Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alexander.

Walked out far far too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Blistex posted:

Throwing in another vote for Alexander. I made it to the end, but it was a hell of an ordeal. By about the 3/4 mark at least half of the theatre had already walked out and the rest of the audience had pretty much checked out mentally and were just waiting for the lights to turn on. The strange thing was that it seemed Colin Farrell's boredom with the role mirrored my own and increased in step as the movie progressed.

Every aspect of that freaking movie was phoned in.

Oh thank God I thought I was the only one.

I could put up with the weird sexual poo poo between Angelina and Colin (it was bad mostly because it seemed forced and Colin acted like she was shanking him in that scene). I lost all respect for the movie when Colin who is suppose to be Alexander a competent and intelligent general looks over his shoulder after he completes this flanking maneuver on horseback to lure the enemy in and Colin's eyes widen like he is in shock. gently caress THAT. This was a plan you strategized five seconds earlier and its working and Alexander is one of the most competent generals in history you shouldn't look loving SURPRISED like a goddamn child. Oh my loving God I was so pissed.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 10, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
double post

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bruce Kison posted:

Kingdom of Heaven

If you watched the original in theaters or on TV then I agree, the movie seemed to lack a great deal of character motivation and jump around from scene to scene wildly.

Then I saw the Director's Extended Cut edition one holiday.

quote:

An extended director's cut was released on December 23, 2005, at the Laemmle Fairfax Theatre in Los Angeles, unsupported by advertising from 20th Century Fox. This version has been widely praised; at approximately 45 minutes longer than the original theatrical cut, it is reportedly the version Ridley Scott originally wanted released to theaters. The DVD of the extended Director's Cut was released on May 23, 2006. It comprises a four-disc box set with a runtime of 194 minutes, and is shown as a road show presentation with an overture, intermission, and entr'acte. The first Blu-ray release omitted the roadshow elements, running for 189 minutes, but they were restored for the 2014 Ultimate Edition release.[44] Scott gave an interview to STV on the occasion of the extended edition's UK release, when he discussed the motives and thinking behind the new version.[45]

The Director's Cut (DC) has received a distinctly more positive reception from film critics than the theatrical release, with some reviewers suggesting it is the most substantial Director's Cut of all time[46] and a title to equal any of Scott's other works,[47] offering a much greater insight into the motivations of individual characters.

Turns out the movie was butchered with bad editing by the studio.

Try watching the extended cut. It is a way better movie and actually redeems Orlando Bloom's acting somewhat. If you don't like the original story/setting it likely will not do much to sway your opinion though.

• Locked thread