Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you play this singleplayer, you'll just have the cats as help, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is that fourth page larger or can it overflow into the other pages if you're gathering a lot of stuff?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Assuming it even goes up at midnight you'll have to compete with Majora's Mask wanters for bandwidth so gl

Smash bros took me an hour to download at launch. I doubt it will be any worse.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Is that fourth page larger or can it overflow into the other pages if you're gathering a lot of stuff?

It's just an additional page that you can only use during a quest, not any kind of replacement.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

RentACop posted:

Yes, but you should play both SP and MP.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

RentACop posted:

If the carryover from previous versions is truth, you can take one along with a 2-player multiplayer, but you add a third person, and the cats are gone.

It happened in 3U, and I think in Portable 3rd, so it wouldn't surprise me that 4U allows two players to bring a cat each.

Also, just got a notification to pay up for my reservation prior to the midnight release, so I'm going to have that done tomorrow morning.

And my circle pad broke off my XL. Looking into replacement, but fortunately, I can still hun the mon with the tiny nub still left over :getin:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mistle posted:

And my circle pad broke off my XL. Looking into replacement, but fortunately, I can still hun the mon with the tiny nub still left over :getin:

You, truly, are a dedicated hunter. Hats off to you.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
After you kill a Seltas one of its legs will twitch until the quest ends... I don't know why but that level of detail actually made me go "ew". It was like I had killed an actual giant bug and it was still spasming on the ground.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Emalde posted:

Namely just some numbers tweaks. Sword mode lost about ~7-10% raw damage, a couple of axe attacks lost ~13% on their damage modifier, and the power phial was reduced to 1.20x from 1.25x
Power Phial's been a 1.2x multiplier since P3rd, unless they bumped it up when going back to 3G/U.

Mistle posted:

If the carryover from previous versions is truth, you can take one along with a 2-player multiplayer, but you add a third person, and the cats are gone.

It happened in 3U, and I think in Portable 3rd, so it wouldn't surprise me that 4U allows two players to bring a cat each.
Yeah, cats still work this way.

Funkmaster General posted:

The final pouch is the gunner pouch, which holds ammo and (I think) coatings, so that these don't end up taking regular inventory space.
Yup, coating counts as ammo for the pouch.

Volt Catfish posted:

Why are all unique hammers so loving cool
Because hammer is #1

Neo_Crimson posted:

I literally can't scratch my hunting itch because the r button my 3DS has gone dead and I can't use like half the weapons in the game because of that.
So you're going to be a GS main, right

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Nahxela posted:

So you're going to be a GS main, right

But you can block with the GS :downs:

(I literally did it one time and I felt icky as gently caress)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Nobody's heard about any awful mechanics like the MH3U charm table, right? I don't want to make my character at 11:07 instead of 11:06 and find out thirty hours in that I gimped myself.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That was a bug, not a mechanic.

e: Specifically, it was a bug in the mechanic; every time you loaded a save your charm table was supposed to change, but it was bugged and got locked to the one you started your game with. Capcom just never patched it because :effort:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Haquer posted:

He can use Autoguard :pseudo:

Elysiume posted:

Nobody's heard about any awful mechanics like the MH3U charm table, right? I don't want to make my character at 11:07 instead of 11:06 and find out thirty hours in that I gimped myself.
The charm tables aren't character locked, they reroll when you restart the game. Additionally, there's an NPC later on that works kind of like the chip traders in Megaman Battle Network. Give him a handful of charms, and he'll spit out a rerolled one for you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Haquer posted:

Sometimes you swing that sword and you know that a roll dodge afterward will only make you eat a hit. Sometimes you just gotta wince and guard like a bitch.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ignimbrite posted:

That was a bug, not a mechanic.

e: Specifically, it was a bug in the mechanic; every time you loaded a save your charm table was supposed to change, but it was bugged and got locked to the one you started your game with. Capcom just never patched it because :effort:
Interesting. Can't imagine it being a bug instead of a mechanic was any consolation for the people who got hit with a crappy table, though. :v:

Nahxela posted:

The charm tables aren't character locked, they reroll when you restart the game. Additionally, there's an NPC later on that works kind of like the chip traders in Megaman Battle Network. Give him a handful of charms, and he'll spit out a rerolled one for you.
That sounds like a pretty solid improvement.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Elysiume posted:

This also is in the OP

Nahxela posted:

But Nahxela has some extra useful info here too. <3

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Haquer posted:

Yes, but you should play both SP and MP.

