Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I'm not kidding when I say I'd love to see every last one of those you're willing to put online. Thanks for sharing, this stuff is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soopafly posted:

I'm not kidding when I say I'd love to see every last one of those you're willing to put online. Thanks for sharing, this stuff is fascinating.

100% this. Your dad took some amazing shots and the stories are the best.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DJExile posted:

100% this. Your dad took some amazing shots and the stories are the best.

Thank ya. I am, sadly, running out of the more crime/fire sort of news (or at least the most interesting ones have already been posted) so it'll be a lot more people/landscape stuff from here out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Thank ya. I am, sadly, running out of the more crime/fire sort of news (or at least the most interesting ones have already been posted) so it'll be a lot more people/landscape stuff from here out

Honestly the people ones are among the best. It's a fascinating slice of life.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

This was in a slipcase marked wrecks; it looks more like a shooting to me. Dad says it was hit and run. His memory on these is pretty ironclad, but I swear that doesn't sound right. Anyway, remember what I've said about securing the scene.
:nws:Linked due to possible NWSness; the body is covered, but a little chunk of what looks like brain matter is on the pavement :nws:

Yeah guys, just uh, stand more or less in the puddle of blood and get a good look.

Celebrity sighting time, some minor, some not so much.

This is writer and illustrator Glen Rounds, who may not be all that famous, but was a fixture when I was a kid, both around town and on my bookshelf. He and dad were pals since the early 70s since Rounds would illustrate a bit for the paper. Somewhere I have home video of when he was vacationing just down the road from us while we were vacationing in 1998.
Anyway, check him out sometime, I still find his style pretty charming and he definitely has a pretty interesting life story (how many other 80s kids ever got to meet someone who actually did real Oregon Trail poo poo, hung out with Jackson Pollock, and worked as a cowboy??). I also still have quite a few of his books autographed. This was part of a set of "we get the opinion of you, the man on the street" type things that the editor usually made the interns do.

Being around Pinehurst, golf was always big. People are always surprised when they find out I'm from there and neither play, watch, or follow golf. Most natives I knew didn't. Either way, it was still a thing that brought a handful of minor celebrities to town. Pictured here, the Golden Bear himself, Jack Nicklaus:

Nicklaus and his faithful caddy Dr. Wily

Sam Snead

When the World Golf Hall of Fame opened in 1974 it brought a few out. President Ford, for instance

He wasn't all that popular.

The Hall of Fame had a tournament every August/September that dad enjoyed working, even though he wasn't very fond of working golf tournaments or the sport itself, because it brought out some minor/not-minor celebs.

Evel Knievel, signing autographs and hanging out with the Rescue Squad (whom he spent more time with than he did on the course)

Barney Fife himself, Don Knotts. Knotts wins 2nd place in his "Nicest Celebrity" rankings; he says he was just chill as hell, joking with the blue hairs and greeting everyone with a big old aw-shucks grin, even when they were interrupting something.

Chatting with Fred MacMurray

(in case you're curious, Tiny Tim comes in first place, even though he was "shy as hell". Every time I bring a new CD-R of scans over, he bemoans the fact that he doesn't know where the negatives are of Tim serenading a family friend)

For his wedding, Tommy Burleson of NC State's 1974 NCAA Championship team came to town. He's a 7 foot 2 man-monster who drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls (just kidding, that's Roy Williams). He's better known as a christmas tree farmer nowadays). This may not be celebrity status in much of the country, but here it's a bigger deal than the NBA, NFL, and MLB put together.

I have no idea who this is, but he looks familiar...

WAIT, THAT'S IT!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Postscript: The photo of Gerald Ford doing a ribbon cutting with giant novelty scissors sums up his Presidency pretty well, I think.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Anyway, remember what I've said about securing the scene.

Yeah guys, just uh, stand more or less in the puddle of blood and get a good look.
The man closest to the camera, holding the sheet, has bare feet :stare:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

The man closest to the camera, holding the sheet, has bare feet :stare:

So? It's just blood and crucial evidence.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Random "people being people" shots, leading off with another prizewinner and personal fave (whose negative was, unfortunately, not well looked-after):

So I found out an interesting story about this one; as I said, this one was a press award First Place winner one year. Now, 35+ years later, I find out that one of the kids in the photo still calls the house on a regular basis, demanding his share of the massive fortune that resulted.

