Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

About the Series

Chihayafuru is a manga series by Yuki Suetsugu, author of various shoujo and josei manga, such as Your Silver Wings and Flower of Eden. After a plagiarism scandal, her career was put on hiatus for several years - Chihayafuru is her first manga series since coming back from hiatus. It's won several awards and appeared multiple times on top sales charts, so while it's not moving One Piece numbers, it's a pretty good success. An anime by Madhouse (Death Note, Trigun) and directed by Morio Asaka (Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits) was produced in 2011, with a second season in 2013.

About the Story
Chihaya Ayase is a tomboyish and energetic girl who becomes fascinated by the obscure world of competitive Karuta, a card game based on Japanese poetry. Introduced to the aggressive style of the game by a quiet and thoughtful elementary school classmate named Arata Wataya, the two quickly become close friends. They start playing as a group with Taichi Mashima, Chihaya’s smart and athletic childhood friend, but eventually, circumstances tear the three friends apart.

Come high school, Chihaya is still fervently practicing Karuta. Upon finally being reunited with Taichi, she immediately gets him to - reluctantly - from a karuta club at their school with her. Chihaya has two goals: become the best player she can be, and, hopefully, be reunited with Arata through the sport.

About Karuta

okay there are way too many rules here and the show explains it itself but basically it's a game where you slap cards with poems on them

the poems are all really old japanese poems

ill update this section later

Characters

Chihaya Ayase
CV: Asami Seto (Iona in Wixoss, Lan in Rinne no Lagrange)
Poem: Impassionate gods have never seen the red that is the Tatsuta River.

The protagonist, with protagonist-like personality traits. Tomboyish, energetic, and good-natured, and, well, impassioned. While she loves the competition, she can be petty towards her rivals, and she sometimes lets her status as the team's best player get to her head. This isn't born of malice on her part - she's just very driven towards her goal of being the best player she can be.

Wants to date Kana.

Taichi Mashima
CV: Mamoru Miyano (Setsuna in Gundam 00, Okabe in Steins;Gate)
Ex-Girlfriends: 1

One of Chihaya's childhood friends. He functions as the straight man to Chihaya's energy, bringing her back down to earth when she needs it and keeping her goals centered in reality. While he can often come across as a buzzkill, he has a good head on his shoulders and knows what she - and the rest of the team - need to do to succeed. However, he can easily get discouraged, and tends to only do things if he's sure he can win. Compared to Chihaya's straight forward way of playing, his is very safe, and calculated, relying more on his memory than his reflexes.

Also wants to date Kana.

Kanade Oe
CV: Ai Kayano (Mayaka in Hyouka, Saori in Girls und Panzer)
Height: Tiny

A raw recruit in Chihaya and Taichi's club, Kanade (called Kana-chan by most of the club) is a very traditional girl. She knows all of the poems by heart, her mother owns a traditional clothing store, and she spends most of her time reading classic Japanese literature. She helps Chihaya and the others gain a better appreciation of the sport by explaining the context and history behind the poems, and also provides them with their kicking rad kimonos while they play.

Everyone wants to date her.

Yusei "Porky" Nishida
CV: Toru Nara (T. Hawk in Street Fighter 4, Scrawcrow in Jormungand)
Meatbuns consumed: Infinite

An old hand at Karuta, he started playing at the same age Taichi and Chihaya did - but quit after a decisive loss to Arata, choosing to take up tennis instead. After meeting Chihaya, he realizes that tennis could never replace Karuta in his heart, and so joins the club. He has a 'tough guy' demeanor and can often be round around the edges, but he's loyal to his friends and uses his experience with the sport to give tips when the team needs it.

Wants to date Kana.

Tsutomu Komano
CV: Tsubasa Yonaga (Nagisa in Free!, Jude in Tales of Xillia)
Desks clung to: At least one

A short, socially awkward boy that's done nothing but study throughout his whole school life. At first resenting Taichi for being the school's top student even without trying, he's eventually convinced - with much carrying - to join the karuta club. While his skills are probably the worst of the team, he has many out-of-the-game skills: gathering information on opponents, as well as coming up with strategies to take advantage of their weak points.

