Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

i remember this being a video at an E3 and it seemed like it was just really boring voice recognition stuff

what was the hoax part of it?

I think hoax is a strong word. It was basically the usual Molyneux: some straight-up bullshit and some smoke and mirrors artistically arranged around a half-baked core concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
People keep forgetting.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

pete is basically the hype guy who tries to get people into shady clubs

he talks to you and its like oh okay this looks alright and then you get in and a meth head threatens to stab you.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the movies was one of those games that i really wanted to like but it had an essential lovely core i couldn't get over

Yeah I played through the campaign a bit, I think I made it as far as the 70's then went online to find a way to fully unlock sandbox mode and that was so much better, I even made a terrible movie with people from SA involving malatora.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The Movies is great concept mired by a bunch of terrible Sims managing and incredibly terrible tools for actually making your own movies.

And I think Fable 1 and Fable 2 are pretty good games, even if they don't live up to any of Molyneux's dumb claims.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Endorph posted:

dungeon keeper was cool

I've never actually played that, I feel vaguely like I've committed some sort of venal sin in not doing so

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

I've never actually played that, I feel vaguely like I've committed some sort of venal sin in not doing so

dungeon keeper 2 is also good, you should give either one a try but don't tough it out if it's too old school for you to tolerate

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
I've gotten double Molyneux'd before. Fable didn't have half the features he promised when it came out. The be any hero or villain you wanna be experience ended up being a dumb walk the line look at my deviant art character brawler, the voice acting alone made my ears bleed. I also played played Black and White 2, a god sim that has a campaign rougher than a Warcraft 3 custom map.

I was gifted Fable 2 out of a bargain bin. I got an hour in found out there was no penalty for death and a dog that finds every hidden item. Never again Molyneux, never again.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

OneDeadman posted:

The Movies is great concept mired by a bunch of terrible Sims managing and incredibly terrible tools for actually making your own movies.

And I think Fable 1 and Fable 2 are pretty good games, even if they don't live up to any of Molyneux's dumb claims.

Oh the expansion pack unlocked the camera so you could move it around which was super nice, but it still had that thing going on where it'd randomly fill out the extra slots with people in set appropriate costumes so in order to make the movie you'd want you'd have to film multiple takes of the same scene and pick the one that actually matched what you originally specified, even in sandbox mode.

Edit: ^I actually really enjoyed fable 2, man fable 3 was such a disappointment.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Trent Reznor warned me about people like him.

By being one of them?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

After the first few times Peter successfully "molyneux-ed" his games to release, I remember being impressed that he stuck to it. I guess I was a big enough "game industry" nerd to have been in on the joke from Black and White. The Fable games were all hyped as entire realities unto themselves, each more immersive than the one before.

The punchline was "Project Milo"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I bought Black and White and I bought Fable

I have given this man no more of my money.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

OneDeadman posted:

God, this so hard. It's actually really fun running your little studio and making dumb movies until you have to start micromanaging poo poo like lunch dates and trailers just to get your stars to do what you want.

I count myself lucky I got burned early on by buying Black and White. I borrowed The Movies from a friend and, sure enough, it was another great idea murdered in the execution. I was the only one of my friends that didn't get suckered by Fable. I tried to tell them, oh how I tried...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has Molyneux ever made a game where he delivered on all the features he promised? Or even come close?

Quest For Glory II posted:

How can anyone take this guy seriously after the Milo hoax?

What was the hoax involving Milo?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zombie Samurai posted:

God, this so hard. It's actually really fun running your little studio and making dumb movies until you have to start micromanaging poo poo like lunch dates and trailers just to get your stars to do what you want.

I count myself lucky I got burned early on by buying Black and White. I borrowed The Movies from a friend and, sure enough, it was another great idea murdered in the execution. I was the only one of my friends that didn't get suckered by Fable. I tried to tell them, oh how I tried...

I found it pretty strange that I couldn't hire enough janitors and had to switch people's jobs to maintain sets and keep the lots clean. There were work arounds though, you could put garbage cans (surround them with trees) around the set to cut down litter and as soon as you got the custom script writing building, get rid of the writer's building and switch out all your writer's jobs... WHICH IS BAFFLING BECAUSE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HIRE PEOPLE TO DO BASIC JOBS WITH MY MONEY.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Internet Kraken posted:

He had no plans to make an Otis.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Has Molyneux ever made a game where he delivered on all the features he promised? Or even come close?

to copy paste from wikipedia(bolding mine ):

quote:

However, the game was not present at Microsoft's E3 press briefing the following year. Further confusion arose later in the month with a statement by Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg stating that the game was not a product they were planning to bring to market, but was more of an internal tech demo.[8] This was later refuted by Molyneux who stated that he would reveal a more advanced version of Milo during his TEDGlobal talk in Oxford in July 2010. Molyneux went on to hint at difficulties in getting Microsoft to see Milo as a full game. Molyneux said "The biggest challenge for us is convincing people (Microsoft) what we're doing is actually going to work, is going to reach a new audience, is going to be an idea that people love."[9] At the TED conference in Oxford in July 2010, more footage was shown. Players can make crucial decisions in Milo's life, or smaller ones such as squashing a snail or not. During the conference it was shown that Milo can be taught how to skip stones. The demonstration also indicated that users are only able to talk to Milo when a red microphone image appeared on the screen.[10]

In September 2010, Eurogamer ran a story, citing an unnamed source, stating that work on Milo had been halted, and that the Milo tech would be used in a "Fable themed Kinect game".[11] This story was seemingly backed up by Microsoft's Alex Kipman in a November 2010 interview with Gamesindustry.biz, declaring that Project Milo "was never a product" and "was never announced as a game".[12] However, an interview with the drama director of the game was released in March. It showed part of the creation process that he had to go through and some brief sections of gameplay. Completion of the project was also hinted in the interview

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My favorite Molyneux thing is the old Fable review (I think) on the front page that twisted his bullshit about planting trees and into "the game where you could drop a seed and have it grow and kill whoever you are fighting by stabbing them with it's branches".