Thing is, there is no fortune, massive or otherwise...the North Carolina Press Association does not give out cash prizes. Your prize is a nice certificate, and a photo op shaking the Governor's hand alongside your editor. The only money earned by this photo was the standard weekly salary received when it was shot circa 1974. However, this kid grew up to be so completely batshit mentally ill that when he goes off his meds, he occasionally calls the house demanding his share of all that imaginary money or else he'll burn down family members' houses, and he has the FBI on his side investigating the whole thing, with everyone under surveillance.

This has gone on for years, and I never knew a thing about it until I mentioned that photo to my mother this weekend. When I asked dad about it, his only comment was "oh, yeah, him. He's crazy as hell. Schizophrenia I think. *changes TV channel*" :stare:

Anyway.

I have no idea what sparked this altercation, or why none of the guy being wrestled to the ground's friends in the background seem to care (there's 7 or 8 photos in this sequence, and they all have the same bored expression)

Fun Fact: the cops wrestling and arresting the guy are from a different town/jurisdiction, who were presumably called in because the town the photo was shot in had one cop.

Not one cop on duty at any given time, one cop, period. Full stop. Hence why flagrant rule-breaking and anarchy like the following broke out.

(that dog hates snitches.)

No clue about context on the first one, the second one is just a standard Fourth of July shot. I share it for, again, majestic hair.

The back area of the newspaper office, much much cleaner, much much better lit, and much less cluttered and scary than I remember it from my childhood. As advances in printing moved forward over the years, old equipment moved out here to stay. Some of this poo poo was pretty cool, probably very valuable to the right collector, and sadly I have no idea where any of it went after they gutted and renovated the whole place in 1998/1999.

A scene from an office Christmas party, mid-late 70s. It kind of bowls me over that people could get away with drinking at work back then, but bowls me over more that the editor can be seen in other photos just laughin' it up as they do.

One of my fave landscapes that they used on a calendar cover in 2009

I end this post with another all-too-common find in the archives: the Wonderful Creep Shot :q:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

One of my fave landscapes that they used on a calendar cover in 2009

this is great

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I end this post with another all-too-common find in the archives: the Wonderful Creep Shot :q:

It's important journalism, man!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

elgarbo posted:

It's important journalism, man!

"Daisy Dukes: Communist Plot, or Perversion for Profit? A 5-Part Investigative Series"

EDIT: Remember, it's all fun and games until you're caught

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 1, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That girl has impeccable form with her middle finger.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Portrait I liked of some random dude

Time-travelling hipster, circa 1973

Alcohol

Good 'ol Carter-era gas lines

The most majestic hair a white kid in the early 80s could have

Until next time, remember, we don't care for your kind 'round here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that is the pro-est hair on that kid

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

that is the pro-est hair on that kid

The breathtaking majesty of that hair being tossed in the light breeze cannot be captured in a still photo. Note, however, that the beauty of such a spectacle has rendered his companion unconscious.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Going through old Dad photos and this one came up, I just can't stop laughing every time I see it, at least I know my Dad kept his sense of humour bringing up his five kids:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ostriches: The Sassiest Birds

Our cat Scotty was enlisted for the Halloween photo every. single. year. The fact that he usually looked like Snoopy doing his vulture pose helped.

One of our other cats, Not Scotty (and yes that was his name) had more important poo poo on his mind.

Horses and Livestock are always a good way to jazz up a landscape

The old man hated graduation photos. Given the average student at my high school, I understand.

Also a fall staple: kids and pumpkin patches

Until next time *spit*ding*

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

More crime time. This was the dramatic conclusion to a hostage situation. This lady had spent half her day tied up in this lovely trailer, the cops manage to bust in and flush the guy out, she bolts from the residence.

Despite all this trauma, she stopped cold after a shot or two, pointed at dad, and started screaming "HE'S TAKIN' PITCHTERS OF ME!!!" at the cops.

