and the Harvest Goddess had a pissy fit and cut the tunnel off. Fast-forward to the present day: Dio, a young farming hopeful travels to the two towns to set up a life of her own. However the Harvest Goddess has finally decided to fix her mistake, but by making Dio do it instead. Join Dio as she cows her heart out in Bluebell and eventually helps her idiot mayors to get along again.

:siren:ToTT Soundtrack, uploaded courtesy of otomesounds.

with BigTUnit1

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

with an-artist-complex

One-Off Harvest Moon Streams
Note: These are only of the 2D games. For the 3D game streams, see the Hero of Leaf Valley LP, or see the entire playlist here.

(By SomethingNoticeable, Hitbox)
"TheStrawhatNO! Pixel Art"

(By oddballcreativekid, Tumblr)
"TacoTheGhost - Stardew Valley character"

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 15, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
(Reserved just in case)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Knowing next to nothing about virtual farming, I'll just suggest picking the Harvest Goddess because I want to see how that works out.

KaineWraith
Oct 30, 2011
I always thought that Harvest Moon was one of those games that would be impossible to LP, so I am looking forward to seeing how you do. As for my choices:

You had me at rich, choose Dia
You could use some help around the farm so choose Ash
For your horses, there are only two names Agro and Epona
You've done plenty of Zelda LPs so name your livestock after Zelda NPCs
Lastly, for your dog get the one with the red ribbon and name him Wei

KaineWraith fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 8, 2015

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Ah The ongoing war of UnJapan and Not Europe. I loved the hell outta tott.

As for a bride go with Gywn she seems cool.
As for animals i always name mine after whatever food is made from 'em. Nugget, Sandwich, Lemon etc.

edit: You need to be holding the treat and GIFT them to the animal. Chucking em is no good.
Oh and I vote for Cam. Flower husband.

McGwee fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 8, 2015

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Gotta admit that IT WAS I DIO was funnier than I thought it would be. Also all the bachelorettes look creepily young in their sprites in HoLF, but Dia looks like the best option.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
For IT WAS I DIO:
Go after Lyla , tame the floppy ear beagle and name him Jojo.

As for animals, I would have all the different animals assigned to one letter, like all the cows would start with "B", and the chickens would start with "H" or something when I played the gamecube version years ago.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Wooo another StrawhatNO LP.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Only the Harvest Goddess will suit the great IT WAS I DIO.

Chickens should all be names after various fruits.
Horses should be names after famous starships.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
I always name my chickens after other avians,: Duck, Goose, Swan, etc.

Cows I tend to name large-sounding things that start with B. The often default Bess, Boom, Ballista, etc.

I actually have Save the Homeland from back when it was the most recent release. Did one ending, was sick of it.

The original Harvest Moon was my first, though I didn't get into it until emulation. I've played a smattering of them, most recent purchase was Magical Melody which I also wasn't thrilled with. The ones I've clocked the most time are the original, GBC HM3 and More Friends of Mineral Town. I also have spent a bunch of time on Rune Factory 4. I'm probably gonna grab Story of Seasons when it hits release.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Oh my god that little tanuki fellow is so cute I can't even handle it :3:

Also, you can really woo the harvest goddess herself in that game? Don't the spouses normally move into your hose with you? So will the harvest goddess really move out of her spring and into your home with you? That's a rather hilarious mental image

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Wasn't there a related game where you play as a shapeshifting sheep monster?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Clearly It Was I Dio should win the heart of the Harvest Goddess and you should get the red bandanna dog

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chimera-gui posted:

Wasn't there a related game where you play as a shapeshifting sheep monster?

That was probably Rune Factory 3, which is the rpg spinoff series of Harvest Moon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

mycot posted:

That was probably Rune Factory 3, which is the rpg spinoff series of Harvest Moon.

Yeah I looked it up and it was Micah from RF3 that I was thinking of.

Seconding the vote for Harvest Goddess as well.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Definitely woo the Harvest Goddess. Undermine her godly power with traditional gender roles!

Also, you should go for both dogs. How dare the game ask you to choose?

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I am surprisingly really enjoying this informative VLP of Best Farming "Simulation" Series Ever Game PSP Version Deluxe Ultra Plus.

The last Harvest I played was Rune Factory 3, and it really had the problem of the bachelorettes looking way too young. Oh well, I think a couple looked adultish.

I vote for Gwen because animal people are good people, also she looks like an adult, always a plus in the later Harvest Moon games. I was thinking of voting for Lyla since I woo'd the flower girl in the original Harvest Moon, but as you said, she's one of those people.

Gonna vote for RedBlue Bandana dog too, call him Gin so he can protect you from bearsBandana Dee just because.

Chicken - Eggman, Cow - Milkman, Horse - Lucky

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 8, 2015

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
As a note, the movement mechanics for Tale of Two Towns, as well as things like the bug-catching (not the hand-fishing, though it did have something similar) are re-used from Grand Bazaar. Now, maybe because I played a lot of that game, and wasn't super-impressed, or maybe because ToTT's cast didn't really impress me too much, but I bought the game and never really did much with it. Maybe I'll correct it during this LP! (Then again, I seem to remember scenes for Cam and Ash that I definitely saw. Am I blending ToTT together with Grand Bazaar in my head or something?)
Given, like I said, I was never super-impressed by ToTT's cast, I'm going to hold my judgement until after introduction. Maybe a good choice will be apparent to me then.

