Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Hey guys, as we all know idiots on Tumblr and Social Justice Warriors like to get mad about everything. Like recently the U.S. Military tweeted

Now unless you choose to ignore the article it linked to here , forget the expression "chink in armor" exists, and basically have no idea what "context" is, you would think this is racist and be incredibly offended. Like this pack of idiots who forced the US Military to recant

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/01/30/army-deletes-tweet-referring-to-chinks-in-armor-after-racism-accusations/

Welcome to a new age of political correctness, where Social Justice Warriors spew out from the Eye of Terror that is Tumblr to protect the world from words and thoughts that could be offensive.

Stephen Colbert has a character called Ching Dong Ding Dong to make fun of racists? That's just a clever ploy to hide his own racism.

Think that Bill Cosby should be found guilty and punished by the legal system as opposed to a trial of public opinion? Well that means you're a rapist.

Those cartoonist at Charlie Hebdo drawing pictures of Muhammad? Well they shouldn't have been killed and it was wrong to kill them, but like a young attractive woman walking down a dark alley in a tight mini skirt, they were asking for it.

These guys are hilarious. It's really surprising that we don't have more articles like this one right here making fun of their Tumblr bullshit:

http://www.michiganreview.com/do-the-left-thing/

quote:

Do the Left Thing

TRIGGER WARNING!

It was one of the coldest days of this winter past, and I was hurrying along the Diag to class. The blistering cold did not turn my eyes from all the white privilege falling around my. All those white snowflakes falling thick upon the autumn leaves, burying their colors. Majoring in womyn’s studies, I’ve learned that oppression comes in many forms. Sometimes we fail to notice it because it’s just everywhere – just like that white snow.

As I walked, I slipped on a patch of wet leaves lining the steps of the Hatcher, and I fell forward headfirst onto the steps of the library. If it hadn’t been for the left hand that I thrust out right before my fall, I would have ended up just another statistic in the war on colored people. As it were, a white cis-gendered hetero upper-class man came down the steps just as I was falling. He looked at me with that white man’s burden face that I see too often on this racialized campus.

“Cold, isn’t it?”

Behind his words I sensed a patronizing sneer, as if he expected me to be a spokespersyn for my whole race. He offered his hand to help me up, and I thought to myself how this might be a manifestation of the patriarchy patronizing me. I doubt he would’ve said those violent words had I been white, but he would take any opportunity to patronize a colored m@n or womyn. People on this campus always box others in based on race. Triggered, I waved his hand aside and got up of my own accord.

He was taken aback. Suddenly I felt I was taking back some of that lost agency that colonialism had robbed my people of. I felt like Aamir Khan in Lagaan. That’s right, that white man wasn’t about to tax me. I didn’t even want to be that white. I turned on my heels and showed him my back.

He shouted after me, “I was just trying to do the right thing!”

**Rest in the link*

:roflolmao:

Wow that's pretty funny rebuke of these assholes, something worthy of a SA front page article. I'm so glad that writers stood up to these... oh wait, he was fired from his school newspaper for this article and his apartment was vandalized because of it.... oh dear :ohdear:

The increasing number of incidents like the above have led to commentator Johnathan Chait to write about how the return of 90's esque political correctness, or as we on the internet know them as Social Justice Warriors, are basically messing things up big time and ruining the left's chances of electoral victory. As he ends his essay:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/01/not-a-very-pc-thing-to-say.html

quote:

Not a Very P.C. Thing To Say
How Language Police Are Peverting Liberalism

**Full Essay in the Link, it's a good read. This is the ending point**

Yet it is possible to imagine that, as the next Clinton presidential campaign gets under way, p.c. culture may not dissolve so easily. The internet has shrunk the distance between p.c. culture and mainstream liberal politics, and the two are now hopelessly entangled. During the 2008 primary contest between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, the modern politics of grievance had already begun to play out, as each side’s supporters patrolled the other for any comment that might indicate gender or racial bias. It dissipated in the general election, but that was partly because Obama’s supporters worried about whether America really was ready to accept its first president who was not a white male. Clinton enters the 2016 race in a much stronger position than any other candidate, and her supporters may find it irresistible to amplify p.c. culture’s habit of interrogating the hidden gender biases in every word and gesture against their side.

Or maybe not. The p.c. style of politics has one serious, possibly fatal drawback: It is exhausting. Claims of victimhood that are useful within the left-wing subculture may alienate much of America. The movement’s dour puritanism can move people to outrage, but it may prove ill suited to the hopeful mood required of mass politics. Nor does it bode well for the movement’s longevity that many of its allies are worn out. “It seems to me now that the public face of social liberalism has ceased to seem positive, joyful, human, and freeing,” confessed the progressive writer Freddie deBoer. “There are so many ways to step on a land mine now, so many terms that have become forbidden, so many attitudes that will get you cast out if you even appear to hold them. I’m far from alone in feeling that it’s typically not worth it to engage, given the risks.” Goldberg wrote recently about people “who feel emotionally savaged by their involvement in [online feminism] — not because of sexist trolls, but because of the slashing righteousness of other feminists.” Former Feministing editor Samhita Mukhopadhyay told her, “Everyone is so scared to speak right now.”

That the new political correctness has bludgeoned even many of its own supporters into despondent silence is a triumph, but one of limited use. Politics in a democracy is still based on getting people to agree with you, not making them afraid to disagree. The historical record of political movements that sought to expand freedom for the oppressed by eliminating it for their enemies is dismal. The historical record of American liberalism, which has extended social freedoms to blacks, Jews, gays, and women, is glorious. And that glory rests in its confidence in the ultimate power of reason, not coercion, to triumph.

Now this essay got a bunch of responses as BBC's echo chamber lists here with responses ranging from "Chait is a Cis White Male Afraid of Change and a hypocrite" to right wingers saying "ha ha, i told you so."

Well there is this nice response of Fredrik deBoer telling a lot of the left wing commentators to get their heads out of their asses, cause we got a problem.

http://qz.com/335941/im-fed-up-with-political-correctness-and-the-idea-that-everyone-should-already-be-perfect/

quote:

**Excerpt, Full Article in Link**
These things aren’t hypothetical. This isn’t some thought experiment. This is where I live, where I have lived. These and many, many more depressing stories of good people pushed out and marginalized in left-wing circles because they didn’t use the proper set of social and class signals to satisfy the world of intersectional politics. So you’ll forgive me when I roll my eyes at the army of media liberals, stuffed into their narrow enclaves, responding to Chait by insisting that there is no problem here and that anyone who says there is should be considered the enemy.

By the way: in these incidents, and dozens and dozens of more like it, which I have witnessed as a 30-hour-a-week antiwar activist for three years and as a blogger for the last seven, and as a grad student for the past six, the culprits overwhelmingly were not women of color. That’s always how this conversation goes down: if you say, hey, we appear to have a real problem with how we talk to other people, we are losing potential allies left and right, then the response is always “stop lecturing women of color.” But these codes aren’t enforced by women of color, in the overwhelming majority of the time. They’re enforced by the children of privilege. I know. I live here. I am on campus. I have been in the activist meetings and the lefty coffee houses. My perspective goes beyond the same 200 people who write the entire Cool Kid Progressive Media.

Amanda Taub says political correctness “doesn’t exist.” To which I can only ask, how would you know? I don’t understand where she gets that certainty. Is Traub under the impression that the Vox offices represents the breadth of left-wing culture? I read dozens of tweets and hot take after hot take, insisting that there’s no problem here, and it’s coming overwhelmingly from people who have no idea what they’re talking about.

Well, listen, you guys: I don’t know what to do. I am out of ideas. I am willing to listen to suggestions. What do I do, when I see so many good, impressionable young people run screaming from left-wing politics because they are excoriated the first second they step mildly out of line? Megan Garber, you have any suggestions for me, when I meet some 20-year-old who got caught in a Twitter storm and determined that she never wanted to set foot in that culture again? I’m all ears. If I’m not allowed to ever say, hey, you know, there’s more productive, more inclusive ways to argue here, then I don’t know what the gently caress I am supposed to do or say. Hey, Alex Pareene. I get it. You can write this kind of piece in your sleep. You will always find work writing pieces like that. It’s easy and it’s fun and you can tell jokes and those same 200 media jerks will give you a thousand pats on the back for it. Do you have any advice for me, here, on campus? Do you know what I’m supposed to say to some shellshocked 19-year-old from Terra Haute who, I’m very sorry to say, hasn’t had a decade to absorb bell hooks? Can you maybe do me a favor, and instead of writing a piece designed to get you yet-more retweets from Weird Twitter, tell me how to reach these potential allies when I know that they’re going to get burned terribly for just being typical clumsy kids? Since you’re telling me that if I say a word against people who go nuclear at the slightest provocation, I’m just one of the Jon Chaits, please inform me how I can act as an educator and an ally and a friend. Because I am out of loving ideas.[/url]

The fact is the Democrats got trounced in the Mid-Term elections and with an election happening soon in Canada and a slew of Primaries and the 2016 U.S. Presidential Elections coming up, there's a growing fear that people have spent a bit too long in their echo chambers and don't realize how the rest of the human race will see these "Identity politics" and run away from the left en mass. And that's not just Chait's analysis or mine, John D. Judis who predicted an enduring Democrat Majority now thinks things are screwed because of the pull the hard left is gaining

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/the-emerging-republican-advantage-20150130 (thx Omi-Polari for posting this)

quote:

The more surprising trend is that Republicans are gaining dramatically among a group that had tilted toward Democrats in 2006 and 2008: Call them middle-class Americans. These are voters who generally work in what economist Stephen Rose has called "the office economy." In exit polling, they can roughly be identified as those who have college—but not postgraduate—degrees and those whose household incomes are between $50,000 and $100,000. (Obviously, the overlap here is imperfect, but there is a broad congruence between these polling categories.)

[...]

Middle-class voters tend, on average, to be more socially liberal than white working-class voters, and they have punished Republicans for taking harshly conservative stands on social issues. In the 2012 Senate race in Missouri, for instance, Democrat Claire McCaskill, running against antiabortion crusader Todd Akin, was able to win college-educated voters by 50 percent to 44 percent after losing them by 53 percent to 43 percent to Republican Jim Talent in 2006. She edged Akin among voters with household incomes between $50,000 and $100,000 after losing them, too, in 2006. (Perhaps some of this was due to the difference between a midterm electorate and a presidential-year electorate; but some of it was almost certainly due to Akin's infamous comments about "legitimate rape," which caused him to go from leading to trailing in the polls.)

Yet while middle-class voters are generally socially liberal, they oppose candidates on this basis only when those candidates take extreme positions. And so, when Republican politicians have soft-pedaled their views on abortion or guns or immigration, middle-class voters have largely ignored these issues in deciding whom to back—reverting to their natural tendency to focus on topics like taxes, spending, and the size of government. In 2014, Democrats in Arkansas, Colorado, Maryland, Ohio, and Virginia learned this the hard way when they centered their campaigns on their opponents' opposition to abortion rights or gun control—and lost.

Well it looks like Social Justice Warrior Political Correctness Bullshit may actually lead to a Republican Super Majority and a Republican President in 2016. I look forward to this new right wing paradigm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There is nothing that is not "identity politics" on some level. It's a meaningless term.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Effectronica posted:

There is nothing that is not "identity politics" on some level. It's a meaningless term.

When random replies to the Army twitter account bring forth hell on Earth you're going to feel pretty silly.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Effectronica posted:

Meanwhile in the real world people recognize the phrase "identity politics" as having a specific meaning, despite your semantic handwaving.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Meanwhile in the real world people recognize the phrase "identity politics" as having a specific meaning, despite your semantic handwaving.

No, I doubt I could ask fifty people off the street what "identity politics" meant and get a coherent answer from more than one or two of them. Not to mention that the term originally applied to class and economic issues as well, as it was invented/popularized by the political right.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

When random replies to the Army twitter account bring forth hell on Earth you're going to feel pretty silly.

Sounds like a problem with adapting to new modes of communication. Almost everybody has a voice now and there are a lot of idiots out there. Let's get rid of all the idiots with leftist or progressive vocabularies sounds great but is it achievable?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Anytime anyone uses the "but not court of public opinon!" they are being dumb as poo poo and deserve mockery.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I don't get it. Why are you so mad at skeletons?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Why am I seething with this animosity.

I think you owe me a great big apology.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

designed to be conventional weapons of warfare; Arsenal Gear was built to wage information warfare on the world. The number of Arsenal Gear units is unknown, but Solidus Snake took control of one in the events of MGS2, and Liquid Ocelot commandeered another during MGS4. Arsenal Gear houses one of the Patriot AI’s, GW (“George Washington”), which has the ability to track and censor global Internet information. Its purpose is to keep hidden any information the Patriots are unwilling to share with the world. It can modify, block, and tamper with digital information. Additionally, Arsenal Gear has complete control over the military’s tactical network—giving the Patriots complete control over the United States’ armed services. Arsenal Gear also carries a payload of nuclear weapons. To protect itself, Arsenal Gear is equipped with an army of 25 mass-produced Metal Gear RAY’s, a legion of military personnel, missiles, and of course, its nuclear payload.

The solution already exists, we are witnessing the fabrication of the problem.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Not really, no. Got any specific examples from 'the real world'?
Google search 'identity politics' and I get scholarly texts, and a info box from rational wiki as the top spots. The closest thing to mainstream from the first page is a index of identity politics from The Guardian, and they list maybe 1 article a month mentioning it.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mayor Dave posted:

I don't get it. Why are you so mad at skeletons?

Perhaps you can't present a personal honest opinion because it may harm you in your circles, yes?

Thank god i don't share your politics.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
help. people on the internet are saying mean words about the serial rapist millionaire

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Perhaps you can't present a personal honest opinion because it may harm you in your circles, yes?

A Weird Post.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

help people on the internet are saying mean words about the serial rapist millionaire

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Personal, honest opinion: you both will be up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
DnD loves acting like this isn't a real problem for the left and I can't understand why.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Effectronica posted:

No, I doubt I could ask fifty people off the street what "identity politics" meant and get a coherent answer from more than one or two of them. Not to mention that the term originally applied to class and economic issues as well, as it was invented/popularized by the political right.

I don't know, they might not be 100% clear on the meaning of the term, but try and explain to those 50 people that an act as simple as holding a door open for someone is an act of misogyny that reinforces our oppressive patriarchy... and I'd wager most of those people would say you're nuts.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sounds like some lefty pseudo-intellectual latte sipping bullshit OP.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Miltank posted:

DnD loves acting like this isn't a real problem for the left and I can't understand why.

They aren't really a problem.

Extremists have always existed, they will always exist.

The Right has them too, but it hasn't stopped them in any real way.

SJW is just the PC of the internet age, no more no less.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Miltank posted:

It's not acting.

Shadoer posted:

I don't know, they might not be 100% clear on the meaning of the term, but try and explain to those 50 people that an act as simple as holding a door open for someone is an act of misogyny that reinforces our oppressive patriarchy... and I'd wager most of those people would say you're nuts.

You have never had this happen to you, ever, in real life, which is why people would think you're insane. Because you are. You have a disease of the mind.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

Personal, honest opinion: you both will be up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Actually I can draw anime babes very well. Anime babes as a currency.. good god man I may really be on to something!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shadoer posted:

So we agree these are fringe positions that don't penetrate into the mainstream consiousness and thus are of no consequence? Good to know.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Shadoer posted:

Hey guys, as we all know idiots on Tumblr and Social Justice Warriors like to get mad about everything. Like recently the U.S. Military tweeted

Now unless you choose to ignore the article it linked to here , forget the expression "chink in armor" exists, and basically have no idea what "context" is, you would think this is racist and be incredibly offended. Like this pack of idiots who forced the US Military to recant

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/01/30/army-deletes-tweet-referring-to-chinks-in-armor-after-racism-accusations/

Welcome to a new age of political correctness, where Social Justice Warriors spew out from the Eye of Terror that is Tumblr to protect the world from words and thoughts that could be offensive.

Stephen Colbert has a character called Ching Dong Ding Dong to make fun of racists? That's just a clever ploy to hide his own racism.

Think that Bill Cosby should be found guilty and punished by the legal system as opposed to a trial of public opinion? Well that means you're a rapist.

Those cartoonist at Charlie Hebdo drawing pictures of Muhammad? Well they shouldn't have been killed and it was wrong to kill them, but like a young attractive woman walking down a dark alley in a tight mini skirt, they were asking for it.

These guys are hilarious. It's really surprising that we don't have more articles like this one right here making fun of their Tumblr bullshit:

http://www.michiganreview.com/do-the-left-thing/

:roflolmao:

Wow that's pretty funny rebuke of these assholes, something worthy of a SA front page article. I'm so glad that writers stood up to these... oh wait, he was fired from his school newspaper for this article and his apartment was vandalized because of it.... oh dear :ohdear:

The increasing number of incidents like the above have led to commentator Johnathan Chait to write about how the return of 90's esque political correctness, or as we on the internet know them as Social Justice Warriors, are basically messing things up big time and ruining the left's chances of electoral victory. As he ends his essay:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/01/not-a-very-pc-thing-to-say.html

Now this essay got a bunch of responses as BBC's echo chamber lists here with responses ranging from "Chait is a Cis White Male Afraid of Change and a hypocrite" to right wingers saying "ha ha, i told you so."

Well there is this nice response of Fredrik deBoer telling a lot of the left wing commentators to get their heads out of their asses, cause we got a problem.

http://qz.com/335941/im-fed-up-with-political-correctness-and-the-idea-that-everyone-should-already-be-perfect/

The fact is the Democrats got trounced in the Mid-Term elections and with an election happening soon in Canada and a slew of Primaries and the 2016 U.S. Presidential Elections coming up, there's a growing fear that people have spent a bit too long in their echo chambers and don't realize how the rest of the human race will see these "Identity politics" and run away from the left en mass. And that's not just Chait's analysis or mine, John D. Judis who predicted an enduring Democrat Majority now thinks things are screwed because of the pull the hard left is gaining

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/the-emerging-republican-advantage-20150130 (thx Omi-Polari for posting this)

Well it looks like Social Justice Warrior Political Correctness Bullshit may actually lead to a Republican Super Majority and a Republican President in 2016. I look forward to this new right wing paradigm.

Have you tried not being a dumb oval office?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Basically there's an entire generation of people who have confused political correctness with health and safety legislation.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
personal, honest opinion: the backlash against "SJWs" and such is the manifestation of conservatism of this generation, primarily its males, just as the backlash against "PC" was in the early 90s and just as the backlash against hippies was in the 60s and 70s.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I actually agree, skeletons do get mad about everything, but I think it has more to do with having no flesh than some misguided sense of fairness

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Everyone on the internet talks like a fag and their poo poo's all retarded.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
hey is this the D&D gamergate thread???

Caros
May 14, 2008

Its worth noting that the Newspaper's reasoning for firing the satire guy in your OP was as follows:

quote:

Editor's Note: Statement on the termination of a former columnist
BY DAILY STAFF

Over the past several days, media reports have emerged online about The Michigan Daily’s decision to terminate a former columnist. So far, the Daily has not commented on these reports since this is considered an internal staff matter and out of respect for the student’s privacy.

However, the degree to which these reports have misrepresented the situation have necessitated a response from the Daily to clarify the circumstances surrounding his termination and combat the inaccuracies that have been perpetuated about our publication.

In mid-November, the former columnist authored a column in The Michigan Review, which made his continued involvement with both the Daily and the Review untenable. The way in which the author satirically mocked the experiences of fellow Daily contributors and minority communities on campus in his Review column violated our values and integrity as a publication. His actions created a conflict of interest regarding his employment with both the Daily and the Review.

