Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

do you see the world more as Rust or Marty?

For me, I agree "the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

How 'bout you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGP9gOLEew

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely op I am a sexy alcoholic existentialist weirdo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i've always felt like more of a background character. an extra that shows up a few times, maybe in a suit, or in overalls, depending on the context, you know.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I'm Marty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z113cALjgl0

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

moose face posted:

I think you and I can come to an agreement of sorts.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

moose face posted:

same but unironically

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

time is a flat circle

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm more of a Nic Pizzolatto in that I plagiarize poo poo to trick people into thinking I'm smarter and more interesting than I really am and get super defensive when people make fun of my tryhard edgy nihilist mary-sue

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

I'm more of a Nic Pizzolatto in that I plagiarize poo poo to trick people into thinking I'm smarter and more interesting than I really am and get super defensive when people make fun of my tryhard edgy nihilist mary-sue

this isnt the itt pseudo intellectual thread

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

That show was really good until it turned out it was actually really bad

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Seizure Robot posted:

That show was really good until it turned out it was actually really bad

yeah episode 7 and 8 and whaaat no :(

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Was on the edge of my seat that episode.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

this isnt the itt pseudo intellectual thread

For people who thought Cohle's philosophy was simply hogwash, be aware that you're calling Arthur Schopenhauer and Friedrich Nietzsche hogwash. Just be aware of that. That is not, in fact, a college freshman stoned eating a pizza talking about life; that's Arthur Schopenhauer's thoughts on life.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every southern friend that I have says that they grew up knowing a whole shitload of guys like Marty, that Woody Harrelson nailed the attitude of a middle-class southern white father. None of them ever met a guy like Rust.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

marty was a perfect character yeah

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

not enough southerners read ligotti

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I thought the whole series was good and I enjoyed it and look forward to what they come up with for season 2.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

not enough southerners read ligotti

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

I thought the whole series was good and I enjoyed it and look forward to what they come up with for season 2.

I'm ambivalent about season 2. I was excited when I heard that they had Brad Pitt in talks for one of the leads, but then they hired Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm ambivalent about season 2. I was excited when I heard that they had Brad Pitt in talks for one of the leads, but then they hired Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

Yes, I too would have been excited for the man starring in great movies like World War Z.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wendigee posted:

yep. the backlash is mostly contrarianism mixed with nerds disappointed it wasnt cthulu all along

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No. 6 posted:

Yes, I too would have been excited for the man starring in great movies like World War Z.

I think he would've been well-cast as a detective in a limited-run TV series. :colbert:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think he would've been well-cast as a detective in a limited-run TV series. :colbert:

He had his detective role in Se7en

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No. 6 posted:

He had his detective role in Se7en

That film had more in common with Angel Heart than it did with LA Confidential.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm more of a 'rusty pole' man. (poo poo dick)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

I'm more of a 'rusty pole' man. (poo poo dick)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn4aLokf-t8

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yep. the backlash is mostly contrarianism mixed with nerds disappointed it wasnt cthulu all along

something between cthulu/killing the top evil pedo power brokers and killing the retard savant groundskeeper would have been better imo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

also rust's speech at the end is atrociously bad

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

Why

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

something between cthulu/killing the top evil pedo power brokers and killing the retard savant groundskeeper would have been better imo

but it kinda was... didn't you see the weird visual and cosmic cloud/blackness things in the last couple episodes especially when he was fighting in that circular room with the top pedo?

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I think thats a bunch of whiney bullshit OP

naem
May 29, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

Was disappointed by the lack of republican conspiracy pedo cult Cthulhu honestly

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

because its all about his dead daughter and spiritualism, finding some kind of heaven, and it doesnt fit with the character or the theme imo

Wendigee posted:

but it kinda was... didn't you see the weird visual and cosmic cloud/blackness things in the last couple episodes especially when he was fighting in that circular room with the top pedo?

i guess im ok with the lack of justice in the story but i feel like the end skates over it without dealing with CARCOSA CARCOSA THE YELLOW KING at all. it built it up and didnt really address it or even adequately dismiss it

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
you are retarded

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

TEAYCHES posted:

It was copied word for word from an Alan Moore comic

I don't think gbs is contrarian enough to hate alan moore but I could be wrong

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
this show was good, and now I always start drinking at noon on my days off

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

because its all about his dead daughter and spiritualism, finding some kind of heaven, and it doesnt fit with the character or the theme imo

Huh, must have missed that poo poo. Gonna rewatch to see if I can learn a new hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

i guess im ok with the lack of justice in the story but i feel like the end skates over it without dealing with CARCOSA CARCOSA THE YELLOW KING at all. it built it up and didnt really address it or even adequately dismiss it

what? it goes back to the rape cult from early creole settler days (pre carnival carnival) and the yellow king poem

basically just confirmation that Erol Childress wasn't the leader of the cult and that Marty and Rust didn't catch everyone

[edit] i ran out of netflix queue, i might watch the series again this week and see if my opinion has changed

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread