Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try Zazzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Senerio posted:

I'll grant you that, but the two of them are going to marry KCaruta first.

Either that or that snowman.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Oh man, that is tempting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only goes up to 3XL unfortunately. :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Only goes up to 3XL unfortunately. :(

Poor Shinobu. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Poor Shinobu. :(
shinobu worked that weight back off, tyvm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like that shining didn't realize she had put on weight until the middle of the match.

It's the most chihaya thing she's done.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

So, Chihaya, what do you think about romance?

Yeah, same here.

I couldn't help myself and peeked at some of the upcoming matches in the manga, and holy crap they look good. The author needs to book MMA/pro-wrestling matches. She knows how to make a good match-up.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 24, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

So, Chihaya, what do you think about romance?

Yeah, same here.

I couldn't help myself and peeked at some of the upcoming matches in the manga, and holy crap they look good. The author needs to book MMA/pro-wrestling matches. She knows how to make a good match-up.

Are you making all those gifs? Either way, they completely own, there's so many i haven't seen.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, they're all my own. I looked through the archived threads and some of them are pretty much the same as some of mine, so I apologize for repeats!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk if there is one, but if not please make a gif out of this moment

she's doing the weird hand thing iirc

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Oh yeah, that also reminds me that thanks to this show, I now get the karuta gag during the gameshow skit in Carnival Phantasm.

And I couldn't help myself and started reading the latest chapters of the manga, even though I know I'm going to be left wanting more.

EDIT: Also it really says something about how great this series is when this was a legitimate :tviv: moment.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 26, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
http://bato.to/read/_/306990/chihayafuru_ch141_by_tdx

New chapter is up. Where Taichi gets schooled by Suou.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: manga spoilers It's not been that many chapters since the big downer, and yet we've had so many things change in interesting ways. Having the Karuta club functional without those two really does soften the blow and is more interesting to read about. Like all the characters aren't really in a good place because of this, but they're also not completely broken and still have things they care about. And that's not even mentioning how it looks like they're going to wrap it up, with something that connects and Taichi and Sou, advances Sou's characterization, and reflects deeply on the series romantic view of youth. One of my favorite chapters and I can't wait for the next.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

EDIT: Also it really says something about how great this series is when this was a legitimate :tviv: moment.

I know right? That scene and the fact that a scene of someone asking for a towel and receiving one could literally make me catch my breath really drives home for me just how well-made the show is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think this says a lot too. :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Poil posted:

I think this says a lot too. :v:

What's really cool is that even though all of the opponents have their quirks, pretty much all of them are a legitimate threat and don't seem like some kind of throwaway opponent. I guess the exception would be the Chiba school, but I would totally see them coming back as an actual strong team.

As for the manga

Really cool to see the Suou and Taichi dynamic, and holy poo poo Tamaru really pisses me off. Reminds me of people I knew in real life that had a passive-aggressive superiority complex.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 28, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter.

It was good.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

i loving love cardslappers

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I love how as they progress through a tournament each player is a unique threat without just being MORE POWERFUL THAN THE LAST like some sorta Dragonball Z power ramp. Like the last match in the highschool team tourney where Chihaya is put up against Fujisaki's ace in the hole. Plenty of other shows would have every character gasping about "such power" from this character who came out of nowhere but instead they speak just as much about her weaknesses and her inabilities to win tournaments, but she still comes across as a completely legitimate threat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

:aaaaa: I missed that scene, that's amazing if that pre-dated Chiahayafuru.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

:aaaaa: I missed that scene, that's amazing if that pre-dated Chiahayafuru.
karuta is a cultural thing in japan. it predates chihayafuru by literally hundreds of years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is like a japanese guy watching an american show with the white house in it and going 'woah, this is amazing if it predates independence day'

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Endorph posted:

karuta is a cultural thing in japan. it predates chihayafuru by literally hundreds of years.

No I meant that specific reference in Konata, hence the "that scene", I'm well aware of how far back when Hundred Poems dates to.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I do love the idea of Karuta being something they invented solely for Chihayafuru.

Nerf the Chihaya card please, it's way OP. Looking forward to the Taichi expansion!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That was such an awesome moment. Shinobu's reaction to Arata's god speed slap was great.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Arata is pretty good for a guy who always has a cold.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

he looks like a dork. Go go Gadget extendo arm!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-11/yuki-suetsugu-chihayafuru-manga-gets-live-action-film/.87023

w-woo

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Well what if it's like really good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If it's popular enough for a film it's popular enough for a third season right?

please :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Less disappointing than I expected, not as good as I hoped.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The second season of Kaiji was timed around promoting a live action movie so that might happen again, who knows?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there really enough of the manga to make a satisfying 3rd season yet? I'd rather wait than have them stretch things out or leave it on an odd note.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think we just got to the point recently where there's enough chapters to cover another season the same length as the first two.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I get no satisfaction out of predicting this.

Sakurazuka posted:

I think we just got to the point recently where there's enough chapters to cover another season the same length as the first two.

I don't think it forms a cohesive enough arc though, or at least I can't think of any good point to end it satisfactorily. Admittedly there were a lot of Karuta matches so maybe I'm just forgetting some downtime chapter that would be a decent endpoint for a potential season 3.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This makes me feel like I'm five and at Walmart and my mom won't buy me a toy. I want to fall down crying and screaming. People stare. My face grows hideous as tears mix with mustache wax. My desperate pleading for season 3 is no longer intelligible. My mother is forced to pick me up bodily and carry me from the store, leaving her intended purchases behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm very disappointed.