Name your livestock for characters in other Harvest Moon Games. Ideally, the opposite game from the one you're naming the livestock in (So, name Hero of Leaf Valley animals for Tale of Two Towns characters, and vise-versa, until you run out; then switch to other games.)

And for Hero of Leaf Valley... I'm going to vote for one of the characters we haven't met yet, if that's alright. Aurelia, because I support characters who aren't repeats. Also, she seemed most interesting to me in my playing of HoLV, cut tragically short by my screen suddenly losing backgrounds and characters and things like that, leaving me talking to invisible people in a white void.
Red Dog... Call it Danny. TRADITION! Tradition!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I was tempted to vote for the harvest goddess, because she's a goddess, but I think I like Gwen more, she seems nice!

And get the pointy-eared dog, it looks adorable

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mehuyael posted:

I was thinking of voting for Lyla since I woo'd the flower girl in the original Harvest Moon, but as you said, she's one of those people.

All that meant was she's one of those eyes-permanently-closed characters.

E: Note that both HoLV and ToTT have only one horse (for most of the game) when offering suggestions. Livestock name suggestions will be more-or-less shared between the LPs.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 8, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

All that meant was she's one of those eyes-permanently-closed characters.

That's also what I meant. 'Don't marry'er 'til you see the whites in 'er eyes,' Gramps used to say!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Why would IT WAS I DIO settle for any mortal woman when divinity is avaliable. He will woo the Harvest Goddess

Also Pointy-Eared Dog since floppy eared dogs are the staple of the series and it's nice to have another option.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Don't settle for anyone less than the Harvest Goddess.

D3m3 posted:

Name your livestock for characters in other Harvest Moon Games. Ideally, the opposite game from the one you're naming the livestock in (So, name Hero of Leaf Valley animals for Tale of Two Towns characters, and vise-versa, until you run out; then switch to other games.)

Also, the pointy-eared dog.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Aim high! Woo the Harvest Goddess!

The horse should be called BoJack.

The pointy-eared dog should be named Colfax

The chicken should be Perdue

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
IT WAS I DIO will settle for no less than the Harvest Goddess

And we must get the Floppy Ear Dog solely because it was the first dog in Harvest Moon games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Switched my vote from red bandana dog to blue, and name to Bandana Dee, because he's cooler than Gin.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mehuyael posted:

The last Harvest I played was Rune Factory 3, and it really had the problem of the bachelorettes looking way too young. Oh well, I think a couple looked adultish.

I played Rune Factory 2 once and one of the bachelorettes, I poo poo you not, carried around a doll and spoke to people through it because she was crazy shy. Even the loving doll acknowledged that this was an issue (Er...you get what I mean).

They seriously expected people to go, "Hmm, she acts like a shy four year old. She's my dream girl, let's have babies!" poo poo's gross man.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Gonna have to vote for Gwen because she seems like a nice girl for a farming life. She's also pretty cute by harvest moon standards

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm excited to experience not one but two Harvest Moon LPs ever since the Magical Melody one winded down three seasons in. I was unfortunate enough to own ToTT on the 3DS, which might be why I didn't get into it too much. I do remember time moving in buildings surprising me compared to the other entries in the series.

I'll hold off on voting for bachelor(ettes) until we see them all, although Gwen for Hero of Leaf Valley and the mailman for Tale of Two Towns are at the top of my list.

Outside of that, the pointy-eared dog to break tradition, who I would assume should be called Iggy.

Since I name my first four chickens after Billy Hatcher characters, I'll vote to name one Bantam just to force myself to choose one.

I also have no creativity, so I vote for your next cow to be called Cowser.

edit: Since everyone calls their horse Epona, why not go for Tengri?

pichupal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 9, 2015

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009
You need to woo the blonde, tame the blue colored dog and name it tingle, and name your pets after people in the thread

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Silver Bullet is a 4 year-old Arab thoroughbred and the horse that Dio rides.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Yes. Thank you. Also get the Droopy-eared dog and name him Jojo.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Yes. Thank you. Also get the Droopy-eared dog and name him Danny.

FTFY

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The Harvest Goddess is the pro-Harvest Moon player option. Similarly, floppy-eared dog is also the pro option.

But Cam is the best husband. :allears: Whoops gotta save that vote.

EDIT: On Treats:

All you need to do is hold them and talk to the animal like you were giving a gift. If you give animals the right amount and right types of treats, they'll produce more products in addition to becoming friendlier. This is how you can get two milks from one cow! :eng101:

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 10, 2015

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

N'thing the vote for wooing the Harvest Goddess. Tame the pointy-eared dog and name him Butters. Name the horse Bojack, the first chicken Camilla, the first cow Miltank, and name the rest of the animals after posters in this thread.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gwen knows how to handle wood.
Pointy-eared Dog best dog. The Dogs name is Doge.
First Cow is Ndamoocowmoo. If this does not fit McDouble is an acceptable alternative.
First Horse is Elmer.
Name the Chicken Cluckin'-A.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am eagerly looking forward to more of this LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Marry The Goddess obviously.

Also, the skip the Tutorial/intro window stays on the video for the whole intro/tutorial sequence.

I was going to suggest throwing in some of the other things that makes the goddess mad, but since you already decided to do that in the future, well!

Edit: to be fair, by the tine Funcorp knock down the town, she'll be 18!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread