Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zazi posted:

what movies where the main character doesn't succeed in ruining an otherwise successful relationship?

like he lets her know halfway through the film that he's in love with her and she lets him down reasonably gently and then we get to the end and he makes a big romantic gesture like Kirk Van Houten and she just says "no, seriously, my boyfriend and I are very happy together and you need to stop pestering me"

[edit] I guess Rushmore has that. Although I'd prefer him not getting the consolation cute Asian chick and that there would be a likeable boyfriend that the main character is trying to steal the girl from.

my favorite cliche is stealing the girl at the last minute as she walks down the isle on her loving wedding day. how loving evil do you have to be to bust in the door like an action hero and tell a lady you love her when she's about to get married in the hopes that she'll be with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bdyzc5sdQo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

my favorite cliche is stealing the girl at the last minute as she walks down the isle on her loving wedding day. how loving evil do you have to be to bust in the door like an action hero and tell a lady you love her when she's about to get married in the hopes that she'll be with you

ELAINE!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I never saw Made of Honor but from hearing my friends describe it, the rival boyfriend sounded pretty badass and superior in every way.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Applewhite posted:

*Is actually someone a normal woman would want to date*

I don't...properly remember any romcoms. I know I watched a couple, but they have just gone from my mind. I kinda remember that Disney animated Beauty and the Beast from when I was a kid, which doesn't properly count but even then I always thought that the guy who was set up from the start to be "bad" was like this. I also remember bits and pieces from Love Actually, and I was thought it was creepy and utterly stank of incompetence that the British PM didn't send a quick note to MI5 to research the chick he had a crush on. If it was that easy to ambush the leader of a major nation, like she could have done...wow.

Robo Reagan posted:

*gets dumped for having the audacity to have close friendships with other women, is slapped in the face for taking a female business partner out to dinner to discuss an upcoming meeting*

This, but also:
*at a moment of extreme stress, and after being sleep deprived thanks to an incredibly involved work situation, punches the male protagonist in the face after he becomes extremely offensively vocal about his recent treatment of the girlfriend, which involved no aggression just a level of neglect justified by recent work commitments. Protagonist doesn't press charges, but boyfriend still hands himself in to police after calling his lawyer, and is extremely apologetic and tries to settle out of court. The movie presents this in context of it being a bribe, and the protagonist doesn't press charges because his lawyer says there's no hope in court but it's presented to the audience as an act of forgiveness. The chick leaves, the business deal comes through...*

Robo Reagan posted:

*decides to bang said business partner after girlfriend dumps him for creepy weirdo stalker, eventually marries business partner and lives happily ever after*

*...lives happily ever after as a millionaire. And still goes to the gym unlike the protagonist who becomes extremely flabby the very minute the movie finishes.*

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

"hey yeah um, it turns out that you're my sister. yeah, i guess we were separated at birth. sorry. that means that guy who was, uh, like, torturing you? he's your dad, too - our dad. was our dad. bit of a bummer, hey? whew its kind of a relief to get that off my chest. hey, you should go, uh, go see what han is up to."

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
hey katherine heigl how's it going, it sure is great being your romcom boyfriend!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Is a really good guy who tragically dies of cancer half way through the movie, last words to the male lead are "You take good care of her bro. You hear me?"*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

CAAAASSSAAAAAANDRAAAAHHHH!!!

Zazi posted:

what movies where the main character doesn't succeed in ruining an otherwise successful relationship?

like he lets her know halfway through the film that he's in love with her and she lets him down reasonably gently and then we get to the end and he makes a big romantic gesture like Kirk Van Houten and she just says "no, seriously, my boyfriend and I are very happy together and you need to stop pestering me"

[edit] I guess Rushmore has that. Although I'd prefer him not getting the consolation cute Asian chick and that there would be a likeable boyfriend that the main character is trying to steal the girl from.

We need some Inception type poo poo where the original boyfriend suddenly gets the hots for the consolation GF for the protagonist, leading to a sequel that's an inversion of the first. Or something.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

*eats pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

*Dies offscreen before the movie starts, leaving the girl to wonder if she will ever love again*

She hasn't felt the way protagonist makes her feel since I died.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I don't like records or loft apartments and somehow will end up being punished for being financially successful.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

babe i thought you like it when i call you hunnybun

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
*dies in 9/11*

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Flavahbeast posted:

*eats pieces of poo poo for breakfast*

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

babe i know i was quarterback in high school but ill go easy on your friend. were all just having fun at this family picnic

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Cruel oppressor status for being unwilling to fund puppeteering master's.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

*gets dumped for not liking things only women and gay men like, such as poetry, or art*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
*Makes a single mistake, gets dumped. Romantic rival who fucks up for entire movie gets my gf*

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

*i grip male lead strongly by his shoulder, turning him around forcibly with my toned and muscled arm. looks him in the eye, maintaining eye contact while smiling to reveal perfect white teeth. tells male lead if he ever gets close to female lead again, there will be consequences. my piercing blue eyes roll back in their sockets, sclera reddens as delicate blood vessels bulge and pop. perfectly maintained blonde hair shifts and rustles like a corn field in the wind as tiny scrabbling black carapaced feelers begin to crawl out of scalp. smile widens until the corners of my mouth splits and tears up to my ears, which are now screaming lamprey mouths. teeth squirm and pop against each other and they fall out, gums undulating like fleshy waves, the outlines of the creatures underneath bulge obscenely as they rise up through the vacant sockets showing themselves to be centipedes with human faces with expressions frozen in anguish and their mouths moving up and down silently, speaking secrets no one can hear. tongue spasms wildly and pulses like an exposed heart. tailored designer business suit i'm wearing bleeds black ichor and pale wriggling worms. i eat shits like you for breakfast, i say, but the voice doesn't come from my mouth, it's everywhere in space and time, resonating in every moment of his life, past and future. i am the galaxy, he is a mote of a hydrogen atom in one of my spiral arms.*

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

hey man i know youve been having some problems lately but it would be nice if me an susie could get some time together. i mean it's my fault too, ive been so busy at the dealership, but i really want to buy a nice house for us and maybe our future kids

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
lol itt goons are bitter aged misanthropes who can no longer root for an underdog and prefer the cold unfeeling embrace of a hefty retirement fund

also

*is perfect except for one cartoonishly evil supervillan level 'flaw' that justifies all the bad poo poo that's about to happen to me*

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm more familiar with the romantic comedies where the main character is really busy with work and needs to get laid

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Zazi posted:

i'd recommend Drinking Buddies. it does a good job setting up the usual situation (stable but lagging relationship tempted by a fling with someone that looks good on paper) and ends up somewhere completely different and fairly realistic.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i just want my kids back

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wicker Man posted:

We need some Inception type poo poo where the original boyfriend suddenly gets the hots for the consolation GF for the protagonist, leading to a sequel that's an inversion of the first. Or something.

an ouroboros of sloppy seconds

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Wicker Man posted:

No way, what we really need is a movie where the usual first half happens, but as the new guy starts to win over the gf, the bf gets interested in him also. Starts as a cautious interest of the new guy's affection toward the gf, they slowly become drinking buddies as the old guy is awash with weird feelings and half baked ideas to get the new guy to back off of the gf, then eventually one thing leads to another, they both find out they're bi, and old guy leaves the gf to be with new guy

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
*treats gf like an actual person instead of a fairytale princess*
*gf leaves for handsome stranger who treats her like aforementioned princess*

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Delsaber posted:

"Conflict resolution is my job." *zen stance*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm a really generous and financially stable guy, but since I ignored you for a few moments on account of my job or my interests that don't involve entirely around you and how much I adore you feel free to run off with the awkward but endearing dude who will act head over heels in love with you and go on romantic adventures all over the big city.

You know, like we did when we first met. And how your previous boyfriend did when you first met. And those other 3 boyfriends before him.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

*is a fallible person with average faults*

*is dumped for someone who appears better than him in every possible way*

naem
May 29, 2011

Worst romantic comedy ever- 2007's "ps I love you"

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0431308/

Notable points:

-Hilary swank marries an Irish guy she meets on vacation, he ends up driving a limo in New York.
-they own a $4 million dollar loft apt in nyc but she treats him like crap and talks to her shoes
-he dies, of cancer. The movie shows NONE of him dying and focuses entirely on what a sad princess she is
-her boss gives her a paid YEAR off. A year. Paid. Off.
-"let's fly to Ireland and be sluts!" Says phoebe from Friends "ok yes becasue I am a princess hehe!" says Hilary swank and, other woman
-Hilary swank tracks down all her dead husbands childhood friends AND FUCKS THEM. SHE FUCKS ALL HER DEAD HUSBANDS CHILDHOOD FRIENDS. ALL OF THEM. THIS IS A THING THAT HAPPENS
-she marries a guy who looks exactly like her dead husband from her dead husbands small gay town in Ireland (DID I MENTION IRELAND? IRISH! SHAMROCKS) and treats him like crap as he also drives and limo and she buys more shoes to talk to, the end

naem
May 29, 2011

"Hey did you know my husband Kevin?"

"Oh yeah, Kevin. We were in school. Good guy."

"Yeah I'm his wife he's dead. Wanna gently caress?"

*starts stripping clothes off*

"I, um wait what?? I ah, w-well.."

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

naem posted:

Notable points:

-Hilary swank marries an Irish guy she meets on vacation, he ends up driving a limo in New York.
-they own a $4 million dollar loft apt in nyc but she treats him like crap and talks to her shoes
-he dies, of cancer. The movie shows NONE of him dying and focuses entirely on what a sad princess she is
-"let's fly to Ireland and be sluts!" Says phoebe from Friends "ok yes becasue I am a princess hehe!" says Hilary swank and, other woman
-Hilary swank tracks down all her dead husbands childhood friends AND FUCKS THEM. SHE FUCKS ALL HER DEAD HUSBANDS CHILDHOOD FRIENDS. ALL OF THEM. THIS IS A THING THAT HAPPENS
-she marries a guy who looks exactly like her dead husband from her dead husbands small gay town in Ireland (DID I MENTION IRELAND? IRISH! SHAMROCKS) and treats him like crap as he also drives and limo and she buys more shoes to talk to, the end

lol are you serious?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Which one is where the guy done the sins of playing a card game with her one night but protagonist is more fun because he hangs at party all the time even if he is in the 30s. It's a really old movie from the late 80s/early 90s.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 9, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

naem posted:

"Hey did you know my husband Kevin?"

"Oh yeah, Kevin. We were in school. Good guy."

"Yeah I'm his wife he's dead. Wanna gently caress?"

*starts stripping clothes off*

"I, um wait what?? I ah, w-well.."

Does the husband's friend 'mysteriously' die of cancer too?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*live together as happy couple for years, reveals self to be violent, selfish rear end in a top hat just before they walk down the aisle, nobody wonders why she didn't notice anything sooner*

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Everyone in this video is now dead from measles.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I was up there at the alter, when this goon who was plowing my mother-in-law kicks down the chapel door, attacks my family with a crucifix, steals my fiance, and drives off on a greyhound bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

naem posted:

Notable points:

This film couldn't possibly live up to the expectations you have raised for it.

Could it?

• Locked thread