Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

dang, is that for your emacs setup??

For years now, I've been using a triple pedal setup with emacs -- at first the one made by Bilbo.com, and more recently the more robust one sold by Kinesis. It has a large central pedal and a smaller one to each side, and comes pre-set to do Ctrl, Shift and Alt.

I find it makes a big difference to ease of use.

For a few months now, I've been trying to take more of the load off my hands (I have moderate RSI, which started around when the Ctrl key moved from its old place -- where Caps Lock is on most modern keyboards) and now have two triple pedals, daisychained together and mounted on a wooden board with notches cut to locate my heels unambiguously relative to the pedals.

The LH (LF?) cluster is set to Ctrl, Shift, Alt, and the right cluster to three keys I wasn't using much (on the keypad -- I have had to experiment on different machines to find which ones can be read properly with all the modifiers) and programmed those keys accordingly.

Broadly speaking, the pedals work like this:

Forward / backward
This does "dimensional navigation": there is a "current dimension", indicated by cursor color, and the big right pedal is "next" or "forward" in that dimension; shift-next is "previous", ctrl-next and ctrl-shift-next select next and previous dimensions, and alt-next and alt-shift-next move extend the selection by units of the current dimension. There are several series of dimensions available, such as cartesian (up, down; left, right; etc); structural (in/out/over sexps) and by meaning for text (words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs).

Menu / select
The right-edge pedal on the right is "menu/select", bringing up a modified text-menu for the main system menu, which can then be navigated up and down using next/previous and selected using menu/select again.

Shift-menu brings up a position-related menu (a bit like the second button of a mouse often does).

Other
The left pedal of the right set does the corresponding moves in the dimension above the one used by the big central pedal. For example, if the central pedal is moving by words, the left one will be moving by phrases, and if the central one is moving by sentences, the left one will be moving by paragraphs.

And a lot else besides -- things I use too much to go through menus for them get pedal combinations of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

graph posted:

lol youre friends are idiots

they also spent £40 on an open world zombie survival game so this is very true

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

akadajet posted:

For years now, I've been using a triple pedal setup with emacs -- at first the one made by Bilbo.com, and more recently the more robust one sold by Kinesis. It has a large central pedal and a smaller one to each side, and comes pre-set to do Ctrl, Shift and Alt.

I find it makes a big difference to ease of use.

For a few months now, I've been trying to take more of the load off my hands (I have moderate RSI, which started around when the Ctrl key moved from its old place -- where Caps Lock is on most modern keyboards) and now have two triple pedals, daisychained together and mounted on a wooden board with notches cut to locate my heels unambiguously relative to the pedals.

The LH (LF?) cluster is set to Ctrl, Shift, Alt, and the right cluster to three keys I wasn't using much (on the keypad -- I have had to experiment on different machines to find which ones can be read properly with all the modifiers) and programmed those keys accordingly.

Broadly speaking, the pedals work like this:

Forward / backward
This does "dimensional navigation": there is a "current dimension", indicated by cursor color, and the big right pedal is "next" or "forward" in that dimension; shift-next is "previous", ctrl-next and ctrl-shift-next select next and previous dimensions, and alt-next and alt-shift-next move extend the selection by units of the current dimension. There are several series of dimensions available, such as cartesian (up, down; left, right; etc); structural (in/out/over sexps) and by meaning for text (words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs).

Menu / select
The right-edge pedal on the right is "menu/select", bringing up a modified text-menu for the main system menu, which can then be navigated up and down using next/previous and selected using menu/select again.

Shift-menu brings up a position-related menu (a bit like the second button of a mouse often does).

Other
The left pedal of the right set does the corresponding moves in the dimension above the one used by the big central pedal. For example, if the central pedal is moving by words, the left one will be moving by phrases, and if the central one is moving by sentences, the left one will be moving by paragraphs.

And a lot else besides -- things I use too much to go through menus for them get pedal combinations of their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdi-eMhKfk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Timothy L. Tyler
Timothy Leonard Tyler is an American serving life in prison for possession and distribution of LSD. Wikipedia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
seriously though foot switches are a pretty good idea and i wish i had some

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
new clutch, brake pads, rotors, k120, snow brush, and usb hub. oh and an oil change for $9.99

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

Timothy L. Tyler
Timothy Leonard Tyler is an American serving life in prison for possession and distribution of LSD. Wikipedia

well, that would explain why he hasn't uploaded any videos for a while

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

tip: dont buy headphones from companies that make gaming mice

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

thread is useless without pics!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
got a hakko fx888d, now I need to attempt to fix my klipsch pro media 5.1's

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i purchased unleaded gasoline for my automobile, op

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

SO DEMANDING posted:

tip: dont buy headphones from companies that make gaming mice

counterpoint: steelseries siberia

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'd like some meze headphones but it's hard to justify $200 when the headphones I have are ok

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bought a zap mat to electrocute my cats if they try to get in the kitchen

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that sounds cruel

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ok its actually just a tiny static shock

cats are impossible to train so sometimes you just have to riddle your apartment with traps like its a video game level

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is something awful (dot com) loading like poo poo for anygoon else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

double dip posted:

thread is useless without pics!

I'll snap pic keyboard 2nyte

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

pram posted:

forums and frontpage (lol) seem fine here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kwinkles posted:

brake pads, tires

do you even bother with no seasons/winters? i mean obviously theres not much poo poo on the ground but my summers turn to hockey pucks below about 45 or 50

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

all is well on my retina 5k imac op (except its successfully loading the pages)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Flat Daddy posted:

ok its actually just a tiny static shock

cats are impossible to train so sometimes you just have to riddle your apartment with traps like its a video game level

your just trainign your cats to jump 2 feet into teh room that clearly has good poo poo in it if you dont want them to be there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

i bought a cross fountain pen it looks snazzy and writes v nice

solid

Space-Pope posted:

this arrived for me on sunday

this too

total cost: about $600

solid

Perplx posted:

got a hakko fx888d, now I need to attempt to fix my klipsch pro media 5.1's

solid

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i bought a combo lancet/extractor off amazon for this abcessy thing on my arm (like a big pimple i guess, but deeper under the skin) and the lancer is like a loving spear, it's totally not going to just pop the thing it's going to go clear through my arm and leave a 4 inch wide hole

you're disgusting

Space-Pope posted:

my headphone recommendation: samson sr850

still going great for a few years now

and yeah that is a 1/4" plug but it literally unscrews off to reveal a 3.5mm connector

no the best headphones are grado sr80s and actually the most recent thing i bought was a new set of foamy ear pads for mine because the old ones were wearing out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

Timothy L. Tyler

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i bought rice beans at the 99c store, to eat. im so loving poor due to not gettigng a computer science degree. christ *slumps into broken down office depot chair, scavenged from the dumpster behind a YOSPOSters luxury condo*

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

more than two people asked me if it was a mont blanc and im like lol wtf is that and i looked it up and its like 900 fuckin bucks for a fuckin pen lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

i bought rice beans at the 99c store, to eat. im so loving poor due to not gettigng a computer science degree. christ *slumps into broken down office depot chair, scavenged from the dumpster behind a YOSPOSters luxury condo*

the best thjngs come from poverty

Louis ck show "lucky Louie" is way
more funny than "Louie" and the biggest difference is he was poor in lucky Louie and it's about people with no money

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
soon gonna come in contact with my keyboard this is the best thing ever ever done

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

do you even bother with no seasons/winters? i mean obviously theres not much poo poo on the ground but my summers turn to hockey pucks below about 45 or 50

i have barely dot legal toyo proxes r888s on all year round

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I bought a Bic Mac.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

more than two people asked me if it was a mont blanc and im like lol wtf is that and i looked it up and its like 900 fuckin bucks for a fuckin pen lmao

yeah people who don't know anything about pens think every fountain pen is a mont blanc. it's like how they ask if every big fancy watch is a rolex because that's the only brand they know. or see also kids calling every sports car a ferrari, grandmas calling everything nintendo

cross is a p decent brand, i'm a fan of rotring myself. kaweco is good too.

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
i had a das keyboard. it was really loud and you had to move your fingers alot to get the keystrokes to register. And then about a year of use, it broke. I now use apple keyboards and they have low travel and are almost silent and they rock and they cost way less

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

StateOwned posted:

i had a das keyboard. it was really loud and you had to move your fingers alot to get the keystrokes to register. And then about a year of use, it broke. I now use apple keyboards and they have low travel and are almost silent and they rock and they cost way less

fag

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope my hands aren't as pathetic as yours then

I am wee so slightly concerned about noisy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"i want a 10keyless pos with scissor switches" -a pathetic little human being who lusts for big cocks in his tight little twink rear end. not only that, his IQ is extremely low, so low in fact that he can't solve simple problems or live independently.

Sincerely,
Smythe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i used to get apple keyboards b.c they hve a great feel and are quiet but i got tired of spending 70 dollars on them so i looked around and it turns out the cheapest logitech "business keyboard k280" feels very similar and is simple and nice lookin and i like it in general very much.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Smythe posted:

"i want a 10keyless pos with scissor switches" -a pathetic little human being who lusts for big cocks in his tight little twink rear end. not only that, his IQ is extremely low, so low in fact that he can't solve simple problems or live independently.

Sincerely,
Smythe

Why Did u sign your post twice

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobbilljim posted:

your just trainign your cats to jump 2 feet into teh room that clearly has good poo poo in it if you dont want them to be there

look at this idiot.

obviously if they jump over the mat i'll just keep buying more over and over again to cover a larger area

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 10, 2015

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Citizen Tayne posted:

I bought a Bic Mac.

not a mcrib???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have a cross pen/pencil set. it is a+ very nice.

• Locked thread