Yeah, I usually only play coop with friends but none of my friends like Hunting Action so it's time to dump those chumps

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RentACop posted:

Yeah, I usually only play coop with friends but none of my friends like Hunting Action so it's time to dump those chumps
If you hunt with a full team of Hunting Horns, do you fight for the right to an instrument? We can't have two guitarists in our band, you know.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You have to beat SP in order to unlock G-Rank so do that

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Nahxela posted:

He can use Autoguard :pseudo:

I'm cringing irl you just can't see me

uuuuggghhhhh

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Nahxela posted:

If you hunt with a full team of Hunting Horns, do you fight for the right to an instrument? We can't have two guitarists in our band, you know.

What do you mean? Bands need at least two guitars.

There's lead, bass, and rhythm that I know of. I'm sure there are other guitar roles that could be filled.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I will crush so many monsters beneath my hammer

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

liquidypoo posted:

What do you mean? Bands need at least two guitars.

There's lead, bass, and rhythm that I know of. I'm sure there are other guitar roles that could be filled.
Our band needs a guitar, an oversized harmonica, a coffin, and a seashell. I don't know what kind of bands you play in.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nahxela posted:

I call the coffin. Clearly the best instrument.

...Wait crud I don't think that it' returning, even via trades. Dang.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
We also accept Khezu Kazoos.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Haquer posted:

I'm cringing irl you just can't see me

uuuuggghhhhh

i used autoguard all the way up through alatreon in tri get down on my level

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I guard all the time with my great sword I am not ashamed of my dented dragon dong

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u

ronpaul-itshappening.gif

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

how hard is Glaive to pick up? i didn't try it yet in the demo and i'm trying to keep my hands off it until release now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm kind of assy with it but it seems pretty easy to pick up. Get essence, get mounts, wail on the monster's head with your combo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Awesome! posted:

so are the gunner and blademaster inventories not separate any more

Oh my god please be the case.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
I saw a thing where you can actually save item sets to take with you ("this is my bow set" "this is my bowgun set" "this is my DS set with dash juice" "this is my gunlance set" etc), unless I'm mistaken on what I saw on video?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

how hard is Glaive to pick up? i didn't try it yet in the demo and i'm trying to keep my hands off it until release now

I found the kinsect mechanic to it to be the real complicating factor to it, as the whole "murder things by planned button mashing" aspect of attacking is straightforward.

It does have a vaulting mechanic, so there's that, too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh my god please be the case.

It is

greth posted:

I saw a thing where you can actually save item sets to take with you ("this is my bow set" "this is my bowgun set" "this is my DS set with dash juice" "this is my gunlance set" etc), unless I'm mistaken on what I saw on video?

Yep

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mistle posted:

I found the kinsect mechanic to it to be the real complicating factor to it, as the whole "murder things by planned button mashing" aspect of attacking is straightforward.

It does have a vaulting mechanic, so there's that, too.

The kinsect sounds complicated but it's really not. It just boils down to hitting head, body and tail with the insect to get every color. There's the whole lock on mechanic for the insect but at least vs. the monsters in the demo I found it was easier to not lock on and just aim by position it like any other attack.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

A Miserable Robot posted:

After you kill a Seltas one of its legs will twitch until the quest ends... I don't know why but that level of detail actually made me go "ew". It was like I had killed an actual giant bug and it was still spasming on the ground.

The Vespoid Queen was the same way and it always made me just as uncomfortable.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think he's referring to the upgrading of the Kinsect, which seems pretty confusing. I want to use Insect Glaive but I think I'll wait until late-game to try it. I'm really excited for this game and I know everybody's gonna be playing it but who knows when I'll get my copy? Meh...

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Incredibly important question: what is the gimmick for the chef felyne(s) in this one (in the sense that the 3U one was French, for example)?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

greth posted:

Incredibly important question: what is the gimmick for the chef felyne(s) in this one (in the sense that the 3U one was French, for example)?

He's chinese and says miao instead of meow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

• Locked thread