Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People read that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Scalding Coffee posted:

People read that?

probably

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Top City Homo posted:

dont they have nurses in high school

jjust have those bitches give vaccines between blowing thhe students

Some high schools do, most elementary schools don't. A lot of these shots are ones that younger kids should be getting.

Another interesting correlation is that parents who are too lazy to vaccinate their kids, have kids who are often absent from school, missing possible vaccination days should they happen at all in school. Back in the day (mid-late 90's) they used to have the guy show up to our high-school once a year to take photos for the year book and student cards. When the yearbook came out there would be a list of 3-4 students at the end of each grade who missed photo day (high school of ~700 kids). Now you have lists of 20 or more students missing for each grade in a high school that has shrunk to ~450 students.

I think the general trend in just about everything is that parents are steadily getting shittier.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It is harder for some people to get a car/driver's license than it is for them to get pregnant

they just let anyone do it, almost no questions asked really

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Basically the success of past mandatory vaccination programs created complacency, along with technology such as the internet helping anti-vaxxers to find group support for their horrible unscientific viewpoints.

My supervisor's daughter doesn't want to get her kids vaccinated, and he himself was torn as to whether or not they needed it. His exact words were, "I mean, who gets sick from the measles anymore?" I had to explain to him that the only reason we don't get sick from the measles anymore is because of vaccinations, not because the measles virus itself has become less deadly. Same thing with polio, and told him that my dad remembers when there were bans on swimming in certain places because of polio.

Whoever said that anti-vaxxers need to talk to people who remember the pre-vaccine days is right. I like to mention that the guy who wrote "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" saw his daughter die from the measles. Putting a sympathetic name/face to someone affected by measles or whatever is more effective than facts and figures, sadly. Graphic depictions of the diseases would probably be a good start. People need to be more afraid of their children dying or being horribly disfigured than of magically contracting autism from a vaccine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bobbie Wickham posted:

My supervisor's daughter doesn't want to get her kids vaccinated, and he himself was torn as to whether or not they needed it. His exact words were, "I mean, who gets sick from the measles anymore?" I had to explain to him that the only reason we don't get sick from the measles anymore is because of vaccinations, not because the measles virus itself has become less deadly. Same thing with polio, and told him that my dad remembers when there were bans on swimming in certain places because of polio.

Whoever said that anti-vaxxers need to talk to people who remember the pre-vaccine days is right. I like to mention that the guy who wrote "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" saw his daughter die from the measles. Putting a sympathetic name/face to someone affected by measles or whatever is more effective than facts and figures, sadly. Graphic depictions of the diseases would probably be a good start. People need to be more afraid of their children dying or being horribly disfigured than of magically contracting autism from a vaccine.

It's why the developing world takes mandatory vaccination more seriously.

Also the whole "Never heard of someone having measles" argument overlooks high you need to have good coverage to get the herd immunity effect.

A majority of US states no longer meet the 90% and above requirement to have herd immunity.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

A majority of US states no longer meet the 90% and above requirement to have herd immunity.

Is it really a majority now? God that is depressing.

edit: reminder from last page. christ.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 11, 2015

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Measles meets all the criteria for an eradication programme like smallpox. If everyone manned up and took their shots now we could eliminate it forever and then no one would need to be vaccinated against measles again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ivor Biggun posted:

Measles meets all the criteria for an eradication programme like smallpox. If everyone manned up and took their shots now we could eliminate it forever and then no one would need to be vaccinated against measles again.

Not really, it's a big world and you never can eradicate things like Polio since it's always tend to survive somewhere.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
People need to visit one of my favorite sites, :nms: :nws: http://thanatos.net/. :nms: :nws:

It's a treasury of Victorian post-mortem photography.

At first you notice that most are posed like they're asleep, or perhaps the mother is holding them. It doesn't take long before you realize that most pictures are of little children. And sometimes it says why they died. Fever. Measles. Smallpox. Sometimes you see a line of little coffins, and it's the whole family, wiped out.

By a disease we can control with a goddamned vaccine.

I suspect that, if you asked the parents, they'd move Heaven and Earth to get those vaccines for their kids.

Hell's waiting for Jenny McCarthy.

Khazar-khum fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 11, 2015

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

aww yeah nc superiority

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

Not really, it's a big world and you never can eradicate things like Polio since it's always tend to survive somewhere.

Smallpox is dead, rinderpest (cow measles) has been eradicated. Dracunculiasis is nearly done as well. Polio will be eradicated, it's just taken a lot longer than it should have due to the tautalogical combination of politics and stupidity.

Criteria for a disease to be eliminated:

No non-human reservoir, or if there is one it must be easy to identify (rinderpest).

There must be a working vaccine, antibiotic or method to stop transmission that is efficient and practical. i.e. a vaccine that works reliably and can be distributed worldwide without special handling precautions like needing to be refrigerated or used within a short timespan after manufacture.

The disease to be eradicated should be clearly identifiable, and an accurate diagnostic tool should exist. So people who have the disease always present with symptoms (no hidden carriers) and the symptoms are unambiguous i.e. don't need a lab test for the diagnosis.

Measles easily fits these criteria which is why it was largely eliminated in the United States. It hasn't been eradicated yet because it's still endemic in other parts of the world.