In a meeting with the Daily’s editors, the former columnist was given the option of staying with either the Daily or the Review, and at the time he said he would choose the Daily. However, he later took his version of the story to The College Fix and The Daily Caller, as stated above, violated several of our bylaws and this ultimately led to his termination on December 4.

While the Daily respects the free speech rights of members of the campus community, our bylaws do not allow writers to discuss the internal politics and governance of the Daily in external publications while remaining part of the Daily staff. The former columnist was offered an opportunity to appeal this decision, which he has chosen not to pursue.

The writer was terminated because he violated a number of our publication’s bylaws, not because of his political beliefs. In our 124-year history, The Michigan Daily has aimed to serve the campus, the state, and the nation with our coverage and journalistic integrity. Our writers in the past and present have a variety of political perspectives — conservative, liberal, and points in between — and we expect that variety to continue. Consistent with this tradition, the Daily serves as a voice for all students, including those with all political perspectives, racial backgrounds, or sexual orientations, to name a few.

As the leading publication at the University of Michigan, the Daily strives to represent the diversity of viewpoints and narratives present on campus in meaningful, thoughtful ways. We vigorously support and affirm the right of students and faculty to debate and reflect on important issues of the day. To act in any other way would run counter to our mission and heritage, and we look forward to continuing to host these conversations in the years to come.

The vandalism was bullshit, but seems to me he got canned for being a conservative writer making fun of his socially liberal co-workers and fellow students, which, yeah... no poo poo.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mayor Dave posted:

I actually agree, skeletons do get mad about everything, but I think it has more to do with having no flesh than some misguided sense of fairness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkIFMxIjdXg&t=76s

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Shadoer posted:

Hey guys, as we all know idiots on Tumblr and Social Justice Warriors like to get mad about everything.

You're a straight, white cismale, right? Part of your privilege is you get to be totally blind to all the advantages that go along with your position in life. You won the genetic lottery, and don't even realise it. People who grow up being the victims of racism every single day do take offense at terms like 'ch*nk' - it costs nothing to avoid it, so why not act to make the world a better place?

In all my letters, I try harder than anything else to make myself clear. I try to state things as simply and unambiguously as I can because I find that that's the best way to convince my readers that Shadoer suffers from a pathology of delusion. It is worth noting at the outset that my opinions are the obverse of Shadoer's. That concept can be extended, mutatis mutandis, to the way that he definitely wants me to burst into tears. If I did, I'm sure the chortles from Shadoer and his band would be rich and prolonged, especially given how Shadoer knows how to lie. It's too bad he doesn't yet understand the ramifications of lying.

To make a long story short, Shadoer's outbursts symbolize lawlessness, violence, and misguided rebellion—extreme liberty for a few, even if the rest of us lose more than a little freedom. Shadoer has made some imprecise statements and statements that ought to have had all sorts of qualifications and reservations attached to them. This brings us to the harsh reality that must be faced: If Shadoer would, just once, demonstrate real and genuine concern for others, he might begin to realize that he alleges that his generalizations are Holy Writ. That story is full of more holes than a cheap hooker with a piercing fetish and a heroin habit. One of the goals of nativism is to render meaningless the words “best” and “worst”. Shadoer admires that philosophy because, by annihilating human perceptions of quality, Shadoer's own mediocrity can flourish.

If I am correctly informed, the dynamics of the situation are such that you can decidedly assume serious trouble is brewing when patronizing renegades support those for whom hatred has become a way of life. In any case, malefic vandals are often found at his elbow. This suggests to me that he has had some success in playing on people's irrational fears. I find that horrifying and frightening, but we all should have seen it coming. We all knew that Shadoer apparently wants to use us to fulfill his nerdy mission. As long as I live, I will be shouting this truth from rooftops and doing everything I can to stop the Huns at the gate. To close, let me accentuate that if we speak out against chthonic, clumsy fence-sitters we shall not only survive Shadoer's attacks; we shall prevail.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I feel like twitter is way more relevant w/r/t callout culture and its associated issues than tumblr ever was

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You have never had this happen to you, ever, in real life, which is why people would think you're insane. Because you are. You have a disease of the mind.