I'm not sure how the old man found out, but Eddie Hatcher and Timothy Jacobs (two criminals who were fairly notorious in NC in the late 80s due to taking 17 hostages to protest corruption in the Robeson County Sheriff's Department and other county offices; they weren't wrong, as that county has been dirty as gently caress for decades) were at the Howard Johnson in town. Pops parked in the parking lot, told little 10-year-old me in the back seat to lay down and be quiet, and snapped off a couple of creep shots.

Not really a crime, but a suicide. The proprietor killed himself with a single shot to the temple; the part-time employee who found him was a recovering alcoholic. She didn't just fall off the wagon that day, but threw herself off and never got back on. I pondered whether or not to post the photo of the body, because it's weird and a little haunting (my sister says it's "creepy as hell"...were it not for the handgun in his lap and blood coming down the side of his head, you would think he was taking a ridiculously peaceful nap. I decided against it because even though it was 40+ years ago he probably still has family who knew him around and it feels a bit skeevy.

Dead body? Nope, drunk dude.

Don't know the deal here.

Up in pottery country

Our next door neighbor in 1982, when out of nowhere at the end of March we got 8 inches of snow (which is just plain weird for the area)

I just play "Copperhead Road" while scrolling through these.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't know who has the rights to these photos (your dad or the newspaper) but I'd buy a book of them... call it "Crime Scenes and Creepshots - 25 Years of Small-town Photojournalism"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know who has the rights to these photos (your dad or the newspaper) but I'd buy a book of them... call it "Crime Scenes and Creepshots - 25 Years of Small-town Photojournalism"

loving seriously. I love all these stories.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They definitely deserve a more archival treatment than a Dorkroom post. I'd buy a copy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

We're up to 47 technically, but enough chunks of the archive are missing in action (or outright destroyed; he didn't used to keep the negatives so pre-1972 is mostly a wash...when I chided him for this, he responded that he had no idea at the time that 40+ years later he would regret not cataloguing things better, much less have half an autist of a son that wanted to scan the complete thing) that 25 is probably more accurate.

I did once ask him about rights, suggesting that he do a book (a book of landscapes alone would be a best seller amongst local old farts) and all he could do is shrug; when he started in 1968, that wasn't the sort of thing a small-town paper really concerned itself with or worried about. When they were bought in 1997/1998, there was probably something in whatever paperwork he had to sign with the new company. I wonder if they only have the rights to the published images or everything, for that matter.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So, can I post Cool Mum Pics here also?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

elgarbo posted:

So, can I post Cool Mum Pics here also?

Absolutely.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is a self portrait of my mother, shot about 1970 as an eighteen year old.

I knew my mother was a little bit into photography; my whole life she's been cracking out the SLR (or, more recently, DSLR) and forcing her family members to pose awkwardly at Christmas time, during birthdays, at tourist attractions, etc. Apparently, before this descent into family documentation, she took rad pictures of awesome and interesting things.

For example, Sydney school life in the very late 1960s.

As a young woman, she used to travel. Apparently, while she was there, she'd take the sorts of sick Kodachrome deadpan landscape shots that would make her son kinda jealous 40 years later. Here's a few shots of Fiji.

This, I assume, is a typical gentleman of the early 70s toting his new Fijian-bought cassette recorders. Those certainly were the days...

Her travels weren't only to tropical Pacific nations, though. She also used to enjoy road trips. I believe in these photos, she was on the way to Coffs Harbour when she encountered a flooded highway. I can only assume that's Elvis standing on the right of the first photo.

This is just the first few, from a box overflowing with Kodachrome slides. I'm a little bit excited to keep digging through them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keep digging and post more, those are cool as hell

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Here's a slice of life from the 70's in Perth and Melbourne, hopefully there a little bit interesting:

Crazy Uncle:

Dad's sweet Torana, 3rd one in the state, which he rolled at some point:

Rad hair all round:

Smashing some Emu Export while doing burn outs in the dunes:

Parents first home I think, just gotta wait for the neighbours:

Smashing more beers, and getting in on that cigarette advertising:

The Uncle who took a lot of these shots with his Pentax ME Super, which he handed on to me, which still works!:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is absolutely my favourite thread. Australia in the 70's was rad.

Spedman posted:

Crazy Uncle:

This would make for an excellent avatar.

