Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

The world is coming to a close.

Here, at the end of all things, a group of extraordinary people has been gathered. It is up to them to decide the fate of what comes After. A crossroads lies before them, with two paths branching off into the distance.

Which path will they choose? Or will they find their own?

Only time will tell.

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei Mafia!

This game is made for 25 players. Please note that there will be some unconventional mechanics, and as such it's probably not the greatest game for a newbie to join!!

All the standard mafia rules apply, i.e. don't toxx, don't post after the hammer unless told you can, don't edit your posts, etc. If you're unfamiliar with or unsure of the rules, there's a handy list on the SA Mafia wiki, right here

The flavor of this game is built such that it has little or nothing to do with alignments, so if you know anything about the games and their characters it probably has no bearing on their alignment!!

Player List:
  1. Amnistar
  2. Asiina
  3. AtrociousToaster
  4. Big Nothing
  5. bowmore
  6. Dugong
  7. Ernie.
  8. EXAKT Science
  9. fiery_valkyrie / Murmur Twin
  10. Hal Incandenza
  11. HiipFire
  12. Little Mac
  13. Meinberg
  14. Met
  15. Mills
  16. mr.capps
  17. Pinterest Mom
  18. Poison Mushroom / wall monitor
  19. Quidnose
  20. Rarity
  21. Somberbrero
  22. tithin / Rurea
  23. Tremendous Taste
  24. True and Real
  25. weekly font

Macca and you: An explanation of the Macca mechanic

Macca is the currency of the demonic world, and has many uses! At various points in the thread, vendors or demons may appear, and you can use your macca to either purchase their wares or recruit them, respectively. Each player gains 5,000 Macca per night, so save and spend wisely! Vendors will offer a variety of wares at set prices, and will leave once all items have been purchased. Demons may approach the players in two different ways: they can auction themselves off, or they can ask the players for offers. In the case of a demon auction, it is possible to bid more Macca than you currently possess, but doing so is very risky, as the demon may become very cross with you if you are unable to pay up! When offers are taken, it's possible to offer items a player possesses in addition to Macca, and the demon will accept the most valuable offer determined by the amount of Macca offered + the value of the item offered. If the player offers an item, they also LOSE that item as it is taken by the demon as payment.

It IS possible to gift your Macca to another player, however doing so is a night action and therefore CANNOT be done at the same time as using any demons, items, or powers you may possess that also function as night actions.

THE DEAD

Somberbrero (Mastema), Neutral-aligned Vanilla was slain Day 1!
Amnistar (Serph), Neutral-aligned One-shot Vigilante was smote out of existence, Night 1!
Mills (Ambassador Thorman), Law-aligned One-shot Vigilante was smote out of existence, Night 1!
Tremendous Taste (Navarre), Law-aligned Vanilla Goon has was smote out of existence, Night 1!

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

I would like to play.

Last time we were in a game together you shat the place up really bad and I'm sorry but I don't want that to happen in this game so I'm gonna go with "sorry but no"

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Alright, looks like that filled it up! I'll get everything set up on my end and then your PMs should go out tomorrow morning :toot:

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

MildManeredManikin posted:

Once again I don'w what to Play this game, but I need this question answered or I will assume the answer is yes.

I would prefer you not but technically I have no real power to stop you, so !!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

bowmore posted:

Chic you ignored my questions :(

I thought you were just being silly!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

PMs will be going out later than planned due to some unforeseen things coming up, game should start tonight assuming everything goes well

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Ok so the comp crashing was more severe than I thought, and I can't recover the file with the PMs I wrote out off the hard drive :\

So, two options: flavorless PMs sent now (with the flavor sent in the morning after I get a chance to rewrite it), or waiting until tomorrow morning and getting the whole PM at once.

Which do ya'll prefer?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

also that's gonna get annoying if you keep doing it once the game starts MMM so please knock it off

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Ok then I am gonna close the thread and send the flavorless PMs out, and I'll reopen it when they've all gone out.

Again, sorry about this, you should have your PM flavor tomorrow sometime

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Alright, that should be everyone except Hiipfire who has no PMs and whose contact information I do not know (get that to me asap pls)

And now, a quick word about Macca:

What is Macca?

Macca is the currency of the demonic world, and has many uses! At various points in the thread, vendors or demons may appear, and you can use your macca to either purchase their wares or recruit them, respectively. Each player gains 5,000 Macca per night, so save and spend wisely!

The game will begin once ~half of you have confirmed

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Mills posted:

I refuse to confirm.

Meanwhile, I note the presence of Meinberg x 2 in the player list.

oh hell are you KIDDING me

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Mills posted:

Did you also send him 2 roles?

nah i just typo'd but it is v embarassing!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Probably this is enough confirmations

Day 1 begins now, and the deadline is Monday, Febuary 16th at 10PM EST!

Normally days will be 72 hours or less but since we have a weekend coming up I'll give you guys a long day 1

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

A twisted figure emerges from the ruins of the city around you. A demon has stumbled upon your group! You ready for attack, but it speaks to you instead:

"Look, I'm gonna be frank wit' yous guys, I'm in some deep debt and need some Macca quick. I'm auctioning myself off, best offer gets my allegiance, yeah?"

The demon Jirae Kwancha has offered itself for auction! The auction will last until 4 PM Eastern Standard Time, and the starting bet is 3,000 Macca.

Place your bids with ##bid [amount]. Good luck!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

HiipFire posted:

what happens if I match ernie's bid?

Nothing, alas.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

CT are we getting part 2 of our role PMs any time soon? Also ##vote Ernie because maybe we can steal his money.

Yeah you'll get the flavor portion tonight probably, maybe tomorrow Idk it depends on how much time I have

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

For some reason the phone app was being a butt so I couldn't post this when the auction actually closed but:

The demon Jirae Kwancha has been won by Ernie!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Also, since it was asked of me in a PM I will share this bit of information with the thread: it IS possible to bid more Macca for a demon than you actually possess! However, be careful: should you end up winning an auction having bid more than you can pay, the demon may become awfully cross with you...

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Quote is not edit! That said, the following has been added to the OP and explains the Macca mechanic in more detail:

Macca and you: An explanation of the Macca mechanic

Macca is the currency of the demonic world, and has many uses! At various points in the thread, vendors or demons may appear, and you can use your macca to either purchase their wares or recruit them, respectively. Each player gains 5,000 Macca per night, so save and spend wisely! Vendors will offer a variety of wares at set prices, and will leave once all items have been purchased. Demons may approach the players in two different ways: they can auction themselves off, or they can ask the players for offers. In the case of a demon auction, it is possible to bid more Macca than you currently possess, but doing so is very risky, as the demon may become very cross with you if you are unable to pay up! When offers are taken, it's possible to offer items a player possesses in addition to Macca, and the demon will accept the most valuable offer determined by the amount of Macca offered + the value of the item offered. If the player offers an item, they also LOSE that item as it is taken by the demon as payment.

It IS possible to gift your Macca to another player, however doing so is a night action and therefore CANNOT be done at the same time as using any demons, items, or powers you may possess that also function as night actions.

I had planned to introduce the different facets of the mechanics over the course of the day but I see now from the amount of questions I've gotten that was poorly thought out on my part, and I apologize.

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 14, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Met posted:

Hey Chic, will we know who sent the money?

Yes.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

The day drags on, and the group continues to bicker as they traverse the ruins of this World. They come upon a man, sitting at a small stand with several items displayed before him. The man introduces himself as Johnny. You ask him why he would possibly be selling items in a mostly-uninhabited ruin. He answers:

"The shop is wherever I say it its.

That's how serious business works, and I've been watching you--this is definitely serious business. Remember that."

MAD MART is now available to purchase from, and will be for the next 24 hours! You may purchase items by using the command ##purchase [item]

The merchant has the following items for sale:

A bright red stone [30,000 Macca]
    A dull purple stone [20,000 Macca]
    A bright purple stone [20,000 Macca]
    An icy blue stone [30,000 Macca]
    A bullet inscribed with a small skull and crossbones [10,000 Macca] (3 available) (0 left)
    A ring with a missing gem slot [5,000 Macca]

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 16, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Murmur Twin replaces fiery_valkyrie!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Dr. Hurt replaces Quidnose!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tensions within the group were beginning to build. The responsibility of determining the fate of what would come weighed on their minds, and they knew that among them lay individuals who had twisted designs on what would be.

"Somber is against humanity!" one cried, "Surely he wants to impose his own vision onto the World, not restore what Was"

As the day drug on, more and more of the group became convinced that Somber was an enemy of Neutrality, and they grew angry. Finally, they confronted him.

"We know your plans for the World, Somber," they accused.

"No! I have wanted nothing but to help humanity move forward," Somber cried. But it was too late. Incensed beyond all reason, the group grabbed Somber and beat him for his perceived crime. By the time their rage had dulled, Somber was little more than a bloody smear upon the cracked pavement of the ruined Tokyo. It was only then that they realized their error.

Somberbrero (Mastema), Neutral-aligned Vanilla was slain Day 1!

Please have your night actions in within 24 hours! Any actions not submitted within those 24 hours will be considered forfeit.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Dawn. Dreary, dusty, and desolate. As the sun rises, the party reconvenes.

Three of them have gone missing in the night. After searching, you find scattered ash creating imprints of the fallen.

Amnistar (Serph), Neutral-aligned One-shot Vigilante was smote out of existence, Night 1!
Mills (Ambassador Thorman), Law-aligned One-shot Vigilante was smote out of existence, Night 1!
Tremendous Taste (Navarre), Law-aligned Vanilla Goon has was smote out of existence, Night 1!

It is now Day 2! Deadline is Friday, February 20, at 10 PM EST!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Poison Mushroom has been replaced by Wall Monitor!

now to find one for tithin...