Actually I attended a panel discussion at a University lately and there were people handing out flyers that did list holding a door open as sexist and reinforcing the patriarchy.

Hell google "is holding a door open sexist" and you'll get a bunch of these gems

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003821/Feminists-claim-men-hold-open-doors-women-SEXIST-chivalrous.html

quote:

Men who hold open doors for women are SEXIST not chivalrous, feminists claim

Men who open doors for women are guilty of 'benevolent sexism' according to a new study by feminist psychologists.

Helping the ladies choose the right computer as well as carrying their shopping are also signs of 'unseen' sexism in society, according to the report.

Referring to a group of men and women as 'guys' is also a no-no, says the research, meaning that even men who seem enlightened could be unknowingly committing daily acts of sexism.

It could also mean that women, too, are unaware of it but are unwittingly affected because it helps to create a culture of women being seen as the vulnerable sex who need a man's help.

Other examples of unseen sexism include calling women 'girls' but not referring to men as 'boys' and a man offering to do the driving on a long journey instead of a female partner.

Now sexist or not, I can't imagine stuff like this would play well to the majority of Americans.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tumblr.txt posted:

You're a straight, white cismale, right? Part of your privilege is you get to be totally blind to all the advantages that go along with your position in life. You won the genetic lottery, and don't even realise it. People who grow up being the victims of racism every single day do take offense at terms like 'ch*nk' - it costs nothing to avoid it, so why not act to make the world a better place?

In all my letters, I try harder than anything else to make myself clear. I try to state things as simply and unambiguously as I can because I find that that's the best way to convince my readers that Shadoer suffers from a pathology of delusion. It is worth noting at the outset that my opinions are the obverse of Shadoer's. That concept can be extended, mutatis mutandis, to the way that he definitely wants me to burst into tears. If I did, I'm sure the chortles from Shadoer and his band would be rich and prolonged, especially given how Shadoer knows how to lie. It's too bad he doesn't yet understand the ramifications of lying.

To make a long story short, Shadoer's outbursts symbolize lawlessness, violence, and misguided rebellion—extreme liberty for a few, even if the rest of us lose more than a little freedom. Shadoer has made some imprecise statements and statements that ought to have had all sorts of qualifications and reservations attached to them. This brings us to the harsh reality that must be faced: If Shadoer would, just once, demonstrate real and genuine concern for others, he might begin to realize that he alleges that his generalizations are Holy Writ. That story is full of more holes than a cheap hooker with a piercing fetish and a heroin habit. One of the goals of nativism is to render meaningless the words “best” and “worst”. Shadoer admires that philosophy because, by annihilating human perceptions of quality, Shadoer's own mediocrity can flourish.

If I am correctly informed, the dynamics of the situation are such that you can decidedly assume serious trouble is brewing when patronizing renegades support those for whom hatred has become a way of life. In any case, malefic vandals are often found at his elbow. This suggests to me that he has had some success in playing on people's irrational fears. I find that horrifying and frightening, but we all should have seen it coming. We all knew that Shadoer apparently wants to use us to fulfill his nerdy mission. As long as I live, I will be shouting this truth from rooftops and doing everything I can to stop the Huns at the gate. To close, let me accentuate that if we speak out against chthonic, clumsy fence-sitters we shall not only survive Shadoer's attacks; we shall prevail.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Shadoer posted:

Actually I attended a panel discussion at a University lately and there were people handing out flyers that did list holding a door open as sexist and reinforcing the patriarchy.

Hell google "is holding a door open sexist" and you'll get a bunch of these gems

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003821/Feminists-claim-men-hold-open-doors-women-SEXIST-chivalrous.html

Now sexist or not, I can't imagine stuff like this would play well to the majority of Americans.

You did not. That's the Daily Mail, not reality. You may have wandered in from some parallel universe, and I wish you'd go back there.

In any case, you'd think if it really was an issue, there'd be one person, one person who cared about it that didn't suffer from extremely advanced fail AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0URjdOZNQ

:chanpop:

• Locked thread