Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

moose face posted:

Definitely op I am a sexy alcoholic existentialist weirdo

same but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

time is a flat circle

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Seizure Robot posted:

That show was really good until it turned out it was actually really bad

yeah episode 7 and 8 and whaaat no :(

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

not enough southerners read ligotti

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yep. the backlash is mostly contrarianism mixed with nerds disappointed it wasnt cthulu all along

something between cthulu/killing the top evil pedo power brokers and killing the retard savant groundskeeper would have been better imo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

also rust's speech at the end is atrociously bad

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

because its all about his dead daughter and spiritualism, finding some kind of heaven, and it doesnt fit with the character or the theme imo

Wendigee posted:

but it kinda was... didn't you see the weird visual and cosmic cloud/blackness things in the last couple episodes especially when he was fighting in that circular room with the top pedo?

i guess im ok with the lack of justice in the story but i feel like the end skates over it without dealing with CARCOSA CARCOSA THE YELLOW KING at all. it built it up and didnt really address it or even adequately dismiss it

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Wendigee posted:

what? it goes back to the rape cult from early creole settler days (pre carnival carnival) and the yellow king poem

basically just confirmation that Erol Childress wasn't the leader of the cult and that Marty and Rust didn't catch everyone

[edit] i ran out of netflix queue, i might watch the series again this week and see if my opinion has changed

it heavily implied something way way larger, a power political pedo conspiracy way beyond the idiot they trusted to mow lawns on state property and it didnt go anywhere with it - ok so they didnt fix a huge conspiracy, fine, but they dont even address that at the end

the vhs with the horrific cult abuse, blackmailing the local law enforcement with it on the boat, and confronting the powerful evangelist ultimately leads nowhere

TEAYCHES fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 11, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

From beat one it's a nihilistic show about the overbearing nature of a pointlessly cruel universe and how the individual must, ultimately, manufacture any kind of relationship with reality that allows them to cope with their own mortality, impotence, and inability to ever truly discern if they are operating with agency or if their actions & emotions are simply the inevitable product of chemical transactions. Nothing being solved and the most tortured of the two protagonists making a treacly peace with the darkness by falling back on old school dualism is pretty much perfect.

i hadnt really considered this, you make a compelling argument. i guess i wanted more satisfying teevee teevee but maybe thats the wrong way to look at it

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

fargo was really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Toadvine posted:

Season two will be good television also.

we actually dont know that yet, until we watch it. i am reserving my judgement until that point

• Locked thread