Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
Here's a chart ranking how susceptible different careers are to automation in the near future: http://qz.com/202312/is-your-job-at-risk-from-robot-labor-check-this-handy-interactive/

Is your job on it? Have fun dying with your family in the poor people concentration camps, meat ape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why bother making the robots shaped like skeletons if they're just gonna walk around with no skin on? Might as well just build normal robots. They'd be easier to build and less vulnerable.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Why bother making the robots shaped like skeletons if they're just gonna walk around with no skin on? Might as well just build normal robots. They'd be easier to build and less vulnerable.

So people are put at ease by the fake humans cleaning toilets and selling them chicken mcnuggets. Also, because metal skeletons will be scarier camp guards when the Great Cleansing happens.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I guess
also, lol at the idea that private detectives and investigators have anything more than a 0% of being automated. How would a robot PI even work? Nobody's gonna get shaken down for answers by an Asimo in a fedora.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I guess
also, lol at the idea that private detectives and investigators have anything more than a 0% of being automated. How would a robot PI even work? Nobody's gonna get shaken down for answers by an Asimo in a fedora.

uhhhh if you watch the documentary Blade Runner you will clearly see that robot detectives are capable and handsome

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A misanthrope posted:

uhhhh if you watch the documentary Blade Runner you will clearly see that robot detectives are capable and handsome

He wasn't a robot the ending was ambiguous!

Also Total Recall didn't get lobotomized at the end and the top fell down at the end of Inception.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

the top fell down at the end of Inception.

Yeah the top fell down and it turned out Christopher Nolan has been an emotionless robot this whole time. I remember how the movie ended.

PeenCommander
Jun 24, 2008

Top left quadrant of the chart crew reporting in, get owned plebs

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

PeenCommander posted:

Top left quadrant of the chart crew reporting in, get owned plebs

Your trip to the camps is only delayed, mammal.

I'm here but I'm not sure if that's bad or good (because journalists are dumb and bad at math):

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A journalist, huh? Suddenly it all comes together. Did you write this article, A Misanthrope?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

A journalist, huh? Suddenly it all comes together. Did you write this article, A Misanthrope?

uhhhhh

ERROR ERROR ERROR MUST ESCAPE

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In the book player piano the people are kept on government assistance to do nothing because its cheaper that way what with the automation of practically everything. People losing their jobs en masse would start going nuts not for lack of income but for lack of purpose.

Some of course, would thrive on this model

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
ill fix it the same way i fix every other problem in my life

with heavy drinking

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

moose face posted:

In the book player piano the people are kept on government assistance to do nothing because its cheaper that way what with the automation of practically everything. People losing their jobs en masse would start going nuts not for lack of income but for lack of purpose.

I keep seeing an argument in, like, Wired articles about the coming job apocalypse. "We'll have so much leisure time! Arts will flourish!" And I swear it's the line corporate shill politicians are practicing for when 75% of the human workforce is laid off.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

moose face posted:

People losing their jobs en masse would start going nuts not for lack of income but for lack of purpose.

I would gladly spend all day watching the TV and playing vidya games on a government stipend. "Purpose" can gently caress itself.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dennis System posted:

I would gladly spend all day watching the TV and playing vidya games on a government stipend. "Purpose" can gently caress itself.

You say that now, but what happens when even playing video games is automated?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Also, you bring up an interesting point. Player Piano was written before the advent of interactive video games. I wonder if the population would have been so restless if they'd had infinite time to play Minecraft.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Applewhite posted:

You say that now, but what happens when even playing video games is automated?

Eh, most AAA games these days pretty much already are automated.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Eh, most AAA games these days pretty much already are automated.

I know, right?
I haven't played a AAA game since Wolfenstein: New Order.
I've been having lots more fun with Shovel Knight, Super Time Force Ultra and Probability 0

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Also, you bring up an interesting point. Player Piano was written before the advent of interactive video games. I wonder if the population would have been so restless if they'd had infinite time to play Minecraft.

Better idea: Legalize narcotics. Bring back opium dens and that will eat up a lot of time.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Back in my day we wasted all our time doing menial bullshit for poo poo pay

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

"Back in my day we wasted all our time doing menial bullshit for poo poo pay," Fried Watermelon told his grandchildren as Google™ brand automatons prodded everyone into the kill chute.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
my meager job is all i have in life if it gets automated i'll do the world a favor and kill myself

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A misanthrope posted:

Here's a chart ranking how susceptible different careers are to automation in the near future: http://qz.com/202312/is-your-job-at-risk-from-robot-labor-check-this-handy-interactive/
near 0%

:human being:

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
also lol what a coincidence management won't get automated

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
How does the kill chute work A misanthrope

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jobs that aren't eliminated will still be downsized because when a rack with a few servers replaces an entire floor of white collar workers they tend to have no money to afford lawyers and healthcare and poo poo.

If you're in one of these jobs have fun trying to beat a thousand candidates for the same lovely job.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 10, 2015

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

How does the kill chute work A misanthrope

The Google™ brand kill chutes will look Like this but the people overseeing it will have ball pits and laser tag and poo poo in their offices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzBvT2v3PM

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lol good luck making a robot that tends to the balls w finesse

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ill just open up a robot whorehouse with custom whore robots and make a living there

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Opened chart.

Saw Registered Nurses and Pharmacists at the 0% side of the chart.

Closed bad chart.

Applewhite posted:

I guess

Legal discovery is already something which has seen automation. Robot PI would work through technological means like tracking your location via phone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Atoramos posted:

Opened chart.

Saw Registered Nurses and Pharmacists at the 0% side of the chart.

Closed bad chart.

Legal discovery is already something which has seen automation. Robot PI would work through technological means like tracking your location via phone.

How's it gonna shake you down, though?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

with the shake-down arm?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
so what's the plan assholes, revolution or death?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

prob jo more often

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A Misanthrope's vision of the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTgoRR3tbk

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mein Eyes! posted:

Gooncamp 2036

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Mein Eyes! posted:

Judging by the amount of poo poo the middle class accepts, and how we get more poo poo shoveled on us every day, I'd say we will continue to eat our poo poo sandwich until we choke on it. Especially if the job losses are blamed on minorities somehow.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Physical therapy looks like a good choice.

Mein Eyes! posted:

Ain't gonna be no revolt. :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbp-i9UgWlg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

sign this petition to protect wolf people jobs!!!

• Locked thread