Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
But nothing gamers do is ever cool :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

When did it start being cool to hate Peter Molyneux? Because I want to say I hated him before it was cool but I don't think I started hating him until The Movies broke my heart.

After Fable 1.

Fable 2 was the highlight of the series and was almost everything people expected from Fable 1, and ranks as one of my favorite games ever. It still didn't endear me to Molyneux.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Early access is part of a decade long vicious cycle which will result in the collapse of the pc games industry and possibly the console games industry if they ever allow purchase and play of early access titles.

It started innocuously with everyone scrambling to get into mmo beta tests and will eventually devolve into companies releasing early access titles just to remain competetive. The problem is that consumers are stupid poo poo heels that don't know better, and by allowing them to play alpha versions of a game any developer's reputation is inevitably ruined. I mean before early access was a thing how many video game projects failed to make it to release?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CountingWizard posted:

before early access was a thing how many video game projects failed to make it to release?
What's the biggest number you know?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Read this interview all the way to the end, the second-to-last paragraph is a doozy: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/13/peter-molyneux-game-designer-interview-godus

y'know what, don't even bother:

quote:

Peter Molyneux has admitted regret and culpability; he was clearly in distress throughout the interview – an interview he told us would will be his last. An hour before publication, however, we discovered that he had spoken to the gaming news site Rock, Paper, Shotgun the day before, and had given their interviewer the same impression – that he would no longer be speaking to the press. He has also spoken to at least one other site, seemingly on the same afternoon as our discussion. Another trail of broken assurances.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 13, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

EricFate posted:

Ok, I'll bite. I know why people hated 'Space Base' (buggy, dull, and abandoned before promised features were finished), and 'The Cave' was nowhere close to being Ron Gilbert's best effort, But why 'Hack and Slash'?

It's really rough around the edges. It works, but it feels like a hobby project, not a serious game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Hahaha

quote:

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Working with Molyneux is so horrible, people will leave the industry.
BUT ITS A GOOD THING!

quote:

Here’s the thing. When a developer, a programmer or an artist has been working on something for a long time, they often, especially younger people and most of the people who have left are younger people, they want to broaden their horizons. And that indeed, a few people did that. On the production side, there was Gemma, and Christine, and Matt, and they were super busy when we were releasing the Android version and the iOS version, but after we finished those the writing was on the wall and they looked around for other jobs. All of them except for Matt actually left the industry.

We have now recruited people to replace them and that’s a really brilliant thing for a studio. A studio needs to have an influx of new people,

He is completely bonkers. There are some many good quotes in that interview! He sounds like an unhinged, burnt out crackhead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I like this one:

quote:

RPS: You’re asking me to accept that you know you’ve run late on every game you’ve ever made but you were going to finish this one in a ludicrous and obviously impossible seven months?

Peter Molyneux: No, I didn’t say absolutely we’d be there, I said we’d try to finish it on this time. And why are you beating me up on these dates things? You sound like a publisher.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Zombie Samurai posted:

When did it start being cool to hate Peter Molyneux? Because I want to say I hated him before it was cool but I don't think I started hating him until The Movies broke my heart.

Black & White was the turning point, I think. Up until then, he'd done good, innovative work but after that, the flaws and :clegg: heavily outweighed the positives.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
HAHAhahhHAHAH

quote:

. It’s been three years for Bryan Henderson, why don’t you give him some of the money from the game?

Peter Molyneux: Well, because he needs to act as God of Gods.

RPS: Yeah, but he thought he was going to do that and…

Peter Molyneux: Because that is part of the deal. He needs to be God of Gods and we need to get the multiplayer in before God of Gods can–

RPS: Sure, but at this point don’t you think it would be a bit of a good faith thing to do since he’s been so badly screwed over?

Peter Molyneux: I think we’ll… We’ll, well, hmm. We’ll probably

quote:

RPS: You told Pocket Gamer that you were putting money aside for him.

