Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Noun Verber posted:

Bad Company Vietnam was good but not as good as Battlefield Vietnam.

bad company vietnam was the most meat grindery thing ive ever played. PT boats were so op it wasnt even funny.

basically it ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
We're losing this battle, start fighting or else I'll find someone who can...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

There will never be another WW2 battlefield game because you can't have a million gun unlocks and attachments to Tactilol up your guns like the big shooter babies of today demand.

It makes me sad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

etalian posted:

The big 64 players servers owned too.

Nothing like hopping in a tank, finding a nice hill overlooking the last remaining spawn point and lobbing a shell right in the middle of it every 5 seconds. The animation of those soldiers flying 50 feet in the air and the furious "loving spawn camper" chatlog was some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Crow_Rodeo posted:

lol like, have you played BF4?

Like, this is a pretty disingenuous argument about this series as BC1 and BC2 are the only games in the series that play like that and all of the "hijinks" stuff you mention was created long before those games released.

I love BF4, but his post is still essentially correct. There was a balance in BC2 that has yet to be topped by any other similar game. Just something about it. It was a surprise to everyone too if I recall (developers and all) since on the face of it there shouldnt have been a whole lot different than any other game

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I just found my retail copy of BF2 and ut2k4. I was thinking of installing them again, guess I will. Also, the best commanders in BF2 were the ones who dropped supplies on top of you.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I just wanna have another opportunity to run over a fully-loaded recon vehicle and have it explode spectacularly under my mech's foot as the dead occupants light up on the kill-feed.

Also Titan mode, but with destructible terrain so players can make their own path to the core with enough explosives.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

bf2 on consoles sucked but there was a map called backstab on it thats prob the best battlefield map imo

this sob had it all. door to door combat, vertical helicopter bullshit, snipers, tunnels, vehicle (including civilian vehicle) nonsense, everything

id kill for a remake of this map

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Backstab

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the MEC did nothing wrong

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

rocket_man38 posted:

I just found my retail copy of BF2 and ut2k4. I was thinking of installing them again, guess I will. Also, the best commanders in BF2 were the ones who dropped supplies on top of you.

When no one else wanted to be commander, I took it since it essential gave me my own personal wall hacks. Like I mentioned earlier, I'd use the commander UAV stuff to spot those squads trying to sneak by, then I'd go stop them personally.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
did these games allow for a custom map community? im serious, battlefield: toy commander would be loving awesome

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
rumpus in the rec room

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

ut2k4 loving owned. Assault mode was the best.

BF2 Special Forces has some awesome loving maps especially Iron Gator. Its to bad I never got to play the other maps to much cause everything when I bought it was 24/7 Warlord and Ghost Town.

Also BF Hardline is fun but not for $59/$69 though. I stopped playing BF3 when the nerfed the USAS that thing was a barrel of laughs every time I used it. Didn't bother with BF4.

Looks like a good map.

BF:Vietnam is still the best of the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHiRTS57RJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0_Yw5cJg4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKKjM3BL_1g

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 8, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

urea posted:

drat, now I want to reinstall BF2, but I don't have a cd-drive anymore. Can you enter the cd-key into Origin or something like what you can do for Blizzard games?
No, neither does steam. I tried entering my product key in both. But the battelog.co page has this to say

http://www.battlelog.co/acquire.php posted:

Battlefield 2 is one of the most classic games ever made. And right now it is one of the hardest games to acquire. We cannot offically suggest to get the game without ledigimate means invested until we have exausted our efforts to contact EA for a Honest resolution.

With that being said we also do not go after anybody in a negetive way if somebody chooses to acquire the game from any avenue they see fit. We do not block or ban by key here.

Currently there is 1 offical outlet to acquire the game and it is for United states players only through Amazon.com If you need to you can login through a United states Proxy and used this service forwardit.to to Acquire an american shipping address and allow United states items to be shipped to you.

So uh, go about it on the up-and-up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

US lost vietnam because they didn't take objective flags, TKed in the spawn or help heal their team mates.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Noun Verber posted:

Bad Company Vietnam was good but not as good as Battlefield Vietnam.

BC: Vietnam had some maps that were drat near unwinnable for one team or the other, unless they were opposed by literal retards. The weapons and poo poo were awesome, but those maps, ugh.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dragon Valley was my favorite map. I want to pilot a heli with a goon gunner for the next couple hours.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Wicker Man posted:

| /
|/

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I loved the hell out of BF: Vietnam and BF2, never played 2142 other than the demo but it seemed alright.

On maps with US carriers on the opposing team, my friends and I liked to grab a helicopter over to the carrier, then spend as much time possible killing people while they waited on jets to spawn.

Wicker Man posted:

I love that Planetside has the same angry announcers when your faction is losing, "We're about to lose this facility, you can start fighting for real any time now." ~ Angry NC Lady

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the special forces expansion for bf2 was awesome too. one of the first games with a go-anywhere grappling hook and filling capture points with tear gas never got old.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

I think it was just :dice: is loving terrible and either listened to idiots or didn't pay attention. BC2 was great because it struck a pretty good balance of time to kill, mobility, vehicle vs inf vs air, and had really loving cool destruction. like no video game has quite accomplished the feeling of FUCKYEAH as you roll a tank through the smoking remains of village thats been completely demolished as far as the eye could see after intense fighting. Or trapping a building with c4 and taking out a whole squad as it collapses on them. there was just so many crazy hijynx that could ensue with it, so clearly DICE didn't like that and slowly neutered it from BF3/4 and took it out nearly entirely in Hardline for some reason.