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Lord Lambeth posted:

Least surprising news of the year.

Spore was Will Wright. Who seems to have given up on video games altogether nowadays.

Spore broke Wright, pretty much. The amount of EA's meddling and the inability to express his vision due to real technical problems are what made him retire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Loomer posted:

Spore broke Wright, pretty much. The amount of EA's meddling and the inability to express his vision due to real technical problems are what made him retire.

That's actually pretty sad. Though I'm the fool that followed Spore for every year of its delayed development, preordered the Galactic Edition, and then had a small mental crisis when I realized only a day after getting it that it wasn't fun.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So many Molyneux memories. There was this thing in an old fable concept art about this hanged tree which had all these lanterns on it and it looked super creepy and had a little backstory written with it. People complained that cool things like that never made it into the game, but the thing was it was a tree, the hero's guild was surrounded by them and near the entrance to the guild opposite of the boast platform there it was. It was just that nobody seemed to notice it. I remember reading about project ego, which would later on become fable back in 2000, didn't come out until 2004 and was a pretty good game, just disappointing compared to the hype. Then again exact descriptions of radiant AI were used to describe skyrim's AI. Oh man I just remembered that claim that Molyneux had where farmers would put up a quest and but a hero didn't do it in time so they went and killed a troll themselves and surprised the programmers by doing a high five after their victory. Also why the gently caress did Fable 2's multiplayer restrict both players to the same camera angle?

Firstborn posted:

My favorite Molyneux thing is the old Fable review (I think) on the front page that twisted his bullshit about planting trees and into "the game where you could drop a seed and have it grow and kill whoever you are fighting by stabbing them with it's branches".

Then they put one tree you could grow in fable 2, YAY!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Black & White was the point where I swore to never listen to any of the bullshit this man is claiming. Its kind of funny that he can still pull poo poo poo poo considering how much went wrong in the past.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I've always liked Molyneux, it was fun getting excited and hyped up for his games even though they fell short.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So how does kickstarter work in this regard? Will all those poor people get their money back?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Philosopher King posted:

So how does kickstarter work in this regard? Will all those poor people get their money back?

Nope, the only thing they have to deliver on is backer rewards they promised, as far as the product is concerned you can do anything you want basically.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

The Taint Reaper posted:

He had no plans to make an Otis.

I watched that movie recently and gently caress is it dark, there is no way the stuff they did to those animals would fly these days, not to mention the live PUG PUPPY BIRTHING.

Internet Kraken posted:

There was a video way back when of an event where they showed a chick interacting with Milo and his world using the Kinect, despite standing like a foot away from the T.V. which we all know would cause the Kinect camera to flip it's poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAK8ubYtZE

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lord Lambeth posted:

Least surprising news of the year.

Spore was Will Wright. Who seems to have given up on video games altogether nowadays.

He gave up on games before Spore, which was part of the problem.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

This man is an artist and you should all be in awe.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Don't you guys remember how Milo changed our whole world?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/next-molyneux-game-a-scientific-achievement

quote:

Peter Molyneux has said his next creation will be regarded as a "significant scientific achievement".

He was chatting at the recent Microsoft event in San Francisco, where he promised all manner of innovations for the future.

"I think it's such a significant scientific achievement that it will be on the cover of Wired,"

I dont know, he sounds like a totally sane and down to the earth person to me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The front cover of Wired? My god ...

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
Let's just lynch the fucker.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Minrad posted:

At the very least it and Starbound have completely soured me to early access games and I've gone out of my way to avoid absolutely everything in early access.
What does Starbound have do with Moly? I was interested in that game when it came out, but I'd already had it with buying 'pre-release beta' games so I saw 'early access' I decided to wait until it was actually finished. Now fully a year later, ahahaha.....

Black and White though, man that game was before it's time. Precisely, before the time where you could call your game an 'in development beta' and people would still pay for it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I liked the management/build aspects of Black & White 2 and The Movies

Of course, I also never cared about the dumb poo poo Molyneux promised so I guess that's why

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Someone should link to the old Godus thread. You could really see the whole cycle, people hyped up about the game, it comes out and they still seem positive, typical hugbox with "it's only a beta guys, it'll be really good soon!" After several months and the launch of the mobile version, you could slowly see people realize they'd been had.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
no poo poo, paying for a product that does not exist based on promises alone is stupid. hah, this kind of a business model is only possible with gamers.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dyna Soar posted:

no poo poo, paying for a product that does not exist based on promises alone is stupid. hah, this kind of a business model is only possible with gamers.

Well that's an oversimplified way of thinking about it

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
well, the number of kickstarter projects that actually delivered what they promised compared to the outright failures or end products that were seriously lacking is pretty drat small. regular joe cannot tell the snake oil salesmen from the realistic projects, and thats why those projects go kickstarter instead of an established publisher. hell even professional producers gently caress up relatively often.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 10, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzTPFRITrQ

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people like to pretend the "overhype" poo poo is new with stuff like Destiny or Watchdogs but you haven't lived till you buy a Molyneux game or, since it's now on topic, Spore day loving one. Spore to this day remains probably the worst day 1 purchase I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Spore's first 2 bits were good fun. Shame the rest was a shower, though.

• Locked thread