Peter Molyneux: –think of something to say sorry about and I’m, you know, maybe I’m, this is not the place to announce that.

RPS: No no, not at all, but you told Pocket Gamer that the revenue was being put aside for him that he would get when the multiplayer is fined.

Peter Molyneux: Yeah, but he needs to be God of Gods before that happens.

YOU GUYS DONT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! HE NEEDS TO BECOME GOD OF GODS!! DONT YOU GET IT, THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Christ:

quote:

RPS: Your lead developer on Godus said on your forum that, “To be brutally candid and realistic I simply can’t see us delivering all the features promised on the Kickstarter page. Lots of the multiplayer stuff is looking seriously shaky right now, especially the persistent stuff like Hubworld.”

Peter Molyneux: Well, let me explain that. That was Konrad, and he actually is a backer of Godus.

RPS: A backer who pursued the job at your company because he was so dissatisfied with the state of the game. That’s what he said on your forum.

Peter Molyneux: No. That’s not the case. He actually joined us before we released the version, so that couldn’t have been the case. So Konrad is one of the main architects of multiplayer, and back in late October we – me and Jack – announcing that in November that we would be at last getting through to multiplayer. And Konrad was super excited, we were all super excited, to get on to that. And then in the first week of November our publisher called up and said, well, sorry about this, but the server system that you use called Polargy, we’re going to close down and you need to re-write the entirety of your server code that drives Godus under this new system–

RPS: Sorry, you’re saying that this is the publisher, but the PC version doesn’t have a publisher.

Peter Molyneux: Yes, I know, but you’re talking about everyone in the world playing Godus not being able to play Godus any more.

RPS: But you said that the PC version doesn’t have a publisher, but the publisher is the reason you had to take away the framework that allowed the multiplayer.

Peter Molyneux: Yeah, I know, but John, these things–

RPS: No, I’m asking you to explain–

Peter Molyneux: Why do you– Why don’t you come here for a couple of days, and do your job, and see what goes on here?

RPS: Obviously that’s–

Peter Molyneux: Because what you must realise is that doing a game in today’s world and a game that’s live is a nightmare.

RPS: I know it is. I’ve visited many studios and I know how difficult your job is. What I’m asking is, you said that the PC version is independent of a publisher, that you turned that down, but you’re also saying that the PC version can’t have multiplayer because of the publisher.

Peter Molyneux: But this team isn’t independent of a publisher. And the people who are playing on mobile, some of them are backers incidentally, aren’t independent of a publisher. One of the reasons why we took that publisher on is that they have this server technology which is used to drive the game, which they then drop this bombshell, that we have to change the technology. Unfortunately, this is absolutely true, you can ask the person who did the code here, unfortunately and sadly the team that was going to do multiplayer, then had to switch over and fix that server stuff. That’s just what happens in development. And I wish it didn’t happen in development, and I wish the world was so simple that you could predict that tomorrow’s going to be the same as today, but it’s not.

RPS: Just to clarify, five days ago Konrad wrote, “From the minute I played the alpha, I could see the direction Godus was heading in and I didn’t like it. It took half a year to develop contact with Peter personally before I was offered a design position, initially unpaid, and then another year working at 22cans to get a position there.” So just to be clear he says that he played the alpha and didn’t like it and then came to work for you guys.

Peter Molyneux: Yeah. And that’s fair enough. And he did something about it.

RPS: No, but you just told me that he started working for you before the alpha came out so that wasn’t possible.

Peter Molyneux: I think he had had a temporary– He certainly came to the studio– Let me ask. [shouting in background] Konrad!

[in distance] Konrad: Yeah?

Peter Molyneux: When did you first come to 22cans?

Konrad: [inaudible]

Peter Molyneux: December. 2013. Is that– No, that’s not before the alpha.

RPS: No, long after.