There wasn't prone, and, run n gunning and generally being carefully aggressive was well rewarded. classes all full-filled a nice niche and complemented each other fairly well. there were no skygod jets, vehicles were often fairly rare but powerful and fairly well balanced vs infantry vs air. You didn't often find yourself being dominated by a single vehicle/copter squad, nor did you feel like you were papermache as a vehicle. also the unlock system was simple and you didn't feel overwhelmed with 5023942348923 different attachments to unlock.

also carl gustav :getin:

I miss BC2.

The king carl was never sufficiently nerfed either. I popped in a game just a few weeks ago, and got kicked for being a cheater after my fourth kill or something.
Once you have that fucker's firing arc down, you never forget it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

bf2 on consoles sucked but there was a map called backstab on it thats prob the best battlefield map imo

this sob had it all. door to door combat, vertical helicopter bullshit, snipers, tunnels, vehicle (including civilian vehicle) nonsense, everything

id kill for a remake of this map

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Backstab

BF2 did not exist on consoles. You must be thinking of Bad Company 2, which isn't a real battlefield, but was a fun romp.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the special forces expansion for bf2 was awesome too. one of the first games with a go-anywhere grappling hook and filling capture points with tear gas never got old.

I forgot all about the tear gas. That poo poo was hilarious.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

red dog, red dog, causality count is high move to reinforce outpost immediately

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ugh i reinstalled this and its prompting me for my EA account, which is apparently not my origin account, but then when i hit the forgot password it tries to get me to reset my origin account. i have it on steam and i can't use the coddes on origin

i may be boned. lame

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Frog Act posted:

ugh i reinstalled this and its prompting me for my EA account, which is apparently not my origin account, but then when i hit the forgot password it tries to get me to reset my origin account. i have it on steam and i can't use the coddes on origin

i may be boned. lame
You shouldn't need to do any of that.

And if you are talking about getting battlelog, then that's only a nice to have. It's trying to scrape your old stats or something.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Kim Jong ill posted:

Why are you using past tense? PR is still in active development and the community is alive and well. The servers are 100 players now and there's an awesome Vietnam mod for it now, as if insurgency and the massive number of factions wasn't enough.

none of my friends play anymore so i don't think it would be as fun :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ilustforponydeath posted:

The king carl was never sufficiently nerfed either. I popped in a game just a few weeks ago, and got kicked for being a cheater after my fourth kill or something.
Once you have that fucker's firing arc down, you never forget it.

It loving owned since it was pretty handy for killing both infantry and also loving up lighter vehicles like APCs/transport helicopters.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

BF2 did not exist on consoles. You must be thinking of Bad Company 2, which isn't a real battlefield, but was a fun romp.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Battlefield_2:_Modern_Combat

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

dice remake DC_Basrah's Edge tia

and sea rigs

and lost village

and all the desert combat maps :colbert:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
did these types of games ever get played professionally? like 32v32 clan wars and poo poo? cuz that seems like itd be fun if you could find 31 reliable players

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Haha, nah that one doesn't count. If it doesn't have conquest 64, it aint battlefield.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

did these types of games ever get played professionally? like 32v32 clan wars and poo poo? cuz that seems like itd be fun if you could find 31 reliable players

i doubt it. i dont have the nerd vocabulary to explain why not. theyre too buggy. too much shenanigans

KoRMaK posted:

Haha, nah that one doesn't count. If it doesn't have conquest 64, it aint battlefield.

it did suck. also it was hard as hell. but that backstab map was the cats meow

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

i doubt it. i dont have the nerd vocabulary to explain why not. theyre too buggy. too much shenanigans
too much fun

also someone said the bf3 campaign was good, it was horrible

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

You shouldn't need to do any of that.

And if you are talking about getting battlelog, then that's only a nice to have. It's trying to scrape your old stats or something.

im confused what am i supposed to do here? it's prompting me for my email, which is tied to my origin, which doesn't remember my stats from when i had it on steam. which is weird because i used the same email

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nevermind i figured it out i thnk i was just high and being stupid. awesome i thought i'd never get to play this game again

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Frog Act posted:

nevermind i figured it out i thnk i was just high and being stupid. awesome i thought i'd never get to play this game again
this thread is a success.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

pixelbaron posted:

forgotten hope
bf1918
eve of destruction
desert combat

all cool

these are good posts

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

awesome, there are still 2 BFBC2: V servers up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

PR is still running strong on BF2, except now it has 100 player servers and built-in local voice communication. It's pretty much the ultimate BF experience in my opinion. We play it pretty regularly in the CTS mumble, at any one time there are usually two full servers and the community is pretty regular/die-hard. I think a bunch of youtubers play it so it got popular again.

This was extremely my poo poo in FH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mauu3_mDpFE

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 8, 2015

• Locked thread