Really wants to date Kana.

Arata Wataya
CV: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Reiner in Attack on Titan, Sousuke in Free!)
Favorite Cellphone Color: Pink

A quiet young man from Fukui. He initially had trouble fitting in, but Chihaya and Taichi's friendship gave him a place to belong. However, he moved away from them before too long, and at the start of the series hasn't spoken to either of them in years. While quiet, and somewhat shy, he isn't meek, and can often come across deathly serious about even small things.

Suo Hisashi
CV: Hiroki Tochi (Apollon in Aquarion Evol, Twice in Fate/Extra)

The current master (strongest male player) of karuta. Despite his lofty position, he has a strange, lackadaisical demeanor that often makes people dislike him. He's so laid back, in fact, that he still hasn't graduated from college. He takes some interest in Chihaya - and hates Taichi, as it happens.

Shinobu Wakamiya
CV: Nakamichi Mihoko (Nothing else. Literally nothing else. What the hell.)
Birdman Rallies Watched: 1

The current queen (strongest female player) of karuta. A quiet, serious person who, due to her skill at the game, often feels like she's playing alone. However, the right circumstances can unlock a very strong competitive spirit in her, as shown in her match with Chihaya. After their first match, her and Chihaya strike up an odd friendship - with the promise that Shinobu won't let her get a single card the next time they play.

Likes cute mascots.

Akito Sudo

gently caress this guy

Why should I watch Chihayafuru?

Because It Is Good

The show is, well, poetry in motion, with the matches coming across beautifully - even though the characters are just slapping cards, the show is a visual treat when it gets going. here's some gifs:

Besides the matches, the characters have so much enthusiasm for what they're doing that it's easy to get swept in with them. The game is a little esoteric, even silly, but the show gives it a lot of respect and clearly has a lot of love for it. If I'd just heard of the game via word-of-mouth of random googling, I probably would have dismissed it, but the show does a great job convincing you that, yes, it's totally a legitimate sport.

The characters are all likable and bounce off of each other well, both in comedic situations and in more serious ones, and while the show is shoujo at its core, it never pushes aside the sport for the sake of the romantic drama - heck, there's barely any romantic drama at all, and when it does happen the characters are so well-established that it feels earned.

At the end of the day, Chihayafuru is just a very genuine show, with genuine characters, and I really like it for that. A lot of shows can feel a little manufactured, and self-aware humor is growing more and more prevalent. I can appreciate a show that just goes for what it wants to do without any shame. The comedy works, the drama works, it gets you to care about the sport, the characters are all engaging and likable - what's not to love?

Where can I watch Chihayafuru?

If you're in Australia, it actually did get a DVD release there, I think. Hooray for you.

Besides that, it's on Crunchyroll.

Can I talk about the manga?

Yes, but put anything that hasn't been covered by the anime in spoiler tags.

Who do you want to date?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
YOU DONE hosed UP THE TAG. CONGRATS ON SULLYING THE CHIHAYA NAME.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
poo poo

ill take 'japan lover' or 'asia,' beef waifu. plz save me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
also i put 'round around the edges' instead of 'rough around the edges' in porky's bio but im keeping that because holy poo poo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

also i put 'round around the edges' instead of 'rough around the edges' in porky's bio but im keeping that because holy poo poo

lol

also how have three people hosed up the poll already

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Good stuff.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

This is a legit great show and good proof that you can make any subject entertaining if you tell it well enough.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

op contains no barrel roll gif, 0/10

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Endorph posted:

poo poo

There should be a Cardslappin' tag for this thread and this thread alone.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The only good thread in this gay forum imo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

op contains no barrel roll gif, 0/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMUlvhsS0s

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

if the gay mod of this forum had any idea how to be cool or funny he would fix this poll in the proper way since ADTRW posters are retarded .