My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago, and as part of the services my cousin put together nearly 200 pictures from her life and her close relatives. These aren't mine, per se, but I thought some sweet old-timey fashion choices would fit in around here.

My grandmother, Reta, wearing Dazzle Camo for some reason.
Reta late 30's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

My grandparents with their new car, late 1930s. He smoked a pipe pretty much his entire life.
Marshall and Reta late 30's 5 by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

A colourized photo - I'm curious how this was done.
Reta and unknown friends 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

These facial expressions crack me up.
Unknown Reta Leyland 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

My favourite picture from the set - Grampa being ultra-cool with his cousin (said cousin is still alive and actively farming at the age of GoddamOld - I think he's about 95).
Leyland and Marshall 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

My grandfather was a teacher and eventually the principal of the local high school.
Teachers Party 1950's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

Everyone in my family plays cards. Not everyone has such amazing taste in shirts.
Mississauga with Dodds by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

Requisite shameful picture of myself. I'm the idiot in blue.
visiting England 1989 by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

buncha goddamn fantastic shirts ITT

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

My favourite picture from the set - Grampa being ultra-cool with his cousin (said cousin is still alive and actively farming at the age of GoddamOld - I think he's about 95).
Leyland and Marshall 1930's by Craig Brummell, on Flickr

Everything about this rules. It's like a trophy photo, only instead of a dead Bonnie and Clyde or whatever, there's a bike. That bike won't trouble you good citizens any more.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

elgarbo posted:

This, I assume, is a typical gentleman of the early 70s toting his new Fijian-bought cassette recorders. Those certainly were the days...

Just googled "Hitachi TRQ-222" and that's one chunky cassette recorder (the two parts on the back are detachable speakers).

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

spookygonk posted:

Just googled "Hitachi TRQ-222" and that's one chunky cassette recorder (the two parts on the back are detachable speakers).

That's rad! I can only assume he was planning on getting two tapes going in tandem for some some quadraphonic stereo goodness.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

elgarbo posted:

That's rad! I can only assume he was planning on getting two tapes going in tandem for some some quadraphonic stereo goodness.

I figured he'd put a tape in one and wire it into the other to make copies.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I figured he'd put a tape in one and wire it into the other to make copies.

And so a cassette piracy empire was born.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

elgarbo posted:

That is way harder than you can ever imagine. I wasted my time trying so you don't have to.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So, my mother. In case you forgot her, here's a photo of her posing near a disabled man.

On the last day of school, students in Year 12 celebrate the infamous 'muck up day' where they dress up and play pranks around the school. This was no different in the late 60s...

(Yessss... look at those Kodachrome colours....)

...although apparently my mother's cohort set fire to the school? Or is that steam?

Anyway, they made a helluva mess.

Anyway, our story continues back in Fiji. Everything looks gloriously tropical, and my mother takes charming abstract poolside shots.

The locals put on demonstrations for gawking, camera-toting tourists...

Meanwhile, all of the tourists strut around in their hideous 70s fashion disaster outfits, trying to look beautiful.

(Nice Speedos!)

And weirdly, here's a bonus shot from Fiji of the most bronzed Aussie ever, dressed as a British naval officer, and his girlfriend as a flamenco dancer.

Time to depart Fiji now, where I leave you with two images that pretty much sum up the Australian experience:

And that's that for my second installment... still have one final batch of slides to dig through.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those rule and I'm looking forward to more

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You need this printed and framed forever fyi

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
My aunt scanned a whole bunch of family photos a year or two ago - unfortunately they seem to all be uncompressed .bmp files, so I'm going to need to convert them to .jpg before uploading a bunch.

I want to post some pictures from Expo '67 (Montreal) because some of the architecture is drat cool. A taste here: masses and masses of concrete, everywhere.
18 Expo Sign Amy Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

unpacked robinhood posted:

You need this printed and framed forever fyi

I agree. Hopefully I'll be able to do that this fall when I'll have a chance to visit my cousin and get the original (probably print, little chance of a negative).

42ndtourist, YES! keep 'em coming. Expo 67 is such a huge deal still today in Montreal, I'd love to see some pics from the event.

• Locked thread