Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm American, and I'm planning on moving to Ireland within the next few years, assuming I can find a job or school (I've read through the visa requirements so I'm pretty familiar with all moving will entail). Ultimately, I want to go into politics once I'm done with school entirely and have some more worldly experience. I've read the Irish Constitution, and I didn't see anything preventing foreigners from running for public office, as long as the person is an Irish citizen. Did I read that right? I know the US Constitution specifically says, for example, that only a citizen born in the US can run for President; is the Irish one the same way (in that what is in the Constitution regarding political office is law, without any other laws in addition to it), or is there some other law that is more in line with the US?

Assuming I can run for office, how does the Irish public view tattoos on politicians? In the US, I'm pretty sure they're fine if they're covered up, but I can't remember any politician making them known.

Also, how does the Irish public view candidates who are Agnostic? I know I'll be in the minority when I move, but will it affect my chances during a campaign?

I ask because I'm debating getting a tattoo with the quote "No gods or kings, only man," from BioShock on my calf, where it won't be readily visible, especially in a professional environment. This also reflects my political beliefs to an extent, as I am more of a libertarian than anything else here (I'm not sure which party that would fit into in Ireland; I still have to look into that). The BioShock series changed how I look at the world, so it's not like I'm just getting a tattoo about a game I like. I refuse to get any tattoos that don't have meaning (for example, the one I have now on my shoulder blade is the Irish harp with "There is no cure or remedy against death," on it, which reflects my love of Ireland, as well as serving as a memorial for my cousin who was murdered a few years ago). Anyways, will having a tattoo, specifically one with that phrase, bode ill for my running for office in Ireland?

As an aside, Eamon de Valera's mother is buried about 15 minutes from where I live, and he used to come here during the War of Independence if I'm not mistaken. Just a cool little connection that may help me if I'm lucky :)

TL;DR Can a foreigner, once an Irish citizen, run for political office in Ireland? How much of a factor does the religion of a political candidate play in his/her chance of winning elections? Do tattoos on politicians and candidates also affect their chances of winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i read that whole thing expecting a joke, wtf?

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
lol

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Frog Act posted:

I'm American, and I'm planning on moving to Ireland within the next few years, assuming I can find a job or school (I've read through the visa requirements so I'm pretty familiar with all moving will entail). Ultimately, I want to go into politics once I'm done with school entirely and have some more worldly experience. I've read the Irish Constitution, and I didn't see anything preventing foreigners from running for public office, as long as the person is an Irish citizen. Did I read that right? I know the US Constitution specifically says, for example, that only a citizen born in the US can run for President; is the Irish one the same way (in that what is in the Constitution regarding political office is law, without any other laws in addition to it), or is there some other law that is more in line with the US?

Assuming I can run for office, how does the Irish public view tattoos on politicians? In the US, I'm pretty sure they're fine if they're covered up, but I can't remember any politician making them known.

Also, how does the Irish public view candidates who are Agnostic? I know I'll be in the minority when I move, but will it affect my chances during a campaign?

I ask because I'm debating getting a tattoo with the quote "No gods or kings, only man," from BioShock on my calf, where it won't be readily visible, especially in a professional environment. This also reflects my political beliefs to an extent, as I am more of a libertarian than anything else here (I'm not sure which party that would fit into in Ireland; I still have to look into that). The BioShock series changed how I look at the world, so it's not like I'm just getting a tattoo about a game I like. I refuse to get any tattoos that don't have meaning (for example, the one I have now on my shoulder blade is the Irish harp with "There is no cure or remedy against death," on it, which reflects my love of Ireland, as well as serving as a memorial for my cousin who was murdered a few years ago). Anyways, will having a tattoo, specifically one with that phrase, bode ill for my running for office in Ireland?

As an aside, Eamon de Valera's mother is buried about 15 minutes from where I live, and he used to come here during the War of Independence if I'm not mistaken. Just a cool little connection that may help me if I'm lucky :)

TL;DR Can a foreigner, once an Irish citizen, run for political office in Ireland? How much of a factor does the religion of a political candidate play in his/her chance of winning elections? Do tattoos on politicians and candidates also affect their chances of winning?

loving gold

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Just remember to keep your tie on.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
this is just like that irish guy who decided to come to the US and have his kids become american politicians

"hurr durr are americans cool with catholics"

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Drink all the time and say "feck" a lot

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

very funny

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ireland is a hellhole

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i've decided to do the same, actually.
gonna try to become this guy:

so, you know, dibs.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
really really good post

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I really don't like the path the US has been headed down for quite a while now, plus I figure I don't really have anything keeping me here (few friends and not overly close with my family) and I fell in love with Ireland the minute I stepped off the plane in Shannon a few years ago. And yes, I'm 21 in my last year of undergrad. I'll be graduating in May. I figure if I'm going to make a major move, I might as well do it while I'm young. I can't be a politician in the US while living in Ireland... Haha, plus you need to be filthy rich to even think of going into politics here. But yeah, I grew up in an extremely conservative, super religious household (thus why I'm no longer Catholic; my family crammed it down my throat my whole life with no explanation of any of it) and I was constantly lectured that if I ever got a tattoo I would be no better than a common street thug. I know there's a taboo regarding tattoos here, but people are becoming more accepting of them. I just want to be sure the one I'm planning on getting next month won't screw me over in the future, even though I'm taking precautions to hopefully make it more acceptable.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i would like to hear more about how bioshock changed your life

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phoon posted:

i would like to hear more about how bioshock changed your life

I played the games though and they got me into reading more political literature, which then shaped my views into what they are now. BioShock was the starting point for me really taking time to look into it all.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Frog Act posted:

you need to be filthy rich to even think of going into politics here

lol if you think Ireland is any different

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pajser posted:

lol if you think Ireland is any different

I literally just said once I graduate I'm going to do a lot of research on it, because I literally have no free time right now. And I won't bring my "American values and systems to Ireland." I know my political views will change when I move; I just wanted to know what would closest match what I am now so I have some sort of starting point.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i need to know what the tattoo is of, before telling you if it will be a problem

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I played the games though and they got me into reading more political literature, which then shaped my views into what they are now. BioShock was the starting point for me really taking time to look into it all.

what kind of political literature did you read and what had the most influence on your decision to become an irish politician/your planned future political positions

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phoon posted:

what kind of political literature did you read and what had the most influence on your decision to become an irish politician/your planned future political positions

Yeah, I'm planning on doing more research once I graduate in May, when I'll actually have time for this. And it isn't my driving force. I've wanted to move there for years now, but now that I'm about to graduate with a degree in history, and a minor in legal studies, I've been looking at possible career paths and politics is one of them. Of course, it will depend on how my life goes once I'm there, but for now I think it's a pretty worthy goal for a career. I won't do it immediately either; like I said, I need to finish school and get some real world experience before I can do anything in the political field.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i thought ireland was an autonomous collective

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

you didnt answer my question about political literature. how are we supposed to help you formulate policies if you arent straightforward with us its like you dont even want to be king of ireland

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
not being straightforward about political policies is one of the most important parts of being a politician right after being a rich white guy

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
You're 21

This isn't going to happen

I'd be surprised if you made the permanent move to Ireland at all

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phoon posted:

you didnt answer my question about political literature. how are we supposed to help you formulate policies if you arent straightforward with us its like you dont even want to be king of ireland

Do you not read my other comments? I was leaning toward being a libertarian before the game, but once I played it I started really looking into what I believe politically. Also, I'm not a true libertarian; it's just what I think closest matches what I believe. I recognize the need for government regulation, just not as much as liberals here think we need, but also more than conservatives do. I'm right in the middle on that. I do believe in a relatively free market though, and unless there's some obscure party that believes in the extent of government regulation that I do, I'll identify as libertarian, especially considering my other views.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

yes but what political literature did you read

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

how do you feel about religion?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

basement jihadist posted:

how do you feel about religion?

I hate the South. I literally can't stand that much humidity. Plus they're all super religious, which I would rather get away from. I know that's an odd statement seeing that I want to move to Ireland, but when I've visited Ireland people haven't been very in-your-face about religion, whereas everyone I've talked to from the South is.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

Do you not read my other comments? I was leaning toward being a libertarian before the game, but once I played it I started really looking into what I believe politically. Also, I'm not a true libertarian; it's just what I think closest matches what I believe. I recognize the need for government regulation, just not as much as liberals here think we need, but also more than conservatives do. I'm right in the middle on that. I do believe in a relatively free market though, and unless there's some obscure party that believes in the extent of government regulation that I do, I'll identify as libertarian, especially considering my other views.

man you must be from D&D or something

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Frog Act posted:

I hate the South. I literally can't stand that much humidity. Plus they're all super religious, which I would rather get away from. I know that's an odd statement seeing that I want to move to Ireland, but when I've visited Ireland people haven't been very in-your-face about religion, whereas everyone I've talked to from the South is.

Hm. Well you'll be alright, I'd say go for it! :)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i cant figure out where youre copy pasting these responses from op

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phoon posted:

i cant figure out where youre copy pasting these responses from op

i'm out of ones to c/p anyway

http://np.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/2va4v8/kind_of_an_odd_question_from_a_foreigner/

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Frog Act posted:

I literally just said once I graduate I'm going to do a lot of research on it, because I literally have no free time right now. And I won't bring my "American values and systems to Ireland." I know my political views will change when I move; I just wanted to know what would closest match what I am now so I have some sort of starting point.

Your liberal use of the word "literally" has cost you my vote. Good day, sir.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

drat I was gonna say r/atheism

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i cant believe theres sincere responses

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

honestly i could barely believe bioshock libertarian guy was real but he has an extensive post history full of dumb poo poo

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Would you kindly vote for Frog Act for High King of the bog or whatever the gently caress Ireland has?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

a better idea is to move to Ireland and burn everything down until they have no choice but to change the name to Fireland

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

as the president of Fireland my first order of business is war with Iceland

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
iceland is perfectly capable of setting its self on fire tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004