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

[i]A woman wearing fine robes approaches the party. She's clearly non-human, but doesn't seem hostile. Wary, you try to circle around her, but she speaks

"Travelling alone in these ruins is so BORING. I am willing to accompany one of you on your journey. Of course, I don't want to come along just to feel unwanted, so first you will need to prove how much you want my assistance..."

The demon Lady Xi Wangmu has approached the party, and is accepting offers!

Whomever presents the best offer will win the demon's loyalty. Remember, when offering you can present both items AND macca to the demon! To offer, use ##offer (x) Macca/(item name)

Lady Xi Wangmu will be accepting offers until 9 PM EST!

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 20, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

That was w/ bidding.

The demon takes the highest offer, and if that's a tie it takes the first instance of said highest offer

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Hal Incandenza has won the demon Lady Xi Wangmu!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Rurea replaces tithin!

Also the OP is now completely updated w/ deaths and such, sorry for the delay on that to whoever asked for it

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 20, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Arguing takes it's toll. Everyone was indecisive - how could they know who to trust? Were there more of YHWH's pawns among them, and had Lucifer's minions also infiltrated their ranks? None new the answer, and this made the group uneasy.

Until the end, they wavered - "It's Little Mac!" they cried, "No, it's Ernie!" "But what if it's capps tho??" - but at last they singled it down to Ernie.

"He must be a puppet of YHWH! You see how he stood by the others!"

At last, the group seized him, dragging him up the stairs of one of the few still-standing buildings left in Tokyo, before flinging him from the rooftop. A paper fluttered out of his pocket as he fell, confirming his orders from the Heavens. The party had chosen well, this night.

Ernie (Midori Komaki), Law-aligned Vanilla Goon has been executed Day 2!

Please have your actions to me by PM within the next 24 hours! Remember, if I don't have your action by then it will be considered FORFEIT.

Also, it's been brought to my attention that AtrociousToaster hasn't posted ONCE since the start of Day 2. This is absolutely unacceptable to me. Normally I like to give some leeway re: lurking, but he was prodded D1 and hasn't contacted me with any reason why he's been unable to post, so I'm not going to tolerate it any further. AT, if there was a legit reason that you couldn't post then I'm sorry, but man this ain't fair to the other players

AtrociousToaster (Sera), Law-aligned Roleblocker has been MODKILLED Day 2!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Something has happened and though about half of you have your night results, the rest of those + the thread reopening has been delayed until tomorrow morning, sorry about that!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Another dawn rises. Today, another three have been wiped from the playing field - well, two personalities in one body plus another person, at least. Still a trying cost. You console yourselves with the fact that one of the dead seems to have been a Lucifer worshiper, so the deaths of the others are certainly not in vain.

Dr. Hurt (Nemissa), Chaos-aligned Lover was smote from existence, night 2!
Pinterest Mom (Hitomi), Neutral-aligned Lover was smote from existence, night 2!
wall monitor (Louis Cyphre), Neutral-aligned Empowerer was smote from existence, night 2!

UGH sorry for the horrendous delay! Day 3 begins now, with deadline being Thursday, February 27 at 10 PM EST!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

HEY HEADS UP

I'm getting tired of how lurky this game is getting, so I'm gonna say you guys have to have more posts than me+votefinder+10 by the end of the day or I will modkill you. If it ends the game then tough, but I'm getting kind of sick of this ya'll.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

HUSH

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

An ominous crackling noise is heard, and the group watches in awe as Asiina strikes HiipFire down in an incredible display of power!

Hiipfire (Isebeau), Neutral-aligned vanilla has been killed, Day 3!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

You approach an odd sight - a bearded man in long blue robes is standing on a small stage, muttering incantations and drawing strange symbols around two demons, each standing within a pentagram. You ask him what in the world he's doing.

"Why, have you never heard of fusion? My good folks, fusing demons is the way to go! Sure you only have one demon where you used to have two, but think about how much stronger that demon is! Here, I'll even sell you the result of the fusion I'm conducting right now as proof!"

The man, who's name you learn is Mido, goes on to explain that he anticipates the outcome of the fusion to be the Herald Gabriel, and he's willing to auction off the demon with a minimum bid of 30,000 Macca.

If you wish to bid on the outcome of Mido's fusion, you may use the command ##bid (x amount of Macca). The bidding will last until 5 PM EST!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

For the record when I said "end of the day" I meant game day, and if it ends early I'm gonna give people some extra leeway.

I am not a total tyrant!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Since EXAKT rescinded their bid (though they later changed their mind re: the modkill), the demon instead goes to the second-highest bidder, Diqnol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Rarity posted:

Guess which mod forgot to remove Hiip from votefinder? :v:

:redhammer:

Shucks, knew I'd forgotten something! Anyway flip(s) coming in a bit, once i double-check who's under the threshold (58 posts, yowza)

• Locked thread