Peter Molyneux: I was wrong. But it’s not a lie.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

quote:

PETE: You can– I’ll tell you what, this is what we’ll do John, I’ll put you on Find A Friend, on Apple, and you can see exactly where I am every moment of my day.

RPS: OK, honestly Peter, I don’t have an Apple product and I don’t want to know where you are at any time.

:iceburn:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Now that is what gaming journalism looks like. I'm honestly surprised Molyneux didn't pull out as soon as it became clear they were gonna crucify him

the panacea
May 10, 2008

He can't even remember what he did at the beginning of the week. So how could he'd seen how this would turn out?

quote:

Peter Molyneux: Yeah, I’m totally committed. You, are one of the people, that will drive me out of any press interviews at all. I have done any press interviews–

RPS: Apart from the one to Eurogamer on Monday.

Peter Molyneux: [inaudible ] –about Hololens, you’re not going to have me.

RPS: You spoke to Eurogamer and Gamespot on Monday so that was a couple of interviews.

Peter Molyneux: It wasn’t Monday. It was Eurogamer and Gamespot because of the article you put forward.

RPS: That was Monday, yes.

Peter Molyneux: Was it Monday?

RPS: Yes. So there was press interviews that you recently did, you say that you don’t do them any more, you quite readily do them.

Peter Molyneux: This is not me doing press, this is me reacting to the press. I’m not going to generate any press articles. You go back and have a look. I used to phone up press and I used to invite press into the studio, we don’t do that any more.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I still think John Walker is a loving retard.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember I bought into Black and White wholeheartedly in the run up to its release. You can deform the terrain, sculpt the world to your own liking! Or, if you're more of a 'hands off' kinda deity, you can leave it to your pet, who'll be able to learn from you and carry out your wishes! And your people! Oh, your people will learn and grow too and build monuments to you and no two tribes will be the same and you can name individual tribesmen and and and!

Well, how could you not buy into that? So, I preordered the game about two months before it came out and received a free magic 8 ball emblazoned with the game's logo, which was nice. The game itself came out to kinda middling scores, but that paled in comparison to the bugs that many of us encountered, including one that slowed the game to an unplayable crawl. It wasn't uncommon, and even those of us whose PCs exceeded the specs, found we were unable to play the game at all. We were told there'd be patches and fixes and maybe even an expansion or two that would turn the game into everything we'd been promised and more! Needless to say, the patches took forever and a day to come out, and I think most of us just gave up on it. Never mind being promised the moon and stars, we hadn't even received a properly working game.

I still haven't played Black and White, but I do still own the 8 ball that came with it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

EricFate posted:

Ok, I'll bite. I know why people hated 'Space Base' (buggy, dull, and abandoned before promised features were finished), and 'The Cave' was nowhere close to being Ron Gilbert's best effort, But why 'Hack and Slash'?

Yeah I dunno about the hate for double fine, they've never asked from more money from backers, the cave and hack and slash maybe wasn't the greatest pieces of software out there but they were still ok games and did what they were announced they would.

They kind of blew it on spacebase, it was pretty lovely of them but that was not a kickstarted game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Megadyptes posted:

Even he managed to turn Molyneux into Sideshow-Bob-Rakes.gif, though, so anyone who thought Molyneux was some sort of master manipulator just got a very frank reality check.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would be fantastic if some of these journalists were that snippy towards members of the gaming industry who weren't already treated as a joke, goddamn.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Would be fantastic if some of these journalists were that snippy towards members of the gaming industry who weren't already treated as a joke, goddamn.

I think this sort of interview style only works on clowns.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ha ha ha

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the panacea posted:

I think this sort of interview style only works on clowns.

Yeah and if publishers are involved there's probably gonna be a PR guy there to pull the plug if things get hairy, like in RPS's infamous Heroes of the Storm interview

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Who in their right mind wouldn't hang up after that first question?

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
Christ that interview is brutal. The first question:

quote:

RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?
Still think he can do a lot of good if he was just a member on some team instead of in charge of his own company. Let him generate ideas somewhere and don't let him talk to anyone outside.

