Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

so my girfriends havin' a birthday so we're going to hawaii in march. plan is, 5 nights on oahu, 4 nights on hawaii. just got esta approval. it will be our first time in the us, so that's also pretty cool. plan is to drink on beaches and maybe go check out the stars on mauna kea with some :sigh: tour group one night. so whats cool there and what are good things to know about hawaiiii?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Does aloha really mean both hello and goodbye because that strikes me as incredibly lazy people tighten up get your poo poo together Hawaii.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

the locals will hate you

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Shaved ice. North Shore. Dole Plantation. Polynesian Cultural Center.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You need to get this book if you want to speak to the locals brah, http://www.amazon.com/Pidgin-Max-Douglas-Simonson/dp/093584841X

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Not the temperature, that's for sure.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Steal an island. They won't even notice.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

eat all the chinese and japanese food, its better than anything you get on da mainland. if you have to vacation in oahu stay the gently caress away from honolulu, its basically phoenix

also

kazr posted:

the locals will hate you

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yup the locals hate mainlanders with a passion i found that out, the hawaiian hawaiian ones at least

Skip oahu, go to maui

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I used to work on the Big Island.

After a few days on Oahu, you will probably find the snorkling, surf, and beaches disappointing on Hawaii. Just so many tourist-friendly options on Oahi. Big Island isn't as such. Kona side is windy w/ high surf; Hilo rains. There aren't as many people by far, but lots of people are bored visiting there.

I go back every couple of years to relax. My recommendations for Big Island is to try and go local. Someone gives you poo poo for being a tourist tell them you were supposed to be in Oahu but it was too crazy and you needed a break. That might buy you some slack. I guess Volcano National Park is partially-closed, but if you head over there do eat at Ohia in Volcano (sandwich place). We used to go to this karaoke place Hilo-side that, once you lasted a few songs, or came in a few nights, pupus were free. Same side of the island island is the Alae Cemetery. Depending on where you are from that can be pretty awesome.

Some of the best Bodhi trees are on the Big Island, Hilo-side. There's a bunch by the one big hotel, but a favorite drinking spot is by the FedEx/Hawaiian Cargo buildings. Sounds ridiculous but there's a random park there with some huge trees.

One of the best holdouts on the islands is Waipio Valley on the NW corner. You have to have a 4x4 vehicle or the local constable will make you hike it. If you are in shape the hike is worth it. Most tourists give up 1/3 of the way down. I was a little irritated last time I was there at the number of helicopter tours that fly over. Black sand; bound by waterfalls on the left, right, and rear, good surf to the north. Also a good place to camp (have to pack everything in and out - no facilities).

I'm too lazy to check weather, but the Big Island is one of the few places where you can wake up in a rainforest (Hilo), drive up to an active volcano to poke lava, then over to a snow-covered mountain, then down into a desert (Kona) beach setting, all in the same day.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

hope you like homeless people op

big island is the best island tho

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

kazr posted:

the locals will hate you

some will be on meth.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Spam and Polynesian pussy

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Go to the beach

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

hawaii is where middle america sends its homeless, so i'm sure there will be many people with interesting stories to tell and mental illnesses to exhibit

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

thanks for the effort post rebounded, esp part about trees since gf is gay for them. that little camping adventure is probably a non-starter, because that poo poo requires lots of luggage and driving's probably going to be hard enough since apparently everyone drives on the wrong side of the road there. it doesn't matter about it being boring because we'll be drunk on that insanely cheap american alcohol and we'll have video games and poo poo. i might even get some work done.

we usually 'go local' though when we travel though, figuring a place out is really the fun of it for us. it does make it harder to meet people but what are you going to do

other points that would be cool:
- what is good regions to stay on both islands? prob going to airbnb. sounds like hilo is the place on the big island; we like rain.
- good places to party on her actual birthday on oahu
- how cheap is lego there because i like lego
- good beaches to get drunk on / are there any cool beach bonfires you can chill at like a beer commercial or are they illegal

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
If you're with cool people it's gonna own regardless

but yeah i imagine it'd be hard not to enjoy the atmosphere

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Stay at the Aulani. It's the best hotel on Oahu.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Go diving if you're certified. It's the best diving I've done in my life (Dived on oahu and maui)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
you can learn how to do the kamehameha wave

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
find master roshi and beg him to teach you

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I recommend drinking on the beach

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
My wife is Hawaiian while I have never been I look forward to the apparently endless supply of wild attack pigs that inhabit the island.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
go golfing if you're a white middle-aged piece of poo poo

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

maui
lahaina
tojos

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
seems like a kinda boring and expensive place

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nefarious posted:

go golfing if you're a white middle-aged piece of poo poo

let me go to this beautiful tropical island paradise so i can hit a small white ball around on an artificial landscape instead of experiencing the majesty of nature

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

If you wanna jump off a rock 45 feet up into a pool Kapena Falls is off the Pali highway on Oahu. They filmed a bunch of scenes from Lost there as well.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The Volcano national park thing is cool.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

go to haleakala and look at all of the nothing so high up

maybe at night it'll be more interesting, with the stars..

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
hang ten (locals from trees) :twisted:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
poke a stick into some lava. it's cool

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

enjoy your poo poo internet island fucker

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

take a #selfie

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

a friend of mine spent 6 months on Hawaii, in some place called Hilo. according to him it was terrible, just terrible.
it was basically a big parking lot with sweltering heat, 90% air humidity and rain all the time. and everyone who lived there was a fat, stupid, pothead drunk driver.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Randarkman posted:

a friend of mine spent 6 months on Hawaii, in some place called Hilo. according to him it was terrible, just terrible.
it was basically a big parking lot with sweltering heat, 90% air humidity and rain all the time. and everyone who lived there was a fat, stupid, pothead drunk driver.

sounds like paradise

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

check out the samadhi village

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's too bad you're going in march, that's just after the nice rainy season when the swells are sweet. Hanauma is cool for snorkeling and you can jump off the big rock at waimea bay.

you could try asking for the kama'aina discount at a lot of places and if they ask for state ID you could tell them you forgot it, but it's worth a try. might not work if you look too touristy but tourists don't even know the word or what it means anyway

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

It's too bad you're going in march, that's just after the nice rainy season when the swells are sweet. Hanauma is cool for snorkeling and it means no worries for the rest of ur days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

you could try asking for the kama'aina discount at a lot of places and if they ask for state ID you could tell them you forgot it, but it's worth a try. might not work if you look too touristy but tourists don't even know the word or what it means anyway

it means "im gay"

• Locked thread