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

if the gay mod of this forum had any idea how to be cool or funny he would fix this poll in the proper way since ADTRW posters are retarded .

Im mad about it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i voted for shinobu :twisted:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

terrible

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

Oh poo poo! I forgot about Shinobu!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's me, ping pong guy, coming into this thread to say that if you watched the anime you should start the manga at :siren: Chapter 93 :siren:. The anime actually ends about halfway through the chapter but there is some new stuff, and then you get to keep reading! Some of the stuff, which really isn't spoilers but I'm spoiling it anyway: Arata actually doing stuff, digging into what makes Suo tick, and a general and smart fleshing out of things beyond the core crew before SUDDEN EXPLOSIONS OF OMG ROMANCE that are really loving brilliant.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

poo poo

It should be "SPORTS"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Voted Retro because gently caress you.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i think Chihayafuru is the only story where i have liked the show more than the manga. i tried to read the manga a few different times but it just wasnt the same.

----------------

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i think Chihayafuru is the only story where i have liked the show more than the manga. i tried to read the manga a few different times but it just wasnt the same.

It's a really well put adaption that adds a lot with it's direction, music, and performances.

i coukdnt get into the comic either

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just got done rewatching episode 19 of the second season. The slow, slooow pace of the tournament is all paid off in this one, it's so loving good. I remember some of the matches, but forget the details, so it was really loving tense, too.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Why was there no option for obese Shinobu? This poll is so thin privilege

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Porky is on there.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
How is Harada-sensei not a poll option? He's so dreamy, I woul-

Oh, right. Fine then, voted Shinobu.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

there's a milf that's going to be introduced in season 3 so i choose her

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

there's a milf that's going to be introduced in season 3 so i choose her

are you talking about the coach lady or is there antoher one?

----------------

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

are you talking about the coach lady or is there antoher one?

i forgot about the coach lady i choose both the milfs

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
You guys are the worst how could you not vote for Taichi.

Also thank you for making a thread for my favorite amine that isn't kon

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
There will never be a season 3.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Razzled posted:

You guys are the worst how could you not vote for Taichi.

Taichi will always be second place in my heart

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Taichi is jack of all trades, master of none.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

There will never be a season 3.

The earliest possible moment where we could have gotten a season 3 was just a month ago (we finally have enough manga, and enough lead for the production to plan) and the TV staff is working on another project (the adaptation of fantastic manga My Love Story!!). And, unlike most manga adaptions, it never had the manga publisher on the production committee so it's not tied to what they wish to promote. There could be another season as soon as 2016, and it's not unheard of for new seasons to pop up years down the line. Think of the new Durarara airing right now, or the new Haruhi coming this year.

I mean holy poo poo, we got a new season of Mushi-Shi a decade after the last one and over five years after the manga ended. Season 3 2023 anyone?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i dont want to have to watch chihayafuru s3 through my red cyborg vision

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Well by that point anime will be projected directly into your retinas

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Final boss of Chihayafuru is a karuta playing robot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
While I am holding out hope for a season 3 and haven't jumped over to the manga yet, my patience isn't infinite and if an announcement doesn't pop up sometime soon after Ore Monogatari!! is done I'll start reading it.

I voted for Arata :goleft:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

The Devil Tesla posted:

The earliest possible moment where we could have gotten a season 3 was just a month ago (we finally have enough manga, and enough lead for the production to plan) and the TV staff is working on another project (the adaptation of fantastic manga My Love Story!!). And, unlike most manga adaptions, it never had the manga publisher on the production committee so it's not tied to what they wish to promote. There could be another season as soon as 2016, and it's not unheard of for new seasons to pop up years down the line. Think of the new Durarara airing right now, or the new Haruhi coming this year.

I mean holy poo poo, we got a new season of Mushi-Shi a decade after the last one and over five years after the manga ended. Season 3 2023 anyone?

Wait. I just spent five minutes trying to find news of this, can you link me?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not called 'haruhi,' so that's probably the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not really that exciting.