Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I bought four more gigachips of ram and now my computer wangboozles at twice the bungholiomarks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

For years now, I've been using a triple pedal setup with emacs -- at first the one made by Bilbo.com, and more recently the more robust one sold by Kinesis. It has a large central pedal and a smaller one to each side, and comes pre-set to do Ctrl, Shift and Alt.

I find it makes a big difference to ease of use.

For a few months now, I've been trying to take more of the load off my hands (I have moderate RSI, which started around when the Ctrl key moved from its old place -- where Caps Lock is on most modern keyboards) and now have two triple pedals, daisychained together and mounted on a wooden board with notches cut to locate my heels unambiguously relative to the pedals.

The LH (LF?) cluster is set to Ctrl, Shift, Alt, and the right cluster to three keys I wasn't using much (on the keypad -- I have had to experiment on different machines to find which ones can be read properly with all the modifiers) and programmed those keys accordingly.

Broadly speaking, the pedals work like this:

Forward / backward
This does "dimensional navigation": there is a "current dimension", indicated by cursor color, and the big right pedal is "next" or "forward" in that dimension; shift-next is "previous", ctrl-next and ctrl-shift-next select next and previous dimensions, and alt-next and alt-shift-next move extend the selection by units of the current dimension. There are several series of dimensions available, such as cartesian (up, down; left, right; etc); structural (in/out/over sexps) and by meaning for text (words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs).

Menu / select
The right-edge pedal on the right is "menu/select", bringing up a modified text-menu for the main system menu, which can then be navigated up and down using next/previous and selected using menu/select again.

Shift-menu brings up a position-related menu (a bit like the second button of a mouse often does).

Other
The left pedal of the right set does the corresponding moves in the dimension above the one used by the big central pedal. For example, if the central pedal is moving by words, the left one will be moving by phrases, and if the central one is moving by sentences, the left one will be moving by paragraphs.

And a lot else besides -- things I use too much to go through menus for them get pedal combinations of their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdi-eMhKfk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

Timothy L. Tyler
Timothy Leonard Tyler is an American serving life in prison for possession and distribution of LSD. Wikipedia

well, that would explain why he hasn't uploaded any videos for a while

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'd like some meze headphones but it's hard to justify $200 when the headphones I have are ok

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that sounds cruel

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

turns out, that's not the same tim tyler

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

got my keyboard! kids were excited to open package at door: they then learned it was a key board.. they were not as excited. looks good. very solid. feel very nice to type on. yet to sit down and have a good solid type on it though [doing this post in the shitter, haven't taken a poo poo since like Saturday it's a bit of an ordeal ] kinda disconcerting with the lack of markings on keys but it's like, I do know them but unlike with markings it forces u to use your instinct and yeah it works! won't trust myself making passwords on it though! heheh. pics
soon maybe

it has a dual USB cord which was surprising and slightly disappointing, one for hub and one got keyboard. it's coz u can plug keyboard into ps2 with supplied adapter for nkey roll ever I can't believe normal USB 2 can't do that or is it just the basic key Baird protocol can't? anyway I need another USB extension and the the USB hub will be fired up

its just that the basic keyboard protocol can't do more than 8 keys + modifiers. and everything uses that, for compatibility

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just sleep on the floor imo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

nyan cat song just started playing in my head

i.....i like it

I've got shine on you crazy diamond, here

though that's not the right song

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

peter jackson's dead-alive looks like a 1950s period piece, but thats just modern day new zealand

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

uh fingers and buttholes are like bacon and eggs or orange and blue,

an interesting insight into the life and mind of echi

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got a tablet this poo poo is so tyte

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh, I mean, a graphics tablet

W10 handwriting recognition is pretty good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah this is the monoprice special - I got it because some art bloggers were saying it outperformed their wacom gear. build quality is super cheap but the actual digitizer part seems really good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok I like how windows 7 handles pen input a lot more, even if it's not that different

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this tablet is replacing my mouse and keyboard god drat

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

theadder posted:

get the magic trackpad

does that work with windobws 7

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've opened wine with a wood screw and claw hammer :shrug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pf flyers (it's hard enough to find shoes that fit, at all, on my clown feet)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I bought Kerbal Space Program on Steam :jeb:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You have made the best choice of how to spend the next 600 hours of videogame time.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Necc0 posted:

i just won a $100 gift card for donating blood what should i buy myself, yospos. besides sugar cookies

something from http://www.kigukawaii.com/

• Locked thread