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 11, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://nvicadvocacy.org/members/Home.aspx

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
has the point been reached yet where 'measles parties' are an actual thing once again for the first time since the late 50s?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Mariana Horchata posted:

has the point been reached yet where 'measles parties' are an actual thing once again for the first time since the late 50s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pox_party

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/04/news/la-heb-chicken-pox-party-mail-20111104

gently caress. Seriously, gently caress everything.

quote:

This week, press reports emerged that some parents, hoping to avoid giving their kids the chickenpox vaccine, were arranging through Facebook to pay strangers to send them "[licked] lollipops, spit or other items" from kids with the illness.

The idea is to expose the kids to the virus to build immunity without having to get a shot.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My child can either knowingly be exposed to the disease, suffer greatly, and gain antibodies while hopefully not suffering any permanent disabilities or dying or they can receive an shot which will give them antibodies without actually having the disease. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

My child can either knowingly be exposed to the disease, suffer greatly, and gain antibodies while hopefully not suffering any permanent disabilities or dying or they can receive an shot which will give them antibodies without actually having the disease. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the vaccine contains dangerous chemicals and GMOs, seems like a clearcut decision.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

thats retarded but i def do recall it being almost encouraged (or parents being indifferent to) to allowing ur child to get chickenpox because u were young or it was summer vacation.

measles seems a little bit differnt and worse than chickenpox so acting the same way about it combined with ur hosed believes about vaccines is child abuse that should be sought out and punished.

seriously though, gently caress everything.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sten Freak posted:

WWJCVD. What Would Jean-Claude Van Damme do?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Almost there, just need to make a bigger Costco.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Spanish Flu

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They even have a memorial wall listing kids destroyed by evil vaccines:

One kid even had the loud screaming side effect after getting the shots.

How shocking!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mariana Horchata posted:

thats retarded but i def do recall it being almost encouraged (or parents being indifferent to) to allowing ur child to get chickenpox because u were young or it was summer vacation.

measles seems a little bit differnt and worse than chickenpox so acting the same way about it combined with ur hosed believes about vaccines is child abuse that should be sought out and punished.

seriously though, gently caress everything.

my parents made me go through what i know know to be a pox party

gently caress you mom and dad

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

etalian posted:

They even have a memorial wall listing kids destroyed by evil vaccines:

One kid even had the loud screaming side effect after getting the shots.

How shocking!

If you never tested your kid for allergies, you wouldn't expect an allergic reaction. Most of these sound like allergic reactions. Except autism, which starts during pregnancy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Top City Homo posted:

poz my neg child

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Khazar-khum posted:

If you never tested your kid for allergies, you wouldn't expect an allergic reaction. Most of these sound like allergic reactions. Except autism, which starts during pregnancy.

All these dumb old broads trying to have kids in their 40s causes autism

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Top City Homo posted:

All these dumb old broads trying to have kids in their 40s causes autism
and feeding them trash and not interacting with them in any meaningful capability

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Also, if your kid breaks an arm don't take them to a doctor to get a cast.
The government puts mind control drugs in the plaster and it will seep into your child's bloodstream.

Simply rub some arnica on the affected area and it will clear right up!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
when like the internet was first starting I thought it would eliminate poo poo like this

think something is bullshit? look it up!

i did not account for the willful ignorance of a great many people

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Khazar-khum posted:

It sometimes misses stuff. gently caress Ancef.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

when like the internet was first starting I thought it would eliminate poo poo like this

The modern internet is just an extension of humanity's many many flaws such as ignorance, greed, and pettiness

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Top City Homo posted:

It made sense to have pox parties before the chickenpox vaccine. Getting it for the first time in adulthood was apparently really, really lovely and can make your balls not work.

Having a pox party *after* the invention of the chickenpox vaccine is child abuse by stupendous morons.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Monkey Fracas posted:

actually the net is way insulating

no matter what crazy poo poo you're into, you can find an echo chamber in minutes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Monkey Fracas posted:

This is why I laugh whenever some sv vc type (or fanboi) gets excited about technology saving the world

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My brother suffered brain trauma thanks to the MMR vaccine.

He fainted when he saw the needle, hit his head on the floor, and ended up with a fractured skull and a concussion. He didn't get autism, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
it just kind of wound up serving to give a soapbox to whatever crazed moron could find a way to make words appear on a screen somewhere

then yeah it is also super insulating

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Monkey Fracas posted:

it just kind of wound up serving to give a soapbox to whatever crazed moron could find a way to make words appear on a screen somewhere

Yeah we've known about that for quite some time now....

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=46

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I thought you actually DID want your kids to get chickenpox before a certain age because of the threat of shingles at later ages? I don't remember going to any pox parties, but I did get it when I was a kid because it spread like wildfire through my second grade classroom.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I thought you actually DID want your kids to get chickenpox before a certain age because of the threat of shingles at later ages? I don't remember going to any pox parties, but I did get it when I was a kid because it spread like wildfire through my second grade classroom.

You can get shingles anyway since the virus stays dormant in your nerves until it decides to pop back up later. Vaccine doesn't do that

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

pr0k posted:

It made sense to have pox parties before the chickenpox vaccine. Getting it for the first time in adulthood was apparently really, really lovely and can make your balls not work.

Having a pox party *after* the invention of the chickenpox vaccine is child abuse by stupendous morons.

yeah, for me chickenpox meant watching cartoons instead of going to school + i got a couple scars out of it

calamine lotion didn't work for poo poo at stopping the itching though

• Locked thread