E:
Also:

quote:

RPS: You said yourself, that you should not have gone and focused on the mobile version until the PC version was finished. This is all very disingenuous in light of you saying that.

Peter Molyneux: No, I actually said, “I wish I hadn’t focused on,” I didn’t say I shouldn’t have done.

RPS: [Laughs]

klaphark fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 13, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't know who John Walker is or why it matters, but that RPS interview - even if it didn't show anything new to anyone who paid any attention to Molyneux in the last decade - was really really funny.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

the panacea posted:

Who in their right mind wouldn't hang up after that first question?

Someone with an ego the size of an aircraft carrier.

Also it might have sounded like a joke-y intro at that moment.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Megadyptes posted:

I agree and I've long ago fell out of love with RPS, but Walker is good for an occasional rant when he isn't being insufferable. It was fun to see molyneux squirm under the weight of his bullshit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fable 3 was pretty lame but it was fun to have an entire street filled with my various husbands and families. The best part was when my character was giving birth to my sixteenth child one of my other nobleman husbands walked in and randomly started wandering around the room looking confused.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fable 3 is the worst game I've ever paid more than 20 bucks for.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Fable 3 let me flabbergast John Cleese by dressing up as a chicken and committing bigamy on a massive scale. That was worth a very few bucks.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
"Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." - Peter Molyneux 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fable 3 had some of the most hilariously forced moral choices I'd seen in games to date, especially during that last chapter where you have to raise money to fight off some transdimensional evil that will invade by the end of the year. During that time the director of an orphanage comes up and wants you to fulfill an earlier promise to completely renovate the broken down orphanage at a pretty significant cost. You either have to do that, or go with the competing offer of some industrial stereotype to just up and convert the orphanage into a brothel for some ridiculous amount of extra income. Couldn't I just tell her "Hey, maybe we could defer that kind of thing for like half a year until Cthulu isn't actively trying to devour us?".

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Or just let me tell the Evil Advisor to gently caress off and die (and kill him myself), since he is the most evil human being in the entire lore and you have literally no reason to let him live if you aren't also an evil dickbag.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nobody remembers the absolutely horrendous "menu" alternative that you had to zone into, or that the maps were 100% useless?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
There was an article I read on PCGamer a few weeka ago where Peter warnes Microsoft about the dangers of "overpromising". I pretty much read it just to read the comments, which sure enough were people smashing their heads against their keyboards and just crushing Molyneux for the irony of HIM warning against overpromising.

And lets face it, Molyneux deserves to be torn apart by the press, because he's either a pathological liar or dumb as gently caress.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I really like this part

Rock Paper Shithead posted:

Peter Molyneux: I must have given about fifty thousand hours of interviews and I’m sure if you go back over all of them you could– The only result of this is, I’ve already withdrawn mostly from the press, I’m just going to withdraw completely from the press.

[Since this interview was recorded, Peter Molyneux has done at least two other interviews with press on the same subject, including one with The Guardian which he says will be his last.]

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

With the way he's managed to keep getting work as a game developer, something tells me he's missed his true calling as a suicide cult leader.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

There was an article I read on PCGamer a few weeka ago where Peter warnes Microsoft about the dangers of "overpromising". I pretty much read it just to read the comments, which sure enough were people smashing their heads against their keyboards and just crushing Molyneux for the irony of HIM warning against overpromising.

And lets face it, Molyneux deserves to be torn apart by the press, because he's either a pathological liar or dumb as gently caress.

Hey man Molyneux believes!

Although yes he is bad and his publicity and hype is worn away on release of games since the many that buy into it are inevitably disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

5er posted:

With the way he's managed to keep getting work as a game developer, something tells me he's missed his true calling as a suicide cult leader.

Now that you mention it, he does really look a lot like that Heaven's Gate guy.

• Locked thread